Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/21/2003 7:27:14 AM EDT
Does anyone have experience with the HK sling.  I was watching Louis Awerbuck's shooting video and he recommends the HK highly.  

H&K Sling

I hate slings that have too many loops and buckles.  I want it to work as a team sling or to use for African or American carry and be very simple.  

I am really looking for input on this sling but also some recommendations for a simple sling for my Benelli M1 tac.  

One other point is I work for a H&K dealer and can get that sling for master dealer cost.  Also most other slings the webbing goes through the mount in the side of the Benelli stock and holds the top of the shotgun out away from the body, looks like the H&K sling with the clips will help hold it flat.  

Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:08:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I have the H&K slings on both my Benelli entry gun & my MP-5. So far they have worked very well for me. The only thing I don't like about them is the noise from the metal snaps & buckles. I thought about replacing them with the Giles sling, but haven't done so yet.

I especially like the spring clip at the forend end of the sling. It holds the slack out of the sling until you snap the gun out hard enough to pop the buckle loose from the clip. Works really well for CQB with a little practice....
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:16:07 PM EDT
[#2]
what are your guys thoughts on using a GG&G single point sling mount on a shotgun?  i've switched to single points on my carbines for CQB distances as i found them SO much better for transitioning to the weak side, especially when shooting around barricades.  since the shotgun is primarily a CQB weapon, i thought it'd make even more sense to go to a single point on one.  i've got the GG&G single point mount for my benelli M3 so i'm going to give that a try.  any thoughts on that?
cheers,
MM
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:33:02 PM EDT
[#3]
My feeling is that a shotgun with a full extended magazine tube and a Surefire light is too front heavy for a single point sling.  Far too much swinging during movement.

All the advantages you pointed out are why they excel on short light carbines.  Ive used the Giles sling for several years on my M4.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:36:57 PM EDT
[#4]
MM:
I have ZERO experience with single-point slings, but I do have one ordered for my Bushy from CQB Solutions. Once I have some time in with it, if it works as well as most people say it does, I may look at putting the same setup on the Benelli & MP-5. I like the idea of having the same sling setup on all the CQB guns, based on the KISS principle.

I never really thought about the need to transition to weak-side for clearing corners, etc, but it makes a lot of sense. And as you said, since the shotgun is really a CQB weapon, going to the non-dominant eye shouldn't really be a handicap.....Let me know how it works for you on your M3.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 9:41:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
My feeling is that a shotgun with a full extended magazine tube and a Surefire light is too front heavy for a single point sling.  Far too much swinging during movement.
View Quote

Lumpy:
Do you think the Benelli 14" with the standard 5-shot mag & SureFire forend would work with a single-point sling? Or is the balance point still too far forward for that setup?
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:16:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I have used a single point sling on a carbine.  It is a very fast transition which I like for an entry gun but I don't like them on a weapon you may carry for some time.  You don't really have a way to get the weapon onto your back and out of the way should you need to, or get it far enough away from your body to move through a fence, small opening or the like.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:37:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

Lumpy:
Do you think the Benelli 14" with the standard 5-shot mag & SureFire forend would work with a single-point sling? Or is the balance point still too far forward for that setup?
View Quote

That would be doable most likely, as would a 14" 870.  It would still have the forward weight, and probably the most of movement, but its far less weight moving around.  You have to realize, a heavy gun on a single point sling is like a fulcrum, and the heavier the end of it is, the more movement your going to get for those occassions when you are hands free (searching, cuffing etc)

I dont want anyone to get me wrong.  Im not bashing single point slings.  In fact its all Ive used on my short ARs for about 2 years now.  But it does have some drawbacks, as do the 3 point slings.

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:45:37 PM EDT
[#8]
good points, all.  there's always going to be a compromise between maneuverability and control of the muzzle end.  
a 3-pt sling on the M3 is just too long. even putting the CQB solutions patrol sling with that quick release buckle on it so that you can 'extend' the sling for transitions i find a bit clumsy.  unfortunately, my M3 is the regular length, not the entry length.
with my carbine, when i move it to my side, it's mostly out of the way, but i'll still get hit in the knee/back of the legs with the swinging muzzle.
another option i might try with the M3 is to use both the single point sling attach point, AND the front sling point (instead of ONLY the single point attach point).  the weapon can pivot around the single point attachment, with the butt-end free, but i might still have some control on the muzzle end.  it's all about playin' around with different configs :-)  live and learn huh?
cheers,
MM
Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top