Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 10:56:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are these better for astigmatism?
View Quote
Yes. You can focus the diopter to your eye.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 11:22:53 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed. This is a godsend for those with astigmatism. Can't dial out the blur with RD's.

ETA: Meant to say Naked Eye blur. For me, I can use them with corrective lenses. See my rambling below..
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:20:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Agreed. This is a godsend for those with astigmatism. Can't dial out the blur with RD's.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+3

Red dots were like a starburst for me.

Now with the Cyclops i have a super crisp picture
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 12:52:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
+3

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+3

+4. Had to sell off all my red dots....1x prismatics are it for me.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 1:52:53 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm fortunate enough to still have use for my RD collection. I've got to wear my corrective glasses to get the "pin prick, best look" but so be it. They work well for range target use no doubt.

I've noticed that the units with push button intensity (Sig Romeo 5, 4S and Holosun HS512C) work best for me. The latest iteration of PA's 2MOA dial units are the worst in my eyes as the first non-NV setting of 3 is too bright (relatively speaking.) The push button units allow the minimum amount of illumination, which in-turn reduces dot blowout. They're all still viable for me, so I'll keep them. Options, and backup.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 2:40:13 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
+3

Only RDS I keep around now is a 503gu for a mossberg shockwave. Reticle is surprisingly clear with a little blur. for my eyes But lets be honest it's on a 14" 12 gauge. Just put the circle on the target and the shot is going to hit it. At shotgun ranges the astigmatism distortion isnt really going to matter.

No idea why the circle dots look clearer to me than a single dot.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:27:01 PM EDT
[#7]
Just picked up a cyclops on the EE

It’s nice to be able to see a clear and crisp reticle. Astigmatisms suck.

Reticle is tiny. The chevron doesnt look much like a chevron to me, more like a dot. I see its utility with the horseshoe for close and the chevron for further out. I may grab another.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Reticle is tiny. The chevron doesnt look much like a chevron to me, more like a dot. I see its utility with the horseshoe for close and the chevron for further out. I may grab another.
View Quote
There have been complaints about the reticle... but IMO, that is because the user is using it incorrectly.  The horseshoe acts much like a red dot. Place the horseshoe on a close in target and go. Use the chevron on more distant targets...where it won't obscure smaller aiming points.
Link Posted: 11/24/2019 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
The more you use it the more you will love it.After about 100 rounds i was sold on it and bought a 2nd one

I think some folks try to use it as a precision type optic which it isnt.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Much better...

ADM CASV QD T1 mount & L1/3 riser plate for the Cyclops came today, added the L1/3 riser plate to the Vortex 3x as well. They seem to align almost perfect.. I'm happy with it. Off to the range later this week to field test!

Link Posted: 11/25/2019 3:54:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 4:13:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
There have been complaints about the reticle... but IMO, that is because the user is using it incorrectly.  The horseshoe acts much like a red dot. Place the horseshoe on a close in target and go. Use the chevron on more distant targets...where it won't obscure smaller aiming points.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea I have no qualms about using the horseshoe as a dot for close range. It’s small enough that precise aiming is still possible. I may run into trouble when trying to shoot at range. We will see. For my purposes its about perfect though.
Link Posted: 11/25/2019 4:14:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Sooooo, are you using the magnifier to magnify the target image

or are you using the magnifier to magnify the reticle?

View Quote
Lol! Both. It works. There is some chromatic aberration between the two, but it's not bad. Ya just have to fiddle with the diopter on both to get it all clear.

Now that they're at a height I'm comfortable with I'm happy thus far.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 4:42:37 PM EDT
[#14]
I wonder if PA will introduce a LPVO with this same reticle. That would be nice.
Link Posted: 11/26/2019 6:06:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 12:32:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Would I be crazy to put one of these on an offset mount? I've been shooting with a PA 5x prism and a sig dot, not a fan of the sig though. I really appreciate the clarity and crispness of the PA reticle.
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 1:31:06 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 11/27/2019 2:15:56 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
It would be big, but I don't see why not
View Quote
Yeah, taking another look at it i'm thinking the size would be a bit absurd, probably better off just going with a quality dot. I'd definitely still like to get one as a main optic, maybe a lightweight up close set up for bay stages and what not.
Link Posted: 12/6/2019 8:09:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Approved as Duty Optic by Pasadena PD
Article

Two Primary Arms Optics Products Granted Approval for Duty-Use by Pasadena Police

The SLx™ Compact 1×20 Prism Provides Close-Quarters Precision with ACSS Cyclops Reticle

The SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot Offers a Lightweight Red Dot Sight with Rugged Body

Both Optics were Field Tested and Highly Rated by the NTOA Earlier in 2019

HOUSTON, TEXAS – The City of Pasadena Police Department has approved two Primary Arms Optics for duty-use. This approval comes shortly after a similar approval letter from Missouri City Police Department, which issued Primary Arms Optics’ SLx 3x Prism on duty carbines. For Pasadena police, both the SLx Compact 1×20 Prism Scope and SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot are designed for superior performance in the close-quarters environments commonly faced by law enforcement. With months of field-testing of the NTOA certifying their effectiveness, these two optics ensure a quick sight picture with proven reliability.

