Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:25:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 9:54:31 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not sure where you got that quote since that's not what we said, but since you supplied the link, everyone can see what we were actually getting at.

It's not an optic intended for dialing shots - if you want something to dial shots at varying distances and with a higher degree of precision, then a different optic would be better - there are many like this that exist and are very good at the job. A Prism scope is designed to be quick and extremely simple to use. You zero it, then shoot it using the BDC reticle. This isn't a new concept. If zeroing is of concern with the 1 MOA clicks, then people aren't realizing that in an absolute worst case scenario, the maximum you could ever be off of your zero is 1/2 MOA, so about 1/4 inch at 50 yards. If you and your gun are shooting sub-1/4 inch at 50 yards together and all the shooting you're going to be doing with it is in scenarios where you have time and structure to maintain that level of accuracy and it's extremely important to what you do, then again, get a different optic.

Now, if you're just upset because you've been looking for a super precise, dialing, fixed power 3x or 5x prism optic and this just isn't cutting it, then we'll happily take that as a suggestion.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, that's kind of the problem, Vortex basically straight up said that it's only minute of man or good enough intended in the other thread.

ETA:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Vortex-Spitfire-HD-GEN-II-3X-and-5X-Prism-Scopes/18-760539/#i8236326

ETA2:
Rereading it, LOL at the "people get hung up on standards and tend to measure stuff by them too much"
Not sure where you got that quote since that's not what we said, but since you supplied the link, everyone can see what we were actually getting at.

It's not an optic intended for dialing shots - if you want something to dial shots at varying distances and with a higher degree of precision, then a different optic would be better - there are many like this that exist and are very good at the job. A Prism scope is designed to be quick and extremely simple to use. You zero it, then shoot it using the BDC reticle. This isn't a new concept. If zeroing is of concern with the 1 MOA clicks, then people aren't realizing that in an absolute worst case scenario, the maximum you could ever be off of your zero is 1/2 MOA, so about 1/4 inch at 50 yards. If you and your gun are shooting sub-1/4 inch at 50 yards together and all the shooting you're going to be doing with it is in scenarios where you have time and structure to maintain that level of accuracy and it's extremely important to what you do, then again, get a different optic.

Now, if you're just upset because you've been looking for a super precise, dialing, fixed power 3x or 5x prism optic and this just isn't cutting it, then we'll happily take that as a suggestion.

Not upset, completely confused at a 1 MOA center dot, clearly meant for more precise shooting, 5x prism with a MRDS mount specifically built on the top of it further reinforcing that concept, getting 1 MOA adjustments when the standard for adjustments have been better than 1 MOA for longer than you've been on this forum.

No one is running around with a 5mm exit pupil 5x prism as their primary or only optic, and if they are, they are confused or were missled.

As in the other thread, this is not for me for due to the reasons I listed above.

Regardless, I hope you continue to to do well in the optics market.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:44:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:18:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I checked one out this weekend at the Kenzie booth. I found the edge to edge clarity clean and no distortion- unlike the PA 3x a buddy has or my MRO.
On par with Aimpoint.
Same mount as Aimpoint.
No starburst with my Astigmatism.
Wish the emitter had the longer battery life - it a $7 difference according to Marsh.
Have to rethink my optics.
The 1x6 Credo was also quite clear. Initially some edge fisheye moving side to side but was able to dial it out with the diopter adjustment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the gen 1 3x, and absolutely love it. The reticle is perfect. It also has .5 moa adjustments and a little heavier but the fov is phenomenal.

It really performs well at 100yds imo. It's also works with my nvgs.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/23/2021 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Yep there's definitely some confusion in that breakdown, but you've already determined it's not for you, so it's a moot point and all good in the end! Good thing there are plenty of choices in optics these days.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not upset, completely confused at a 1 MOA center dot, clearly meant for more precise shooting, 5x prism with a MRDS mount specifically built on the top of it further reinforcing that concept, getting 1 MOA adjustments when the standard for adjustments have been better than 1 MOA for longer than you've been on this forum.

No one is running around with a 5mm exit pupil 5x prism as their primary or only optic, and if they are, they are confused or were missled.

