User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Link Posted: 1/31/2018 11:33:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

False choice, anyone here can clearly both a) not accept that and b) make all the comments they want. In any event, the OP is having trouble justifying the added expense of high-priced BUISs. As such, a discussion on whether or not that expense is a necessary one at all is clearly within bounds.

The Danial Defense fixed front is a great sight, and can be had on sale or with a discount code for about $50. Every once in a while I see them in the $40-ish range on the EE.

For the rear, poly magpuls are prolly the cheapest rear I would run, but I like the Magpul Pro LRs much more. $70-90, but they are really nice sights. These (metal) options give me the confidence that they are sufficiently durable to function as backup sights....and they aren't $200 combined either.

I do feel the OPs frustration with this. It's annoying that you can get a nice BCG, which has MUCH higher materials/machining costs, for less than the price of a nice rear sight. It's regular old economics, of course, everyone (that wants an AR) has to have a BCG...but just a sliver of that population invests in nice back up sights. Massive scale advantage for the BCG. Still, it's annoying. I pretty much never feel like I got a 'good value' when I buy backup sights. Not like I do when I buy a rail or stock or grip or whatever. Muzzle devices are similar to the sights in a lot of ways. "what do you mean a 1" Battlecomp costs $150?!"
View Quote
lol, false. That is not what the OP wrote.

Is critical thinking being replaced by selective listening??

You do you. I'll keep doing me. And me thinks from actual experience that a BUIS is needed on my guns. Are you paying for his stuff? Alright then
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:lol, false. That is not what the OP wrote.

You do you. I'll keep doing me. And me thinks from actual experience that a BUIS is needed on my guns. Are you paying for his stuff? Alright then
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:lol, false. That is not what the OP wrote.

Here is exactly what the OP wrote. Also, reference the title of the thread. What in this thread has been so out of bounds again?

...I'm definitely suffering some sticker shock. Seems the least expensive for something better than Airsoft quality is around $60, and from there, it goes straight to $200+. Seems excessive, or am I just been a tight wad?
Nice tactical retreat to the "you do you" position though, after very clearly telling other people exactly what they should be saying and believing (ref. 'accept this or stfu').

In any event, I'm not paying for his stuff...but the OP is CLEARLY questioning the value proposition. He isn't just saying "I want BUIS, recommend some cheap ones," at least, that's not what he's typing. If that is what he's trying to say, his thread title is highly questionable. Without being a mind reader, I'm going to take his comments at face value. In any event, there isn't a lack of tech, examples of sub-$200 BUIS that have, in my experience, worked well were mentioned.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:47:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Here is exactly what the OP wrote. Also, reference the title of the thread. What in this thread has been so out of bounds again?

Nice tactical retreat to the "you do you" position though, after very clearly telling other people exactly what they should be saying and believing (ref. 'accept this or stfu').

In any event, I'm not paying for his stuff...but the OP is CLEARLY questioning the value proposition. He isn't just saying "I want BUIS, recommend some cheap ones," at least, that's not what he's typing. If that is what he's trying to say, his thread title is highly questionable. Without being a mind reader, I'm going to take his comments at face value. In any event, there isn't a lack of tech, examples of sub-$200 BUIS that have, in my experience, worked well were mentioned.
View Quote
You were saying it's not needed.

You don't need a tl;dr to figure out the rest.

You're making this harder than it really needs to be.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:52:29 AM EDT
[#4]
USed Magpul MBUS on EE or Ruger Rapid Deploy poly sights on Ebay

They are BACK UP sights, don't over think it and don't over spend.

Or, just carry a spare battery or two with you and don't have any back up sights.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:24:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
...Or, just carry a spare battery or two with you and don't have any back up sights.
View Quote
Because all electronic failures are due to the battery. [/sarcasm]
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 10:25:20 AM EDT
[#6]
I look at back up sights the same as motorcycle helmets , they are the cheapest insurance you will ever buy .
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 11:46:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I'm  a jerk know it all, but I like to help people when I can.

You don't need a buis, especially when me only has a million dollars in the bank.. I mean who, I mean me needs that kind of added expense. Not they.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 12:54:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Guys!  I wasn't trying to start a shitstorm, the question was simply WHY are they so expensive, especially compared to the other parts of these Lego rifles.  Hell, I just recently bought a new upper, about $200 sans BCG, or about the same as a lot of sight sets.  Just struck me as weird.

My thanks for all the responses.  The no BUIS philosophy got me thinking, not unreasonable in my circumstances as my AR is pretty much a range toy.  I have a PA RDS on it now, that works well enough that a man size target out to 200 yards, maybe more, is going to have a really bad day.  If I HAD to use it for HD, point shooting would be more than adequate, no sights needed.  Plus, with the exception of my old Marlin lever action, all my other rifles are scope only, no back-ups.  And if this new upper proves to be as accurate as I'm hoping, the red dot will go back on the old upper and this one will get a scope, so again, no BUIS needed.

