Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/24/2017 11:36:54 AM EDT
What kind of backwards ass thinking comes up with such an idea?

There are a few covert bag makers that seem to get it, but there are some really good looking options that I would buy except for this one glaring, stupid detail.

Molle is common enough that I think even most non-gun people see it and think 'military type gear'.

I'm probably actually going to buy an actual guitar bag.  I don't need 87 pockets on a discreet case, and I don't want it to weigh 87 lbs after I fill them all up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:49:29 AM EDT
[#1]
very much this. I don't understand why if you're trying to make a discreet bag it has big patches and molle and shit everywhere. I looked forever to find something decent, and finally grabbed a 5.11 rifle bag. it looks like a skateboard bag kinda, so it works for me.

I wish there was a way to get a small folding rifle without either going the NFA route or spending hundreds on the folding stock adapters....
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 11:56:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  If they want to make a discrete bag, they really should make it look like something else that won't catch a second glance. 

Black nylon bag, molle all over it, in the shape of a rifle case......thats not discrete at all.  Might as well just carry the bare rifle.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:02:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
very much this. I don't understand why if you're trying to make a discreet bag it has big patches and molle and shit everywhere. I looked forever to find something decent, and finally grabbed a 5.11 rifle bag. it looks like a skateboard bag kinda, so it works for me.

I wish there was a way to get a small folding rifle without either going the NFA route or spending hundreds on the folding stock adapters....
View Quote
I'm good with just popping two pins and having a separate upper and lower, instead of the folding stock.  But I can see the desire to have the rifle in a little more 'ready' condition.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:03:50 PM EDT
[#4]
I use a banjo bag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:09:56 PM EDT
[#5]
I got the Blackhawk racquet bag.  I am very pleased with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I got the Blackhawk racquet bag.  I am very pleased with it.
View Quote
Shit, I think I am fo'ing on this today
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 2:56:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Check the Gander Mountains going out of business.

I bought a Blackhawk 75% off
Link Posted: 8/24/2017 7:32:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I got one of these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002TUSDVW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

My only real complaint with it is that I wish the interior had one more row of webbing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:09:04 PM EDT
[#9]
You could be carrying a case with "THIS IS AN IED" spraypainted on it in bright pink, and most people wouldn't pay attention to it. Most people don't even know what molle is, on top of that. A lot of guys forget that not everybody is a gun guy.

That being said, if you're serious about a "covert" case, go to Goodwill and buy a used bag of some sort. I bought a zip up bag that was made for a fold up chair, and lined it with foam.
I recommend highly against tool bags/boxes, instrument cases or ones marked with well known name brands. Guns aren't the only valuable things that can get stolen. Hell, if I was a thief, I'd be much more inclined to steal a DeWalt bag than a gun case; tools and musical instruments are still pretty valuable and much easier to sell than stolen guns.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#10]
I've found a bat bag or a lacrosse bag is good for a non-broken-down AR (I guess people will steal anything, but a bat bag in a trunk shouldn't get a second look).
Link Posted: 8/27/2017 7:16:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the Blackhawk discreet case for my SBR I carry to and from work.

No molle and not a super conspicuous shape..

I use the 29" black version
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:04:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I just use my Plano AW series hard case. I put a bunch of instrument stickers on it (Gibson, etc) and people have actually approached me and asked which guitar was in it. Since I'm not a musician, and clearly wouldn't know the answer, I just say "not sure, I'm just transporting it for my friend".
As said in above posts, you'd be amazed how many people are clueless of gun stuff. You're never going to fool a real "gun guy", but you'll fool 95% of non gun people easily.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 1:32:42 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use a banjo bag.
View Quote
No offense. BUT.
Sometimes jokes just write themselves.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 10:23:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
No offense. BUT.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a banjo bag.
No offense. BUT.
Its low profile. Who would break into a rusty old truck to steal a banjo?
Link Posted: 9/3/2017 10:08:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I use a banjo bag.
No offense. BUT.

I have a couple tennis racket bags I have used for discreet carry
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 1:03:25 AM EDT
[#16]
I found a yoga mat bag at TJ Maxx or Marshall's while shopping with my wife.  It fits a broken down Mk12.  I took a really thin yoga mat and folded it so it fit in like normal but in a taco shape vs a swiss roll shape.   The yoga mat provides some padding, rigidity and outline breakup.   I'll try to remember to post a couple pics after I get home.
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 4:40:05 PM EDT
[#17]

I like the Blackhawk board pack because you can add a prop.

Molle on the inside is fine for me.

Divider plus retention points.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 12:36:34 PM EDT
[#18]
LBT has a very discreet bag.

No molle on the outside.  Removable pouches.  It looks like a nice rig.  A little more than I could afford though.

http://lbxtactical.lbtinc.com/4003c
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top