Quoted:
Mark 5 LPVO appears to be on the way.

ILya
View Quote

Low end needs to be 1.0 and not 1.5
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 3:43:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
The Mark 6 1-6 has been discontinued but nothing new to replace it’s quite disappointing
View Quote

What really sucks is that I was about to buy one. I'm still waiting to see them announce some sort of replacement, but nothing yet. Guess I'll get a Trijicon 1-8 "Credo" or whatever they're calling the AccuPower now.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What really sucks is that I was about to buy one. I'm still waiting to see them announce some sort of replacement, but nothing yet. Guess I'll get a Trijicon 1-8 "Credo" or whatever they're calling the AccuPower now.
View Quote

I went from the Trijicon 1-4 to the Leupold 1.5-4. The Trijicon was an absolute joke in comparison.

No one wants to take my word for it, but it's not theory that 1.5X and red dot bright is faster than 1X without daylight bright illumination. Would 1X and daylight bright be faster? Yes, but you're going to have to spend more than this costs to get that.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 11:44:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I went from the Trijicon 1-4 to the Leupold 1.5-4. The Trijicon was an absolute joke in comparison.

No one wants to take my word for it, but it's not theory that 1.5X and red dot bright is faster than 1X without daylight bright illumination. Would 1X and daylight bright be faster? Yes, but you're going to have to spend more than this costs to get that.
View Quote

In 2020 why should you be forced to compromise on either account?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

In 2020 why should you be forced to compromise on either account?
View Quote

Please, list the plethora of sub $700 daylight bright LPVO's.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 1:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Girlfriend's PST Gen 2 1-6x falls in that category, I'm really impressed with that optic.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote

Burris XTRii 1-5x
Vortex PSTii 1-6x

Both are nuclear bright
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 2:54:37 PM EDT
[#8]
The Burris is discontinued, so the PST is the only other option so far.

The PST weighs almost a full 10 ounces more. It doesn't have HD glass. It's a great optic that I'm surprised isn't more popular, but that weight.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:01:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The PST weighs almost a full 10 ounces more. It doesn't have HD glass. It's a great optic that I'm surprised isn't more popular, but that weight.
View Quote
What do you mean more popular? They are generally one of the options given for people looking for something near Razor performance but not quite as expensive
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:06:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Leupold's ability to continually survive despite offering the worst reticles in the industry is truly astonishing. And then to cram that shit into a 1.5-4...come on man, is Hunter Biden an optics rep now?
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 4:36:04 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on intended use, true 1x and daylight bright is more important to many people over weight and HD glass, as we clearly see in this thread.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 5:05:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Depending on intended use, true 1x and daylight bright is more important to many people over weight and HD glass, as we clearly see in this thread.
View Quote

Also as clearly seen in this thread, there are people who do care about weight, and if HD glass didn't matter, the Razor HD wouldn't be as popular as it is.

The P4xi was one of the most popular options because it didn't weigh a ton, like the PST. The p4xi was a great optic until Steiner started pushing towards Razor prices for it.

My point is while this optic would be better if it was 1X, it still offers features no one else has come even close to, especially for the price. Unlike people whining about that .5X, I've actually got out and timed myself with it. In a world where 99% of LPVO's in this price range aren't daylight bright, this is going to be faster even at 1.5X.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 6:54:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Also as clearly seen in this thread, there are people who do care about weight, and if HD glass didn't matter, the Razor HD wouldn't be as popular as it is.

The P4xi was one of the most popular options because it didn't weigh a ton, like the PST. The p4xi was a great optic until Steiner started pushing towards Razor prices for it.

My point is while this optic would be better if it was 1X, it still offers features no one else has come even close to, especially for the price. Unlike people whining about that .5X, I've actually got out and timed myself with it. In a world where 99% of LPVO's in this price range aren't daylight bright, this is going to be faster even at 1.5X.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That may be true for some. But, everyone's level of eye dominance is different. Those of us whose dominant eye is barely stronger than the non-dominant eye have trouble shooting both eyes open at 1.5x.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Unlike people whining about that .5X, I've actually got out and timed myself with it. In a world where 99% of LPVO's in this price range aren't daylight bright, this is going to be faster even at 1.5X.
View Quote

You keep posting this as if no one's ever done that 10 friggin years ago... and before this gets taken the wrong way, I am genuinely happy that it works for you.
But It's simply not true for everyone.
It wasn't true for me then, and it isn't now either. I can make it work, just like I can make 2x and 3x work as well with nuclear bright reticles, BAC or Occluded shooting, but I am NOT and NEVER have been as fast as 1x with a good reticle that's daylight bright.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You keep posting this as if no one's ever done that 10 friggin years ago... and before this gets taken the wrong way, I am genuinely happy that it works for you.
It wasn't true for me then, and it isn't now either. I can make it work, just like I can make 2x and 3x work as well with nuclear bright reticles, BAC or Occluded shooting, but I am NOT and NEVER have been as fast as 1x with a good reticle that's daylight bright.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unlike people whining about that .5X, I've actually got out and timed myself with it. In a world where 99% of LPVO's in this price range aren't daylight bright, this is going to be faster even at 1.5X.