As in the other thread, this is not for me for due to the reasons I listed above.

Yep there's definitely some confusion in that breakdown, but you've already determined it's not for you, so it's a moot point and all good in the end! Good thing there are plenty of choices in optics these days.

5x Spitfire HD Gen 2
5x magnification
1 MOA center dot
BDC reticle for ranged shooting
MRDS mount on top
1 MOA adjustments

1x Spitfire AR (Gen 2)
1x magnification
3 MOA center Dot
No BDC or ranging stadia
1/2 MOA adjustments

One of these are meant for close in non precision work, yet the the one that doesn't fill that role has poor (by today's standards) adjustment

Even the current Gen 1 Spitfire 3x has .5MOA adjustments.

It confuses the heck out of me why everything else was put into the 5x Spitfire HD Gen 2, only to be handicapped by design with the 1 MOA adjustments.

There is no market, group, segment or class of shooter that benefits from (or even welcomes?) less adjustment.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:02:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

5x Spitfire HD Gen 2
5x magnification
1 MOA center dot
MRDS mount on top
1 MOA adjustments

1x Spitfire AR (Gen 2)
1x magnification
3 MOA center Dot
No BDC or ranging stadia
1/2 MOA adjustments

One of these are meant for close in non precision work, yet the the one that doesn't fill that role has poor (by today's standards) adjustment

It confuses the heck out of me why everything else was put into the 5x Spitfire HD Gen 2, only to be handicapped by design with the 1 MOA adjustments.

There is no market, group, segment or class of shooter that benefits from (or even welcomes?) less adjustment.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

5x Spitfire HD Gen 2
5x magnification
1 MOA center dot
MRDS mount on top
1 MOA adjustments

1x Spitfire AR (Gen 2)
1x magnification
3 MOA center Dot
No BDC or ranging stadia
1/2 MOA adjustments

It’s really not “handicapped”. Or at least, it’s handicapped in the same sense a 1/4 MOA adjustment optic is relative to a 1/8 MOA adjustment optic. This literally won’t matter in real life.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:15:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 5:35:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

5x Spitfire HD Gen 2
5x magnification
1 MOA center dot
MRDS mount on top
1 MOA adjustments

1x Spitfire AR (Gen 2)
1x magnification
3 MOA center Dot
No BDC or ranging stadia
1/2 MOA adjustments

View Quote
I dont know why you continue to badger Vortex with this. You've made your point and have even stated you would not have been the marketed audience.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:09:43 PM EDT
[#10]
I've pre ordered a 5x. I agree with vortex that it's not a deal breaker

But it's still stupid. They should just say, "you're right, we cut a corner to save .$50" and we'll fix it on future versions"
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:35:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's pretty obvious from the existence of this thread and so many of the comments in it that he is not alone. This optic is exciting to many of us who have been wanting a higher magnification, lightweight prism scope specifically for more precise shooting...and the fact that an overwhelming number of people have commented expressing the same desire shows that we are not alone. You could be friendly and receptive to feedback from the community in order to help communicate the desire for an improved version but it seems you are only here to be snarky and insult your potential customers...not the best PR move
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:37:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I've pre ordered a 5x. I agree with vortex that it's not a deal breaker

But it's still stupid. They should just say, "you're right, we cut a corner to save .$50" and we'll fix it on future versions"
View Quote

Exactly.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 11:38:39 PM EDT
[#13]
I prefer more refined adjustments, but realistically wind is going to probably have more impact at long distance than these adjustment values will. It's a compact prism sight, I don't think anyone is going to be trying to shoot groups with it at 600 yards.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:40:52 AM EDT
[#14]
It adjusts to well within the mechanical precision of the rifles its meant to ride, and 99.9% of shooters will never notice the difference even under the most controlled of circumstances, and that .1% would be using the optic well outside of anything it was meant to be used for. This is akin to complaining that a hammer is a poorly designed hedge clipper. I literally can’t with this thread lol
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 8:15:26 AM EDT
[#15]
I’m thinking I’m going to put one of the new 5x Vortex prism scopes (with a piggyback MRDS ... have a random vortex MRDS from years ago sitting around) on my Vz58, since they aren’t so well suited for LPVOs.

