[#1]

This is a most informational thread that you guys have going
on here.  I am new to the AR-15 world,
and this is my first post.  I built my
first AR not more than three weeks ago, still trying to get together some build
pictures to put up on the build thread.
<o:p></o:p>

I started reading this thread because any opportunity that I
can take to build something myself I take.
I was shopping around for some good slings for my new AR, just something
for the range and out and about on my land.
I found this posting and decided I would build my own.  So with around $12 and moms good old sewing
machine I took some of the concepts from all the slings here in this thread and
some of the slings I was looking to purchase on line to come up with my own
(see below).  It is the first model,
after using it I have found some areas I would like to fine tune, such as the
forward attachment (seems to get hung up).
I plan on making a few more, and once I get the design ironed out I will
be more than happy to great a few parts list and where to find parts along with
step by step pictures.  As long as Matt
(the thread originator) doesn’t mind.

Please give me your feedback on my home made sling
design.  I did say I am new to the AR
world.  Sorry for the image size, ill have to figure that out.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" />  

Uploaded with ImageShack.us" />

Link Posted: 8/3/2010 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
alright, i went out and got the stuff to make a variation of this sling. all i could find was 1" web though. i like the sling so im not going to order all the stuff from strap works.

im going to order some 1.5" camo web but want the hk style snaps. they only come in 1" from what i can see. will there be enough room in the loops to kind of fold a quarter inch on each side?

edit: if you look on page 22 at the 1 point sling, im hoping to be able to do something like that. im hoping theres enough room in the loops.

Hey Jordan (and all others, too),

Please be aware that the Strapworks kit is from a suggestion by a forum member. That means it is only one person's idea. You can order damned near anything to put together a custom sling. And, we now have a 1-1/4" HK steel snap, so the foldover from 1-1/2" webbing is minimal. We are one of an extremely few sites that offer 1st Class shipping. That saves you a ton of dough and is way cheaper than driving all over and still not finding what you want. If you haven't been to our site in a while, please re-visit. We have a huge selection of camos, including our new Quadra Camo as well as obscure things like flecktarn. So, let us know what you need, either as a kit, or as parts. We probably have it or may be willing to get it. Thanks, Tom at Strapworks
Link Posted: 8/27/2010 1:54:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Your sling building instructions kick ass, and since you wrote them you do too. I have a kick ass sling now, I kick ass. (though alaska Ace hardware prices make is a 20 dollar build... I hate Alaska some times... . Thank you.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I want to start off by saying this is a great project! so please don’t think that any of my comments are in anyway critical of the work you have done.

To preface my remarks, after I saw this thread, I couldn’t resist running out to find the materials to build this sling. I first tried Home Depot, but they did not have the straps or the hardware, the closest thing they had was tie-down straps. Next, I went to my local hobby stores to see if I could find the materials to make this project. I tried Jo Ann’s, Hobby Lobby and Michael’s and none of them has all of the hardware to complete the project so I decided to wait until I found the place that had everything I needed. Finally, I went to Ace Hardware and found all but the 1” slide locks; I guess I should have tried Ace first as the OP mentioned. They had 1” side release buckles so I decided to by these since you could take a dremel tool to cut each side down to make 2 slide locks, you know the routine, improvise, overcome, adapt. But one word of advice, not all hardware/hobby stores are alike, you might want to call ahead to see if they the items you need in stock before running all over town to find what you need for this project.

Well anyway, when I got home, I started assembling my sling and following your instructions made it easy to put together right on the first try. I commend you for your details instructions and pictures illustrating proper assembly.

Once I put it on my rifle and started playing around with it, I noticed since the 1.5” slide lock connected to the 1” strap that attaches to the stock was mis-matched, it would cause the slide lock to twist to one side causing the webbing to bunch up in the slide lock and therefore interferes with the webbings ability to slide freely through the rear slide lock. I then removed the 1” webbing and replaced it with 1.5” webbing looped it through the sling rings on the stock and the rear slide lock twice and this problem went away. I also proceeded to replace the 1” webbing on one that attaches to the hand guard. Since the sling rings on my rifle were about 1.5” wide, this ended up working better for me. I don’t think you really need the slide locks on the straps that attach to the rifle either, after I determined the proper length on these, I simply sewed them together with some 50# spiderwire fishing line since these really don’t need adjusting anyway. I guess you could always cut out threads later if you find a need to readjust these straps. Also, doing it this way will save you the cost of two slide locks.

