Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:07:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lol 2 of mine over  a decade old, one of which was blown up and exposed to insane temp changes and sandblasted on a regular basis didn’t happen.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy the delamination and nitrogen leaking after a year.  All four of mine did that and I even had 2 of the exps3 models.
Lol 2 of mine over  a decade old, one of which was blown up and exposed to insane temp changes and sandblasted on a regular basis didn’t happen.
I guess I am unlucky. Mine sat in the safe inside the house 99% of the time.Never had the temp shift everyone talks about.  Just the circle dot disappearing or  fading off on the edges.  I brought this up at shot show the last two years as well and the guys there say they never heard the delamination  or nitrogen leaking before. They are so full of shit that they believe their own lies
I even pulled up the customer service emails when I send them in for repair back in 2013-2014 showing what the problem is and they still told me I am a liar and  " they never heard of that problem before".
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I guess I am unlucky. Mine sat in the safe inside the house 99% of the time.Never had the temp shift everyone talks about.  Just the circle dot disappearing or  fading off on the edges.  I brought this up at shot show the last two years as well and the guys there say they never heard the delamination  or nitrogen leaking before. They are so full of shit that they believe their own lies
View Quote
Odd that they would say that to you...EOtech was very open about those issues and corrected the problem on sights manufactured from Aug 2014...and they have warrantied out the ones that have had those issues...even after their warranties expired. When the whole thermal drift fiasco blew up...they released a specific point by point FAQ about the HWS sights...in there they laid out the delamination and loss of nitrogen issues as well.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:25:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Odd that they would say that to you...EOtech was very open about those issues and corrected the problem on sights manufactured from Aug 2014...and they have warrantied out the ones that have had those issues...even after their warranties expired. When the whole thermal drift fiasco blew up...they released a specific point by point FAQ about the HWS sights...in there they laid out the delamination and loss of nitrogen issues as well.
View Quote
 I showed my customer service emails from 2013-2014 to two gentlemen at shot show this year and ask them if the nitrogen leaking issue was fixed and they very very rude and said it was never an issue and I was the first.  I really loved my eotechs and was ready to by more but those guys fucked that up. Trijicon and aimpoint only now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
That sucks on your end...but EOtech as a company has been open about those issues...now it is 100% on EOtech for not having those guys up to par with customer service. Looks like they have lost a customer because of it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 3:48:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I think they are great in a certain role.

Offensive role, with enough $ to replace more often.

On an always ready gun, the battery life alone makes them more challenging, and their propensity to degas or otherwise become inop makes them less desirable for a rifle you need to be 100% all the time while it sits in a corner.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:12:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

I’ll take a worst case scenario of 2 MOA over a hundred degrees F temp change instead of 9MOA of parallax with zero temp shift from a dogshit aimpoint micro.
View Quote
I’ve honestly never noticed any parallax shift with any of my AP Micros.  Not doubting that it occurs, but it just doesn’t seem to affect my shooting.

A reticle being so faded that I can barely see it during daylight hours does seem to affect my shooting, though, so I’ll be taking the AP Micro.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:17:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Oh look, EOTech. Clearly not a serious gun user like the internet guys

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/37093/6F05CCAE-3106-43F1-98AB-2B7085D25E39-511723.JPG
View Quote
Civilian end use is not anywhere near comparable to .mil end use.  They have an Eotech that loses a purge or starts to delaminate, it’s not too difficult to grab a new one and re-zero.  I, on the other hand, don’t have a drawer full of backup optics to replace my shit when one goes down.

Thanks, but I’ll take the stuff that has a better track record of not taking a shit pretty consistently.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 4:18:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The body of evidence is out there and the issues with lost purges and delamination are pretty well known and documented.  You simply got lucky.
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/11/2018 11:32:53 PM EDT
[#10]
I can completely understand why guys will never trust the company again. I just missed mine too much though so I just picked another one up.

