Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 11:59:43 AM EDT
[#1]
100y here...
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Do people understand what a 50 yard zero would do vs a 100 yard zero?

A 50 yard zero will put you above the point of aim in most houses. So if you aim at the chest, you'll hit a little above that around the neck or potentially over the shoulders missing the person completely. A 100 yard zero will hit below the chest in nearly all home defense situation. Personally I think it should go below your point of aim because it's a sure bet it won't go over the person's shoulder, potentially hitting others.

I vote for a 100 yards zero unless someone can explain why a 50 yard zero would be better when the round would fly above the point of aim in nearly all cases.
View Quote
thats totally wrong

you're a Beowulf x user arent you?

50 yards for my RDS and lasers, 100(or required zero) for anything that requires it to work with offsets/reticles
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:22:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
There are multiple charts done by multiple people like this all over the net.

100 yard is best. No question. Why?  You’re never high. You’re either dead on (at 100) or low. Extremely helpful if you don’t know your targets distance. Eliminates having to guess low because you might be shooting high.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where on Earth did you find this. I can tell you without any reservation that my 25 yd zero is certainly not 11" high at 300 yds, in fact it's dead center at 300 yds.
There are multiple charts done by multiple people like this all over the net.

100 yard is best. No question. Why?  You’re never high. You’re either dead on (at 100) or low. Extremely helpful if you don’t know your targets distance. Eliminates having to guess low because you might be shooting high.
1.5”-2” high isn’t enough to matter when shooting COM.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:24:45 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Yeah, I get that it’s closer, and it’s tempting, but for me I’d rather rule out as many variables as I can. If the guy is at 235 yards you’re not going to know if you’re shooting and missing high or low with a 50 YZ.

With 100 you at least know all hits are low.

But this is more of an internet argument thread where we all get to try and look smart. For 99% of the time, with civilians, it won’t matter . It’s all way past most plausible self defense scenarios.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same with a 50 yard zero, except you have a farther MPBR by a pretty good margin.
Yeah, I get that it’s closer, and it’s tempting, but for me I’d rather rule out as many variables as I can. If the guy is at 235 yards you’re not going to know if you’re shooting and missing high or low with a 50 YZ.

But this is more of an internet argument thread where we all get to try and look smart. For 99% of the time, with civilians, it won’t matter . It’s all way past most plausible self defense scenarios.
With a 50y zero, your POI is never going to be so high over POA that you miss a man size target.  You’re making a mountain out of a molehill.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:32:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

you're a Beowulf x user arent you?
View Quote
Great question!
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 1:37:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Remember when you are close in with a 50m zero height over bore still matters when you are close in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:54:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Remember when you are close in with a 50m zero height over bore still matters when you are close in.
View Quote
All zeros have a height over bore. All sites are 2.5 to 2.8 inches above bore centerline. Aim or point center chest.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I zero every rifle I own at 200 yards. I'm a veteran of over 200 high power rifle tournaments and that's considered short range.

I know my clicks of elevation and windage because of 35 years of practice.

Your zero is an entirely personal decision. Inside your home you don't even need sights, point and shoot.

A 200 yard zero (5.56mm) is approximately 1.5 to 1.75" high at 100. Almost dead on at 50 yards. Inside your home you'll be 2" low because the bullet hasn't traveled far enough to make up the difference from the offset of the sights.

Most scopes or red dots are centered around 2.7" higher than the bore. Some are higher, some are lower. 2.7" is average for iron sights.

You will never miss inside your home no matter how you zero your rifle.
View Quote
well said.

When I say 50 yard zero, I mean 50/200. My HD rifles are 50 zeros. My Match rifle is 200, but I confirm 50.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:17:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I zero at 100 yards and practice holdovers.

My current favorite drill is to set up a target with 1 notecard and 1 piece of printer paper on it, then run a 2nd target 100 yards (or more) out.

Shoot either the notecard or paper from point blank to 25 yards, then transition to the 100 yard target. Mix up the distances and target size each time.

Up close you will do well just shouldering the rifle and a check weld
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:20:09 PM EDT
[#10]
I choose a 50 yard zero on my red dot equipped 5.56 rifles.

Quoted:

A 50 yard zero will put you above the point of aim in most houses. So if you aim at the chest, you'll hit a little above that around the neck or potentially over the shoulders missing the person completely. A 100 yard zero will hit below the chest in nearly all home defense situation. Personally I think it should go below your point of aim because it's a sure bet it won't go over the person's shoulder, potentially hitting others.

