Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/2/2003 2:46:56 PM EDT
I am beginning to research  which sleeping bag to buy for camping. I greatly value everyones personal experiences and imput.

Here are some of my specifications:

Light:  2-3 pounds

Rated for average Cal summer/winter temp.

Durablilaty: average.  I don't get a chance to go out alot anymore.

Price range: aprrox $100

Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 3:38:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Bud,

I would suggest you post this in the Survival Forum.  The guys there are nuts on these type topics.  

Tj
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 4:33:03 PM EDT
[#2]
For a hundred bucks, you won't get much.  lightweight bags are usually filled with goose down.  If you want a usable bag, you'll want one that has a gortex shell, otherwise plan on being wet and cold.  Holofil bags (synthetic) are warm even when wet, but they weight more than a down bag.  For what you are describing, you can find a 20-25 degree holofill bag.  It may get you by, providing you have a good tent.  Personally, I won't go out without a 0 degree bag, just in case.  I've done the same experimenting and spent alot of money on bags that I just have around the house or in the back of my Jeep as Throw blankets or beach blankets.  Do yourself a favor and look into spending at leat 200 on a bag.  It'll save you in the long run.  Look around local shops, browse REI and EMS, but before you buy, see if you can find it at [url=www.campmor.com]Campmor[/url].  I've found equipment at half the price at this site.
Link Posted: 5/2/2003 5:26:45 PM EDT
[#3]
TJ's right.You'll probably get more exposure in the survival forum.In any case, you might look into the Wiggy's bags.They are faily inexpensive yet built like a tank.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 12:36:26 AM EDT
[#4]
thanks guys,  I guess I will wait and save up.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 6:56:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Check Campmor or Sierra Trading Post.  They both usually have good deals.
[url]http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ExecMacro/welcome.d2w/report[/url]
[url]http://www.sierratradingpost.com/Default.asp?wc=true[/url]
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
There is only one real bag out there, and its Wiggys. However $100 won't get one.
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 7:51:42 PM EDT
[#7]
You need to specify your temperatures a little more and where you are going.  I've been snowed on in August and the canteens froze All I had was a ground cloth and medium mummy bag.  Was OK until the range cattle herd wandered through, that made everybody a little more concerned.  I've also been in the desert in the winter and the day temp was in the 80's and night in the 60's..

After almost 50 years here I came to the conclusion one bag wasn't goona cut it all the time.  Might be a medium and then an additional external wrap of some king.  Are you going to be backpacking? windy areas?  would an extra foam roll be better for more insulation at low weight and low cost?
Link Posted: 5/3/2003 9:15:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Why was it ok until the range cattle wandered through? Did they bring a cold front?

Bob

Link Posted: 5/16/2003 1:08:09 AM EDT
[#9]
No it was up at Bodie State Park(Ghost Town at 8000+ ft in altitude.) when they still had a campground and it was pretty darned cold for the middle of August.  The problem with range cattle when you and your buddies are all sleeping on ground cloths only is that they may step on you or worse and it was too cold to sit up and grab flashlights or ??? and shoo them away, and yah don't want to spook them so they start running as a group.  Getting stepped on by one isn't fun.  Getting pooped on aint much better.
Link Posted: 5/16/2003 4:47:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Be tough.. All you need is a poncho and liner.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2003 7:46:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Wiggys, even though the owner of the company has his tin foil hat on way too tight.

They're considerably warmer than their temp rating would indicate.

Link Posted: 5/20/2003 10:58:08 PM EDT
[#12]
There is only one answer when talking abt sleeping bags : Wiggy's

I T&E mine 365 days years, H24 , in any weather condition and there was no fault.

Save yr money and get a Wiggy's

PP out
Link Posted: 5/21/2003 4:05:43 PM EDT
[#13]
PincoPalla,

What is T&E? Thanks for your info on Wiggy's.

Bob

Page AR-15 » Slings and Other Accessories
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top