The viewing window and reticle is unbeatable. (And yes, I have used everything quality for red dots) would rather have those 2 things and use the warrantee in the future than to get another Aimpoint. And the only thing I dislike about the Aimpoint is the reticle compared to the -0 eotech reticle. The window size I do like on the comp series, but still not as much as the EO.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 12:18:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Wife loves the Eotech reticle and has taken 9 coyotes last year with it so I know it’s dialed in. Rifle rides in the UTV gun rack for targets of opportunity on the ranch
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:26:23 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wife loves the Eotech reticle and has taken 9 coyotes last year with it so I know it’s dialed in. Rifle rides in the UTV gun rack for targets of opportunity on the ranch
View Quote
Mine loved it, too, much more than the simple dot.

I'm looking to replace her dead EOTech with some other brand that has a circle dot reticle.  If nothing else, it will be some other brand of dot reticle.

It will NOT be an EOTech.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:29:34 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I, on the other hand, don’t have a drawer full of backup optics to replace my shit when one goes down.

Thanks, but I’ll take the stuff that has a better track record of not taking a shit pretty consistently.
View Quote
My EOTech died sitting in the gun safe, unused.  Do not count on EOTech having any sort of decent shelf life, perhaps not even as long as the warranty.  That is BAD!
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:49:11 AM EDT
[#14]
I am going with a Vortex this year...we shall see how it holds up. I have a feeling it will go just fine...its tanky as a red dot can be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:58:50 AM EDT
[#15]
The mob rules at ARFCOM. I have not experienced any of the problems.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 10:40:43 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Enjoy the delamination and nitrogen leaking after a year.  All four of mine did that and I even had 2 of the exps3 models.
Out of 5 Eotechs (not counting the two Bushnell holosights) I had:

4 delaminations (6 if you count the Bushnells)
3 bad battery contacts
2 broken battery compartment levers

I've never experienced that battery drain or wandering zero problems, however.  Needless to say, I sent back 3 EoTechs for a refund (I had already sent one back previously, and was told it was too old and out of warranty), and put the one working one on my airsoft rifle.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The mob rules at ARFCOM. I have not experienced any of the problems.
View Quote
If there is a mob, it implies lots of problems with EOTechs.

I did not expect what happened to mine.

Of three units, all three had trouble.  That is an admittedly small sample but the failure rate is 100%.

These were brand new, purchased from three different suppliers at three different times.  They are barely used other than sighting them in.

By contrast, my Aimpoint is still perfect.  Even my TASCO Pro-Point is still working perfectly 25 years later.

What bothers me is EOTech's unwillingness to make this right.

I think we saw some of that in the government law suit (which they lost). 1911xdm's post above is another example of BAD supplier behavior.  It is disgraceful on their part.

No more EOTechs for me, ever.
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 9:19:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm looking to replace her dead EOTech with some other brand that has a circle dot reticle. If nothing else, it will be some other brand of dot reticle.
View Quote
Sig Romeo 5 XDR
Link Posted: 4/12/2018 11:26:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Sig Romeo 5 XDR
View Quote
ty
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 9:22:42 PM EDT
[#20]
From FL to NC no problems with my mine. I never found a reason to send it in. I think mine is 12ys old now? Can't remember.
Link Posted: 4/16/2018 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#21]
I had a 512 that had about a 6-8 hour run time & a 553 that delaminated. Eotech took care of it. Never noticed the thermal drift. Shopping for a new version now.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 12:47:33 PM EDT
[#22]
I personally never lost faith, but I did stay silent.

I think the issue was overblown.
Yes, there was a POI shift in extreme cold, but every optic will do that.
It was just a little more than usual on the eotech.

Their response was quite wild though.
Full MSRP refunds. Something I've never heard of, and I'm surprised they didn't go bankrupt. I didn't even want to get rid of mine but the deal was too sweet to pass up.
On top of this, they settled a 25mil class action lawsuit over the issue.
Insane.

Yet on the other end of the spectrum we have companies like Sig who don't even recall a non-drop safe pistol.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:03:33 PM EDT
[#23]
I'd love to give one another try, but they are never on sale and frankly I won't spend MSRP on one.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 5:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I personally never lost faith, but I did stay silent.

I think the issue was overblown.
Yes, there was a POI shift in extreme cold, but every optic will do that.
It was just a little more than usual on the eotech.

Their response was quite wild though.
Full MSRP refunds. Something I've never heard of, and I'm surprised they didn't go bankrupt. I didn't even want to get rid of mine but the deal was too sweet to pass up.
On top of this, they settled a 25mil class action lawsuit over the issue.
Insane.