I vote for a 100 yards zero unless someone can explain why a 50 yard zero would be better when the round would fly above the point of aim in nearly all cases.
View Quote
This is completely false.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 4:23:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
That’s going to matter no matter what zero you use.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:06:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That’s going to matter no matter what zero you use.
View Quote
Still surprises me how many experienced shooters still make this mistake or how many people I have explain it to.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 5:42:45 PM EDT
[#13]
OP if the stick is just for home defense and you will NOT have to ever engage a treat outside of 25 yards zero at 25 and keep it indoors.  Don't forget front sight off set to barrel distance which this will change with different optics, risers and mounts.  If you need a good to go indoor/outdoor zero IMHE a 50 zero is good to go.  You still have front sight off set to barrel concerns to keep in mind.  I hope this helps bro.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I can tell you without any reservation that I posted it as a rough guide. If your zero is dead on at 300 with a 25 yard zero it's probably because you have a different sight standoff, probably 2" instead of the 3" on the chart. A 1.5" standoff with a 25 yard zero would be 5" low. A 2.6" as many use for ironsight calculations would be 6.9" high at 300.

Did you have a specific point you wanted to make?
View Quote
Rough? More like wrong. A 25yd/m zero is not going to be 11" high at 300, it is basically a 300 yd zero. Is that specific enough for you?
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 6:41:17 PM EDT
[#15]
You posted this on reddit already, bro. Did you expect to get something different from the usual 3 camps of 25, 50, & 100 yard zero?

Oh, but i guess you got a response with MPBR here.

No matter what zero you choose (from the three that are always mentioned) you will shoot (hopefully) at center mass. And there is little difference between the zeros in the distance you will be shooting at, in HD situations.

You gon’ post in m4 forum, too? Lol
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 7:15:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm zero'd at 50' for my HD gun. It's the farthest I'm likely to ever engage someone at in my suburban property, and close enough to hit as nearly POA across the possible ranges that I don't have to worry about hold-over or similar.

Larry
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 9:36:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Rough? More like wrong. A 25yd/m zero is not going to be 11" high at 300, it is basically a 300 yd zero. Is that specific enough for you?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I can tell you without any reservation that I posted it as a rough guide. If your zero is dead on at 300 with a 25 yard zero it's probably because you have a different sight standoff, probably 2" instead of the 3" on the chart. A 1.5" standoff with a 25 yard zero would be 5" low. A 2.6" as many use for ironsight calculations would be 6.9" high at 300.

Did you have a specific point you wanted to make?
I specifically know you didn't look at the sight standoff on that chart. You don't like it with a 3" stand off, find a better chart, all it was was a graphic example (why I said ROUGH) of how some different curves form.
Link Posted: 12/7/2018 10:21:00 PM EDT
[#18]
I zero at 200 and confirm at all other distances.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:34:01 AM EDT
[#19]
An Eotech with a 50/200 yard zero will give you your 7 yard zero at the bottom of the circle.

It works well for me
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 1:58:41 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yeah, I get that it's closer, and it's tempting, but for me I'd rather rule out as many variables as I can. If the guy is at 235 yards you're not going to know if you're shooting and missing high or low with a 50 YZ.

But this is more of an internet argument thread where we all get to try and look smart. For 99% of the time, with civilians, it won't matter . It's all way past most plausible self defense scenarios.
View Quote
If the guy is at 235 yds, it's not really a home defense scenario.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:10:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
Don't interrupt the Ballistic Masturbation Circle.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:21:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote
Maybe he is going Roof Korean.

I think it is silly to limit your rifle arbitrarily. Even if the senario is unlikely, even more so than needing your rifle in the first place, being ready for it still improves your general marksmanship level.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 2:42:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I think it is silly to limit your rifle arbitrarily. Even if the senario is unlikely, even more so than needing your rifle in the first place, being ready for it still improves your general marksmanship level.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Even adopting your mindset, a 50y zero is at max 1.5”-2” above POA.  You’re not going to be “missing high” shooting at a human sized target at any range using that zero unless you’re an incredibly bad shot, in which case different zeroing methods aren’t going to help you.

I’d understand the argument if you were attempting to hit a playing card.  It makes zero sense when applied to something the size of a human torso.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 3:32:47 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
With a 50y zero, your POI is never going to be so high over POA that you miss a man size target.  You’re making a mountain out of a molehill.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Same with a 50 yard zero, except you have a farther MPBR by a pretty good margin.

