Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/26/2003 6:10:44 PM EDT
I would like to get a single point sling. I am looking at the CQB solutions. I know I need a reciever sling mount, but, it says to have an armorer or gunsmith install it for you. It is that hard to do?
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:16:15 PM EDT
[#1]
It's definately not hard.  If you can remove your telestock or A2 stock, then that's all there is to it.  The adapter just fits between the stock and the receiver.

edited to add:  BTW, the CQB single point is a great sling IMO.
Link Posted: 8/26/2003 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Well, what's so hard about that, why would they recommend a gunsmith to do it? Legality?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:33:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Nothing is hard about it.  You just have to make sure you can take off and put on a stock.  The hardest parts about it is making sure you don't send any of the springs flying across the room.  

Oil changes and disc brakes aren't hard either.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 3:46:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Its not difficult to do.  If I can do it you can.

I still recommend going with the Giles Single Point from the Wilderness.  Single point slings get A LOT of wear at the point they make contact with the ring.  Only the Giles is made of tough enough webbing to last in the long run in this style.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 4:48:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Lumpy, I bought a Giles sling for my Bushy 20 inch A2 after you recommended it last time. You were right, that is an awesome sling. This single point is for an Colt M4. Do they wear that bad? Not worth it?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#6]
If your ring nut is staked to the receiver end plate, invest in a good spanner wrench.  Cheap wrenches will frequently break before the stakes will.  Also, if Wilderness still uses the GG&G adapter be prepared to get "the scar."
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 5:50:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Its not difficult to do.  If I can do it you can.

I still recommend going with the Giles Single Point from the Wilderness.  Single point slings get A LOT of wear at the point they make contact with the ring.  Only the Giles is made of tough enough webbing to last in the long run in this style.
View Quote

The Daniel Defense Simple-Sling/Burnsed Loop is also built like a tank for a single-pint sling.
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 6:08:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Anyone have any expirence with the single point slings that have those HK style snap hooks?
Link Posted: 8/27/2003 7:59:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone have any expirence with the single point slings that have those HK style snap hooks?
View Quote

[url]www.grsc.com[/url] makes some decent ones.
[img]http://www.grsc.com/cqbc.JPG[/img]

I had one of the 1" tube slings w/hk hook from me223 but found it a bit too thin to carry the weight of my AR.GRSC's are wider.
Link Posted: 8/28/2003 12:14:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Prone:

Like Vinnie said, the only difficult part is not losing any of the springs when you take the stock off. If you have a full stock, it's pretty much a slam dunk. If you have a CAR stock, you will need a wrench to loosen the retaining nut & retighten it when you're finished.

Since I have two with CAR stocks, I just gave in and  bought a stock wrench from Brownells. It has a recess for a 1/2" drive so I can use a breaker bar/ratchet to loosen the nut, & a torque wrench to retighten. BTW, the pin on the Brownells wrench which fits the recess on the retaining nut was way too soft to tighten up the nut. I had to make a new pin out of a punch tip after the original pin rounded off & wouldn't hold on the nut.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 7:38:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Muzzle discipline with a single point sling?

When using a single point sling with both hands free and the rifle hanging down between the operator's knees, the issue of muzzle discipline arises.  With the rifle in this position, the muzzle consistently sweeps over the feet and lower legs.  Even with the safety engaged, having a round in the chamber, this makes for poor practice.  

I wonder if some other deployment technique would prevent this type of potentially dangerous muzzle exposure?  Any suggestion for reasonably knowledgable individuals (RKI's).

BTW, using a plastic muzzle cap when the rifle is in hands free mode is a good idea.  Bending of the knees or bending over at the waist puts the muzzle in the dirt.  Always use protection.
Link Posted: 8/31/2003 11:09:56 AM EDT
[#12]
I don't see how trasistioning from rifle to sidearm would be any different with a single point sling than it would be with a 3 point sling.  I was taught a trick at Blackwater that works well with both single point and 3 point slings.  When you drop your rifle to transition, turn the rifle clockwise (for the right hand shooter, this will have the pistol grip pointing to the left).  This locks the rifle in with the sling.  You will notice less "bounce" with your rifle when you walk, if you have a tac latch installed, it you punch into your ribs, and the muzzle should be pointing to the left of your feet.
Link Posted: 9/5/2003 4:37:19 AM EDT
[#13]
I bought a CQB Solutions singlepoint and did not like it.  The rifle just hangs down with no support.  When you move it swings everywhere banging against your legs and flags your feet.  Not the safest sling.  I turned around and bought the SOP Patrol Sling from CQB and loved it!  Multi points means a more secure rifle if your shooting and moving.
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top