Yet on the other end of the spectrum we have companies like Sig who don't even recall a non-drop safe pistol.
View Quote
L3 is a massive company. The refund was a tax write off for them.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 7:00:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

L3 is a massive company. The refund was a tax write off for them.
View Quote
Of course they wrote off the loss, but it still hurts the company. A loss is a loss.

This was an expensive lesson that I hope will encourage them and other companies to fix things as soon as they can. I like EOTech, I only bought on replacement to the four I got a refund from. The Aimpoint Pro' were too good to pass up at $380.00 each.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Love eotechs, can't stand the battery life.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:36:33 PM EDT
[#27]
I love Eotechs. May not be perfect but IMO there should be a place in your safe for one, I’ll prob always have one. Or two.
Link Posted: 4/22/2018 10:52:05 PM EDT
[#28]
I wouldn't trust one for serious use.  And then why not go cheaper for that purpose
Link Posted: 4/23/2018 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#29]
Yes.  We still hate them.

Lying company
High probability of delamination
Terrible battery life
Drifting zero that does not return to initial set point
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 7:32:26 AM EDT
[#30]
I have had many and live in TX carried one in my toolbox in winter and summer. Never had thermal shift. Sent several in for purge and one for contacts. If I were to buy a red dot today it would be a eotech.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:09:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Don't hate the company, but they've got a lot of shitbirds that need to be ousted.

Love the reticle, the form factor, the window, the parallax; it's the best CQB optic around, bar none.

But the optic is in dire need of a redesign. Delamination should never happen, period. Ditto for nitro, unless the optic gets whacked with a sledgehammer.

Battery life will be solved eventually when new tech pops up, either in the holo itself, or with new battery tech. Switching to CR123's makes sense for the military, whom uses a shit ton of gear that runs on CR123's. For civilian usage, Eotech should've come up with an rechargeable battery pack that has contacts kept perpendicular to the weapon's recoil. This would allow them to maximize runtime and reliability.

For now, I like the 512 with Centura LSD's and some minor mods to the battery box.

I'd greatly prefer to be able to simply turn the optic on, then turn it off when I'm putting it up; auto-on and auto-off are a "Murphy's Law" incident just waiting to happen. Fucking Mepro Tru-Dot did that shit to me.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:51:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I sent mine in for the refund.

They knew about the problem, and didn't come clean about it.

Three of my kids are in the service.
One Soldier and Two Airmen.

All I could think about was a friendly fire accident...
And one of them would get hurt.

FUCK EOTECH.
View Quote
I'm not sure if that would be the optics fault.

I mean, you do know that thermal drift occurs in other optics and instruments, right?
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:07:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Don't hate 'em at all. Like my 512s
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 1:58:59 AM EDT
[#34]
I'm tempted to give one a try if I can find one guaranteed to be one of the newer models.  I just wonder if the QD mount on the EXPS version is any good (since its built-in) as I have never found any lever type QD mount acceptable and I've tried almost all of them.

The XPS has the knob on the side and I kind of hate things like that that add to the silhouette or "snaginess" of the weapon.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:02:47 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I'm tempted to give one a try if I can find one guaranteed to be one of the newer models.  I just wonder if the QD mount on the EXPS version is any good (since its built-in) as I have never found any lever type QD mount acceptable and I've tried almost all of them.

The XPS has the knob on the side and I kind of hate things like that that add to the silhouette or "snaginess" of the weapon.
View Quote
The lever mount on the Exps is awesome. It’s almost completely smooth when closed, nothing to snag.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 4:29:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

The lever mount on the Exps is awesome. It’s almost completely smooth when closed, nothing to snag.
View Quote
The form factor does look nice, I just wonder how secure it is.  I've yet to find a QD system that satisfied me to the same extent as "fixed" or "screw on" or "clamp on" systems.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 7:38:04 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Don't hate 'em at all. Like my 512s
View Quote
FiL's 512 has a battery drain issue.  Between that and an already bad battery life, it turned me off even more than the issues you can find internet browsing
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#38]
The form factor does look nice, I just wonder how secure it is. I've yet to find a QD system that satisfied me to the same extent as "fixed" or "screw on" or "clamp on" systems.
View Quote
It's solid. Very solid. It isn't going to move if it's adjusted right.
Link Posted: 5/15/2018 11:57:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