The POI is also close enough to make it easy to hit a fairly small target out to 300 or so, assuming you can see it and your ammo is up to the task (2 MOA isn't all that hard for good quality ball if you have a dot and a good position, which means ~6" at that distance before wind comes into it.)   It makes no sense to praise a 100 yard zero for accuracy reasons and then not actually have practical accuracy on smaller targets you can reasonably see and hit.

100 yard zero isn't just "always low past a certain point", it's low enough to add enough holdover to make it more difficult to hit smaller or partially obscured targets.

235 yards isn't a typical HD or SD distance at all, but hamstringing the capability of a rifle that is so accurate and easy to shoot is silly.    People are not going to notice a damn bit of difference in POI between 50 and 100 yd zeroes at typical HD distances, and you're going to be hitting low with both at residential indoor ranges.

If I'm not practicing on close-in steel, I'm usually shooting at various distances out to a few hundred yards, with targets set at distances that aren't known until I laser them.    Hitting smaller plates with a red dot (as opposed to something with mil or MOA reticle) with a 100 yard zero would be annoying as fuck.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:25:47 AM EDT
[#25]
I thought I was going crazy for a minute. I clicked this thread, intending to read whatever comments followed my post from earlier today...but I couldn’t find my post anywhere. Finally figured out there are two of these threads running at the same time

Quoted:
MPBR (Maximum point blank range) zero.  
Min/max for your AR.
Reflex shooting FTW
View Quote
As I’d stated in the other thread, I’m definitely becoming a MPBR convert. Tried it a while back with one of my ARs and have been quite pleased. I’ve traditionally been a 50 or 200 yard guy. Still use it on a number of carbines.

The MPBR zero, at least on paper, seemed like a better mousetrap. Applying it seems to have confirmed that theory. Instead of picking a “canned” zero, it’s allowed me to stretch the point and shoot performance I desire.

I started with a baseline of 6” for my target size (i.e. no more than 3” of deviation between POA and POI). With my particular rifle and load, it gets me out to 275 yards with no holds. It equates to a near zero of 40 yard and a far zero of 235 yards.

With a center of mass POA, it’ll still yield hits out to just past 350. Holding a little high (neck area) will get me all the way to 400. Hard to argue with that ease of performance.

To the actual question, potential HD distances (for me) aren’t really even a consideration when selecting a zero. Pick one and know your hold at “me to you” distances. Even then, it’d require some sort of hostage situation for the offset to really matter; which is pretty unlikely for a civilian/HD scenario.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 6:37:29 AM EDT
[#26]
View Quote
100 yard is clearly the best here, as they are all about 3 inches low at cqb, but 100 is pretty much dead after that

No sense zeroing at indoor ranges because you don't have time or need to aim at 10 feet
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:04:50 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even adopting your mindset, a 50y zero is at max 1.5”-2” above POA.  You’re not going to be “missing high” shooting at a human sized target at any range using that zero unless you’re an incredibly bad shot, in which case different zeroing methods aren’t going to help you.

I’d understand the argument if you were attempting to hit a playing card.  It makes zero sense when applied to something the size of a human torso.
View Quote
I was not making an argument that one zero is better than another. Just that zeroing a rifle for only close ranges is hindering the gun and shooter.

I think 50 and 100 yards are both good zeroes. I just personally  with 100.

I agree with what you said, hold over and unders don't matter for most targets.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 7:59:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Interesting.  Especially considering that my rounds impact about 2 inches high at 100 yards with a 50 yard zero.

You must be shooting Tinkerbell if you aim at the chest and hit the neck.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 8:09:57 AM EDT
[#29]
50 or 25 is fine for HD.  Keep in mind during HD don't take the time to hit a button.
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 9:22:47 AM EDT
[#30]
I use 3 different zeros depending on the optic type:

Non magnified optics and iron sights get zeroed at 50yd.

Low power variable optics (anything with a 1xish, may or may not have an exposed elevation turret) get zeroed at 200yd (max of .5 mil high at 100yd, or ~1.75"). Near zero generally works out to 40-50yd depending on ammo.

High power optics all zero at 100 because I'm going to be dialing them as the situation warrants anyway.

I agree with those that say zero doesnt matter at HD distances -- you aren't picking the buttons off your attackers shirt and even if you did, unless you are cranking on 5 mils of elevation to get a 10yd zero you need to deal with height over bore as your biggest factor in accuracy at close range.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:22:03 AM EDT
[#31]
Topic Moved
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:55:40 AM EDT
[#32]
300m
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:55:50 AM EDT
[#33]
My dedicated, purpose built specifically for HD, 10.3" AR 'firearm' is zeroed at 50yds and confirmed POI at 25yds and less.

