Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/27/2003 12:29:06 PM EDT
I wanted to get your recommendations on shooting glasses.  Order of importance:

1.  Reliable and Durable. -I want them to be TOUGH.
2.  Does no change my vision. -I don't want to feel like I'm looking through glasses.  I know this is inevitable to some extent but I want to minimize it.
3.  Comfortable.  -I realize opinions on this will vary according to facial structures but maybe this will atleast eliminate the worst offenders.  I like to be comfortable when shooting if I can.

Thanks guys (and ladies).
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 2:11:03 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the Wiley-X Romer II's.  A traditional style sunglasses with impact rated interchangable lenses.   More affordable than Oakley's.

southern
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 9:40:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Is there a website where I could look at them or buy them?  Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 10:34:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Here ya go:

[url]http://www.sporteyes.com/wilintr.htm#Romer%20II[/url]

southern
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 3:56:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Oakleys

Get the M Frame, The XX, or the Straight Jacket.

They are almost the same price as Wiley X glasses.  

YMMV
Monty
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 2:26:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 4:34:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Got a silly question for you guys with the Oakley's and wileys... Do you guys have small heads? (not makeing fun of you) I tried on a pair of Oakleys a few years ago and they were too tight on my FAT head. My head was wider than the width of the glasses. Im looking for a set of shooting glasses so if there are any guys out there with big heads please chime in..
Link Posted: 10/28/2003 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#7]
As far as I know, there is only one set of "optically perfect" protective eye wear and those are the CLEAR Gargoyle safety glasses.  I bought a pair about a month ago for classes and they worked great.  If you need something with a tint to it, the Oakey's seem to be the way to go.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 6:43:02 AM EDT
[#8]
While I agree with quality and comfort of the Oakleys.  I have 4 pairs of them. :)  For shooting, I a pair M-Frame and Heater lenses.

However, the one complain I have about Oakleys is that their Iridium lens scratches very easily.  I have already gone through 2 pair of them.

A couple of months ago, I picked up a pair of Rudy Project [url=http://www.rudyprojectusa.com/products/sunglasses/styles/freeon.htm#]Freeon[/url].  I found it to be as comfortable as my Oakleys, and a bit lighter in weight.  But when I like most about them is that their lenses are a lot more scratch resistant then the Oakleys.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 7:07:19 AM EDT
[#9]
Best?  Subjectively speaking I love the M-Frames...

I wear Strike lenses and for $30-$70 you can change the configuration as many times as you want.

I have clear lenses, persimmon, Fire {increase contrast medium to bright light}, Ice {bright light 9% transmission}, and Red+ {bright light increase contrast}....

I wear them for golf, shotgunning, range shooting, softball, football, cycling.....

The open sides and bottom and the lenses geometry do not distort the "picture".  I do notice distortion when I wear my "Oakley Fives".

I wear a size 7.5 fitted baseball hat.  My head is not thin but not fat either...

Link Posted: 10/31/2003 8:18:40 AM EDT
[#10]
I've been watching this thread and I want to thank everyone for their input, so thank you all.  

Quoted:
I prefer the Wiley-X Romer II's.  A traditional style sunglasses with impact rated interchangable lenses.   More affordable than Oakley's.

southern
View Quote

These glasses are the ones I am still the most interested in so far.  I really like the interchangeable lens feature.  I'm wondering how well the lenses stay in place though?  If they interchange are they prone to falling out or popping out when just being bumped?  How resistant are the lenses to scratching?

Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/31/2003 9:08:39 PM EDT
[#11]
I have never had a lense pop out on the Wiley's.  They seem to scratch about the same as the Oakley's.   BTW, I have had four pair of Oakley's before the Wiley's.  

southern
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 1:00:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I've got a pretty big noggin and use Oakley M Frames with the clear lenses (btw, I do agree that the iridium lenses scratch pretty easily).  Haven't had any problems with them being too tight or anything like that.  The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't fold - and are a PITA to transport unless I keep them on my head...

hsld.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:10:08 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Got a silly question for you guys with the Oakley's and wileys... Do you guys have small heads? (not makeing fun of you) I tried on a pair of Oakleys a few years ago and they were too tight on my FAT head. My head was wider than the width of the glasses. Im looking for a set of shooting glasses so if there are any guys out there with big heads please chime in..
View Quote

I have a fat head.

M Frames work, the XX's are ok, but the Straight Jackets fit me the best.
Link Posted: 11/1/2003 6:11:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I've got a pretty big noggin and use Oakley M Frames with the clear lenses (btw, I do agree that the iridium lenses scratch pretty easily).  Haven't had any problems with them being too tight or anything like that.  The only thing I don't like about them is that they don't fold - and are a PITA to transport unless I keep them on my head...

hsld.
View Quote

You got the Pro M Frames...designed for ball players.  They make a folding M-Frame.
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I use Wiley-X Saber model glasses. I have no complaints.....
Link Posted: 11/2/2003 10:48:06 PM EDT
[#16]
Yeah, I know they make a folding M Frame, but I got these ones (for free) from my brother.  If I do end up getting another pair, I'll definately go with the folding version...

hsld.
Link Posted: 11/4/2003 11:48:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Have the clear Gargoyles and am in the process of purchasing the clear M frames.  The M frames are FAR more optically correct than the Gargoyles and the Gargoyles have a beveled edge which distorts vision and leaves the bottom exposed unlike a full heater M frame.

Anyone have a source for SI M frames?
Link Posted: 11/5/2003 6:13:32 AM EDT
[#18]
DevL,
Try Galls.  They carry Oakley SI products:

[url]http://www.galls.com/style.html?style=EW098&assort=general_catalog[/url]

You definitely can't go wrong with Oakleys.  They are 100% optically correct meaning there is NO distortion through the lens and they exceed the ANSI Z87 specs.  Oakley reps have a pretty cool laser device to demonstrate their optical clarity.  They aim a laser through an Oakley lense and it 'hits' the target dead center.  They then place a competitor's glass on this and you can visibly see the laser deviate.  to get this clarity, Oakley actually starts with a lens blank this is almost 3 times the size of the finished product.

In regards to ballistic protection, I have seen Oakley lenses shot with a 12 gauge at approx. 10 feet and there was absolutely no penetration.

They are expensive, but you do get what you pay for!!  Also, the iridium lenses do scratch fairly easiliy, but you can always pick up the non-iridium colors, which, IMHO, are much more suited to field work, anyway.

DevL,
Your other option would be an AAFES Clothing Sales store.  I was at Offutt the other day and noticed they were carrying standard and SI Oakelys in Clothing Sales.  Prices seemed reasonable.

One more option would be, if you are Military/LEO and have some teammates who would like to purchase would be to contact Oakley's Government sales team and arrange a 'group buy' through them direct.  Probably better prices than anywhere.

Good luck!

I am in no way affiliated with Oakley, but have sold many, many pairs of them over the years to LEO and bicycle enthusiasts.

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top