Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 10/19/2003 10:00:47 PM EDT
Hello folks.

I'm trying to think of a light to put on my carbine with ARMS SIR. I've been looking at M952/M962 series, but they seem to be heavy and will make my carbine very front heavy. The problem is I don't want to use a vertical grip, so I want a lightweight light that is rugged and puts more than 60 lumens.

Is there such a thing? I hear M3X might be the ticket...?
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 12:48:22 PM EDT
I tend to never advocate this, but the Surefire G2 would probably be a better, more durable option than a Insight M3. Although I have yet to see a M3X, Neither the SF G2 or the Insight M3 will have shock bezels, and I am convinced the G2 is more durable than the M3. I think I read that the M3X is waterproof? Is that the difference between it and the M3 or is it someting else/more? In the end, there's a fair amount of weight on the end of your rifle already with the SIR attatched. I would rather keep going ahead and building a top end upper with one of Surefire's Mellenium series lights like the M95xx or M96xx than buy an inferior light. The weight savings is not worth the loss of performance in my opinion.
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 1:14:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 11:21:46 AM EDT
Surefire P101 - I'm looking for one myself. The body is plastic (like the G2) but the shock isolated bezel is aluminum. Compact and lightweight. Think of it as a ruggedized M3 - using the same lamp assemblies as the 6P & G2. Which means you can select from 65lumens for 60 minutes or 120 lumens for 20 minutes. With a beam that is always in focus.
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 1:14:27 PM EDT
You can buy a Surefire G2 for around $29 and a shock-isolated bezel for it for another $29 (or a back-up G2 to replace the first if it goes out). For about $100-$120, you can even convert the G2 into a 9V, 125 lumen system with a shock isolated bezel - though it still won't be as tough as a dedicated weapon light and is starting to be in the same price range.
Link Posted: 10/23/2003 10:08:33 AM EDT
The Z31 Shock-isolated bezel is nice, but I don't have the heart to drop-test mine. However, I've beaten the ever-loving daylights of of the M2-HA3 bezel. (Thinks to self....)
Link Posted: 10/30/2003 8:11:03 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Forest: Surefire P101 - I'm looking for one myself. The body is plastic (like the G2) but the shock isolated bezel is aluminum. Compact and lightweight. ....
View Quote
Can anyone provide more information on this light? TIA
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 1:12:11 PM EDT
http://www.surefire.com/cgi-bin/main/co_disp/displ/carfnbr/111/prrfnbr/741
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 9:52:49 PM EDT
I have one of the P101 lights on one of my handguns. I tried to install it to a RAS 2 once, and while it did fit, it was VERY tight. So tight that it was very difficult to get off and made me not want to try it again. Forest is right though, it would be a good system. Lightweigh, rugged enough, good options with different bulbs... Hadnt really thought of that even though I have tried it, nore as a "I wonder if this will work" fleeting thought than something serious.
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:29:26 AM EDT
Neil - I think you'll find if you look at the mount on the P101 that the rails curve in at one end. Seems to be common for the handgun mounted lights. To use them on standard rails you'll need to do a bit of filing (Pete showed me this at his carbine class). In any event after talking with BrightFlashlights I decided to get the Classic 6V weapon light. While I REALLY like the idea of the P101 - the fact it doesn't have a momentary switch like the M3 means it will be useless on my carbine. But if you like tape switches they do make a version of the P101 with a tape switch for momentary use (I dislike tape switches).
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 7:46:35 AM EDT
Top Top