User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 19
Link Posted: 12/4/2015 12:01:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Price check
Is $170 a good price for 1700 w/foam or 1720 w/foam?
Link Posted: 12/7/2015 11:11:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Excellent source for cases and replacement foam at www.foamerica.com
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:14:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Freedom_Or_DEATH:

Looks like you remembered everything but the foam...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By AmericanCheese:
<a href="http://s612.photobucket.com/user/americancheese1/media/IMG_4937_zpssl2zx1ej.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/americancheese1/IMG_4937_zpssl2zx1ej.jpg</a>

Interesting..........the title of this thread is "lets see some pelican cases".

Troll much?
Link Posted: 12/8/2015 1:41:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 19Charlie:
Excellent source for cases and replacement foam at www.foamerica.com
View Quote

Fo America. Awesome URL
Link Posted: 12/9/2015 12:21:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Troll much?
View All Quotes
<a href="http://s612.photobucket.com/user/americancheese1/media/IMG_4937_zpssl2zx1ej.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i612.photobucket.com/albums/tt202/americancheese1/IMG_4937_zpssl2zx1ej.jpg</a>

Troll much?

Me trolling? Or did you say that out loud in front of the mirror? My point is that a Pelican is a Rolls Royce gun case to PROTECT your valuables. Tossing all your valuables into a Pelican with zero foam is a complete waste of time and defeats all purpose of using a pelican. Was I clear enough or trolling?
Link Posted: 12/11/2015 11:37:08 PM EDT
[#6]
View Quote

Is that yours and are those Pmags in that case?
Link Posted: 12/15/2015 1:53:17 PM EDT
[#7]
Just received my first Pelican (1700), which lock are you guys using for travel?
Link Posted: 12/17/2015 12:49:12 AM EDT
[#8]
My first Pelican (1750). I just cut out the foam. I guess I could not cut straight, but it still looks good.

Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:35:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Me trolling? Or did you say that out loud in front of the mirror? My point is that a Pelican is a Rolls Royce gun case to PROTECT your valuables. Tossing all your valuables into a Pelican with zero foam is a complete waste of time and defeats all purpose of using a pelican. Was I clear enough or trolling?
View All Quotes

Troll much?

No, I said it to you.....I was unaware you were the self anointed authority on how to store and transit rifles and gear inside P cases.  Guns are tools....and there is one foam insert in my case.....look closer.  
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 7:36:43 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By QtrHorse:

View All Quotes

Yes and yes.....my rolls royce case with only one foam insert
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 9:25:48 PM EDT
[#11]

View All Quotes

hahaha...I once bought a Pelican case & a gift card as a x-mas present for my brother-in-law. We left the top foam in & used packing peanuts instead of foam for the main compartment and tossed the gift card underneath it all. Took him a while to find the gift card...
Link Posted: 12/18/2015 10:01:22 PM EDT
[#12]

Originally Posted By Ashick:

My first Pelican (1750). I just cut out the foam. I guess I could not cut straight, but it still looks good.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v240/808state/Mobile%20Uploads/20151216_213921.jpg
View Quote
Looks just fine to me. Oh, wait. Lemme get out my micrometer. Somethings amiss

Looks good man

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 2:53:45 AM EDT
[#13]

No, I said it to you.....I was unaware you were the self anointed authority on how to store and transit rifles and gear inside P cases.  Guns are tools....and there is one foam insert in my case.....look closer.  
View All Quotes

Troll much?

It doesn't take any "authority" to see how much of a waste of time it is to put a bunch of loose marbles inside a hard case. What is the difference between dropping a box of loose stuff on the ground, versus just dropping the stuff on the ground. Spoiler alert, its "0". To each their own...

