Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2003 4:17:24 AM EDT
I am debating on these two Items. The Tango Down m4 vertical foregrip and an M96-series type surefire light or just go for the Surefire m900a.

I hear wonderful things about the M900a but it would seem that the TD/m96 type combo would offer more options than the m900a.

Rifle is an M4gery (14.5 with brake) with knights RASII.

Any imput to help me decide is as alway greatly apreciated!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:40:48 AM EDT
[#1]
I seem to be in the minority here, but I changed back to M96 and vertical grip. Two reasons really. I am a lightweight freak, and the M900 weighs 19 ozs. Having said that, I gotta call the weight good weight, sometimes. When using the hand on the M900, it sure doesn't seem the carbine is that heavy. Superb ergonomic design here, believe the hype. My problem is when I change grips to the mag well. That weight is definitely noticeable, and turns into bad weight. The KAC grip M96 combo weighs 14.5 ozs (the Tango Down will only add an ounce). So it's not that big of a deal, but for a freak it matters. The better reason for me was accidental light discharge. I don't practice enough with using the M900 to prevent it. With the M96 and a thumb button, not a pressure pad, no discharge of light unless you intend for it to happen. It ain't going off unless I move my thumb over to it and press. It's just much easier to control, for me.
Of course, you just gotta get both and try it out, it's the ARFcom way. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 7:46:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Friday I installed a RAS II on my Bushie 14.5 carbine.  Monday or Tuesday, I should have my M900.  It is my first experience with either the RAS II or the M900.

I'll let you know how it goes.

The thing about a M900 is, I would think it owuld be fairly easy to re-sell if you do not like it.  Just don't bang it up though!
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 8:01:53 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm in the exact same boat.  I'm trying to decide between the TD vert grip and a M962SU06 or the M900A-RD.  I want to decide in the next three weeks so I know whether or not to buy the TD grip when it comes out.  

The 962 is tempting because I can take it off when I go to the range to keep weight and bulk down, plus I wouldn't have to buy it all at once.  The major down side to me is that it would be sticking 2" off the side of my SIR.

I like the M900 primarily because of the nav lights, so I wouldn't blind myself shining that 220 lumen beast at a white door to find a door knob.  The extra controls are a plus too.

I thought about getting a red filter for the 962, but that's too much to mess with when things go bump in the night.  I explained my dilema to my girlfriend and she actually told me to get the more expensive setup [:D]
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 11:39:05 AM EDT
[#4]
I think the M900 is a sleeker system and a good design, but I skipped it for several reasons.

My gun sees hard use.  It WILL take hard hits.  A vertical grip by nature is exposed to potential damage more easily.  Ive heard some people ask about metal VFGs and which ones are most likely to NOT break.  Truth be told, I want mine to be tough, but to eventually give if the impact is hard enough.  Reason?  Id rather have the $40 VFG crack then have something on there that doesnt and risk damaging my KAC RAS rail system.  While the 900 is pretty tough, if the grip portion is hit hard enough to damage it, you're out a $450 light system.

I prefer my 962 and my KAC VFG (soon to be replaced by Tango Down).  They operate well together, but can also survive independently of each other.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Lumpy summed it up pretty well.  

Eventually, you will get both [;)] but I agree the separate light and grip make for a more adaptable system.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 12:32:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the input... The 2 system is the way I am leaning....

Link Posted: 11/3/2003 4:17:02 AM EDT
[#7]
i believe the Marine SF guys are using a VFG and 96 series light, that sounds like a good endorsement to me.

CRS188 why do you sometimes go from the VFG to the magwell?  Just curious.
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 8:09:09 AM EDT
[#8]
curt, it is done to ward off muscle fatigue. It's good for me to sometimes change my week hand position for a short time when using the rifle for an extended period. I also practice shooting the rifle in weird/different positions to account for cover. Thanks.....Chad
Link Posted: 11/3/2003 5:02:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
i believe the Marine SF guys are using a VFG and 96 series light, that sounds like a good endorsement to me.

CRS188 why do you sometimes go from the VFG to the magwell?  Just curious.
View Quote

They are also using the M900.  Which system is used depends on the mission specific requirements.  I spent some time with the guy in the know, as far as USMC Force Recon and Det 1.  His carbine had the M900 on it.  It is a good light, no doubt.

YMMV
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 8:30:07 PM EDT
[#10]
I see the M96 and a VFG as giving you more flexibility.  If you do not need the light, you can remove it without having to remove the VFG also.  I also prefer to mount my light on the side of my weapon instead of on the bottom.  Just my own personal preference.
Link Posted: 11/6/2003 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#11]
I went with the 962 and dieter cqb grip and will be switching to the TD when it comes out.  I like the ability to take off the light and leave the grip or vice a versa If I am stuck on on long perimeter I have a quick detach bipod ready to go in place of the grip.  using the two gives you more options .
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I use the M900 and prefer the quick detatch capability so I can slap on my rail cover I keep on the side of my stock and go with a tradtional forearm.  I see a need to remove the grip more than the light.  I like the navigation LEDs which you cant get with seperate light.  I like the ability to use the tape switches or the constant on which you cant have with a seperate system.  I also like the balance of the light at 6 O'clock which is next to impossible with a 9V system.  Finally I like how the unit is more streamlied with no wires and has a master defeat switch even though it has tape switches which a seperate system cant have.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 11:38:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd like to see an "M600" variant with a shorter FG and a 6v light.
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#14]
I dont understand the grip legth issues people have with the M900.  Why would you want it shorter?  What would that accomplish?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 1:27:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like the ability to use the tape switches or the constant on which you cant have with a seperate system.
View Quote

From Buffertech:

"The Tango grip features a novel pocket that appears when needed, to positively mount pressure switches without movement or damage. Just remove the threaded end cap, slide out the filler panel and place inside the grip for storage. Just replace the panel with your pressure switch and replace the end cap to lock the switch in place"

Would this not work with a m96 series light?
Link Posted: 11/7/2003 6:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like the ability to use the tape switches or the constant on which you cant have with a seperate system.
View Quote

From Buffertech:

"The Tango grip features a novel pocket that appears when needed, to positively mount pressure switches without movement or damage. Just remove the threaded end cap, slide out the filler panel and place inside the grip for storage. Just replace the panel with your pressure switch and replace the end cap to lock the switch in place"

Would this not work with a m96 series light?
View Quote

Yep, it will work fine.  What Devl is saying is with the M96x series, you can have the tape switch / momentary on, or the push button/ constant on, but not both.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top