Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 9:26:55 AM EDT
I plan on mounting it on the side of a gooseneck mount that has a side rail & then use a pressure switch to control the light.

Who makes the best light?

How bright should I get?  225 Lumens?  350 or 500 Lumens (like the big surefires are)?

I just decided that I wanted one of these to complement my AIMPOINT.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 9:46:54 AM EDT
[#1]
[b]Surefire[/b], as to the lumen power, the higher the power the less the burn time. Let your wallet be your guide.

For my personal light I have an old 9P, and at times in a confined area it makes me see spots, just from the reflection off white walls. I'll bring it tonight and ya can check it out.

Mike
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 5:04:59 PM EDT
[#3]
If you've got the $$$, the SF 962- series puts out a beam strong enough to temporarily blind anyone looking at it.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 8:03:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I asaw MR_WILSON tonight and he had his P6.  It was bright enough to blind someone if they caught it in the dark.

Hell, it would light up the 4th story apartment across the street.  We had some fun with that light:)
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 2:28:49 AM EDT
[#5]
SC_Texas says:
I asaw MR_WILSON tonight and he had his [s]P6[/s] [b][red]9P[/red][/b]. It was bright enough to blind someone if they caught it in the dark.

Hell, it would light up the 4th story apartment across the street. We had some fun with that light:)

Slight correction applied.....

Mike
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#6]
I need typing lessons!
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:37:01 AM EDT
[#7]
or less "Buttery-nipples".....[;)]

Mike
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 6:53:15 PM EDT
[#8]
The dog really liked them!
Link Posted: 8/29/2003 11:11:14 AM EDT
[#9]
Also, many of the 200+ lu SF lamps have a distinct afterglow from the filament that still gives off significant light for a little less than a second after the power is cut.

I wouldn't go much higher than 6V/65 lu for indoor use.  A tip-off beamshaper is $10-20 and disperses the hotspot into something wider and less harsh for inside, and with a flick of the lid, is out of the way for outdoor use.

Regarding your original question, I'd go Surefire because there are more modular options like the shock isolated bezel and tip-off beamshaper.
Link Posted: 8/30/2003 12:50:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I plan on mounting it on the side of a gooseneck mount that has a side rail & then use a pressure switch to control the light.

Who makes the best light?

How bright should I get?  225 Lumens?  350 or 500 Lumens (like the big surefires are)?

I just decided that I wanted one of these to complement my AIMPOINT.
View Quote

SC-Texas:
For home defense, if you have a chance, try out a couple of lights in your house & see how they work. You need enough light to positively identify targets across the longest open area (hallway, living room, etc) of your house, & ideally enough light to blind them when you light them up. For most houses 65-125 lumens will be plenty. I have SF 500s on both my rifles, & I have never used the 225 lumen lamps on either one. The 125 lamp is plenty of light, & I could get by with a 65 lumen handheld Combat Light if necessary. All the walls & ceilings in my house are off-white or beige & I wouldn't want any more glare off the paint than I get with the 125 lamp. If your house is unusually dark you might want to try the 125/225 lamps for a comparison.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top