Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 9:04:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Don't move the goal posts.

1X > 1.5X on low end.
View Quote

He’s invested. There’s no backing down now.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:32:22 PM EDT
[#2]
You guys are so bent out of shape you're making shit up.

Quoted:
My point is while this optic would be better if it was 1X, it still offers features no one else has come even close to, especially for the price. Unlike people whining about that .5X, I've actually got out and timed myself with it. In a world where 99% of LPVO's in this price range aren't daylight bright, this is going to be faster even at 1.5X.
View Quote

Quoted:
No one wants to take my word for it, but it's not theory that 1.5X and red dot bright is faster than 1X without daylight bright illumination. Would 1X and daylight bright be faster? Yes, but you're going to have to spend more than this costs to get that.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:23:01 PM EDT
[#3]
FWIW olds442tyguy, I got nothing against ya. I believe I understand from where you're coming from, but this has snowballed and we need to shift the anger back to where it rightly belongs.

Leupold's new scopes are bad by today's standards and Leupold should feel bad.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:43:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
FWIW olds442tyguy, I got nothing against ya. I believe I understand from where you're coming from, but this has snowballed and we need to shift the anger back to where it rightly belongs.

Leupold's new scopes are bad by today's standards and Leupold should feel bad.

View Quote

Dilly dilly!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:01:33 AM EDT
[#5]
EUROOPTIC ready to ROCK!

Leupold Weight: 13.1 oz
Leupold Length: 9.5 inches
Daylight bright: yes

Seems if they had true 1x = WORLD DOMINATION!

I’ve actually come full circle back to the 1-8 NX8, but the weight and footprint on the Leupold has my attention. I am not a 7 yards and in room clearer - I like to aim small miss small at distance - otherwise just grab a T2 micro and be done with it. That’s why I think a SFP NF 1-6 or 8 would be great.

Imagine a Vortex Razor 1-6 with the NF NX8 weight and footprint, that’s what’s up. Leupold could do it. Why don’t they?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:30:54 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
EUROOPTIC ready to ROCK!

I’ve actually come full circle back to the 1-8 NX8, but the weight and footprint on the Leupold has my attention. I am not a 7 yards and in room clearer - I like to aim small miss small at distance - otherwise just grab a T2 micro and be done with it. That’s why I think a SFP NF 1-6 or 8 would be great.

Imagine a Vortex Razor 1-6 with the NF NX8 weight and footprint, that’s what’s up. Leupold could do it. Why don’t they?
View Quote

I honestly don't think they've been able to figure it out for the cost.

My VXF is actually a 24mm objective with some screw in cylinder that brings it down to 20mm. These appear to have it too, and I'd almost bet money it's a way to eliminate edge distortion without increasing cost. That says to me they're struggling to keep the cost down.

I'd probably buy this over a P4xi at $800 if it was 1X with no work arounds. Someone at Leupold is setting goals in stone though so here we are.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 3:43:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Meh, Leupold can do better then that. Until then...

Delta Stryker at $700 or PST Gen 2.

P4xi's can still be had around $500 used.

Also, the 1-6 SFP Credo seems to be daylight bright with the dot BDC according to the thread here? $700'ish as well.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 8:54:11 AM EDT
[#8]
They sure look like rebranded VX-R scopes. Same mag ranges, reticles, etc. hopefully they did more than upgrade the price tag.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
EUROOPTIC ready to ROCK!

View Quote

Well whatever we think doesn't matter I guess, they are all out of stock
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 12:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The VX-6 1-6x is one of the most underrated LPVOs in my opinion. Too bad they didn't just refine that line with nuclear bright daylight illumination and better reticle options.
View Quote

Holy cow that is some expensive glass.

Link Posted: 2/19/2021 9:58:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Meh, Leupold can do better then that. Until then...

Delta Stryker at $700 or PST Gen 2.

P4xi's can still be had around $500 used.

Also, the 1-6 SFP Credo seems to be daylight bright with the dot BDC according to the thread here? $700'ish as well.
View Quote

This is an incredibly underrated scope (although Ilya/DLO is high on it). I picked one up a few months ago. Great glass and super bright dot. For the price they’re hard to beat.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 10:43:08 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Imagine a Vortex Razor 1-6 with the NF NX8 weight and footprint, that’s what’s up.
View Quote

Agreed.  This would be amazing.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:15:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

This is an incredibly underrated scope (although Ilya/DLO is high on it). I picked one up a few months ago. Great glass and super bright dot. For the price they’re hard to beat.
View Quote

@theHULK9281

Excuse my ignorance, who or what is IIya/DLO?
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:20:57 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Imagine a Vortex Razor 1-6 with the NF NX8 weight and footprint, that’s what’s up.

