Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/30/2003 6:51:30 AM EDT
Someone emailed me asking me to post a pic when my light came in.  Here you are.  Hope this helps with your decision making process.  Mounted with an AR15 adaptor.  Note, was a bitch to remove the heatshields to mount the bracket.  Actually, much harder to get the heat shield back in after installation.  WECSOG I am!

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 10:35:03 AM EDT
[#1]
that looks nice.  I'm guessing you're using one of those short picatinny rail sections through the bottom handguard, right?  how securely is that all mounted on there?  does your M3 wiggle around at all or is it rock solid?

Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
It is rock-fuckin-solid.  I had to pry the heatshield out of the lower handguard and installed the rail no problem, really cranked it down good.  Problem was reinstalling the heatshield... that was where the Wecsoging came in.  With the light removed the rail can be tightened down in the future if need be.  Zero movement right now.  Light is easy to manipulate with the left supporting hand, just put the activator in the crook of your left index finger with the rest of the hand holding the handguard... slight movement to the right uses the pressure switch, slight movement to the left clicks the light on continuously.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:50:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Looks good, but you feel thats a good locale for shooting from cover?

Thats going to make you raise your weapon and expose more of you when using the light and shooting. Take a look at my setup:
[img]http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid65/pb97d865b5feef4bd41c3ee080ea7afdc/fbe86669.jpg[/img]
Its on the 1:00 Shooters position and you dont need to expose more than before when the light was on the weapon.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Also note in my pic that the M3 is not attched in the pic.

It really doesnt sir that high when attached.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 1:59:00 PM EDT
[#5]
I guess it depends on your cover.  If you are shooting over a birm or a wall, you woild have to expose more of yourself and your rifle.  Then again, to gain the benefit of aimed fire you are going to have to expose your head to some degree.  Moving around a corner it should make no difference.  I would imagine your light will be much harder to manipulate from your position than mine.  You will have to switch your light on and leave it on constantly, or hold your rifle in what would appear to be a very unnatural position.  I can freely manipulate the light with a standard grip of the handguards.

I also look at this set up as more of a home defense set-up.  When you look at how most tactical weapons are setup by law enforcement i.e. SWAT teams, the light is often on the bottom of the weapon or at the 5 or 7 o'clock position.  You will see lights positioned like that on MP5s frequently.  Anyway, this bracket offered two positions for mounting, either 12 o'clock or 6 o'clock, the option did not exist for this mount to go to 11 or 1.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Actually my setup is not hard at all to turn the light on or off. your fingers are very close to the M3 while your hand is on the handguard. Therefor its all just a lift of a finger for on/off.
Link Posted: 6/30/2003 2:02:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Well if that is what works for you, go for it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 3:36:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I am considering a similar set up. My main concern though is how well the M3 will standup to the recoil of the AR as oposed to a handgun cartridge. There may be no difference or in fact less felt recoil-not sure though. What is your take on this and experience thus far?
Link Posted: 7/10/2003 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#9]
No clue, haven't fired it with the light on.  I have to imagine it is going to take far more of a pounding mounted on a .357 Sig pistol or a 12 gauge shotgun than on an AR.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top