BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 9:57:56 PM EDT
[#1]
I like the RT6 for under $400.  The Steiner is an under $600 optic.
You can find a RT6 for $285-295.  Not made in China.
The P4xi gets under $500 very occasionally since the last price increase.

The RT6 is the optic to beat in its price range.  The Steiner price increase back a year or two ago made the Steiner leas of a bargain.  Clear glass, but more competition at the higher price.
Link Posted: 12/12/2019 11:00:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
IDK, I threw a 1-8 strike eagle I got on sale, put like 20-30 rounds on it to zero and find a load the gun liked, and then went straight to a match and had no issues?

Cheap, had a lot of desirable features, got the job done and netted me some pretty OK stuff at the prize table?
View Quote
I don't recall saying they don't function.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 8:55:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Finally a couple of good responses, thanks.

Finally got to my actual desk to look at some of the suggestions other than on a phone.

I guess one of my main reasons for wanting to switch from an optic that is doing the job (quickly shooting quickly from 0-300m) is reticle.  I'd like to switch to something with less clutter. Most of these scopes from, $200-$1500, consist of a circle or cross-hair with a bunch of little dots and hash marks around it.  Yes I know they all mean something but I'm not gonna use them.  The less shit I have to think about the faster I shoot. My favorite reticle ever was the EOTech 512.

I really like prisms, and I love PA for starting to make decent prisms at a lower price point.  But the 2.5 loses half of the sight picture because of the DBAL in front of it. IF they made a 3x with a chevron it would be a done deal.  It doesn't seem to be a (as much of) problem with LPVOs, and everyone is going to LPVO so I think it might be something to try.  The chevron on the KISS Primary arms is what steers me to it.  I know that glass clarity is the big difference between price point here, in the past it was reliability and durability, but that doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I like the RT6 for under $400.  The Steiner is an under $600 optic.
You can find a RT6 for $285-295.  Not made in China.
The P4xi gets under $500 very occasionally since the last price increase.

The RT6 is the optic to beat in its price range.  The Steiner price increase back a year or two ago made the Steiner leas of a bargain.  Clear glass, but more competition at the higher price.
View Quote
Burris comes up a lot - what's the diff between all their $500 or less offerings? According to the "Master List"

LVPO Master List

There is the Fullfield, MTAC, RT-6, and XTR II

Thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 12:00:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Burris comes up a lot - what's the diff between all their $500 or less offerings? According to the "Master List"

LVPO Master List

Thanks!
View Quote
Not sure about the Fullfield but all of the other ones you mention are made in Philippines.

Mtacs- are older designs and were popular in 3 gun in 1-4x before 1-6x was really big. They mostly utilized a big circle reticle with little dots on the inside of the circle with holdovers out to 600 yards I think. They recently added a horseshoe reticle with stadia holdovers.
RT6- the newest of the ones you mentioned. It's designed to be a budget optic and for the price point the glass is said to be great. I believe it was meant to compete with the PA 1-6, and Vortex Strike  Eagle. And other Chinese optics around that price point.
XTR II- this is a pretty big upgrade over the other two. Daylight bright reticle, highly regarded and great phillipines glass. Heavier at 21.5 oz this used to be their primo LPVO until they came out with the XTR III 1-8s. Since they are kind of an outdated optic, lots of places have been discounting them for $400-500 instead of the $750 they originally sold for. Great value at the price. I would say the Xtr II is the duty grade option of the ones listed.

FWIW I dont have actual user experience with any of them just have shopped for LPVOs and have watched/read reviews on all that I mentioned.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Not sure about the Fullfield but all of the other ones you mention are made in Philippines.

