AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/13/2018 8:16:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Now that a few of you guys have them, hows the eye box in real world shooting scenarios?  Any shot any matches yet?
View Quote
no matches for me but at 1x the eye box is pretty nice. 8x it kinda sucks but i was sorta expecting that.
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:16:47 PM EDT
[#2]
battery life is my only complaint, already had to replace it
Link Posted: 4/15/2018 3:29:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
battery life is my only complaint, already had to replace it
https://i.imgur.com/ytSiQ1V.jpg
View Quote
how much usage?

at max setting?

i accidentally left mine on max a few days and battery is still good.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:52:18 AM EDT
[#4]
What size Tenebraex scope covers for the 1-8? I don't wanna get butler creeks and can't find a definitive answer as to the sizes I'll need.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What size Tenebraex scope covers for the 1-8? I don't wanna get butler creeks and can't find a definitive answer as to the sizes I'll need.
View Quote
The ATACR comes with Tenebraex covers.
Link Posted: 5/4/2018 4:42:24 PM EDT
[#6]
The NX8 is definitely a hot piece of glass with that form factor/capability combination.

The ATACR also looks great, but that price point puts it in a whole new bracket. I would've liked to see a dual focal plane setup with beam splitters to match its competition.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve owned plenty of 1-4 and 1-6 and a few 1-8’s. This is my two cents on theses systems. They are trying to manufacture a multi rolle scope that fits multi weapons.to me every single one of these 1-8 fall short in one manner or another. Illumination, battery life,  not a true 1x, poor light transmission, poor field of view, to heavy, capped or uncapped turrets, turrets mushy, reticle this or that etc.

For companies and end users it’s like chasing that leporcahn to the end of the rainbow only to find out the pot of gold really wasn’t big enough to pay for the excursion to find it!

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:54:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I’ve owned plenty of 1-4 and 1-6 and a few 1-8’s. This is my two cents on theses systems. They are trying to manufacture a multi rolle scope that fits multi weapons.to me every single one of these 1-8 fall short in one manner or another. Illumination, battery life,  not a true 1x, poor light transmission, poor field of view, to heavy, capped or uncapped turrets, turrets mushy, reticle this or that etc.

For companies and end users it’s like chasing that leporcahn to the end of the rainbow only to find out the pot of gold really wasn’t big enough to pay for the excursion to find it!

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187307/90489843-CF7B-45D7-A3AA-34B8BDBFFB09-539137.JPG
View Quote
NEWS FLASH:

Every optic is a compromise in one way or another!  There is NO perfect optic that covers all the bases.  Every person has to pick the optic that best suits his needs and requirements.  And in that arena, these new Nightforce offerings cover a lot of bases.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:06:35 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

NEWS FLASH:

Every optic is a compromise in one way or another!  There is NO perfect optic that covers all the bases.  Every person has to pick the optic that best suits his needs and requirements.  And in that arena, these new Nightforce offerings cover a lot of bases.
View Quote
I agree with you but th masses are looking for that one optic and the manufactures continue to release the one optic that fits the multi role. I just assume have multiple rifles or uppers for the multiple roles. Just my 2 cents is all. Seems like that 2x jump over a 1-6 line really is a difficult endeavor.
Link Posted: 5/19/2018 12:19:43 AM EDT
[#10]
So not to burst anyone’s bubble, but I just got an atacr and nx8, and the illumination of the atacr is inferior to the nx8. Atacr at 10 is nx8 at 6. Is it bright enough? Still trying to decide. With all the hype and being made feel the atacr was better in every aspect, it’s a bit disappointing.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:10:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

how much usage?

at max setting?

i accidentally left mine on max a few days and battery is still good.
View Quote
around half power, left on for less than 2 weeks. looked up batt life and it disappointed me
quote from manual "A fresh battery will last approximately 29 hours at the brightest
illumination setting."
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 2:10:51 AM EDT
[#12]
Man, I'm wondering if I should sell my ACOG to fund a NX8 thanks to this thread.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 10:17:21 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have any idea if the AADmount flip caps are available for the NX8 yet? Or would the AAD caps made for the NXS 1-4 work?
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 12:32:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone have any idea if the AADmount flip caps are available for the NX8 yet? Or would the AAD caps made for the NXS 1-4 work?
View Quote
Excellent Question!  I'm hoping for something more durable the Butler Creek's.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Or would the AAD caps made for the NXS 1-4 work?
View Quote
They will
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 11:56:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Anyone know best deal on NX8 right now?

Optics planet quoted $1,564, Kenzies has 10% off & free ship, eurooptic out of stock.

Sounds like there's a lot of room in these below MAP.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 11:58:37 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 6/11/2018 12:00:36 AM EDT
[#18]
YES

sr25 and nightforce

a match made in heaven.

im dumb and stupid and only have an sr15

Link Posted: 6/11/2018 6:43:56 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

YES

sr25 and nightforce

a match made in heaven.

im dumb and stupid and only have an sr15

https://i.imgur.com/rjQqAbL.jpg
View Quote
Nope. Not at all. That's a great looking rig.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 6:12:46 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So not to burst anyone’s bubble, but I just got an atacr and nx8, and the illumination of the atacr is inferior to the nx8. Atacr at 10 is nx8 at 6. Is it bright enough? Still trying to decide. With all the hype and being made feel the atacr was better in every aspect, it’s a bit disappointing.
View Quote
My findings based on comparisons to a Mark 6 it's replacing:

So after running the ATACR and having had the opportunity to compare it to the Mark 6, I definitely feel the ATACR is the overall better optic and superior in several areas. One item to note up front is that the ATACR, like most LPVOs, is not a true 1x, and I did detect some slight magnification at the low end, so essentially it's more or less a 1.1-8x. Whereas the Mark 6 appears to be more of a true 1x in terms of what you're seeing when looking through the glass. Shocking I know. However, I suspect this would not be a deciding factor for most people, and it is easily overlooked when you consider the other areas where the ATACR shines.

