Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/11/2017 5:13:17 PM EDT
Just curious how many of you use Ranger Plates and how do you like them?  I was thinking of getting some to assist when in the prone and shooting from a bench.

I would like to add to the PMAG 30 GEN M3 that I have.  Any suggestions?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Too expensive for me.

I prefer to spend my money on ammo and stuff thats more useful, though I admit I'd like to buy them if they weren't such a trade-off for resources.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought some to try out. Unless you are drawing them from a mag pouch or have a 10-Round Pmag (too short for a great grip IMO), they are not worth the cost. If you have the money, and don't care, then buy them.

Best thing is to buy or borrow as few as you can to test out for yourself to see how you like them.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#3]
i bought some straight 20 round pmags that had them preinstalled. they are definitely not worth what they cost new.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:04:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i bought some straight 20 round pmags that had them preinstalled. they are definitely not worth what they cost new.
View Quote
Thank you all - Appreciate the advise
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:01:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Can't speak for  Pmags, but I use them on my USGI mags and love them. Makes it really easy to pull the mags out of pockets or gear. USGI mags tends to be kind of slick and having a rubbery loop at the base really helps. Also you can drop the mag from the gun with out having to worry about the mag getting damage if they land on a hard surface.

Best part about the ranger plate is can use the mags as a monopod when shooting from a hard service. The L-plates seem to work best when using the mag as a monopod.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:22:29 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few my left hand has issues so they help me free the  mags.

off the bench perhaps look at the mag pod

I have several & I like them on the bench. or in the prone. it is not as good as a bipod or sandbag but it is nice.... they only fit on gern2 Pmags
Link Posted: 10/30/2017 8:15:59 AM EDT
[#7]
My buddy gave me some of the low profile floor plates. Not the ones that have a loop, just thicker with rubber and a weight (magpul brand, I forget the model name).

I like them. Not worried so much about dropping mags.

Not really worth the price though.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 11:35:59 AM EDT
[#8]
I read a lengthy gear review on another forum a few years ago that was written by a guy who had recently returned from Afghanistan. One of the things he discussed was PMAG ranger plates. He said they did not hold up to abuse and would break apart from repeatedly pulling on them or grinding them against the ground when using them as a monopod. Sure enough, a few months ago, I went to pull an M2 PMAG out of a pouch at the range, and the rubber loop of the ranger plate separated from the plastic magazine baseplate. That weekend, I removed all my M2 ranger plates. I think the M3 and GI mag versions are more sturdy, the way they kind of wrap around the baseplate, but the M2 loop is basically just glued to the bottom of the baseplate, from what I can tell. Granted, the Esstac KYWI mag pouches I use have a very firm grip on the magazine, but I thought the ranger plates would hold up better than that. I still like the concept on my M3s and GI mags, but I’m a little more wary of them now.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 7:08:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I read a lengthy gear review on another forum a few years ago that was written by a guy who had recently returned from Afghanistan. One of the things he discussed was PMAG ranger plates. He said they did not hold up to abuse and would break apart from repeatedly pulling on them or grinding them against the ground when using them as a monopod. Sure enough, a few months ago, I went to pull an M2 PMAG out of a pouch at the range, and the rubber loop of the ranger plate separated from the plastic magazine baseplate. That weekend, I removed all my M2 ranger plates. I think the M3 and GI mag versions are more sturdy, the way they kind of wrap around the baseplate, but the M2 loop is basically just glued to the bottom of the baseplate, from what I can tell. Granted, the Esstac KYWI mag pouches I use have a very firm grip on the magazine, but I thought the ranger plates would hold up better than that. I still like the concept on my M3s and GI mags, but I’m a little more wary of them now.
View Quote
Good info and thanks for posting - Appreciate your time and details
Link Posted: 11/12/2017 8:42:17 PM EDT
[#10]
I use them to identify what type of ammo is loaded in the magazine as I have both 5.56 and 300 Blackout rifles.

If it has a Ranger Plate it is 300BO, no Ranger Plate it is 5.56.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top