Mtacs- are older designs and were popular in 3 gun in 1-4x before 1-6x was really big. They mostly utilized a big circle reticle with little dots on the inside of the circle with holdovers out to 600 yards I think. They recently added a horseshoe reticle with stadia holdovers.
RT6- the newest of the ones you mentioned. It's designed to be a budget optic and for the price point the glass is said to be great. I believe it was meant to compete with the PA 1-6, and Vortex Strike  Eagle. And other Chinese optics around that price point.
XTR II- this is a pretty big upgrade over the other two. Daylight bright reticle, highly regarded and great phillipines glass. Heavier at 21.5 oz this used to be their primo LPVO until they came out with the XTR III 1-8s. Since they are kind of an outdated optic, lots of places have been discounting them for $400-500 instead of the $750 they originally sold for. Great value at the price. I would say the Xtr II is the duty grade option of the ones listed.

FWIW I dont have actual user experience with any of them just have shopped for LPVOs and have watched/read reviews on all that I mentioned.
View Quote
Good info, thanks!
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 3:39:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I was really impressed with the RT-6 on release, you get a lot of bang for your buck there. I recently picked up a tomahawk 1-8 and for the additional $50 you spend I think you get a lot more capability and glass that is comparable. Definitely another great value option under $400 and would be my suggestion for you. The steiner is also excellent but less mag and perhaps slightly out of your range.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 9:16:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

LVPO Master List

Thanks!
View Quote
The XTR II line is Japanse glass with assembly in Philippines or Japan depending on the model.
3 months ago you had a selection of clearance XTR II in the $450+ range. Now the selection is poor mostly less desirable combinations.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:37:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'm looking to replace my PA 2.5 prism. Right now the major contender is the KISS reticle 1-6 by PA. I really like anything I have seen by them.

This is on a 14.5 AR

Anything else I should be thinking about?
View Quote
Brown bag your lunch for a month and get a Steiner P4Xi.

Glass quality trumps magnification.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:44:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
IDK, I threw a 1-8 strike eagle I got on sale, put like 20-30 rounds on it to zero and find a load the gun liked, and then went straight to a match and had no issues?

Cheap, had a lot of desirable features, got the job done and netted me some pretty OK stuff at the prize table?
View Quote
Can you win a match with it?

Maybe... sure, I guess.

Is the glass quality shit with a dark image?

Absolutely.
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 10:47:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Burris xtr ii is in the price range as well and has daylight visible illumination.
View Quote
This is also a great option.

At the original price of like $800-ish, not very competitive.

Where they are now at or below $500 street price and it's a great deal.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 2:03:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This and it’s not even close, especially if comparing to the aforementioned PA optic.
View Quote
Actually Id give the burris RT-6 the nod over the steiner due to price and otherwise similar glass IMO and I have both... and the PA raptor acss, Vortex strike eagle, and the swampfox lvpo 1-6x. Curious to try the new swampfox 1-10 offering.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:07:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

The XTR II line is Japanse glass with assembly in Philippines or Japan depending on the model.
3 months ago you had a selection of clearance XTR II in the $450+ range. Now the selection is poor mostly less desirable combinations.
View Quote
Thanks mate!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:38:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This deserves repeating.

That extra 2 or even 4X isn't going to mean much when it looks like an oil painting in comparison. I really wasn't joking when I said my 1-4X Accupower felt more magnified than my old PA 1-6X.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 12:50:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
This deserves repeating.

That extra 2 or even 4X isn't going to mean much when it looks like an oil painting in comparison. I really wasn't joking when I said my 1-4X Accupower felt more magnified than my old PA 1-6X.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This deserves repeating.

Which LPVOs, in your view, have that oil painting look?

BTW, I have a Trijicon 1-4x Accupower.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 1:20:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Which LPVOs, in your view, have that oil painting look?

BTW, I have a Trijicon 1-4x Accupower.
View Quote
I've owned the PA 1-6, and shot with the Strike Eagle and some model of an Atibal. They start getting distorted at 100 to 200 yards where the Accupower, Accupoint, and P4xi I've used in the same circumstances are still perfectly clear at those ranges and beyond.