The purpose of the case is to hold the foam, the purpose of the foam is to absorb shock, but what do I know, I aint no authoritaayyyy...
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 9:03:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Here's my 1750, only paid $160 shipped new in the box off of Jet.com. Damn thing is 45lbs and I still need to load the mags lol

On another note, what type of foam would be a good replacement? I have a different case that needs foam but looking on Foam Factory some of them are as much as a new Pelican case.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:25:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EnlistedDate] [#15]

Originally Posted By socommatthews:

Here's my 1750, only paid $160 shipped new in the box off of Jet.com. Damn thing is 45lbs and I still need to load the mags lol
On another note, what type of foam would be a good replacement? I have a different case that needs foam but looking on Foam Factory some of them are as much as a new Pelican case.
View Quote
I would go high density closed cell as replacement

Order from a known source

Jet.com had some foam. Will it fit? https://jet.com/product/Pelican-3-Piece-Replacement-Foam-Set-for-1750-Cases/113b111f1d8c424d9faef4d5bec2e517

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:24:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By EnlistedDate:

Jet.com had some foam. Will it fit? https://jet.com/product/Pelican-3-Piece-Replacement-Foam-Set-for-1750-Cases/113b111f1d8c424d9faef4d5bec2e517

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By EnlistedDate:

Would fit my Pelican but the case I need new foam for is a bit smaller. I'll look at the closed cell stuff though, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 11:57:59 PM EDT
[#17]

Im3100 with custom cut foam.  case was 170.00 on sale and foam 80.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 12:41:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: EnlistedDate] [#18]

Would fit my Pelican but the case I need new foam for is a bit smaller. I'll look at the closed cell stuff though, thanks.
View Quote
Bigger is no problem if you have an electric carving knife.

Link Posted: 12/29/2015 6:17:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Is there any real reason for worry when laying out a case with the scope on the bottom (scope facing the hinge) if the case is stored standing up?

Not sure if I should be worried about the weight of the rifle resting on this relatively expensive scope...
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 2:29:10 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Will_Power:
Is there any real reason for worry when laying out a case with the scope on the bottom (scope facing the hinge) if the case is stored standing up?

Not sure if I should be worried about the weight of the rifle resting on this relatively expensive scope...
View Quote

No - the rest of the foam will secure the rifle, and any decent scope/mount can handle the minimal pressure.

-shooter
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 4:43:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Lots of fantastic advice and pictures. It seems to me most are 200 dollars for a case to hold an AR15/M4.
Warrantys are important. I see Pelican is lifetime, Storm is 1 year, and another not really mentioned is SKB, which I believe is lifetime also.
The SKB and Storm cases have better latches, imho. I will need this case for traveling to and from range and airport
Thoughts on SKB 3I-3614-6B-L. vs Storm im3100 case?
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 12:23:54 AM EDT
[#22]

Not a fancy or good photo, but here's how I'm laying out my 1750 for my precision AR:

- Gun

- Three twenty round mags

- SAP sling cutout

- Cleaning rod.

If I had a rear bag I was happy with, I'd probably try to find a way to work it in there (possibly cutting out the bottom layer below the gun).

Might think through cutting an area for a small cleaning kit.

Haven't taken it to the range, yet. We'll see if I need anything else, but this is generally all I keep in my cheapo Plano case right now, so this should do me just fine.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 2:36:33 AM EDT
[#23]
" />
This is one I have been working on. Trying to figure out if I can squeeze a few more in.
Link Posted: 1/4/2016 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#24]

The purpose of the case is to hold the foam, the purpose of the foam is to absorb shock, but what do I know, I aint no authoritaayyyy...
View Quote

He indicated earlier that the top and bottom foam is enough to hold the rifle firmly in place. I don't know to what extent he tested it, but it appears that he hauls a bunch of expensive gear. I suspect if he was breaking EOTechs all the time, he would have changed it.

That said - I am not sure I have the courage to test that with a decently nice rifle/optic.

-shooter
Link Posted: 1/5/2016 5:28:32 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By shooter220:

He indicated earlier that the top and bottom foam is enough to hold the rifle firmly in place. I don't know to what extent he tested it, but it appears that he hauls a bunch of expensive gear. I suspect if he was breaking EOTechs all the time, he would have changed it.

That said - I am not sure I have the courage to test that with a decently nice rifle/optic.

-shooter
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By shooter220:

-shooter

You must be confusing him and someone else. He stated he only has "one foam insert", which if you look at the pic, is the top piece and would apply zero pressure to anything inside the case, so like I said, defeats the entire purpose...
Link Posted: 1/10/2016 10:45:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 2/1/2016 9:36:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: m4hooah] [#27]
This is a great thread!  Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and tips here.

I'm working on building my hot wire cutter now, so I can setup a few cases.  I've got a couple of questions.

