Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/6/2005 11:53:40 AM EDT
Who makes the best rail covers (subjective), please include links or pics. Thanks hive!

You get to pick them for me. Majority of votes will be my choice.
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 2:04:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/6/2005 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Dark Parts hands down

www.sr-25.com/Accessories.htm

From website

Dark Parts, Inc. Rubberized Rail Panels

Responding to feedback from Special Forces using rail forends in the field, Dark Parts, Inc. designed these rail covers to provide a totally sure grip. They have an innovative, rattle-free locking slide that allows them to lock into any desired position on the rail. Slightly fatter than standard rail panels, Ultimate Grips© add 1/4” to the overall circumference of the standard paneled handguard. The bonded coating is impervious to solvents and weather resistant.

Priced at $18.00 each. Standard Length 6.15". Available by special order in 1.68", 2.6", 3.65", 4.3", 5.3" and 6.1" lengths.

Link Posted: 11/7/2005 5:50:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I have the magpuls and the TDs.  Both work well.
Link Posted: 11/7/2005 9:24:50 AM EDT
[#4]
i SHOULD be getting my magpuls in today. Ill let you know how they work out.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 3:57:48 AM EDT
[#5]

I guess if price is no object the KAC will get the most votes.  Personally, I like the Magpul XT...rubbery texture gives very nice grip and they are very easy to cut to length and put them where you want them...no sliding on and off.

I've cut some inner tubes and put one at the front of the cover and one at the rear to eliminate play give a little added security - FWIW.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:18:57 PM EDT
[#6]
KAC, hands down. The Tango Down panels that were included with my Larue forends don't lock as securely as my KAC panels.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 4:22:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Who makes ladder covers??
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:25:21 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Who makes ladder covers??

magpul
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:42:01 PM EDT
[#9]
KAC.

TD if your rail system doesn't work with KAC panels.
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:57:00 PM EDT
[#10]
so you want rail covers for an AR when you can't even get out to take your wife into the boonies? rail panels are real useful at the bench...

Edited to add: I voted other, I use surefires on my hunting ARs, but they are pretty worthless from the bench rest
Link Posted: 11/8/2005 9:58:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
so you want rail covers for an AR when you can't even get out to take your wife into the boonies? rail panels are real useful at the bench...

Edited to add: I voted other, I use surefires on my hunting ARs, but they are pretty worthless from the bench rest

I second his clairvoyance.

It's not like you're going to be door kicking, if you're just going to be finger fucking your AR, might as well just leave the rails naked for that "raw" feel.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 8:03:34 AM EDT
[#12]
So now you criticize me wanting to customize my AR. You guys must be kind of sweet on one another, following eachother around from thread to thread.

No I am not going to be kicking any doors in, are you?

Nice buck & hog by the way, but my wife say's she wouldn't really feel comfortable being with a bunch of strange guys. I'm just going to have to pay to have her go on a guided hunt. Beside's she doesn't want to interfere with you & cold's "night time activities" with eachother.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 1:11:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
So now you criticize me wanting to customize my AR. You guys must be kind of sweet on one another, following eachother around from thread to thread.

Nice buck & hog by the way, but my wife say's she wouldn't really feel comfortable being with a bunch of strange guys. I'm just going to have to pay to have her go on a guided hunt. Beside's she doesn't want to interfere with you & cold's "night time activities" with eachother.

Well, since you decided to "go there" I was accepted into a Federal Law Enf agency for a summer long internship in Boston, attached to a group of agents who worked cases on the JTTF, on top of that, I got to use the "knock and talk" on a door, for fun, but still.... I guess your wrong? Also, My buddy trains local Enf in Dallas....let me send you the link incase you'd be interested in some training...www.protacglobal.com