I will say my PA 3X and 5x prism optics were considerably clearer than their LPVO, though. I'd still give a clear edge to the better LPVO's over them. I don't see myself buying any budget magnified optic again. The $400-$600 LPVO options right now are just too good to validate saving $100-$200 on.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 5:17:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Actually Id give the burris RT-6 the nod over the steiner due to price and otherwise similar glass IMO and I have both... and the PA raptor acss, Vortex strike eagle, and the swampfox lvpo 1-6x. Curious to try the new swampfox 1-10 offering.
View Quote
The glass is pretty close considering the $200+ price difference.
Link Posted: 12/15/2019 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Got to look through a Vortex today, I thought it was quite nice.

I didn't really mind the "circle with a lot of shot around it" reticule, but I only looked though it at 35 yards
Link Posted: 12/26/2019 2:25:55 PM EDT
[#19]
This guy does awesome scope reviews

Primary Arms 1-6X24mm K.I.S.S. First Person POV - C_Does
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 10:33:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

We are hoping to launch tomorrow.

@theHULK9281 the factory we own is in Shanghai, but owned and run by Americans.

However, one of the main things we intend to do in the next three years is absolutely tip the entire "China glass is shit, Asia Optical glass from Manila is better, Japan glass from Light Optical Works is best" conventional wisdom. That's what everyone thinks and with most of the products available right now it's generally true. But times are changing, fast. And I've learned a lot more than I will ever be able to say publicly about where parts are really sourced from.

Also, there's a whole different conversation to be had about quality of glass vs. ease of use. I have a personal theory that most American shooters don't really know how to judge glass quality. What they judge is target resolution and how easy it is for them to take an accurate shot.

If you look through a Hensoldt Z-24 scope from 40 years ago, they have amazing glass quality in them, it's German glass, German manufacture. They are still an $800 scope when you can find them. But if you've ever tried to run drills with one of these things, they have a 6 degree field of view and a 6mm exit pupil. They are awful. It's like trying to look through a drinking straw, they are terribly slow and picky and you'll be fighting to get a correct sight picture the whole time. You pretty much have to be shooting from a supported position like the bench or prone to have any success with them at all.

If you ran that scope on the same rifle in back to back drills vs. even a Strike Eagle, the Strike Eagle would whip it's ass. You get the flexibility of a LPVO, you get an illuminated reticle, you get a wider field of view, you can shoot fast with both eyes open up close and yet be more precise at a distance. A Strike Eagle is, in terms of ease of use, a far superior optic to the 4x Hensoldt. Nobody who looks through both optics is going to say "yeah but the Z-24 has 17% less chromatic aberration." They are going to want the one that helps them get rounds on target faster and more accurately.

Our glass is good, but it isn't the best. If you really want that 17% less chromatic aberration, get the Nightforce ATACR, it's great, I highly recommend it. What makes Arrowhead a step up is the the optical engineering, the mathematics of the shape of the lenses and how they are positioned relative to each other, is absolutely state of the art. Whether the guy who flipped the glass polishing machinery to "ON" in the morning spoke Japanese or Chinese doesn't matter nearly as much as it did five years ago, in my opinion.
View Quote
Translation:  it’s Chinese.  No offense, Mike.  It might possibly be good Chinese, but it’s still Chinese.
Link Posted: 12/29/2019 11:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Translation:  it’s Chinese.  No offense, Mike.  It might possibly be good Chinese, but it’s still Chinese.
View Quote
No offense taken. It's not like I decided where the factory was located. None of the US made scope manufacturers were hiring guys like me, because there aren't any.

Virtue signaling between the country with a technocratic totalitarian government flying a commie flag (China), the country with the government squeezed between drug cartels and Islamic insurgency (Philippines) and the country whose government enforces a fanatical, total ban on any kind of firearms at all (Japan) isn't my game anyway. I'm just trying to make a living and build the kinds of scopes that I would want to put on my own guns. If other guys want to spend $1500 to fly a Japanese flag on their gun instead, I'm cool with it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 12:56:04 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

However, one of the main things we intend to do in the next three years is absolutely tip the entire "China glass is shit, Asia Optical glass from Manila is better, Japan glass from Light Optical Works is best" conventional wisdom. That's what everyone thinks and with most of the products available right now it's generally true. But times are changing, fast. And I've learned a lot more than I will ever be able to say publicly about where parts are really sourced from.