1).  What are your thoughts on whether to place the gun in the case with accessories (lights, red dots, VFG's, etc.) installed, vs. putting the accessories in separate cut out pockets?  For my AR10, I figured I would leave the scope on the rifle, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the bipod on, or put it in its own pocket.

2) I'm going to order extra foam to make alternate layouts for a couple cases.  I see that the Foam Factory offers charcoal foam in both "standard" and "firm" versions.  The "standard" version is a 1.3lbs foam (which is what Pelican uses), and the "firm" version is a 1.7lbs foam.  I'm thinking that the 1.7lbs would hold up better, and t's not really that expensive either.

3)  I'm interested in using that rubberized spray product.  How many coats should I use?  Do you spray all surfaces of the liner foam?  Should I mask the part where the gun or accessory rests in?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 11:01:44 AM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By m4hooah:
This is a great thread!  Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences and tips here.

I'm working on building my hot wire cutter now, so I can setup a few cases.  I've got a couple of questions.

1).  What are your thoughts on whether to place the gun in the case with accessories (lights, red dots, VFG's, etc.) installed, vs. putting the accessories in separate cut out pockets?  For my AR10, I figured I would leave the scope on the rifle, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the bipod on, or put it in its own pocket.

2) I'm going to order extra foam to make alternate layouts for a couple cases.  I see that the Foam Factory offers charcoal foam in both "standard" and "firm" versions.  The "standard" version is a 1.3lbs foam (which is what Pelican uses), and the "firm" version is a 1.7lbs foam.  I'm thinking that the 1.7lbs would hold up better, and t's not really that expensive either.

3)  I'm interested in using that rubberized spray product.  How many coats should I use?  Do you spray all surfaces of the liner foam?  Should I mask the part where the gun or accessory rests in?

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Anyone have any input on this?
Link Posted: 2/11/2016 9:49:48 AM EDT
[#29]

View All Quotes

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance

I had lots of questions when I got my case a month ago, in the end I just started cutting. I left the scope on but took the bipod off. I also left the light on my pistol. I don't know if I did it right but it works so far.

Standard foam I fine, I'm afraid heavier would be too stiff, I also didn't use glue.

Link Posted: 2/12/2016 11:46:40 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FG24U] [#30]
" />
Link Posted: 2/12/2016 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#31]

I haven't decided if I want to cut out my top layer foam or not.  The things I want to carry may vary and I still need an optic for this one.  (Thinking about a trij MRO)

The inforce WML on the 45 deg thorntail mount make it sit a bit awkward on the light side, so a cutout would even out the loading.
Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:32:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Active] [#32]
I prefer everything lose but organized, fit way more in for travel.

Link Posted: 3/15/2016 7:55:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:43:44 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Marine_Air:
<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/marineair/media/IMG_5517_zpsggla84sy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd391/marineair/IMG_5517_zpsggla84sy.jpg</a>
View Quote

What is the small pelican case on the bottom left?  And what are the 3 big green ones?
Link Posted: 3/20/2016 1:52:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Marine_Air] [#35]
Originally Posted By ThatDude812:

What is the small pelican case on the bottom left?  And what are the 3 big green ones?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ThatDude812:
Originally Posted By Marine_Air:
<a href="http://s1217.photobucket.com/user/marineair/media/IMG_5517_zpsggla84sy.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd391/marineair/IMG_5517_zpsggla84sy.jpg</a>

The smallest one is for an iPad mini, I use it for a Samsung KILSWITCH tablet that I use at work.  3 green ones are footlockers.

New stencil work on one of them:

Link Posted: 3/21/2016 8:52:28 AM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By Active:
I prefer everything lose but organized, fit way more in for travel.

]

View Quote

That's some great travel camo there. Tactical deception.
Link Posted: 3/24/2016 12:06:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Currently trying to figure out how to lay out my case.  Think I will have the foam replaced on the top and have my magazines installed in the top.  Then just have a thin layer of foam to keep the magazines off the guns.  Plus it will open up a few spots around the guns to hold slings etc.  And yes I know its not a pelican

Link Posted: 3/24/2016 10:23:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By anthony20031:
Currently trying to figure out how to lay out my case.  Think I will have the foam replaced on the top and have my magazines installed in the top.  Then just have a thin layer of foam to keep the magazines off the guns.  Plus it will open up a few spots around the guns to hold slings etc.  And yes I know its not a pelican
View Quote