Sweet on one another (and if thats a shot at my sexuality, well I can send you some rather interesting pictures of women in funky positions and ill give ya one guess who the guy behind them is)...well, I duno about me being sweet on him, he is my best friend, so I guess I do enjoy his company in a completely plutonic way. "Night time activities" I assume you mean calling for predators, unless once again you were making a rather lame sexually enudo about our possible homosexuality... What is rather pathetic is that he did offer your wife one of the nicest hunting options ever, its not like everyone has a lease in Albany on one of the more historic ranches in texas and you didnt even give him the courtsey of a reply, now, while I might not be a CombatVet, I do know when someone goes out of there way to offer you something, the courtsey of a reply is generally expected....I have no qualms with anyone saying "thanks but no thanks your strangers etc" I wouldnt personally have posted on here that my wife wants to hunt and who can take her, but hey, thats your business, after this summer and what I saw, I have very little faith in people, so your one brave man for even attempting such a thing, but as for Thellurider and I, you wont find two more upstanding citizens and theres oh I duno 100 or some members who can attest, on top of that, we both are involved with women our own age.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 1:59:16 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

We follow each other around threads? News to me.

Well, lets just say I probably get more use of it than you do. Not only do I do some small time instruction here in DFW, but I will be working at one of the premier training facilities in the US this winter. Cold, on the other hand, spent some time with one of those alphabet agencies, and they didn't deal with tobacco and drugs.

now on the hunting...

If you would do a little looking you'd see Cold and I do A LOT of it. Not only that but we get it done; we don't mess around. It's rare we don't come back without something. So you can safely assume that as pretty hardcore hunters we don't like to mess around with newbs as it could be dangerous. However, I read your plea several months ago and decided to offer a hand. I like to encourage people getting into the shooting sports anyway I can.  I wrote you several lengthy messages and never heard a word back as thanks for my offering. I was even ok with bringing a 4th person along as a chaperone (I guess?) but was NOT ok when that person was apparently expecting to hunt as well. I think that is understandable.

The fact is you wasted a lot of people's time when you posted that topic, and now you've bumped it up again. Are you not going to follow through with this one either? What you should have done instead of begging for a hand out is gone with a professional service in the first place. It may behoove you to look at this link as well www.35ranch.com. That's Cold's hunting operation in Nebraska with 100% success rate on Turkey. I help guide with that operation as well.

Quoted:

Now I'm not going to legitimize your rather childish attack on my sexual orientation but is that your wife saying that or YOU? You seem like a decent guy trying to help your wife out but you lack in execution and tact.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I second his clairvoyance.

It's not like you're going to be door kicking, if you're just going to be finger fucking your AR, might as well just leave the rails naked for that "raw" feel.

I did take offense to this comment, I'm truly sorry that I am disabled and cannot do more than finger fuck my AR and remember the good ole days when I did more than that. I guess I kind of lost my temper and viewed that as an attack on my manhood.  Also the comment about taking my wife out hunting. I hope you are never sidelined with an injury like mine, one that I might add occurred in IRAQ, but luckily not by enemy contact. Your comments were viewed by this member as a jab, hence the joke about your sexuality. I now apologize for my comments, but understand this: I love my wife and will not hesitate to provide her with the means to enjoy life, even though I am not able to do it by her side. You two really showed your true colors by the words in your comments that is why she would never participate in any endeavor with you two. I am dissappointed that you responded in the manner addressed above, have some class. I may be a couchborne Ranger now, but atleast I can look back and say I did my part. Good luck gents, God Bless.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 3:40:33 PM EDT
[#16]

I did take offense to this comment, I'm truly sorry that I am disabled and cannot do more than finger fuck my AR and remember the good ole days when I did more than that. I guess I kind of lost my temper and viewed that as an attack on my manhood.  Also the comment about taking my wife out hunting. I hope you are never sidelined with an injury like mine, one that I might add occurred in IRAQ, but luckily not by enemy contact. Your comments were viewed by this member as a jab, hence the joke about your sexuality. I now apologize for my comments, but understand this: I love my wife and will not hesitate to provide her with the means to enjoy life, even though I am not able to do it by her side. You two really showed your true colors by the words in your comments that is why she would never participate in any endeavor with you two. I am dissappointed that you responded in the manner addressed above, have some class. I may be a couchborne Ranger now, but atleast I can look back and say I did my part. Good luck gents, God Bless.

