Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/16/2003 6:59:02 PM EDT
Just got done doing our night qual tonight, and I'm not very impressed with the M3.  Out of the 4 of that used them, we all had problems with them going out.  They would just go out in the middle of shooting.  Some of them would come back, and others didn't.  Mine is still acting up.  If I tap the light it'll sometimes work.  I've had mine for a couple of years now, and haven't had as many problems as I had tonight.

I can't wait for Sure Fire to come out with their new Handgun Lights.  I know they're more money, but they're worth it.  I've got an E2, 9AN, and a M97 mounted on my rifle and haven't had any problems with them.  

Anyone else had similar problems?  To any considering the M3 as a cheaper alternative to the Sure Fire, you'll get just what you're looking for, a Cheaper Light.

Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:17:28 AM EDT
[#1]
There's probably eight or nine of the M3's running on LE guns in my area besides the one I currently own. I've only seen one go out and it was on an M4 and was attatched to the RAS.

I have seen mention on tac forums recently where the M3's have had problems.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:21:53 AM EDT
[#2]
If you've had it for a couple of years, did you continously shoot it throughout that time? If so I think it's just time to get a new bulb; after all, bulbs do go bad after a while.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:05:01 AM EDT
[#3]
maybe you guys didn't latch the battery door properly.  If you actually got 4 bad lights there then you guys have some bad luck!
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:09:21 AM EDT
[#4]
My two M3's have never failed. My Surefire M500 had one lamp fail. Several lamps have failed in my 6P.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 4:17:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Weird.  I've had 2 M6s and 1 M3.  I have used them on Glocks & ARs without a single problem.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 8:23:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I can't figure out what would be going wrong with them.  We have had them for about 2 years without anything really going wrong.  I can't see it being the bulb causing the problem, because if that went bad, it wouldn't work at all.  Whereas ours would go out, and then come back after we shot a little more.  The other guys have just the rocker switch, and I have a pressure switch.  So, it doesn't seem to matter there.  I'll probably give the company a call and see what they have to say.
Link Posted: 10/17/2003 1:45:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't have one BUT.. I have read that if you unscrew it too much to focus the beam it will do that.  Just passing on what I've read, I don't believe everything I read.
Link Posted: 10/18/2003 3:55:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I don't have one BUT.. I have read that if you unscrew it too much to focus the beam it will do that.  Just passing on what I've read, I don't believe everything I read.
View Quote

Actually if you unscrew it too far and do about 30 presentations the whole lens and bulb launches itself downrange much to the amusement of your classmates..ask me how i know [:I]
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top