It's solid. Very solid. It isn't going to move if it's adjusted right.
View Quote
agree it has a very wide range of adjustment and the adjustments themselves are so small I can't imagine there being a picatinny type rail it couldn't clamp onto tightly.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 10:42:35 AM EDT
[#40]
I just bought an eotech XPS 2-0, I don’t really care for night vision or QD mount, I’m not going to take the optic on and off over and over again, I’m not worried about the optic failing, but if it does I’ll be sure to post pictures here and how their customer service treats me.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 12:50:46 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I mean, you do know that thermal drift occurs in other optics and instruments, right?
View Quote
Sure.  Thermal drift occurs on any optic due to expansion of physical materials.  THE PROBLEM WITH EOTECH IS MUCH BIGGER THAN THIS.

WHY?

When the temperature returns to normal, the Eotech zero does not go to its original position.

Bad.  Very bad.

Plus, they lied.  With that and ALL their other documented problems, you would have to have no respect for yourself to buy one of their products.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 5:00:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a 512 for awhile, it was cool.  Loved my EXPS3.  Was sad when the news broke and ended up finally sending it back, figured I'd buy another one day when the problems went away.

But yeah, I don't think there's been any official resolution, just that they will make repairs under warranty as usual.

I like a reticle more than just a dot, but I probably just need to go shoot more with a dot.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 6:35:20 PM EDT
[#43]
I have used them for years and I prefer Aimpoints over them for numerous reasons.  I don't hate them but I don't care for them.  I would take them over iron sights but that's about it for me given my experience with them.
Link Posted: 5/16/2018 11:25:06 PM EDT
[#44]
Yes.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:56:35 AM EDT
[#45]
I posted back in this thread on 4/3/2018.

I got the new EXPS3-0TAN for my SCAR16 and after 600 rounds I love it. I love it just as much as I loved my first one.

I don't care what anyone says, any optic with a curved lens creates distortion whether it be Aimpoint, Vortex, Holosun, or Truglo. The EOTech doesn't have that symptom. That's why in my opinion, it's the superior true 1x red dot.

Now maybe one day if Trijicon can create an EOTech like RDS with tritium and fiber optic and no curvature to the sense, then we would have the ultimate winner. But until that day (in my opinion) EOTech still reigns supreme.

Edit: Addressing complaints in this thread

Battery drain: I keep extra batteries on hand and my SF M300V uses the same battery, so I need them anyway. NV doesn't work without batteries, so it's a non-issue for me.

Delamination: If it breaks, L3 will fix it. If it breaks during a SHTF scenario, I salvage the battery for my weapon light and throw my Razor on the rifle. If I'm unable to do that, I have iron sights until I can scavenge another optic.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:08:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I've been doing searches to see if anyone using the latest "improved" model with the new logo has had an issue.

Strangely, I can't find many reviews or anything on them so I wonder if they are not being bought in the quantity they were  before the hiatus was put on sales during the drama?

PSA has them in stock at the lowest price from a reputable dealer (will not take a risk on Amazon to save 20-25 bucks and maybe get a fake) so I'm really tempted if they respond to my email that what they have in stock is the new and improved unit.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 9:33:29 AM EDT
[#47]
I just purchased a new model XPS 2-0, it will be delivered today from Arms Unlimited, I’m taking 2 carbine courses this summer I’ll be sure to post updates here about how the optic is fairing.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I've got an EXPS 2-2 (new logo), only ~120 rds so far but I'm digging it.  AP on my other rigs, so new ball game for me. Wasn't sure how I'd like it but impressed thus far.
View Quote
Poor logic.  It is like saying you have had unprotected group sex 3 times and you are STD free.

Fine.  Nothing bad has happened yet.  But, the odds are against you in the long run.
Link Posted: 5/18/2018 2:26:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Just got my “new” 2013 made eotech from Arms Unlimited it is not a new model and it will not turn on. Tried calling Arms Unlimited with no answer during their business hours. Both hood screws are stripped, I have sent Arms Unlimited an email, will keep y’all posted.

They just issued my an RMA number, I will be contacting eotech Monday to see if I can get an exchange
Page / 6
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top