All that said, these things don't look right without back-ups, but, at least in my case, they really aren't a necessity.  So again, my thanks to all.  Later.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:You were saying it's not needed.
View Quote
That's actually not at all what I said. Maybe other people did, but not me. I mentioned what I use, and I also mentioned that an option could be to invest the $200 that would go to BUIS and in a more durable optic instead. It's certainly arguable, for example, that an aimpoint T1 is more durable than a PA advanced RDS and some BUIS combos. Not in all cases, but a case could be made. That said, since I use BUISs on many of my own guns (the only optic-only long guns I own are ultralight ARs and one bolt action rifle), it's pretty obvious that I'm not a flag waving optics-only guy. I just said it's an option, which it obviously is, in response to the high prices that BUIS command. If cost/weight were no object, I'd run backups on everything. Since they are often a factor to some degree, there are circumstances where a person might not care to invest the $. I spend a lot on range toys, but not everyone wants to spend $200 on a range toy for an accessory they don't feel they will use. OP doesn't, and that's cool with me...and it should be cool with you to, and yet here we are.
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:06:16 PM EDT
[#10]
I wonder, what is the cost of a single trip to the range (gasoline, mileage, etc) only to find your optic is dead?
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 6:23:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I wonder, what is the cost of a single trip to the range (gasoline, mileage, etc) only to find your optic is dead?
View Quote
4 miles
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 8:56:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
What’s the cost of checking red dot prior to going?

Or, spend the $100 on the flip sights on a quality optic instead.

Or, bring some extra batteries.

Not saying back up sights aren’t useful, but you won’t spontaneously combust if they aren’t on your range gun. People shouldn’t think they NEED them, but they aren’t bad to have. Personally, I don’t have room on my gun with PEQ and pressure pad for flip ups. Some of my personal guns have them, but I’m pretty confident in my AP R1.

And many special operations types I’ve talked to aren’t even using them anymore. Combat grade optics are just as if not more durable than flip up iron/poly sights
Link Posted: 2/1/2018 9:38:11 PM EDT
[#13]
My rifles need them.

Any person who thinks otherwise what we shouldn't or should need doesn't know a thing at all about individual  personal experiences or subjectives.

We all shoot our rifles. Some more than others while some less than what they're leading us to believe. That's one disconnect that people have here, thinking that they're the only person qualified to tell us things.

I've got 29 years of shooting the M16 and AR15. I do know what I need and what I don't need. That still doesn't prove a thing that I will know what's best for everyone else. That's the other disconnect people have here. So many years of doing this doesn't add up to telling others what they should or should not have on their guns.

Money. Some have it while some do not. It's their money and we have no place telling others how to spend it on their guns unless they ask. Another disconnect. I own 12 AR's. Probably too small a number for some while too much for the minimalist. I'm not buying 12 ACOG's or 12 Aimpoints. It's okay to get a Vortex Sparc AR or a Strike Eagle on some of them while some do have an ACOG or an Aimpoint of some kind. And they all have BUIS's on them. My rifles need them. Yours may not but you also need to stay in your lane. Not even negotiable.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
4 miles
View Quote
You're a lucky dog!  For me it's 120 miles round trip that takes from 3 to 6 hours of drive time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:01:08 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What’s the cost of checking red dot prior to going?

Or, spend the $100 on the flip sights on a quality optic instead.

Or, bring some extra batteries.

Not saying back up sights aren’t useful, but you won’t spontaneously combust if they aren’t on your range gun. People shouldn’t think they NEED them, but they aren’t bad to have. Personally, I don’t have room on my gun with PEQ and pressure pad for flip ups. Some of my personal guns have them, but I’m pretty confident in my AP R1.

And many special operations types I’ve talked to aren’t even using them anymore. Combat grade optics are just as if not more durable than flip up iron/poly sights
View Quote
That's not dealing with the failure of the sight itself.  It's not just the batteries.

The sights (plural) that failed me were "ruggedized", "combat-tested", "issued to out troops",... It was the red dot hardware that failed, not just the batteries (although that happened, too).

With this latest RDS failure, all my rifles now have BUIS.  Sucky though they may be, the sights were free (NOS, unused parts in my parts box).
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:29:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I don't know why they're so expensive, but I won't not have them on a gun.

MBUS will do you nicely. My Troy and DD fixed ones are good too. Nothing wrong with a fixed front and rear with a RDS.
Link Posted: 2/2/2018 12:54:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I don't know why they're so expensive, but I won't not have them on a gun.

