Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/9/2003 7:30:49 AM EDT
If I attach a weight similar to an m972p to a 16" M4 type barrel/gas block, how much will my point of impact shift at 100 yards? Assume a FF forend. Are we talking 1/2"? 2", 10"? Has anyone actually measured this POI shift?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 9:04:49 AM EDT
If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block. Attach it to the FF forend, potential problem solved.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 11:27:04 AM EDT
Omega_556:If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block? Good question: First, I can avoid the need for a FF RAS, saving money and resulting in a smaller diameter, possibly lighter weight forend. Second, I think I can manage with a carbine length forend, rather than having to had the extra weight and expense of a midlength forend to provide sufficient room for the M972P and my hand on the forend.
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:13:01 PM EDT
I would be interested as well. I was looking at putting a surefire with a fobus Mount on the 3-rail gas block on my varminter. Not permananently (naturally) but when I asked around, they said it wouldn't be a problem?? Is this not true, will it effect the poi greatly?? Omega_556- why do you say "If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block) is it any different if it is a non FF?? Just wondering?
Link Posted: 10/12/2003 5:42:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By GunDraw: Omega_556- why do you say "If you have a FF forend, why attach it to the barrel/gas-block) is it any different if it is a non FF?? Just wondering?
View Quote
The point of free floating is to minimize unwanted effects on barrel harmonics. The weight of the flashlight will cause a change in barrel response. If it is attached to a FF tube, ther will be no effect on the barrel. On a non free-floated barrel, you have several points of contact on the barrel, and while adding the light will cause a change, the effect may be less than that on the FF.
Link Posted: 10/21/2003 6:09:04 PM EDT
Not to hijack this thread, but what is a good way to attach a light to a ff forearm. I have a Bushy Varminter, and would like to add a light sometime. Is there someway you can bolt just a short Picatinny rail to the forearm? A kit?? Gundraw
Link Posted: 10/22/2003 10:19:14 AM EDT
Originally Posted By xyzzy45: If I attach a weight similar to an m972p to a 16" M4 type barrel/gas block, how much will my point of impact shift at 100 yards? Assume a FF forend. Are we talking 1/2"? 2", 10"? Has anyone actually measured this POI shift? thanks
View Quote
X, I would not suggest mounting a light as heavy as the M972P on your gas block, this will definitely cause the barrel to shift or drop. The classic series is a good option for the gas block since it is somewhat lighter. You can go as far as a rail handguard because it balance out the weight of the light a lot better then that small spot on the gas block.
Originally Posted By GunDraw: Not to hijack this thread, but what is a good way to attach a light to a ff forearm. I have a Bushy Varminter, and would like to add a light sometime. Is there someway you can bolt just a short Picatinny rail to the forearm? A kit?? Gundraw
View Quote
Call places like GG&G and Precision Reflex, they have rail blanks that you can drill and tap onto your FF aluminium handguard.
Top Top