Another thing I did to was to superglue and sew areas of the webbing that do not effect the adjustability or function of the sling, If I remember right there were 3 or 4 places where I glued and sewed things up to keep the sling from accidentally coming apart. I would suggest running your sling through it’s various uses first so that you can identify parts that can be permanently bonded together.

Finally, I was a little disappointed in the quality of the plastic hardware that make up this sling, especially the slide locks. I noticed that the slide locks at my Ace hardware were much thinner than the one’s pictured in the OP. But today when I went back to get some more to make another sling, I noticed that at the bottom of the box there were some thicker slide locks like the ones pictured in the OP, so I bought a bunch of those to replace the ones I have on my first sling. I also thought that if you glued two of these together, you could make this sling a little more rugged. Then I got to thinking, it would be nice to be able to find metal hardware to use for this project, so I did a quick search and found these sites that have higher quality hardware and metal hardware;

http://www.strapworks.com/

http://www.cdwplus.com/index.html

http://secure.mycart.net/catalogs/index.asp?category=310505

http://www.albest.com/product.asp?Func=DispProd&SelCat=Slides

and this one even has military spec webbing;

http://www.uswebbing.biz/HTML/webbingMilSpec.html

I realize that this was supposed to be a “budget” sling, but I think if you spent a few more dollars on metal hardware, you could turn a good sling into an awesome one, I just wish I could find a local hardware store that carried metal hardware although I am tempted to just order some from one of the websites I posted above.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Based on my modified design, if you were going to build one of these using rugged metal hardware here is approximately what it would cost.

2 – 1.5” black aluminum side release buckle $10.30 ($5.15 each)
http://www.strapworks.com/Side_Release_Buckle_p/msrb-a.htm

For these next two items, I am going to split hairs a little bit since in terms of function, the rounded metal slide would be the best choice for the rear slide lock since it will slide easier and I think the flat slide locks should be used for the other two since you want these to lock in place better. This is assuming that you are going to sew the two straps to the sling rings on the rifle, otherwise you would want to buy two more of the flat slide locks.

1 – 1.5” black rounded metal slide locks $.85 (for the rear slide lock, this is the one that needs to be able to slide easily)
http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-r.htm

2 – 1.5” black flat metal slide locks $1.10 ($.55 each) (for the other two slide locks, the flat slide locks will have a better locking ability)
http://www.strapworks.com/Metal_Slides_p/ms-f.htm

If you can find these at a local shop, go for it, prices will vary.

And you can either get the nylon webbing from your local hardware store for about .50 cents a foot, which based on my modified design, would substitute the 1” webbing with the 1.5” webbing so you will just buy about 12’ of 1.5” webbing which should cost around $6

So for ~ $16.30 you can have a more rugged sling using all metal hardware. Ok, if you have to pay shipping, it should only come to a little over $20.

Or if you wanted to order the patterned ones from that same website, the webbing will cost $.85/foot. You ought to check them out, it’s a huge selection, they got a bullet pattern, 11 different camo patterns (including pink camo) and everything in between.

http://www.strapworks.com/product_p/pewpat112.htm
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 8:46:16 AM EDT
[#6]
For anyone wanting to make a bunch of these, here's a website that has great deals on bulk webbing;

http://www.countrybrookdesign.com/Nylon-Webbing/15-Inch/Black/tc151254/

You can get 20 yards (60 feet) of 1.5" nylon webbing for $16.95!
Link Posted: 12/28/2010 12:50:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Very cool thread - thanks for sharing.

I hate when I find one of these and then go back and find that the pictures are gone, so when I find one that I like I try to save a copy.  I've made a copy of the tutorial and a couple additions from the thread.  You can download a Word copy of it or .PDF copy of it:

Word:
http://www.box.net/shared/038c5b8yt8

PDF:
http://www.box.net/shared/f620igchk4

Thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2011 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Ok, reading must not be fundamental for me.....LOVE the sling, thank you for the idea, but, if you have the sling on and "disconnect" the rear most side release buckle, won't the rifle fall to the ground?  I am sure that I am using the sling wrong, could someone steer me right please?
Link Posted: 1/27/2011 12:05:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Seeking advice..

