Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/15/2006 10:56:02 AM EDT
Sam's Club is selling the WL 6030 gun safe below for $581:
www.granitesafe.com/winchester.html

The safe carries the Winchester brand but is actually made by Granite Security Systems.

Has anyone had experience with these safes?  Or do you have any general feedback based upon the specifications?  I plan to install this on the ground floor of a 1-storey house.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 12:01:11 PM EDT
[#1]
I payed $699. at Sams in Md. Still less then the $1500. one I bought before. Works fine, I take out most of the inter. so I can fit more Enfields in them. Use a 25 watt industrial light bulb(better then the golden rod). If the doors to your place are 32 or bigger, you'll have less trouble moving it. Get everything out of the way and take your time or hire a moving crew. You will need a dolly ( can be rented at $25. a day). I would bolt it to the floor, not to stop theft, but to keep it from ever falling over.
Me and the wife moved the Sams one. Don't do that. The fighting is not worth it. Get some of your big friends to help.
Good luck!
ATB,
Chalmers
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 11:57:24 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one. It took me and a very good friend nearly 4 hours to move it from my driveway, down a slope and into my walk-in basement. It was then winched upright. It is heavy as hell,but is a good deal. Professional movers cost somewhere in the $300-400 neighborhood in my area. Factor movers in if you plan on using them. It's a significant part of the cost.
It's a great safe,BTW.
Link Posted: 1/17/2006 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#3]
I bought one of those from wallyworld. It has the key pad lock on it. I like it for the price but wish it was a little thicker metal but then again it isn't a $1000 safe. If I remember right it weighs about 500 pounds. To make it easier to move you can remove the door although they don't recommend that. If you do take the door off a ball bearing will fall out of each hinge so don't loose them.
I bought it as a second safe to store the toys I keep at my place in Arizona.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:09:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I got one and it's a Bi**h to move.  It is currently in the garage and will likely stay there.  It's a nice safe and you can't beat the price.  I paid $581, too.

Jake
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 7:45:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Walmart here in Wisconsin had 4 of them and were clearancing them out at $400.00.  I picked one up and its in my office now.  It is quite heavy, but with a dolly not that bad to move.

BillWI
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:28:31 AM EDT
[#6]
You get what you pay for!  A great little safe, no frills, take everything out you can, you will need the extra space!  Quite small once you start putting alot in them.  As long as you have standard doors you will have no problem with a Dolly.  It took My Dad and I about 10 min to move the furniture out of the way, 20 min to unbox and move to the Closet that it now rests in and another 5 to get it situated where  wanted.  We are sort of big guys, so the move wasn't bad.  They really don't weigh all that much I didn't weigh it or see a tag but I say 600lbs max!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:34:26 AM EDT
[#7]
I love mine.  It took two guys and me about 20 minutes to unpack and roll into the house on a dolly.  Once we put a new battery in the electronic lock, it has worked like a charm.  I highly recommend them.
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 10:39:59 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Sam's Club is selling the WL 6030 gun safe below for $581:
www.granitesafe.com/winchester.html

The safe carries the Winchester brand but is actually made by Granite Security Systems.

Has anyone had experience with these safes?  Or do you have any general feedback based upon the specifications?  I plan to install this on the ground floor of a 1-storey house.

You might want to check out the Cannon/American Eagle safes at Academy too.  They have one about the same size as the Sam's Winchester for about the same price, and another one that's 6 inches wider for $100 more.  Gun safes run out of room really fast, and that extra six inches can make a big difference.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top