Edited as I screwed up the numbers.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 12:15:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I have a 50 yard zero and can say with absolute certainty this is not the case. Sight stand-off alone means POI is lower than POA at across the room distance.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a 50 yard zero and can say with absolute certainty this is not the case. Sight stand-off alone means POI is lower than POA at across the room distance.
I've shot matches that had mostly across the room distances with a 50 yard zero and agree that rounds will not shoot over the target.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:01:39 PM EDT
[#35]
What a silly question !
Be sure and draw a fine bead at 15 ft.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
MPBR (Maximum point blank range) zero.  
View Quote
What distance is this for you?
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 7:39:50 PM EDT
[#37]
While there are good things about 36 yd zero out to 300, typical HD I would say 50/200. Either or since they are so close in reality. It will keep you within 1.7” + or - out to about 225. Let’s say with a 25 yard zero it turns in to a situation outside. Unlikely I know but just for an example, you could be real high at 100 unless you really understand and practice holdunder. I personally despise any type of holdunder. It just goes against my constitution.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#38]
I do 100m on everything. It’s the best overall General Purpose zero
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:18:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
This is 100% wrong.
Link Posted: 12/9/2018 11:40:24 PM EDT
[#40]
50yd for irons and dots has worked well for my purposes.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 1:32:12 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
This is 100% wrong.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This is 100% wrong.
a 50 yard zero will put you 1.2” below POA @ 25 yards,
0 @ 50,
0.87” above @75,
1.38” above @ 100,
1.53” above at 125
and it works down from there to about 200. The thickness of a 2x4 above or below POA all the way out to 220. That’s it. I think some of you are looking at MOA instead of actual inches at short range.
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:39:20 PM EDT
[#42]
i do 50 yd for 5.56
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#43]
All
the
way
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 8:39:40 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
50 yards is the correct answer.
View Quote
Agreed
Link Posted: 12/10/2018 9:19:13 PM EDT
[#45]
I use 100y zero. There’s never a shot that you need to hold low
Link Posted: 12/11/2018 12:13:25 AM EDT
[#46]
I hope we all agree a 25 yard zero is not the best.
Link Posted: 12/13/2018 6:22:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
50 yards is the correct answer.
View Quote
Yes. You don't want to limit the utility of the rifle in a rapidly-changing scenario so the 50-yd/200-yd zero is the answer. Technically at 25 yds you will be 1" low. At 12.5 yds you will be 1.5" low. Doesn't matter, you shoot for center mass from the muzzle to 250 yds and you're getting a hit. Plus, the rifle is easier to zero at 50 than 100, depending on your proficiency with it. Once you're on the center at 50 yds, you can go to the 100 yd range and fine-tune it for windage only - you don't want to alter the trajectory by adjusting the elevation at 100 - you just want to correct any left-right trending so if you do get a 200 yd shot you'll be more likely to hit it.
Link Posted: 12/15/2018 6:49:21 PM EDT
[#48]
For close distance the difference between a 50 and 100 yard zero is around a tenth of an inch at likely home defense distances (5-10 yards).

I once considered zeroing my AR for the likely home defense distance as I'm highly unlikely to need to hit someone at even 50 yards, but due to the sight height above bore being at least 2.65" and often 3" or higher, it's not sensible. A 7 yard zero is great for inside a house, but by 20 yards you're 5 inches high and growing fast, about 4 inches higher every 10 yards, which is completely unacceptable and dangerous.

Use a normal zero. There are sights with very close range options, EOTech says you can use the bottom of the circle for the 7 yard aiming point while the center dot is zeroed at 50 yards.

What's more, with a normal zero you can take your gun to competition and won't have to rezero. That gives you a lot more useful practice.
Link Posted: 12/16/2018 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Actual home defense? Honestly.....Its just not going to matter. The inch or 2 high or low from your POI/POA isnt going to be an issue in a true home defense situation. For me I do a 50 yard zero but again for home defense where your farthest shot will probably be 50 feet.....Just know POA isnt POI, and that this would only become a problem in a hostage situation where the guy is hiding behind one of your family.

My opinion.
Link Posted: 12/19/2018 4:57:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Vigilance Elite - Spec Ops Dude's Favorite Combat Rifle Zero
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top