I have a pretty cheap condor sling (mostly shoot prone but got this for walking to and from the woods) and want to turn it into a 1pt/2pt sling..

Climbing into stands and such is a pain with a 1pt so i want to easily switch to a 2pt when needed.
I was looking at it today and it seems like i can do it in a couple steps..

1) cut the metal by the bungee end (connecting bungee to buckle)

2) add 2 key rings. One to each end that previously connected the bungee side and buckle side (so i dont need to cut the nylon)

3) add snap hook to key ring on bungee side ( EDIT- unfortunately, I dont think i can use the HK style due to the way it attaches to the nylon. it's flat, not circular. It would slide all over the place when connected to the nylon via o-ring).

Anyone have a suggestion for a better way?

This is what I have now..

Link Posted: 1/28/2011 10:52:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Does anyone have any directions for how to convert the original design into a 2pt version like the vcas or vtac would be?

I made one of these from strapworks, but I'm interested in how exactly to convert it to a 2pt.  I don't have a 2pt (VTAC or VCAS to compare it to), so I need some guidance on how this is actually done.  I got one of the 1.5" strap adjusters too with the intent of doing this, but I have no idea how.  I was thinking I would drill a hole in the flat portion of the strap adjuster and run some paracord through it, to make it similar to the VCAS.
Link Posted: 2/18/2011 8:27:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Many thanks for the detailed information and photos; the sling is awesome.
Link Posted: 4/2/2011 4:19:00 AM EDT
[#12]
This is my first post here cause as a major noob, (my son and I are  buildiong our first ARs),  This strap looked fantastic. only problem was finding the supplies to build one. after searching the east side of Houston with no luck I went to the net and guess what I found!  http://www.strapworks.com/AR15_Kits_s/812.htm  Amazingly you can make one as purty as ya want! Kit for about 10 bucks. buckles, straps, and instructions. Hmmmm.?
Link Posted: 4/23/2011 12:51:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the instructions. I bought 2 kits from strapworks and ended up with this on one. I can't find one of the swivel studs for the other AR, so no love for it yet.

Link Posted: 4/25/2011 4:32:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my strapworks setup, sat down for 15minutes and Bingo, Sling is ready. Great instruction. Front slidelock doesn't give me warm fuzzies about staying in the front sight, so I'll be getting something different long term, but Thanks a bunch.
Link Posted: 4/30/2011 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#15]
For second I thought I recognized the dog.  Good thing you blacked out his face!  
Link Posted: 5/5/2011 10:33:57 PM EDT
[#16]
I plan on doing this, but instead of a buckle weak side release I want to do something that is adjustable like the Viking VTAC. The style where if you pull on the tail of the strap it tightens, and if you pull the release tab it loosens up. The problem is that I cant seem to find one that looks like the VTAC, and other than visual similarity, I have nothing to go by. So what kind of piece of hardware would I need?
Link Posted: 5/8/2011 11:02:04 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I finally found out that the VTAC sling uses the same spring-loaded cam lock that is found on ALICE shoulder straps! Since I don't have any surplus stores around, I bought a pair off of ebay for $13.88. Although it seems like a steep price, the straps have 4 cam locks on them, so they will cost less than $3.50 per sling. I'm going to get ITW hardware and nylon webbing in coyote tan from Rockywoods.com.
Link Posted: 5/20/2011 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#18]
Well, before I show all the cool pictures, I have to say that I found out that the ALICE strap only has 1 of the RIGHT cam locks on each strap, so your cost will go up a bit.

Now that that is out of the way, here are pictures of my own, homemade VTAC-style two point sling!

It is uses an ALICE shoulder strap release for the quick adjust.

I wanted to be able to attach it properly, so I rigged up some ghetto attachment points. The front point is self-explanatory, the back point is hiding a velcro loop that keeps it from sliding around and behind the buttpad.

