Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/4/2010 4:42:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 5:06:52 PM EDT by TxSoldier]
Hey guys, I have a 5.45 AR that has an A2 stock on it and a YHM free float rail on the front. What is a good sling setup for a rifle like this? I'd like to make use of the rear sling mount that is already there on the A2 stock. I know I will have to purchase some sort of attachment for the front though obviously.

I looked through the majority of the sling pics in the sticky (I will admit, not every one though) and the majority are carbine stocks or standard GI slings if on an A2 stock. Not many A2 stocks around anymore compared to the carbine stocks. Anyways, what do you guys prefer/recommend for the A2 stock sling wise?

ETA: Just looked at the VIckers VCAS and it looks like it may be a good one. I'd have to get the buttstock adapter as well.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 9:47:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/4/2010 9:49:41 PM EDT by hk45shooter]
I like the Boonie Packer 2P Combat Sling: http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=23

It has been such a long time ago that I bought my sling that I do not know if you need to buy the attachment for the rear stock or if it comes with it. If you do it is only $5 extra. That will put you under $20 (almost $40 cheaper than the Vickers) for the whole set up, cause the price you see listed is what you pay on Boonie Packer sling, the shipping is included. Just cause these slings are cheap ($$$ wise) doesn't mean they are cheap quality wise. They are built like a tank, made to take the abuse.

Link for the rifle converter if you have to buy seperate: http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=34 (I'd call to find out for sure before ordering online if you go with a Boonie sling.)

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 1:34:49 AM EDT
I do like the looks of that. But that converter I don't know about.

It looks like it would slide forward on the buttstock, wanting to slide towards the narrow part. I see it runs through the sling point on the bottom of the stock, but it seems like the top part would always be pushing forward....if that made any sense lol.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:24:19 AM EDT
I have the Blue Force Gear Vickers A2 buttstock adapter and had been using it for several years now on my 20" A2 rifle, no problems so far and I'm very satisfied with it.

I'm currently using an IDF Israeli two point sling on it but sometimes I use my Vickers and Viking Tactics two point slings also.

My Viking sling is my favorite to use generally when I'm using my hands more than shooting, also when hiking, running, and climbing.

Ref:

http://www.blueforcegear.com/product.cfm?type=cat&cat_id=5∏_id=87

Link Posted: 9/5/2010 7:39:12 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TxSoldier:
I do like the looks of that. But that converter I don't know about.

It looks like it would slide forward on the buttstock, wanting to slide towards the narrow part. I see it runs through the sling point on the bottom of the stock, but it seems like the top part would always be pushing forward....if that made any sense lol.

I has moved a little bit (since I put it on), but that is all the further it moved & it does not move back & forth. One thing I noticed about the Vickers sling that you looked at is it has a back strap on it, rendering your A2 trapdoor useless, cause you cannot open it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 2:48:58 PM EDT
Yes, I did see that. I don't use the trapdoor though for anything. I keep my cleaning supplies elsewhere.
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 10:02:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 9/9/2010 10:45:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/9/2010 10:48:44 PM EDT by Unicron]
Just this week i changed my stock to an A2 to balance out the rifle because of a new 1-4x scope i just added. Tried to use my vickers 2 point sling, but didn't feel right because the mounting point is on the bottom of the A2. Saw this thread, but it was late for me to get a vickers buttstock adapter in before my 3 gun match this weekend. So, i made a buttstock adapter out of some nylon strap and buckles/d-rings from walmart ($4)...and it turned out well. It should hold up unless I decide to beat someone's head in with the stock...while they are wearing a battle helmet. Not to worry, it is just temporary. If I like using the A2 stock this weekend, I'll order a vicker's A2 buttstock adapter; thanks for pointing out the part to me by the way...

Top Top