I can understand a man standing up for his better half, however the issue taken up here is the complete lack or reply to at least notify someone willing to HELP YOU OUT when you asked the community...this is a classic example of why I dont do such things, Thellurider called me when he saw your PLEA and said what do you think Cold, I gave him my thoughts, but said hey, seems harmless enough, he sent you numerous emails and on top of that, you never gave him the professional courtsey, to at least say, "hey, thanks but no thanks guys, but I appriciate the offer."  Im glad you did your part, and im sorry you suffered a injury which prevents you from doing things, however it is not a reason you cannot type a reply email back to 2 people who BELIEVE IT OR NOT, actaully put some thought into your situation and went out of there WAY, to try and help you or your wife. Im done with this, I dont give a damn if you think

You two really showed your true colors by the words in your comments
 true colors huhs, donations from my ranch to Safari Club Intl Mo Chapter so that disabled children can hunt before they die of terminal cancer or so that hunters who by hunts on my ranch can then use that money to pay for a childs bone marrow xplant.  You dont know me, what I write here is not anyway near a reflection of who I am nor what I do. Law school prep etc has maybe made me indeed a bit vicious but I do have a heart which hopefully I just pointed out to you in the way Thellurider and I tried to help you out from your "call to the community" and what not, looking back when I gave him my thoughts on it I said, "why not I guess it would further the sport" which is always a good thing. I dont need to say anymore, you feel as though you saw my true colors, thats fine, you dont know me. Im glad you strive to provide as best you can, but next time, if you ask fro help, how about doing the professional thing and giving those who put time into YOUR situation a reply, makes people think better of those aksing for the help...
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 3:49:25 PM EDT
[#17]
I did in fact respond via IM that I would contact him when she finished classes in Decmber. I knew that your location was quite a haul for her to make, and stated she would email when the time grew nearer.

I did not ignore his offer, it was a very kind offer.

It still doesn't change both of your responses to a thread that had nothing to do with my wife hunting. Your wise ass remark was off base and disrespectful. But I guess I can expect that from a couple of young men that think their shit doesn't stink.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 4:30:00 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
But I guess I can expect that from a couple of young men that think their shit doesn't stink.

Oh believe me, My shit stinks.....and you should try being in a truck with me for ten hours after Ive had a batch of aunt Bev's chex mix or worse yet....beef jerky. Hey i dont know the particulars of the story, all I know is what Thellurider related to me, and I believe his word when he says, you just left it all to the wind. Word of advise, if someone emails you something one would predict that youd reply in the form, not a PM...
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 4:38:45 PM EDT
[#19]
You seemed reasonable before but you definetly dropped out of the email exchange we had after the initial IM's. I recieved no notification of further progress so I dropped it, but was a little miffed, and further incensed when I saw you BTT that old thread.

You have no idea who you're dealing with and I'm not passing judgements on you on a personal level only discussing what I have seen, lack of courtesy, self pity, and childish attacks.

What you should do is save your money from your rail panels and put it towards a hunt. Anyways, hope your wife gets on a successful hunt; this sport needs all the involvement it can get.
Link Posted: 11/9/2005 5:32:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Whoa there skippy! I do not have one ounce of self pity, regret yes but not pity. I responded via IM that I would contact you once deer season was in swing, but I never once disrespected your kind offer. I BTT the thread in hopes that one of the many parties that offered to take her on a hunt would respond, I'm sorry I didn't save all of the 40 IM's of offers. That's why I BTT'd the thread. I wasn't the one that started the petty insults, you and your buddy can lay claim to that.