Pretty sure it’s going to be just about perfect for that rifle.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:33:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
It's pretty obvious from the existence of this thread and so many of the comments in it that he is not alone. This optic is exciting to many of us who have been wanting a higher magnification, lightweight prism scope specifically for more precise shooting...and the fact that an overwhelming number of people have commented expressing the same desire shows that we are not alone. You could be friendly and receptive to feedback from the community in order to help communicate the desire for an improved version but it seems you are only here to be snarky and insult your potential customers...not the best PR move
View Quote

I've got no dog in this fight, but I haven't seen where they got snarky. Criticism was leveled at their product, they responded with a legit answer, some guy kept kicking the horse over and over. They responded with the exact same answer over and over.

Then the guy admits he isn't even interested in the optic in the first place. For someone who supposedly isn't interested, he sure showed a lot of interest.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:23:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 12:52:09 PM EDT
[#18]
If you’re making sub-MOA shots, at distance, with a BDC reticle, such that 1 MOA adjustments are too coarse... I’ll literally pay you my entire bank account to teach me your magic.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 2:49:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
If you're making sub-MOA shots, at distance, with a BDC reticle, such that 1 MOA adjustments are too coarse... I'll literally pay you my entire bank account to teach me your magic.
View Quote
If anyone would do floating chevrons like the PSO-1, I could give that a run, sub-MOA wise. At 100yds or a well enclosed 600yd range, even halves can be a nuisance. However I don't like counting quarters or seeing the marks mashed together on the adjuster.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 4:32:16 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I dont think your comment in the last sentence is very fair at all, considering in 9/10 threads regarding issues with their optics they tend to pop in and say send it to us please so we can make it right. Theyve also gone to great lengths to explain why things are the way that they are with a lot of their products and explained why they can't do things a certain way sometimes.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:18:24 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It adjusts to well within the mechanical precision of the rifles its meant to ride, and 99.9% of shooters will never notice the difference even under the most controlled of circumstances, and that .1% would be using the optic well outside of anything it was meant to be used for. This is akin to complaining that a hammer is a poorly designed hedge clipper. I literally can’t with this thread lol
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Placed my preorder on Optics Planet last night.

Biggest question I have is MRDS top vs offset side mount. Really hoping this setup shakes up the LVPO arena.
Should have better field of view and eye box. I expect around 14oz with an Arisaka offset mount and MRDS. I can't even get a LVPO w/ mount under 20oz; most are ~24oz. That 10oz will make a big difference to transitions and overall balance.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 4:38:14 AM EDT
[#23]
Whether I want it or not has no bearing on whether I can talk about it or not. I actually do want it, but I cannot accept the 1 MOA adjustments.

I like to do crazy stuff, like verify my POA/POI with BDC reticles, at range, with my rifle, my ammo, in my environment, something I am less capable of doing with 1 MOA adjustments.

I do not buy a fixed 5x optic to shoot sub MOA at 500 yards. But it sure as shit would be nice to be able to adjust it less than 5 full inches at 500 yards.

Thou shall not question the decisions made by the manufacturer. It's the customer's responsibility to work around the manufacturer's decisions. If the customer can't see why the manufacturer made certain decisions, they are not the target market and they should find a new optic. Questioning the manufacturer's decisions will result in ridiculous analogies, claims and not so subtle hints to cut it out.

Got it, moving on. Flame away.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 11:54:04 AM EDT
[#24]
 https://imgur.com/gallery/xlMs1X7

I picked up 3xpower version up from brownells and I like it. I don’t mind 1 moa adjustment .only complaint is that the adjustment slots are uncovered. Little cap would be nice . I used my lite carbine it has a faxon lite barrel with the milled in flash suppressor. I did a final zero at 100 yards with 52 gr match load of my own making .
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Whether I want it or not has no bearing on whether I can talk about it or not. I actually do want it, but I cannot accept the 1 MOA adjustments.