Just curious, why do you want to put a sling in your case? Or is this going to be your only rifle?
Link Posted: 3/25/2016 6:10:02 PM EDT
[#39]
just be nice to have.  I have a sling for my carbine.  Something I would use for a class etc.
Link Posted: 3/26/2016 9:16:03 AM EDT
[#40]
Originally Posted By DustinS:

Just curious, why do you want to put a sling in your case? Or is this going to be your only rifle?
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DustinS:
Originally Posted By anthony20031:

Because a long gun without a sling is like a handgun without a holster.
Link Posted: 4/28/2016 2:49:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Just cut this one, closed cell foam from thefoamfactory for the middle layer.  Will post a pic up of my other case when it's done, should have 3 ARs in one 1750...

Link Posted: 5/2/2016 11:59:29 AM EDT
[#42]
Here's my other pelican, still need to get irons and an optic for the 22LR SBR on the right.

Link Posted: 5/11/2016 4:48:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Originally Posted By Steve40th396:
Lots of fantastic advice and pictures. It seems to me most are 200 dollars for a case to hold an AR15/M4.
Warrantys are important. I see Pelican is lifetime, Storm is 1 year, and another not really mentioned is SKB, which I believe is lifetime also.
The SKB and Storm cases have better latches, imho. I will need this case for traveling to and from range and airport
View Quote
This is incorrect, Storm cases carry the same warranty as Pelican.....guaranteed for life.
Link Posted: 5/11/2016 8:14:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By ProCharger:
This is incorrect, Storm cases carry the same warranty as Pelican.....guaranteed for life.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ProCharger:
Originally Posted By Steve40th396:

What is the basic difference between the Storm case and a regular Pelican? Is one supposedly more durable than the other?
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 9:32:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Just how much Plasti-dip are you guys using on your foam.  I have four very light coats and have put on one heavier coat.  It is still not as firm as I want it to be.  It looks good but I want it to actually feel almost solid.  Is that possible?  So far I have used on full can.  
Link Posted: 5/12/2016 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By kristen:
Just how much Plasti-dip are you guys using on your foam.  I have four very light coats and have put on one heavier coat.  It is still not as firm as I want it to be.  It looks good but I want it to actually feel almost solid.  Is that possible?  So far I have used on full can.  
View Quote

I've never used it. Always just replaced the foam with a closed-cell design rather than the open-cell one it comes with. The closed-cell foam definitely feels "solid"...
Link Posted: 5/20/2016 9:13:13 AM EDT
[#47]
Pelican 3300 Storm.  Cut the foam with a $4 electric knife from Goodwill.  2 cans of plastidip.  My daughter wanted to add some Zombi look to it so we went to Academy Sports and bought a $5 Yoga Mat.  The Yoga mat is glued between the top and bottom foam sections to make it one secure foam.  

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 11:11:32 AM EDT
[#48]

1).  What are your thoughts on whether to place the gun in the case with accessories (lights, red dots, VFG's, etc.) installed, vs. putting the accessories in separate cut out pockets?  For my AR10, I figured I would leave the scope on the rifle, but I'm not sure if I want to leave the bipod on, or put it in its own pocket. I'd just leave everything on. It doesn't hurt anything to be attached and actually takes up less room in the case. It also means you don't have to re attach accessories.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/25/2016 12:03:10 PM EDT
[#49]
This is my first Pelican case. I will be finding some more for my M1A's and my AR's real quick. Other than being a little heavy, I really like all the features that these cases offer.

Bev
Link Posted: 5/29/2016 10:24:45 PM EDT
[#50]
I know it's a picture thread but I haven't had any luck in the ruger forum.  I'm looking for a Pelican case to hold my Ruger LCP with a lasermax and 1.5" grip extension (from adamsgrips.com) with about 3 more mags that have the same extension.  Maybe even squeeze my kershaw burst in there.  I'm looking for a smaller case that would fit everything snugly, and take up minimal room in my checked bag when traveling.  I would greatly appreciate any help with this!  I'll be flying with my CCW for the 1st time in a couple of weeks and want to find the right sized pelican asap.  I figure pelican is the best so I want to do it right the 1st time.  I'll of course post pictures once I find the right case and cut it to fit!

Thanks y'all.
Page / 19
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top