Also, there's a whole different conversation to be had about quality of glass vs. ease of use. I have a personal theory that most American shooters don't really know how to judge glass quality. What they judge is target resolution and how easy it is for them to take an accurate shot.

If you look through a Hensoldt Z-24 scope from 40 years ago, they have amazing glass quality in them, it's German glass, German manufacture. They are still an $800 scope when you can find them. But if you've ever tried to run drills with one of these things, they have a 6 degree field of view and a 6mm exit pupil. They are awful. It's like trying to look through a drinking straw, they are terribly slow and picky and you'll be fighting to get a correct sight picture the whole time. You pretty much have to be shooting from a supported position like the bench or prone to have any success with them at all.

If you ran that scope on the same rifle in back to back drills vs. even a Strike Eagle, the Strike Eagle would whip it's ass. You get the flexibility of a LPVO, you get an illuminated reticle, you get a wider field of view, you can shoot fast with both eyes open up close and yet be more precise at a distance. A Strike Eagle is, in terms of ease of use, a far superior optic to the 4x Hensoldt. Nobody who looks through both optics is going to say "yeah but the Z-24 has 17% less chromatic aberration." They are going to want the one that helps them get rounds on target faster and more accurately.

Our glass is good, but it isn't the best. If you really want that 17% less chromatic aberration, get the Nightforce ATACR, it's great, I highly recommend it. What makes Arrowhead a step up is the the optical engineering, the mathematics of the shape of the lenses and how they are positioned relative to each other, is absolutely state of the art. Whether the guy who flipped the glass polishing machinery to "ON" in the morning spoke Japanese or Chinese doesn't matter nearly as much as it did five years ago, in my opinion.
My iPhone is Chinese. DJI is Chinese. The best bang for your buck PA red dot is Chinese. Your point is stupid and ignorant. No offense though.
Link Posted: 12/31/2019 7:39:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
No offense taken. It's not like I decided where the factory was located. None of the US made scope manufacturers were hiring guys like me, because there aren't any.

Virtue signaling between the country with a technocratic totalitarian government flying a commie flag (China), the country with the government squeezed between drug cartels and Islamic insurgency (Philippines) and the country whose government enforces a fanatical, total ban on any kind of firearms at all (Japan) isn't my game anyway. I'm just trying to make a living and build the kinds of scopes that I would want to put on my own guns. If other guys want to spend $1500 to fly a Japanese flag on their gun instead, I'm cool with it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Chinese can build an awesome product if you spec it correctly and inspect the work they do. Look at IPhones, IPads etc. There just are not a lot of people in the U.S. to handle precision building product and keep a half way reasonable price.

China is where Japan was back in the late 60's, early 70's. Think back to the 50's & 60's just about all professional photographers used European cameras, now every pro photographer uses Nikon, Cannon cameras. Great quality cameras and lens with the last technology. China has done that with other optics and electronics.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 1:39:10 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
My iPhone is Chinese. DJI is Chinese. The best bang for your buck PA red dot is Chinese. Your point is stupid and ignorant. No offense though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, it's not. Chinese magnified optics have  not established a track record of durability or performance in difficult conditions. Maybe they will someday, but they haven't yet. Most people who buy Chinese scopes don't push them hard. Most people who push their scopes hard don't buy Chinese.

Compared to quality riflescopes, iPhones are disposable. I have to call DJI tomorrow because my son's drone already failed. I've had four or five PA dots fail on me.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

No, it's not. Chinese magnified optics have  not established a track record of durability or performance in difficult conditions. Maybe they will someday, but they haven't yet. Most people who buy Chinese scopes don't push them hard. Most people who push their scopes hard don't buy Chinese.