I like to do crazy stuff, like verify my POA/POI with BDC reticles, at range, with my rifle, my ammo, in my environment, something I am less capable of doing with 1 MOA adjustments.

I do not buy a fixed 5x optic to shoot sub MOA at 500 yards. But it sure as shit would be nice to be able to adjust it less than 5 full inches at 500 yards.

Thou shall not question the decisions made by the manufacturer. It's the customer's responsibility to work around the manufacturer's decisions. If the customer can't see why the manufacturer made certain decisions, they are not the target market and they should find a new optic. Questioning the manufacturer's decisions will result in ridiculous analogies, claims and not so subtle hints to cut it out.

Got it, moving on. Flame away.
View Quote
I say you do something crazy. Like call them.
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 7:06:08 PM EDT
[#26]
You got your answer above- they made the concession of a less precise turret system to minimize form/weight. I don't know precisely how much size and weight is shaved off, but I absolutely think they chose the right philosophy. Anyone looking at a 5x fixed prism is prioritizing those things, otherwise just get a scope.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 1:38:13 PM EDT
[#27]
I haven't tried (or even seen) either the 3x or the 5x prism scopes, but I wish I'd bought them instead of the Steiner prism scopes I bought. I'm happy with the Steiner scopes, but my limited experience with customer service is spotty at best. While Steiner did replace my 3x prism with a brand-new unit because of a problem with my first one, their treatment of an emailed question was downright dismissive and rude IMO. My (slightly more) experience with Vortex's customer service has been consistently stellar with no exceptions.
So... Steiner = German-made, undeniably high-quality, but inconsistent customer service..... versus Vortex = Chinese-made, also high-quality, with EXCELLENT US-based customer service. To me, that tilts the balance toward Vortex. Just my opinion, based on my own observations and (very) limited experience.
Link Posted: 3/1/2021 3:05:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I haven't tried (or even seen) either the 3x or the 5x prism scopes, but I wish I'd bought them instead of the Steiner prism scopes I bought. I'm happy with the Steiner scopes, but my limited experience with customer service is spotty at best. While Steiner did replace my 3x prism with a brand-new unit because of a problem with my first one, their treatment of an emailed question was downright dismissive and rude IMO. My (slightly more) experience with Vortex's customer service has been consistently stellar with no exceptions.
So... Steiner = German-made, undeniably high-quality, but inconsistent customer service..... versus Vortex = Chinese-made, also high-quality, with EXCELLENT US-based customer service. To me, that tilts the balance toward Vortex. Just my opinion, based on my own observations and (very) limited experience.
View Quote
Makes me think of why German iron sights adjust backwards to normal. They assume they shot perfectly, but the target was in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 8:05:24 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Burris TMPR is made in China.

Steiner S series prismatics are US and Germany, I think.

Elcan is made in Canada

Hensoldt is made in Germany

Meopta has a prismatic 3x made in Czech.

Crimson Trace 3.5x Battlesight was made in Japan if I recall correctly.

Meprolight X4 is made in Israel (this one may have been discontinued).

Dedal 6x prismatic is made in Russia.

ILya
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Where are they made?

China. The ACOG, Browe, Sig Bravo4, and the Burris TMPR (Philippines, I believe) are the only prisms I can think of that are not made in China.

Burris TMPR is made in China.

Steiner S series prismatics are US and Germany, I think.

Elcan is made in Canada

Hensoldt is made in Germany

Meopta has a prismatic 3x made in Czech.

Crimson Trace 3.5x Battlesight was made in Japan if I recall correctly.

Meprolight X4 is made in Israel (this one may have been discontinued).

Dedal 6x prismatic is made in Russia.