MBUS will do you nicely. My Troy and DD fixed ones are good too. Nothing wrong with a fixed front and rear with a RDS.
View Quote
I like the fixed front and fixed rear on many of my rifles/pistols with an RDS.

As to the expense question......... I don't know. It seems like a good bit of parts for AR's/etc are way more expensive than they should be. That goes for BUIS, so many optic mounts, certain charging handles, etc.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 7:06:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I run a FSB and DD fixed rear on my patrol rifle. They're always up just in case my optic fails. I've made it my personal rule that when I qualify with my patrol rifle, to use irons only. Hell, 90% of my rifle quals in the army was with irons. I laughed when dudes couldn't get expert with an ACOG. Right now I'm running a UH1 and it's been good to go thus far. I may switch back to my Micro T-1. Either way, if my shit goes down, I've got fixed sights ready to go.

If you want fixed, go DD. KAC or Troy for folding. Buy once, cry once. You'll be thankful that your shit works when you need it most.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 9:19:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
They cost what the market will bear.
View Quote
That goes for everything.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:18:26 AM EDT
[#20]
I used to put BUIS on all my rifles and would have been displeased without them.  Now that I am more familiar with ACOGs and Aimpoints and various mounting options I trust them enough that I don't worry about BUIS.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 4:20:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Definitely wanted flip-ups, but had about convinced myself I could do with out in my situation, especially after failing at trying to order the MBUS set with the PSA deal.  For some reason, the site kept running me around in circles, demanded that I customize my order, but didn't give me any customization options .  For some reason, I decided to check in at PSA again this morning, still had the same deal going, and this time it went through.  So I have a set on the way, whether I need them or not.  Thanks again for all the suggestions.  Later.

Dave
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:35:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Just as an observation, I'd wager to say that BUIS are the one rifle accessory that has the highest adoption and lowest use rate in the AR world.
View Quote
This.

I put a set of offsets on my 3-gun rifle just to save a second here or there on magnification transitions.  Otherwise I have no use for them.

Most of us would be better off putting that money towards a higher quality primary optic.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:35:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I recently had a reticle come loose (I go to look through it and reticle was atc45 degrees and shakes around like it's loose). It was on an optics only AR that I had built for hunting. I thought " man, that would suck to happen on a guided hunt I'd payed good money for" so now I just put A.R.M.S. 71l buis on it today. I also just put a gg&g MAD BUIS on another m4 that previacly only had an optic. No scense ending a hunting trip early because the optic fails.

The cheapest acceptable buis I found are utg. They aren't great, but they seem to be servicable. Springfield uses a utg rear buis on the saint. They're $20. I have that sight and the matching from on one gun that I only use optics on. I also have a utg fixed from sight (lmt clone) on one rifle that is irons only.
View Quote
What optic?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:37:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Ever had your batteries die, before during or after a match?  Preventative maintenance really helps avoid this but I thought I'd ask.  Is replacing them part of your pre-match prep?

Personally, I am so sensitized to red dot failures because of my EOTech experiences, I don't trust any of them ...
but my Aimpoint just keeps cranking along   .
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
been driving since 1986. Had 2 flats total. been in 1 accident. Never deployed a airbag.
never had to use my BUIS because my optic broke.

Been shooting AR's 25 years.

Always take 2 identical rifles to every match... Thats way cheaper than a $80 MBUS set.
Ever had your batteries die, before during or after a match?  Preventative maintenance really helps avoid this but I thought I'd ask.  Is replacing them part of your pre-match prep?

Personally, I am so sensitized to red dot failures because of my EOTech experiences, I don't trust any of them ...
but my Aimpoint just keeps cranking along   .
I generally am using an etched reticle.

I guess if I did take my red dot equipped gun to a match I might go ahead and throw in a new battery if it had been a while.  Current battery has only been in a month or two.
Link Posted: 2/12/2018 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
You can get all-metal TROY BUIS for right around $100.  I have TROY and YHM.  IMO, both are quite good.
View Quote
I'm guessing you must be referring to the fixed (non folding) sights, I've seen them for around $120-130 for the set.  The folding Troy BUIS are usually $100 a piece for a $200 or more set.  You can sometimes find them on sale as low as $90 but that's still $180 a set.  I've used the Troy folding buis for years and I agree with you, they are quite good.
Link Posted: 2/17/2018 11:58:00 PM EDT
[#26]
For cheap BUIS, I’ve had great results from both the Magpul MBUS and the Fab Defense flip ups.