Let’s turn this thread into a petition! Let’s go!
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

@theHULK9281

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@theHULK9281

Ilya Koshkin AKA Dark Lord of Optics.  He’s a member here and other places and he’s pretty well respected in the gun community for his scope reviews.

DLO Reviews: Delta Stryker HD 1-6x24 with DSMR reticle
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:33:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Awesome, thanks. I’ll check him out.
Link Posted: 2/19/2021 11:38:31 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote

I added a link to his review on the Delta Stryker.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:46:01 AM EDT
[#18]
Looks like midway has the 1.5-4 mk3 listed at $499. Seems a little more reasonable for what it is, but I’d still rather have the Steiner.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 12:16:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looks like midway has the 1.5-4 mk3 listed at $499. Seems a little more reasonable for what it is, but I’d still rather have the Steiner.
View Quote

That's pricing for the non illuminated model. I can live with 1.5X myself, but I don't even see the point of offering it without illumination.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 2:17:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Generally speaking, Leupold does "lightweight and durable" better than anyone.   I don't shoot off of a timer or in competition that penalizes multiple optics like variable/offset red dot combos.  And, I use optics on hunting rifles more than for tactical or long range shooting.  But, I may be more typical of most buyers of magnified optics for rifles.

Thus, light weight, good glass for the price, practical low light and moving target reticle, and daylight bright illumination are my primary considerations.  Leupold checks all the boxes.

Thus, I'm really attracted to their VX6-HD 2-12x42 with standard Firedot Duplex.  No, its not the subject of this thread, but even a scope with 2x on the bottom end can be lightening fast on moving game.  And, with an offset red dot, you have the benefit of both worlds.  Chances are that the combination of mini reflex and Leupold LPVO or mid-powered variable, including mounts, will weigh less than comparable 1-6x or 1-8x LPVOs and mounts.  I've shot running deer at darned near point-blank range at 2x (2-7x hunting scopes) for decades and found them not lacking.

Even so, Leupold can do better with reticle choices for tactical and long range use of more general purpose scopes.  What I don't understand about Leupold is that it has great illuminated and non-illuminated reticle choices (scores of them) available for most scopes through their custom shop.  Why they don't release some of these options in their standard catalog offerings to vendors is beyond me.  They would benefit from participating in forums like this, or at least passively follow us.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 7:12:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's pricing for the non illuminated model. I can live with 1.5X myself, but I don't even see the point of offering it without illumination.
View Quote

Oh. I missed that. That’s awful.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 8:19:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Looks like the vx/freedom/ar/whatever product rebranded but without the illumination button everyone complained about

It seems the one strong, and consistent, selling point Leupold always has going for it is a low weight LPVO. Everything else is becoming a compromise

I wish they would just make this thing a 1-4, thick ass reticles aside, with the firedot brightness would make a nice low power lightweight option.
View Quote
I hope so, the VX-R Scout Firedot has become something of the grail scope for shooters that want longer (at least 6 inch) eye relief.

It would be nice to see that pop up again for the top end of that niche, they are impossible to find now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2021 10:35:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Great review. You feel like you’re behind the glass. He needs show the reticle in mid-day sun to demonstrate daylight bright.
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 10:36:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Great review. You feel like you’re behind the glass. He needs show the reticle in mid-day sun to demonstrate daylight bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agreed, he always does a great job. I was looking at grabbing a Mk6, but since they're no longer being made, I think I'll be trying to snatch one of these. Only cons I see are the oversight of the mil stadia/ moa turret combo and they're currently only on pre order right now
Link Posted: 2/21/2021 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I really think Leupold is trying to piss off its consumers.
View Quote

They have. Me!

They had a 1-6 with german #4 and really wanted it till I saw it was discontinued.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 1:46:25 AM EDT
[#26]
I believe Leupold needs to cleanly separate their optics into hunting, tactical and precision lines. It seems like they are hunters try to squeeze into the other categories but never offering much selection or the complete set of features for the other market.