For Pasadena Officers looking to equip their rifles, these two optics will provide similar benefits in application, though each has its own benefits. The SLx Compact 1×20 Prism Scope (commonly known as the Cyclops) is a 1x Prism with an etched ACSS® reticle. This reticle can be set for multiple illumination settings, providing a clear point of aim—even to those with strong astigmatisms. For those who prefer a micro red dot sight, the SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot maintains a minimal footprint on a service rifle, though its durability and feature-set make it a strong competitor in the field. With 50,000 hours of average battery life and 12 illumination settings, this dot can be configurated to any conditions, including low light with NV compatibility.

Regarding the SLx Compact 1×20 Prism Scope, the Pasadena PD Firearms Training Staff reports, “The ACSS reticle frames up the target well, which also aids in the fast acquisition of the target. The etched reticle allows use of the sight in the event that the battery goes out. This sight is a great value for the price.” Continuing, the staff further describes the SLx Advanced Push Button Microdot: “The 2MOA dot on this sight is very clear and easy to pick up. This not only allows for fast shots at close range, but also does not cover up too much of the target at extended ranges. The top mounted push button adjustments for brightness are very easy to use. This is in addition to the extended battery life, which makes this sight a great value.”

Pasadena’s approval letter comes after the NTOA released its own evaluation of several Primary Arms Optics Products. Through rigorous real-world testing and evaluation, the NTOA awarded Primary Arms Optics 2 gold ratings as well as 4 silver ratings, signifying exceptional performance beyond a simple ‘pass’. With many departments now recognizing the importance of duty optics, Primary Arms will continue to expand its offerings to law enforcement, ensuring they receive best pricing and ample support through any major procurement.

About Primary Arms Optics

Started in 2007, Primary Arms Optics seek to provide the best optics you can get for any budget. Utilizing the highly regarded, repeatedly-proven ACSS® reticle, Primary Arms optics boast unparalleled precision and adaptability for superior performance across ranges. With four product series available (Classic, SLx, GLx, and PLx), anyone can afford to equip themselves with the latest in optics technology. In addition, every product is backed with Primary Arms’ total commitment to customer satisfaction.
View Quote
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:44:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 5:53:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I never really did give use impression..

Cyclops + Mini 3x =

Granted this was at 25yds, but it worked out really nice with both @ L1/3 height. Cyclops is a keeper. I don't really need an FDE setup, but...
Link Posted: 12/13/2019 6:13:06 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I read all this feedback about how good the glass is and how it would be great for my astigmatism, and I really want it to work.  But I need a bold reticle.  this was my suggestion in the old thread.  Make the reticle with German #4 bars.  it will grab the eye quickly.
View Quote
Re-reading this thread and have to add my vote. I really, reeallllly, like that reticle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 5:18:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Much better...

ADM CASV QD T1 mount & L1/3 riser plate for the Cyclops came today, added the L1/3 riser plate to the Vortex 3x as well. They seem to align almost perfect.. I'm happy with it. Off to the range later this week to field test!

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H2spGox9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H2spCjx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H2spgMx9T3R.jpg
View Quote
Thank you for this and 6our other posts, this is a really interesting new optic setup!

A question for you though. How hard is it to finagle the diopters of both to work with each other? As in, if you set the cyclops up for you to use on it's own, do you then have to change the diopter before you use the magnifier, or does the magnifier's diopter allow you to set up the magnifier to just work with the cyclops with no change to the cyclop's diopter?

Also, how much leeway do you have in diopter movement on the magnifier? As in, if it's flipped to the side and banged around, and it's diopter inadvertantly gets turned, does it screw the sight picture up pretty badly because of the sight combination, or is it just a little fuzzy as if you had turned a diopter on a scope accidentally?

Sorry if I've missed the answers if they were already given in the thread, and thanks!
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:22:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 10:39:17 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Thank you for this and 6our other posts, this is a really interesting new optic setup!

A question for you though. How hard is it to finagle the diopters of both to work with each other? As in, if you set the cyclops up for you to use on it's own, do you then have to change the diopter before you use the magnifier, or does the magnifier's diopter allow you to set up the magnifier to just work with the cyclops with no change to the cyclop's diopter?

Also, how much leeway do you have in diopter movement on the magnifier? As in, if it's flipped to the side and banged around, and it's diopter inadvertantly gets turned, does it screw the sight picture up pretty badly because of the sight combination, or is it just a little fuzzy as if you had turned a diopter on a scope accidentally?

Sorry if I've missed the answers if they were already given in the thread, and thanks!
View Quote
Most welcome. After initial adjustment of both diopters, for me at least, it works good both magnified and non-magnified without any further fiddling. YMMV, as everyone's eyes are different. I will say wearing my astigmatism corrective glassed still helps tremendously with this setup.

As for knocking the mag diopter out of adjustment, I've yet to do that. It's fairly stiff to turn. Again, who knows. I'm sure it could inadvertently move but I've not had that issue.
Link Posted: 12/14/2019 11:37:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Most welcome. After initial adjustment of both diopters, for me at least, it works good both magnified and non-magnified without any further fiddling. YMMV, as everyone's eyes are different. I will say wearing my astigmatism corrective glassed still helps tremendously with this setup.