I agree true 1X is key.  

I have the original Razor 1-6.  I could care less about the weight.  I want a good eye box, true 1X, and a reticle I can use at 1X without batteries if necessary.  I never use illumination unless I am in low light.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 7:39:42 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

Okay, then buy a P4xi or PST.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:06:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Looks like the vx/freedom/ar/whatever product rebranded but without the illumination button everyone complained about

It seems the one strong, and consistent, selling point Leupold always has going for it is a low weight LPVO. Everything else is becoming a compromise

I wish they would just make this thing a 1-4, thick ass reticles aside, with the firedot brightness would make a nice low power lightweight option.
Link Posted: 2/5/2021 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Okay, then buy a P4xi or PST.
View Quote

Ironically enough, I just bought the last weaver 1-5x from SWFA.

Edit to add:

Take note of that Leupold, I just bought a 9 year old LPVO that's been discontinued for over a year from a company that no longer even makes optics instead of your brand new LPVO.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:18:23 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Just off the top of my head?

PST Gen 2
Steiner P4Xi
Burris XTR II
Leupolds own VX-R Patrol.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:24:01 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

If given the choice between deficient designs, I guess I’d choose one that isn’t a true 1X over one that isn’t daylight bright.

But again... it’s 2020 and I’m not forced to make that choice, sooooooo.....
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:33:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

PST Gen 2
Steiner P4Xi
Burris XTR II
View Quote
The Steiners are running $800 these days.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:47:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
1.5x? lol

Right up there with their "new" 30mm red dot with specs from 15 years ago
View Quote

I looked at one the other month at the lgs.

Couldn't believe that they put that garbage on the market with their name on it.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:00:04 AM EDT
[#23]
Why does it seem like Leupold thinks its 2006?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:12:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because people will makes excuses for them because... hey, Leupold... or something.

IDK, people will keep buying it no matter how bad of a product it is.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:51:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Because people will makes excuses for them because... hey, Leupold... or something.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm reminded of something I constantly tell my son.
Tools were created to make your life easier. They work for you, not the other way 'round.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:06:47 AM EDT
[#26]
The important thing for you all to understand is that nobody is going to be running around clearing rooms and killing bad guys with an AR at 20’ and under. It’s just not going to happen. Really??? Besides, if that’s what you’re worried about, buy an Aimpoint and be done with it!!!

For those of us who have grown up killing shit - shit that’s running, hiding, moving etc. - light weight and good glass with a reticle that allows me to put the bullet EXACTLY where I want it, is quite important. I’m not talking about “hits” on giant pieces of steel that are are squared up to you and painted white!!!

That’s why a SFP LPVO on a carbine or SBR makes sense for field applications - which is the more likely scenario. I’m so tired of the FFP LPVO wackos - “I need to be able to range at 1, 2, 3 and 4 power!” L - O - fucking - L. Get the fuck out of here.

Give me an NX8 1-8 or 1-6 in THE SECOND FOCAL PLANE - and I will lay waste to all that lives - forever and ever, amen.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:21:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
The important thing for you all to understand is that nobody is going to be running around clearing rooms and killing bad guys with an AR at 20’ and under. It’s just not going to happen. Really??? Besides, if that’s what you’re worried about, buy an Aimpoint and be done with it!!!

For those of us who have grown up killing shit - shit that’s running, hiding, moving etc. - light weight and good glass with a reticle that allows me to put the bullet EXACTLY where I want it, is quite important. I’m not talking about “hits” on giant pieces of steel that are are squared up to you and painted white!!!

That’s why a SFP LPVO on a carbine or SBR makes sense for field applications - which is the more likely scenario. I’m so tired of the FFP LPVO wackos - “I need to be able to range at 1, 2, 3 and 4 power!” L - O - fucking - L. Get the fuck out of here.

Give me an NX8 1-8 or 1-6 in THE SECOND FOCAL PLANE - and I will lay waste to all that lives - forever and ever, amen.
View Quote

While I understand what you're posting, I'm trying to figure out who you're posting it for in this thread. I don't remember anyone complaining about 2nd focal plane for the LPVO. I'm pretty sure everyone wants light weight, good glass and a good reticle.