Compared to quality riflescopes, iPhones are disposable. I have to call DJI tomorrow because my son's drone already failed. I've had four or five PA dots fail on me.
View Quote
There is plenty of pictures of Vortex Strike Eagles in use with SF guys who cant afford a nice 1-6x. A member here even wrote an article about non issue optics complete with pics of them in use.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 3:14:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
There is plenty of pictures of Vortex Strike Eagles in use with SF guys who cant afford a nice 1-6x. A member here even wrote an article about non issue optics complete with pics of them in use.
View Quote
Can you direct me to that article?
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 5:34:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Can you direct me to that article?
View Quote
Got it...
http://www.defensereview.com/tactical-ar-15-m4-m4a1-carbine-aftermarket-accessories-for-military-cotactical-ar-15-m4-m4a1-carbine-aftermarket-accessories-for-military-combat-applications-the-competition-to-combat-crossover-part/

The author posts here sometimes, FYI. Personally, I don't see the point in going for the Strike Eagle (or anything in that class) instead of waiting a couple/few weeks and getting the Viper instead unless you mathematically can't afford anything better and you need the optic immediately.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 10:23:45 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Here's the article. Here's a quote: "During my last tour, we had one guy run a Strike Eagle 1-6x. I’ve also seen mid-ranged priced Primary Arms and Burris scopes in the field. If they had the option between a Strike Eagles and Razors being given out, I’m sure they’d all opt for Razors." I have never seen anyone other than this author imply that U.S. special forces regularly use Chinese LPVOs. When you look at his exact language, it's quite limited.

The pictures in the article show a VCOG, a Nightforce, two Viper PSTs (Phillipines manufacturing), and a Strike Eagle (Chinese). The Strike Eagle is being used by a "SF operator" "downrange" "conducting training," whatever that stuff means.

The author's real point is that the extra 2-4x given by 1-6x and 1-8x LPVOs is enough of an advantage over issued 4x optics in Afghanistan  that a few people will use even Chinese  LPVOs if they have to.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 12:11:18 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Of course.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:12:47 AM EDT
[#30]
So what are we trying to say here.

Avoid all Chinese made products or just the rifle scopes?

This whole thread is very confusing
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 2:59:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Here's the article. Here's a quote: "During my last tour, we had one guy run a Strike Eagle 1-6x. I've also seen mid-ranged priced Primary Arms and Burris scopes in the field. If they had the option between a Strike Eagles and Razors being given out, I'm sure they'd all opt for Razors." I have never seen anyone other than this author imply that U.S. special forces regularly use Chinese LPVOs. When you look at his exact language, it's quite limited.

The pictures in the article show a VCOG, a Nightforce, two Viper PSTs (Phillipines manufacturing), and a Strike Eagle (Chinese). The Strike Eagle is being used by a "SF operator" "downrange" "conducting training," whatever that stuff means.

The author's real point is that the extra 2-4x given by 1-6x and 1-8x LPVOs is enough of an advantage over issued 4x optics in Afghanistan  that a few people will use even Chinese  LPVOs if they have to.
View Quote
There's more pics out there too. They do require a bit of searching. I remember having seen a pic of what was said to be a guys 1-8x Strike Eagle in Syria, on a personally owned upper receiver. IIRC. I am by no means advocating that the Chinese special $300 LVPOs are the epitome of durability, I'm just saying if a dude bought one and is in the Green Berets and it survived a tour of duty it's probably not made of glass   (poor choice of words ) made of porcelain like some of the posters in here have implied. There was also a mercenary in Syria that posted a bunch of pics and or videos to youtube  I think it was actually Facebook with a Strike Eagle on his AK.

ETA: that member was Stukas87 he used the VCOG and an offset RMR.
Link Posted: 1/3/2020 3:19:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
There's more pics out there too. They do require a bit of searching. I remember having seen a pic of what was said to be a guys 1-8x Strike Eagle in Syria, on a personally owned upper receiver. IIRC. I am by no means advocating that the Chinese special $300 LVPOs are the epitome of durability, I'm just saying if a dude bought one and is in the Green Berets and it survived a tour of duty it's probably not made of glass like some of the posters in here have implied. There was also a mercenary in Syria that posted a bunch of pics and or videos to youtube  I think it was actually Facebook with a Strike Eagle on his AK.