And the absolutely need to move their Freedom and VX lines past 3X variables while staying under $1,000.

As someone else said, a lightweight 2-8x or -10x is fantastic for hunting. As is a 1.5-6x for closer in hunting. But for tactical you want that true 1X to at least 4X on the Freedom end and 1-6X on the VX side. Under $1,000. Illuminated with a few reticles that emulate popular red dots on 1X and mildot on the high setting.  Maybe even just make a hi/low short throw scope with just two power settings?

The 1X and 2x variables don’t need parallax correction but on the tactical and precision higher mag scopes that should be standard. And how about a dedicated .22LR 2-10x and 4-24x with parallax adj?

You got the hunters covered. Set up dedicated designers for tactical and precision. Look at what Vortex is doing and Delta and Swampfox and the Europeans. Learn from them and optimize a US made design. Please.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 2:11:48 AM EDT
[#27]
for the longest time Leopold continues to make 30mm tube LPVO with 1" optics in them. hard pass. most other 30mm tube LPVO have 24mm objectives in them while Leopold continues to sell 20mm.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 3:23:08 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I believe Leupold needs to cleanly separate their optics into hunting, tactical and precision lines. It seems like they are hunters try to squeeze into the other categories but never offering much selection or the complete set of features for the other market.

And the absolutely need to move their Freedom and VX lines past 3X variables while staying under $1,000.

As someone else said, a lightweight 2-8x or -10x is fantastic for hunting. As is a 1.5-6x for closer in hunting. But for tactical you want that true 1X to at least 4X on the Freedom end and 1-6X on the VX side. Under $1,000. Illuminated with a few reticles that emulate popular red dots on 1X and mildot on the high setting.  Maybe even just make a hi/low short throw scope with just two power settings?

The 1X and 2x variables don’t need parallax correction but on the tactical and precision higher mag scopes that should be standard. And how about a dedicated .22LR 2-10x and 4-24x with parallax adj?

You got the hunters covered. Set up dedicated designers for tactical and precision. Look at what Vortex is doing and Delta and Swampfox and the Europeans. Learn from them and optimize a US made design. Please.
View Quote

Agreed, it makes you wonder who is making the decisions at Leupold? It’s like you said, some fudd is trying to design their tactical scopes. I left them behind years ago and haven’t looked back. My serious rifles have G2 Razors or ACOGs on them, the play rifles have PSTs. They are in my opinion the Harley Davidson of scopes, kinda stuck in the past but they have the might and money to do better but for some odd reason they don’t.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Pretty sure anyone good at Leupold left and went to Sig
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:13:35 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
for the longest time Leopold continues to make 30mm tube LPVO with 1" optics in them. hard pass. most other 30mm tube LPVO have 24mm objectives in them while Leopold continues to sell 20mm.
View Quote

Most (but not all) actually are 24mm. Leupold puts in a screw in cylinder in the objective that brings them down to 20mm. This is likely a cheap way to eliminate edge distortion, plus it makes threading cheaper and easier.

For the sake of honesty, I've shot a 20mm Leupold side by side with various other 24mm LPVO's and have never been able to tell the difference in the 4mm, nor that the insert was there. It's kind of laughable how well it works for such an archaic solution.

Link Posted: 2/22/2021 11:51:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Agree, but I can assure you it’s nuclear bright. When the sun finally comes back out in western PA I’ll take mine out and post a picture.
Link Posted: 2/22/2021 5:15:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Pretty sure anyone good at Leupold left and went to Sig
View Quote

This is true, but Sig's optic line is a basket case in their 2021 catalog. Tango6 non-LPVO line? 5-30 with a DEV-L... all you get to do is choose MOA or MRAD, lol.

I am hoping that this means we're finally going to see the Tango4 and Tango6 get bumped to 5x and 8x ratios soon, but I suppose it could also mean Sig has decided LPVOs and the sub-$1k price points are really the only things worth messing with...
Link Posted: 2/24/2021 1:28:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Will be very interesting to see how these perform. At dealer cost, the price reasonable enough that I might consider trying it out.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 6:26:11 PM EDT
[#34]
The 3-9 looks interesting to me. Sub 16oz illuminated and their HD glass is reportedly pretty good.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top