My thread was about rail panels, nothing more. To me this is a dead issue, I'll take my $80.00 and buy KAC rail panels and then send my wife on a hunt next month when she's out of school. You guys really need to tone down your narcissistic behavior and stop attacking people when they ask a simple question. Nowhere in the thread did I ask your fucking opinion about what you think about me putting them on my weapon. So if you’re not breaking down doors you have no reason to have rail panels? I asked a simple question, you didn't have to offer the insults you made.

GROW UP!
Link Posted: 11/11/2005 10:21:04 AM EDT
[#21]
Why don't you two stop beating your chests trying to establish who's the "alpha male" here?  I don't give a fuck what government agency you work for or who your friend trains.  The guy asked what rail covers the members here think he should get.  Either answer his question of just keep your negative comments to yourself.  What do you have to prove?  How badass you think you are?  My mom taught me manners.  If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all.  

Rail covers?  I don't have any.  I clicked on this thread to see what advice the members had . . .but instead I saw all this bullshit.  Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves.  The guy is a disabled vet.  He risked his life for our country.  By the way, happy Veteran's Day.
Link Posted: 11/12/2005 6:23:31 AM EDT
[#22]
What was this thread about again....
IBTL
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#23]
To get back on topic, so far KAC panels are my favorite, but I bought a set of Magpul XT's based on positive feedback in a similar thread I started not long ago.  Still haven't used them, so I can't say good or bad yet.
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 8:20:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I think I'd like the Magpuls a lot better if they weren't so darned thick!
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:11:05 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
What was this thread about again....
IBTL

+1
Link Posted: 11/14/2005 10:11:38 AM EDT
[#26]
i have used tango down, magpuls xt and the ladders

like them all
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 4:41:18 PM EDT
[#27]
I am also in the market for some rail covers and the KAC covers seem to be the favorite. But I can't find a single place that sells them I guess I will have to go with the #2 pick
Link Posted: 12/11/2005 10:21:07 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
I am also in the market for some rail covers and the KAC covers seem to be the favorite. But I can't find a single place that sells them

I guess I will have to go with the #2 pick

www.operationparts.com
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 6:45:58 PM EDT
[#29]
KAC, for me, any way. Used them in the Army and now I use them out of the Army. EXpensive,though.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:04:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Ditto 101327's advice
I used them then, and I use them now. The standard to which all other rails covers aspire in my humble opinion.
Link Posted: 12/12/2005 7:20:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Falcon Industries steel plate texture (they look very cool in black)

Although you can't tell in the picture, they are rounded so they fit nicely in your hand and form a tubular shape if you put them on multiple rails.

Link Posted: 12/14/2005 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Although you can't tell in the picture, they are rounded so they fit nicely in your hand and form a tubular shape if you put them on multiple rails.

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/573000028.jpg

I am SOLD on these!! I want some but am having trouble finding a vendor. I searched allot of the sponsored sites here along with using Google and the only thing I came up with is MidWayUSA that only has one in stock.

Anyone know of any dealers that have these in stock? Thanks for the suggestion. I like the looks of these more than any other and hope to order soon
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 6:27:16 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.brownells.com/Images/Products/573000028.jpg

I am SOLD on these!! I want some but am having trouble finding a vendor. I searched allot of the sponsored sites here along with using Google and the only thing I came up with is MidWayUSA that only has one in stock.

Anyone know of any dealers that have these in stock? Thanks for the suggestion. I like the looks of these more than any other and hope to order soon

Brownells.com
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:15:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Thanks for the link. They are the same price there as they are direct from Falcon so I placed an order for some last night. I wonder if you can trim these with sissors like their other model rails?
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#35]
I really like the ladders personally. I know they aren't the most popular, but they are my favorite.
Link Posted: 12/16/2005 2:02:03 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Thanks for the link. They are the same price there as they are direct from Falcon so I placed an order for some last night. I wonder if you can trim these with sissors like their other model rails?

I wouldn't say you could easily trim these with regular scissors b/c of their density and thickness.  A razor would be a litte dangerous too.  I used a simple hacksaw blade and carefully cut the pieces I needed.  Then I filed the end that was cut.  It took all of about 2 minutes.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top