Did the pull strap and velcro keeper with Shoe Goo, and it is holding up really well! The webbing seems to be a great surface to adhere to.

One more pic of my fabulous paracord weaving skills!

All in all it has cost me $20.00 (So far) I am planning on adding padding as soon as I find the right material.
Link Posted: 7/18/2011 1:05:35 AM EDT
[#19]
GREAT POST AND PIX
THANX
Link Posted: 8/13/2011 8:18:33 PM EDT
[#20]
Great thread. This project took no time at all and I'm really pleased with it!
As I went along and especially after I played with the sling on my gun, I was able to find more and more shortcuts and other little changes that helped me too.

Now I've not read every post in the thread, but if this is of any help I think I found everything I needed in the backpacking/camping section at good ole Walmart.
Link Posted: 12/17/2011 10:35:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Just assembled my strapworks sling this morning.  Still trying to figure out how to implement backpack carry.  But overall I am pleased.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 4:14:16 PM EDT
[#22]
I just built my 3 pt sling this morning. The only problem I am having is that my rifle wants to turn upside down on me. Is there a clever fix for this that someone has come up with?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 12:13:30 AM EDT
[#23]
What a great tutorial!  Thank you!
Link Posted: 1/9/2012 12:38:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Has anyone ordered from Nexus in a while?  I can't seem to find the "Sample" buckles any where.  There isn't even an option to place an order...
Link Posted: 2/12/2012 1:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Great tutorial, thanks for posting. Here's mine, but I am going to change the attachment points to keep the rifle from flipping upside down when carrying:
Delton AR by pygar1967, on Flickr" />
Link Posted: 3/2/2012 3:50:28 PM EDT
[#26]
tag
Link Posted: 3/27/2012 1:35:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Where can I find the flat, square metal triglides that are used on most surplus AK slings?
Link Posted: 6/27/2012 8:19:33 PM EDT
[#28]
I bought the kit the other day...got it in the mail today.

I was a bit confused as to which is ourside and or inside but I got it together.

I made one mod though.  I got rid of one of the slide lock buckles and attached the 1 inch wide to the buckle and the 1 1/2 inch webbing to the other side of the buckle.

Thanks.

Ken
Link Posted: 6/28/2012 5:47:04 PM EDT
[#29]
tag
Link Posted: 7/8/2012 5:01:09 AM EDT
[#30]
tagged for future reference.
Link Posted: 7/15/2012 3:56:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Tag!  I have to do this.    
Link Posted: 7/22/2012 3:10:07 PM EDT
[#32]
TAG!  you did good Matt.  Now move to the front of the class.
Link Posted: 7/26/2012 4:44:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Matt I just made your sling.  EXCELLENT.  Total assembly time about 15 minutes.  
My little guy isn't complete yet so I put the sling my FAL for the photo.  I did add H&K snap hooks to the sling.
Link Posted: 9/6/2012 3:39:50 PM EDT
[#34]
tag
Link Posted: 11/16/2012 11:09:27 PM EDT
[#35]
Received my kits today, built the first between calls here at work a few minutes ago! Kind of confusing, but between the photos in the OP, and the instructions included with the kits, I got it together. Great!

Link Posted: 12/12/2012 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#36]
The average VTAC style sling, no mater what brand they sell under, costs anywhere from $35.00-$50.00. I just made 13 VTAC style slings for $127.87 plus shipping. That's $455.00-$650.00 for 13 original VTAC slings. The homemade VTAC style slings cost at about $9.84 each and 2 1/2 hours of my time. I stumbled upon how to make this sling from "TheHossUSMC" from YouTube.