As for knocking the mag diopter out of adjustment, I've yet to do that. It's fairly stiff to turn. Again, who knows. I'm sure it could inadvertently move but I've not had that issue.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good deal, thank you again for the info!
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:10:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:12:38 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
If the illumination was brighter would you still want the bars?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Brighter is good, but unless battery life is improved the bars would be better.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:17:10 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
Either way, a reticle that appeears larger would be nice. Where the chevron is clearly a chevron for using the fine aiming point.
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 2:21:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Offer it with your K.I.S.S. reticle (green illumination would be nice as well), and I would immediately buy three of them.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2019 3:27:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 12/18/2019 8:41:06 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Absolutely yes.  I really only need illumination for nighttime, or on a dark background.  the bars draw the eye very quickly to the center, and will be essential even if the battery were dead and I'm only using the etched reticle.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Absolutely yes.  I really only need illumination for nighttime, or on a dark background.  the bars draw the eye very quickly to the center, and will be essential even if the battery were dead and I'm only using the etched reticle.
I second MRW on this.

ETA on the next version?
Link Posted: 12/19/2019 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:24:12 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been using two for some time now, I really like the reticle. The only change I'd make is to replace the ranging stadia w/close-in 5yd/15yd marks.

Tomac
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 4:33:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I've been using two for some time now, I really like the reticle. The only change I'd make is to replace the ranging stadia w/close-in 5yd/15yd marks.

Tomac
View Quote
No 'off' detents between illumination settings if not shake awake?
Link Posted: 1/1/2020 5:47:57 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac
True, would be useful. The knob on my FDE Cyclops is kinda stiff so I can get away with it. Might be tolerances, I don't know.
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 9:01:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac
That, or a single off setting between, say, 2-3 or 3-4 (like the MRO) would be nice, but I could (and do) live w/o it.

Tomac
Link Posted: 1/2/2020 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Relegated the Cyclops/3x min-mag back over to a 10.5" build.

I must say, the more I use these the more I like the set. I can live with the reticle as is, even unmagnified at the current mount point. With my astigmatism corrective glasses it works great for me at least.

If PA gives us another option, super. I do agree an "off" knob position between 3-4 would be a good idea (just because they could.) Even if I don't use the illumination all the time.

Rock on

Link Posted: 1/3/2020 1:48:49 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
I don't even use the illumination unless it's getting dark. Not an issue for me.
Link Posted: 1/7/2020 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I don't even use the illumination unless it's getting dark. Not an issue for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If I use it, it's probably just on 2 or 3 to provide contrast against dark objects or targets.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 7:03:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View Quote
Still a missed opportunity by PA to make a good product better.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:39:54 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:25:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Our new LE focused GLX 2X being released at SHOT is the first GLX Prism scope. It has our newly designed daylight bright illumination technology that will carry over to the GLX version of the Cyclops coming later in the year. Also will have auto on auto off and our new mounting system.  I will post full details in my SHOT update next week.

https://i211.photobucket.com/albums/bb190/marsh2001/2X_zps7mrrowd1.jpg
View Quote
Please let there be a green reticle option...please let there be a green reticle option...please let there be a green reticle option...
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 4:57:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Our new LE focused GLX 2X being released at SHOT is the first GLX Prism scope. It has our newly designed daylight bright illumination technology that will carry over to the GLX version of the Cyclops coming later in the year. Also will have auto on auto off and our new mounting system.  I will post full details in my SHOT update next week.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still a missed opportunity by PA to make a good product better.

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:52:08 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Finally someone who gets it. Prismatics really need to extend rearward like that for us that still like BUIS and to still be able to hit the eye box without short stocking it.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 8:06:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote
No 'off' detents?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 12:42:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Finally someone who gets it. Prismatics really need to extend rearward like that for us that still like BUIS and to still be able to hit the eye box without short stocking it.
View Quote
You will not be able to raise that rear BUIS with the sight in that place.  Is it a QD mount?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 1:27:16 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Much better...

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H2spGox9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H2spCjx9T3R.jpg

https://media.fotki.com/2v2H2spgMx9T3R.jpg
View Quote
Wow thank you. This is the exact idea I have been toying with in my head for a while. The one thing that holds me back is the weird mounting heights on this optic. I run ADM on everything and would like to basically have what you have setup here. I have never heard of that type of mount you used.

I like lower 1/3. Do you think if I bought an absolute height t1 mount, it would mount it to lower 1/3? Sorry if that's a dumb question, I have no idea why PA just didnt use standard heights, although atleast they got the mounting pattern right. The verbiage they use on their site is confusing.

Edit:
Page two of the original thread seems to have answered my question: yes.
https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-Anyone-get-the-Primary-Arms-Cyclops-1x-Etched-Glass-ACSS-yet-/5-2132806/?page=2

Now to buy this or wait for the 2x....
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#50]
In regards to the 2x...

shutupandtakemymoney.img
Page / 4
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top