ETA: that member was Stukas87 he used the VCOG and an offset RMR.
View Quote
The merc in Syria has an Instagram page. He used the peshmerganor name for it.https://www.instagram.com/peshmerganor/?hl=en

I remember specifically following it because he was using a Strike Eagle that he actually switched out from an Acog because he wanted to be able to reach out further.

It's right there in his Instagram documented pretty decent. Several pics.

I believe he spent a year or so there and used that optic most of the time I remember it being mounted on what I believe to be an M-16 A3?

It's there if you scroll down quite a ways. He has been home for a year or two now, not really sure maybe longer?

I don't own any strike eagles but it was interesting to see some using these lower-end optics successfully in theater.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:31:42 AM EDT
[#33]
The two examples of people using the Strike Eagle in combat are definitely a plus in its favor.

Most comparisons say the glass is better too.

Still think I would like the KISS reticule more, I wish Vortex had some options.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 1:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
The two examples of people using the Strike Eagle in combat are definitely a plus in its favor.

Most comparisons say the glass is better too.

Still think I would like the KISS reticule more, I wish Vortex had some options.
View Quote
I can show you pictures of guys in combat in boxers and flip-flops, it doesn't mean that this is good, just better than being barefoot.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:52:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

I can show you pictures of guys in combat in boxers and flip-flops, it doesn't mean that this is good, just better than being barefoot.
View Quote
OP you should get whatever this guy tells you to get.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 2:56:19 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Outrageously poor analogy.  Did those guys look at a bunch of options and then make the conscious decision to go into combat that way?
The "brown bag for a week and buy the step up" suggestions are boring the fuck out of me.  I have regular money that I put in to this shit. I know how much of price difference there is between optics and know most of the reasons why they are there and what you get for them.  But money is a finite thing in most everyone's life.

A Steiner P4Xi would cost about twice as much money to put on my rifle as the optics I started this thread to discuss.  Does it offer double the durability and capability?  Do you have experience or examples to show that?  Is that more important than the case of Lake City I could practice with for that money?  If I started a thread on it, how many people are going to bust in with "save for another month and buy this $1200 optic."  If someone was asking about a BSA red dot I'd be the first person to bust in telling the person to keep their irons.  But that isn't the difference in these optics.

I appreciate the people that have pointed to the various resources and given the personal experience with what we are discussing.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Outrageously poor analogy.  Did those guys look at a bunch of options and then make the conscious decision to go into combat that way?
The "brown bag for a week and buy the step up" suggestions are boring the fuck out of me.  I have regular money that I put in to this shit. I know how much of price difference there is between optics and know most of the reasons why they are there and what you get for them.  But money is a finite thing in most everyone's life.

A Steiner P4Xi would cost about twice as much money to put on my rifle as the optics I started this thread to discuss.  Does it offer double the durability and capability?  Do you have experience or examples to show that?  Is that more important than the case of Lake City I could practice with for that money?  If I started a thread on it, how many people are going to bust in with "save for another month and buy this $1200 optic."  If someone was asking about a BSA red dot I'd be the first person to bust in telling the person to keep their irons.  But that isn't the difference in these optics.

I appreciate the people that have pointed to the various resources and given the personal experience with what we are discussing.
View Quote
Took the words right out of my mouth OP.

I forgot to add, look at Swampfox Optics also. Big thread on them here.

The PX4i has had it's issues too. Fiber-optic coming loose on them/canted reticles.
Link Posted: 1/4/2020 11:35:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

OP you should get whatever this guy tells you to get.
View Quote
See, I haven't told anyone to get anything and I probably won't.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:11:01 AM EDT
[#39]
I started my LPVO journey with a 1-6x strike eagle. It served me well and held zero.

I wanted better glass so I bought a Leupold VXR patrol 1-4.

Now I’ve been using a vortex viper pst gen2 1-6 and couldn’t be happier.

If a Strike Eagle or PA is in the price range you want to pay then get it. They will both serve you well.

Is there better glass and quality out there? Absolutely but if you don’t wanna pay the price for them then it doesn’t matter.