ILya

The Burris TMPR is made in the Philippines
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 3/4/2021 8:32:29 AM EDT
[#30]
View Quote

I wish more reputable manufacturers would do blue reticules. It just works for me.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:39:03 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

The tmpr is an oddball system. I was looking for a simple, one stop solution in optics and came across it. I just despise all the extra bells and whistles. It seems like we are getting far away from spartan solutions with the tmpr. It's neat, but not for a shtf rifle. I was looking for a poor man's acog with a better eyebox. Sturdy, efficient, etched reticle, no necessary need for a rds, and not too heavy. So far i have tried a sightmark wolfhound, a Sig Bravo 5, and i'm now taking a hard look at the vortex 5x scope. I really like the bravo 5, but have not tried it on a range where i can simulate different close to mid-range scenarios. On the bench it is pretty slick. I really like the idea of prisms as a one stop solution for the low to mid-range. I really like the vortex reticle and i think the horseshoe will be nice for quick target pick-up.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 9:17:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pushing probably 15 years on the site! lol Glad to be here. Thanks guys - was great seeing you at the class here this last weekend.
View Quote

What mounts are these compatible with?
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 11:10:00 PM EDT
[#33]
Decided to go with 2X primary prism. Will look into these later.
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 10:49:17 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:42:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 11:29:05 PM EDT
[#36]
@vortexoptics

When will the 5x be shipping?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 11:04:28 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 5:15:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I back ordered a month or so ago from lapg. Was just wondering when they'd be shipping from vortex
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 6:25:14 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I back ordered a month or so ago from lapg. Was just wondering when they'd be shipping from vortex
View Quote

I just received mine today! I preordered on Optics Planet about a month ago.

Still waiting on a few parts to assemble the upper it's going on, but I'm pretty impressed.
Glass is quite clear and the eye box is definitely more forgiving than the lower end LPVO's I'm familiar with. Most impressed with the size and weight. It's between a T2 and CompM4 in dimensions and <2oz heavier than my Eotech EXPS2.
I wouldn't describe the illumination as daylight visible (you can barely see the arc at max brightness against a sunny backdrop). Planning on using in conjunction with a MRDS, so not required. It does well when transitioning to darker backgrounds.
Looking forward to getting it into action. Only negative I've found is the 'Made in China' sticker on it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2021 9:25:44 PM EDT
[#40]
It seems to be in stock everywhere now. I got mine from eurooptic and they ship it out incredibly fast. I'm just waiting on my vortex venom and my larue mount before I take it to the range.
Link Posted: 3/15/2021 8:09:23 PM EDT
[#41]
I agree with the 1 moa click gripe on the 5x. Oh well.
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 10:51:41 PM EDT
[#42]
I recently got the 5X and I love it, cut the weight in half of my previous 5X prism.

I was zeroing it tonight and I had a question.

The directions say to turn in the direction of the arrows.  I assumed right meant clockwise.  But I actually had to turn counter clockwise to move the POI to the right.

Am I thinking incorrectly?

Link Posted: 3/25/2021 11:54:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
I recently got the 5X and I love it, cut the weight in half of my previous 5X prism.

I was zeroing it tonight and I had a question.

The directions say to turn in the direction of the arrows.  I assumed right meant clockwise.  But I actually had to turn counter clockwise to move the POI to the right.

Am I thinking incorrectly?
View Quote

I would interpret that as counter-clockwise for right and counter-clockwise for up. They could have done a better job in the labeling though. I wish someone within 200 miles of me sold these so I could try one out.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 3:02:42 AM EDT
[#44]
Scopes are typically opposite of M16 irons. Counterclockwise is up and right.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#45]
Thanks guys, I guess I was looking at it the wrong way.

At any rate, I love this optic.  The eye relief isn’t as forgiving as my Primary Arms 5X which it replaced but the weight savings alone makes it well worth it.  I removed my BUIS and moved this all the way back.

I love the reticle.  The Primary Arms reticle was always a little busy for me, I prefer something simpler and this one was perfect for me.  I have astigmatism so red dots are not an option for me if I want something crisp.  I changed over to spitfire 1X’s on all my other rifles because I loved the simple DRT reticle and this one is a perfect complement for a longer range set up.  I’m going to get another one for one of my AK’s.  I really like the fact that the mount pattern is the same as an aim point, makes it easier when shopping for AK mounts.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:04:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 7:15:15 PM EDT
[#47]
I have the 5x and like it rather well. My only issue is that it seems to attract dust to the lenses REAL fast. But a quick wipe with a microfiber towel and all is good
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top