How to YouTube LINK-->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hPu9L4tWJg
I ordered my sling parts from http://www.jontay.com/
Parts List:
1. W-N07 1000 M COYOTE 1" NYLON WEBBING MIL-SPEC 43668 CORDURA 1 INCH-WIDE QUANTITY 35 YDS ($55.65)
2. B-CM-05 1000 BLACK 1" CAM BUCKLES QUICK RELEASE METAL 1 INCH-WIDE QUANTITY 13 PCS ($36.27)
3. B-SB-09 1000 BLACK 1' METAL SINGLE-BAR SLIDES 1 INCH-WIDE BLACK QUANTITY 100 PCS ($22.00)

Final Product:
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o650/SHtFiNduStrIeS/DSCF0162.jpg
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o650/SHtFiNduStrIeS/DSCF0160.jpg
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o650/SHtFiNduStrIeS/DSCF0159.jpg
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o650/SHtFiNduStrIeS/DSCF01661.jpg
http://i1336.photobucket.com/albums/o650/SHtFiNduStrIeS/DSCF0165.jpg
Link Posted: 12/28/2012 12:55:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Using mainly spoons.......
Link Posted: 12/30/2012 5:08:13 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 12/31/2012 11:52:03 AM EDT
[#39]
Great write up. I used the OP idea, but slightly modified. Instead of doing closed loops on my rifle, I attached buckles so I'm able to easily remove and install the sling.

I'll post pictures later today.
Link Posted: 1/1/2013 12:15:38 PM EDT
[#40]

I used clips to attach it to my rifle so I can easily remove the sling.

Link Posted: 1/14/2013 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#41]
this thread seems closest to my inquiry, since I didn't want to start a separate thread by itself

I currently have a Magpul MS3 with the "claw" not QD.

my only beef is its not padded.  i'm thinking of DIY by adding either a High Speed Gear WAS/WEE Shoulder pad, or just rip from those velcro shoulder pad on cheapy backpacks/messenger bags, or Timbuk2 Delux Strap pad.

was wondering if anyone has thought about adding padding to their MS3 or is Magpul doing this already on the next model?

thanks in advance

#Magpul #MS3 #padding
Link Posted: 2/20/2013 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#42]
where did the pics go ?
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 4:40:32 PM EDT
[#43]
Pics are gone.  Can we get OP to repost the pictures??
Link Posted: 2/24/2013 4:48:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 3:02:08 AM EDT
[#45]
This pics were here last month.

If you quote the op for a reply, you get the pic links and they go to a website that is no longer.  I thought AR15.com had server storage for stickyed posts like this.

Might as well take it down, because no matter how good the description, I would like to see some progress n the design or else I'd get myself tied up into knots!  I don't think I am the only one that see the OP as a wall of text.
Link Posted: 2/27/2013 3:14:22 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
The average VTAC style sling, no mater what brand they sell under, costs anywhere from $35.00-$50.00. I just made 13 VTAC style slings for $127.87 plus shipping. That's $455.00-$650.00 for 13 original VTAC slings. The homemade VTAC style slings cost at about $9.84 each and 2 1/2 hours of my time. I stumbled upon how to make this sling from "TheHossUSMC" from YouTube.

How to YouTube LINK-->  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hPu9L4tWJg
I ordered my sling parts from http://www.jontay.com/
Parts List:
1. W-N07 1000 M COYOTE 1" NYLON WEBBING MIL-SPEC 43668 CORDURA 1 INCH-WIDE QUANTITY 35 YDS ($55.65)

Thanks.  I am going to try this.  If anyone else is - the website where these supplies were purchased now lists that "A-A 55301 is a replacement webbing for the 43668 and is used for the camouflage nylon webbing."  You wont find the 43668 there anymore, but the new mil-spec.

Link Posted: 2/27/2013 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#47]
This thread is now useless without pictures.  Thanks for the youtube link. That'll have to do.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 7:32:45 PM EDT
[#48]
Who makes the best webbing?  Cheaper is not better - but I'd be looking for webbing that is nicely tailored on the edges to be smooth to slide across skin easier.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 1:57:36 PM EDT
[#49]
I got all of my parts at Jontay   http://www.jontay.com  I screwed up and got he HK clips w/o the hole.  Just found some with the hole on Ebay for $2.95 each w/free shipping.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 11:56:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
This thread is now useless without pictures.  Thanks for the youtube link. That'll have to do.

I saw this sticky when I was going to ask about bipods and though, "I love DIY projects and a cheap sling would be perfect for my first build!".... too bad :\ Is there anywhere else where I can find a write-up like this? I'm better with reading and pics vs videos..
Page / 16
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top