You can pick up a 1-6 or 1-8 Strike Eagle on EE for like $250.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:36:20 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
Of course they made the decision to go that way.  They decided they didn't have time to get their pants and boots on.  The only way you know if was the right decision to completely understand the context.

Buying the same scope as E4 (the one with 250lb, former exotic dancer ex wife and $700 car payment at 19%) purchased because one of the guys at the PX (who was sniper in Serbia) told him it was just as good is no problem.  Lots of guys buy Strike Eagles.

Buying one BECAUSE some joker took one to Iraq or Afghanistan is nuts.  Even in combat arms units where you might think people would respect a rifles role in keeping them alive, they do some exceptionally stupid shit.  Most guys aren't gun guys.

Edited for clarification.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 12:48:18 AM EDT
[#41]
OP, what makes you consider the Strike Eagle over the Burris RT6?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:11:30 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good grief
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:20:28 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Good grief
View Quote
Point out the part where I am wrong, exactly.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:25:45 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

View Quote
Never said you were wrong, just a little overzealous.

No worries though.

Oh by the way, I had a strike Eagle and didn't like it so I sold it.

If the OP decides to get one and he likes it, then I hope it serves him well.

For some reason it seems to bother you like you're on some kind of a crusade to save his life?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:44:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Never said you were wrong, just a little overzealous.

No worries though.
View Quote
No problem.

I don't know the OP from Adam, but most people have unrealistic idea of government supplied training especially military and specifically firearms.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:46:53 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, your post is mostly an attempt to build a straw man. Your E4 argument suggests you didn't even look at the guys using the Strike Eagle. Two guys specifically chose it over available DRs and ACOGs. They chose it for different reasons than I am looking at them though. At least one SF guy, and the guy with the Kurds. You didn't really post anything to be wrong about.

As for the Burris vs SE, I haven't looked hard at the Burris yet, but will. First look I maybe like its reticule more, but staring at the SE in several vids had me starting to like it. I'll look for reviews on it tomorrow.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:55:12 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

For some reason it seems to bother you like you're on some kind of a crusade to save his life?
View Quote
I have an interest in the topic and I've posted several times but I don't see crusading.  I'm curious as to other people's perspectives and always looking for new information.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:47:35 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, your post is mostly an attempt to build a straw man. Your E4 argument suggests you didn't even look at the guys using the Strike Eagle.
View Quote
I've read it.  It is an interesting anecdote.

An E4 typically has enough time in to have made some really dumb decisions, including the common ones I highlighted.  He's a military everyman and universal example.

Think the elite unit uberwarriors are more knowledgeable?  While they are on average, there are still plenty of them that lube their rifles with WD-40.  Would you do that if I write an article about it?

On the other hand, my little brother is running around Afghanistan right now with a broken Aimpoint.  He'd be thrilled to be able to use working Strike Eagle.  I'd have sent him any optic he wanted already if he was permitted to use it.  More military wisdom.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 1:25:29 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've read it.  It is an interesting anecdote.

An E4 typically has enough time in to have made some really dumb decisions, including the common ones I highlighted.  He's a military everyman and universal example.

Think the elite unit uberwarriors are more knowledgeable?  While they are on average, there are still plenty of them that lube their rifles with WD-40.  Would you do that if I write an article about it?

On the other hand, my little brother is running around Afghanistan right now with a broken Aimpoint.  He'd be thrilled to be able to use working Strike Eagle.  I'd have sent him any optic he wanted already if he was permitted to use it.  More military wisdom.
View Quote
Let's ignore all that you talk about the RT 6.

Talk about how much you have used it doing what? And what do you have to compare it to (preferably in a similar price range)

Talk about; glass clarity, reticule, eyebox, durability etc

Not as much info out there on it. I'm having a hard time seeing the difference between it and the MTAC
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 2:13:36 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a strike eagle 1-8 and ended up selling it.  Eye box is way too tight at 8x, glass is subpar, but it did hold zero.  I guess if you simply cannot afford anything better then it is what it is, but even my PA 1-6x FFP beats it IMO.
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top