The Magpuls are spring loaded and lock upright while the Fab Defense are a friction lock. Both work well. I do prefer the Fab Defense front sight’s thumb wheel adjuster over the Magpul which just uses friction on the sight post, although the Magpul can be swapped with aftermarket posts.

I also run a Troy DOA rear flip up. Costs more, but it’s a nice metal sight that folds flatter than the poly rear flip ups.

I ran one of the older UTG GI type metal rear flip up, after a few trips it would fold under recoil.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:00:09 AM EDT
[#27]
Not expensive at all.

Knights 600m flip up $50
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 12:18:27 AM EDT
[#28]
the OP hasnt posted in a week, but if anyone needs a MBUS, PSA has the sets for about 50 bucks right now.
 code mbusset takes 43 off of the price.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:30:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Not expensive at all.

Knights 600m flip up $50
View Quote
Has anyone verified that these are not fakes?  That's a damn good price!
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:53:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not expensive at all.

Knights 600m flip up $50
No clue but the vendor is a site sponsor so I feel inclined to trust them.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 2:43:29 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Not expensive at all.

Knights 600m flip up $50
View Quote
dang, hell of a price. Had to order! thanks for posting this.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:19:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not expensive at all.

Knights 600m flip up $50
USMC KAC sights are stolen gov't property. That's why you will see tons on eBay with few folks touching them compared to other KAC sights.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:27:31 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
USMC KAC sights are stolen gov't property. That's why you will see tons on eBay with few folks touching them compared to other KAC sights.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not expensive at all.

Knights 600m flip up $50
Are you suggesting that this vendor is selling stolen property?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:35:37 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Probably not knowingly. But straight from the horse's mouth:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/USMC_Marked_KAC_Micro_Rear_Sights__verification_they_are_all_Gov_Property__/381-227893/

Why would these sights sell for half of what other KAC rear sights sell for?
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:47:20 AM EDT
[#35]
These are decent.
Aero for $99 shipped
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:49:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/industry/USMC_Marked_KAC_Micro_Rear_Sights__verification_they_are_all_Gov_Property__/381-227893/

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It says they are used.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 11:49:56 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You know if this was a eBay vendor or someone one the EE with a couple, I could believe that but I doubt a vendor would get enough of these to list and them be stolen.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
It says they are used.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It says they are used.
Of course they are used. They are from the USMC. The point I was making is other USED KAC rear sights sell for $100+ every day. Why would these sell for half?

Quoted:
You know if this was a eBay vendor or someone one the EE with a couple, I could believe that but I doubt a vendor would get enough of these to list and them be stolen.
There have been dealers on eBay selling tons of these for years. KB mentioned in 2011 that 250K of these sights had been provided. There are plenty to go around.

Listen, I don't really care what you guys do. You can probably buy these all day and never get a knock at the door. But when KB and Trey are calling them stolen, I think I would listen.

Link Posted: 2/20/2018 3:08:19 PM EDT
[#39]
This is why I don't jump on these deals or trades when they look to be stolen USGI property.

I once bought 10 Matechs for $10 each and had no shame because the seller was DRMO. Got a few ACOG's that way too. But it was legal and legit.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 5:00:26 PM EDT
[#40]
contact ar15.com HQ and have the vendor banned if they are doing something unethical/illegal.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:02:11 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
contact ar15.com HQ and have the vendor banned if they are doing something unethical/illegal.
View Quote
Or you know if you are concern about a product, reach out to the vendor and get any clarification you need. THEN... if it turns out to be shady contact the site owners.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:27:16 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Or you know if you are concern about a product, reach out to the vendor and get any clarification you need. THEN... if it turns out to be shady contact the site owners.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
doing that right now.
Link Posted: 2/20/2018 7:43:09 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
doing that right now.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
doing that right now.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 6:17:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
doing that right now.
this was their answer.

Sometimes the military has surplus sales when they no longer use certain items. These were acquired through a surplus sale
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:44:32 PM EDT
[#45]
sounds legit to me.
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
sounds legit to me.
View Quote
then why are they using stock pictures from a ebay seller?
Link Posted: 2/21/2018 8:33:01 PM EDT
[#47]
because it's faster than taking them yourself and then uploading/hosting? I dunno, but that'd be my guess. It's prolly a low profit margin item. Putting in extra work on it might not be worth their time.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 12:59:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
been driving since 1986. Had 2 flats total. been in 1 accident. Never deployed a airbag.
never had to use my BUIS because my optic broke.

Been shooting AR's 25 years.

Always take 2 identical rifles to every match... Thats way cheaper than a $80 MBUS set.
View Quote
This man has a clue.
Link Posted: 2/22/2018 1:13:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

This man has a clue.
View Quote
So do us that have BUIS's on our rifles.

Link Posted: 2/23/2018 10:20:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top