The problems are the lack of 1x on the low end of their LPVO and arguing over daylight bright illumination (which is of far more importance on FFP).
I am the only one that had a problem with their 4/6/8 - whatever powers being SFP to my knowledge.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 10:34:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

Try the decaf, Killah.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

PST Gen 2
Steiner P4Xi
Burris XTR II
View Quote

P4xi is $800 now.
Burris is discontinued.
VXR Patrol is discontinued.

You keep saying it's 2020 so you don't have to compromise, but we actually have less options now than we did 2 years ago. Makes absolutely no sense why the market has less options.

And it's 2021 by the way.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:25:22 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

P4xi is $800 now.
Burris is discontinued.
VXR Patrol is discontinued.

You keep saying it's 2020 so you don't have to compromise, but we actually have less options now than we did 2 years ago. Makes absolutely no sense why the market has less options.

And it's 2021 by the way.
View Quote

So by all means, let’s go out of out way to spend money on an optic which had outdated features ten years ago.

Ok.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

So by all means, let’s go out of out way to spend money on an optic which had outdated features ten years ago.

Ok.
View Quote

What's outdated about it? Debatable to the 1.5X, but what else? From where I'm sitting the reticle, the weight, the glass, the quick throw lever, the illumination, etc, I'd say it has a pretty decent feature set otherwise.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

What's outdated about it? Debatable to the 1.5X, but what else? From where I'm sitting the reticle, the weight, the glass, the quick throw lever, the illumination, etc, I'd say it has a pretty decent feature set otherwise.
View Quote

You named the one. If that’s fine with you, great... But I don’t see why you’re trying to convince everyone else.

It’s probably going to be a flop just like the Micro DPP and that goofy D-EVO thing that nobody bought.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:02:56 PM EDT
[#33]
No one should have to settle for 1.5x

I can’t even believe someone could attempt to make the argument for 1.5x

What next?  Dial up modems?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 12:30:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
No one should have to settle for 1.5x

I can’t even believe someone could attempt to make the argument for 1.5x

What next?  Dial up modems?
View Quote

Look man... I used dial up and I could access my AOL account just as easily as my Prodigy account.

Therefore 1.5x is fine.

Checkmate!!
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 1:00:14 PM EDT
[#35]
I stand corrected.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:34:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

You named the one. If that’s fine with you, great... But I don’t see why you’re trying to convince everyone else.

It’s probably going to be a flop just like the Micro DPP and that goofy D-EVO thing that nobody bought.
View Quote

More than anything I'd say I'm responding to your emotional conviction that 1.5X can't work up close. My experience differs, no matter how many people stamp their feet and try to talk down on me for it. (How about the 1.5X ACOG guys).
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:35:27 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

1.5-4x LPVOs work great on low power for CQB... yes, we get it... you've said it 87 times already.  Nobody's claiming they don't or 1.5x TA44s ACOGs wouldn't sell on the EE for $700+ all day long.

But LPVOs with true 1x bottom end WORK BETTER.  Period.  Leupold makes AWESOME lightweight 1-6x LPVOs with true 1X.  The VX6 was a phenomenal mid-priced lightweight daylight bright LPVO.  So you can like 1.5X all you want, but the fact remains that Leupold HAS the secret sauce to make true 1X tough lightweight clear LPVOs and they use it on their 1-6X lineups.  So why are they backtracking and releasing 1.5x LPVOs again?  It's a step backwards. You are literally arguing for LESS at this point; if Leupold was smart and put a $600 1-4x in your hands, you could set it at 1.5x all day long like some troglodyte while the rest of us normies could dial it down to 1X as God intended.  Everyone would be happy.  As it stands now, their goals would appear to be to corner the premium 1.5X LPVO market ().

There's no earthly reason Leupold should be introducing a 1.5x LPVO in 2021.  That's f'ing embarrassing, especially after recently discontinuing one of the best affordable lightweight 1-6x LPVOs on the market.  That would be like Chevy releasing the 2022 Corvette with a 4-speed Hydromatic transmission.

And all this is coming from someone who LOVES his 1.5-4x VX-R...  it has awesome value at the <$450 you could get them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

More than anything I'd say I'm responding to your emotional conviction that 1.5X can't work up close. My experience differs, no matter how many people stamp their feet and try to talk down on me for it. (How about the 1.5X ACOG guys).
View Quote

I’m not saying it doesn’t work... Hell, I’m a fairly serious advocate for the TA-44.

I’m saying that I shouldn’t be forced to make it work. I’ll make the exception for the TA-44 due to other factors, but there’s no reason for me to screw with it on a modern LPVO.

This reminds me of SwampFox thread from last year where the dude was saying that daylight visible illumination is some kind of “exotic” technology.

It’s not. Other companies have made this happen. There’s really no reason why this should be difficult for Leupold to do.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 2:49:06 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

1.5-4x LPVOs work great on low power for CQB... yes, we get it... you've said it 87 times already.  Nobody's claiming they don't or 1.5x TA44s ACOGs wouldn't sell on the EE for $700+ all day long.

But LPVOs with true 1x bottom end WORK BETTER.  Period.  Leupold makes AWESOME lightweight 1-6x LPVOs with true 1X.  The VX6 was a phenomenal mid-priced lightweight daylight bright LPVO.  So you can like 1.5X all you want, but the fact remains that Leupold HAS the secret sauce to make true 1X tough lightweight clear LPVOs and they use it on their 1-6X lineups.  So why are they backtracking and releasing 1.5x LPVOs again?  It's a step backwards. You are literally arguing for LESS at this point; if Leupold was smart and put a $600 1-4x in your hands, you could set it at 1.5x all day long like some troglodyte while the rest of us normies could dial it down to 1X as God intended.  Everyone would be happy.  As it stands now, their goals would appear to be to corner the premium 1.5X LPVO market ().

There's no earthly reason Leupold should be introducing a 1.5x LPVO in 2021.  That's f'ing embarrassing, especially after recently discontinuing one of the best affordable lightweight 1-6x LPVOs on the market.  That would be like Chevy releasing the 2022 Corvette with a 4-speed Hydromatic transmission.

And all this is coming from someone who LOVES his 1.5-4x VX-R...  it has awesome value at the <$450 you could get them.
View Quote

I actually really like the VX-R even despite the 1.25x low end. What killed it was the fact they refused to have a decent reticle as an option.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:16:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Actually, multiple people claimed they don't work. I just said a 1.5X with daylight brightness is going to be faster than 1X without daylight brightness and people took it as fighting words.

It's neither here nor there at this point. My honest guess as to why Leupold uses 1.5X instead of 1X is cost. There's really no other logical reason.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:32:32 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Actually, multiple people claimed they don't work. I just said a 1.5X with daylight brightness is going to be faster than 1X without daylight brightness and people took it as fighting words.

It's neither here nor there at this point. My honest guess as to why Leupold uses 1.5X instead of 1X is cost. There's really no other logical reason.
View Quote

I’ve seen exactly zero people in this thread say this.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

I've really upset you enough that we're doing call outs like this?

Quoted:
That may be true for some. But, everyone's level of eye dominance is different. Those of us whose dominant eye is barely stronger than the non-dominant eye have trouble shooting both eyes open at 1.5x.

Quoted:

I agree true 1X is key.  

I have the original Razor 1-6.  I could care less about the weight.  I want a good eye box, true 1X, and a reticle I can use at 1X without batteries if necessary.  I never use illumination unless I am in low light.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 3:44:28 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I've really upset you enough that we're doing call outs like this?

View Quote

Neither of these people are saying it won’t work... they’re saying the same thing others including myself are saying: They either don’t like it or it doesn’t work as well as a true 1X.

The former is subjective. The later is objectively true.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Neither of these people are saying it won’t work... they’re saying the same thing others including myself are saying: They either don’t like it or it doesn’t work as well as a true 1X.

The former is subjective. The later is objectively true.
View Quote

Nice stretch of semantics there. You're really knocking that angry housewife approach out of the park.

Smoke a joint or something. It's not that deep.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:21:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Nice stretch of semantics there. You're really knocking that angry housewife approach out of the park.

Smoke a joint or something. It's not that deep.
View Quote

You’re very invested in this thing.

To a surprising degree.

What’s the deal?
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:44:22 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

You’re very invested in this thing.

To a surprising degree.

What’s the deal?
View Quote

You're really doing the flip back?

This is me at an internal Leupold meeting where we're discussing shilling 1.5X optics on internet gun forums.

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:and not true 1X is easily negated by a red dot bright reticle.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/6/2021 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#48]
Olds, give it a rest.  Admit you are wrong and go away.  You aren’t convincing anyone.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:04:25 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Olds, give it a rest.  Admit you are wrong and go away.  You aren’t convincing anyone.
View Quote

Wrong about what? Are you saying that 1X without daylight bright illumination will be faster than 1.5X with daylight bright illumination?

Otherwise, tell me what point I'm wrong about.
Link Posted: 2/6/2021 8:58:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Wrong about what? Are you saying that 1X without daylight bright illumination will be faster than 1.5X with daylight bright illumination?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Don't move the goal posts.

1X > 1.5X on low end.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top