At 1x there is virtually no edge distortion in the ATACR, whereas it is noticeably visible on the Mark 6, and this holds true across the power band. I compared each optic at 6x, and the ATACR appeared to have slightly more magnification (read: slightly less FOV), but the optical clarity was superior to the Mark 6. I was able to make out finer details when viewing objects at a distance, and the image appeared brighter and the colors had more pop. At the low end the ATACR clearly had the larger eyebox, which translated into being more forgiving when set at their respective max power settings. Chromatic aberration was more prominent on the ATACR at 8x, but I've yet to come across any top tier optic that doesn't display this to include the likes of S&B, Kahles, etc. Nevertheless, it's not as sensitive to slight head movements as the Mark 6 at max power. Bottom line, the ATACR proved to be the better optic throughout the power range.

The Mark 6 is known for it's nice DLV illumination (but suffers from "flicker" due it being eye-alignment sensitive and not very forgiving as it relates to consistent head positioning), and the reticle illumination on the ATACR at setting 9 was equal to the Mark 6 at its highest setting (7). The FC-DM was "ludicrous daylight visible" when turned up to max power (10), which didn't wash out even against the brightest daytime backdrop. The ATACR also features additional NV reticle brightness settings, giving it even more of an advantage over the Mark 6. I spent Sunday high up in the Rocky Mountains engaging targets at varying ranges (200-500) and had absolutely no problems making consistent hits on steel plates at 500 yards against a wooded backdrop without having to use any illumination at all.

The elevation and windage adjustments are much more refined on the ATACR, crushing the Mark 6 in this area as well. Very positive click adjustments, similar to an S&B in feel, but more refined audibly, and I harbor no doubts that it tracks true (although I did not test tracking). The CMR-W and FC-DM are pretty much equal in capability in my opinion. I really like both, but a slight edge goes to the ATACR for execution considering the thinner mil hashes and a more refined sectioned cross hair, which does a better job of drawing your eye to the center segmented circle. Weighing in at 6 oz. heavier than the Mark 6, the ATACR feels much more robust, yet does not necessarily feel that much heavier than the Mark 6. The weight difference did not affect the balance of the rifle at all (SR25 ACC). The ATACR gets bonus points for the added PTL and beauty rings if you decide to run it uncapped.

To be perfectly fair, the Mark 6 is still a very capable scope, and the fact that it can still hold it's own against the ATACR is a testament to it's design. However, the ATACR takes it to another level overall, refining the areas where the Mark 6 could use improvement, and I personally feel it's worth the price of admission.

ETA 12 June: Just a real quick update, but earlier today I was messing around with the diopter adjustment and noticed that the slight magnification at 1x went away and it appeared to be a true 1x after all. Weird because I didn't feel the need to mess around with it as the reticle appeared to be in perfect focus. Charlie Mike!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:40:44 AM EDT
[#21]
Was your diopter adjusted correctly? That can create a perceived magnification distortion. I've played with several ATACRs and they've all been true 1x.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 9:22:58 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Was your diopter adjusted correctly? That can create a perceived magnification distortion. I've played with several ATACRs and they've all been true 1x.
View Quote
Huge +1 to that.

I think that there is a fundamental lack of understanding, combined with a bad job within the optics industry in explaining explaining exactly what the diopter adjustment does. Yeah, it is for focusing the reticle to your eye - but how it does that and the cause/affect of doing so isn't explained - I think anywhere. Adjusting the diopter can cause a slight increase, as well as decrease in the magnification of an optic, depending on the amount of adjustment required. It happens at all magnifications regardless of scope manufacturer, but is especially visible at 1x.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 1:54:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
That could be the case. I'll take another look when I RTB homestation. Charlie Mike.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:30:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Huge +1 to that.

I think that there is a fundamental lack of understanding, combined with a bad job within the optics industry in explaining explaining exactly what the diopter adjustment does. Yeah, it is for focusing the reticle to your eye - but how it does that and the cause/affect of doing so isn't explained - I think anywhere. Adjusting the diopter can cause a slight increase, as well as decrease in the magnification of an optic, depending on the amount of adjustment required. It happens at all magnifications regardless of scope manufacturer, but is especially visible at 1x.
View Quote
Everyone’s eyes are different. Some will perceive 1x. Others will perceive 1.1. The atacr and nx8 are he first lpvo that don’t give me double vision when I look through them at 1x.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:40:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Huge +1 to that.

View Quote
Just a real quick update, but earlier today I was messing around with the diopter adjustment and noticed that the slight magnification at 1x went away and it appeared to be a true 1x after all. Weird because I didn't feel the need to mess around with it as the reticle appeared to be in perfect focus. Charlie Mike!
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:41:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Everyone’s eyes are different. Some will perceive 1x. Others will perceive 1.1. The atacr and nx8 are he first lpvo that don’t give me double vision when I look through them at 1x.
View Quote
In this case the sight adjustment of the diopter seemed to correct what I initially perceived. But I agree.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 4:47:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huge +1 to that.

Call it perception if you will, but the fact of the matter is that adjusting the diopter does have an effect on magnification. How much of an effect depends entirely on how much it's adjusted.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:27:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Call it perception if you will, but the fact of the matter is that adjusting the diopter does have an effect on magnification. How much of an effect depends entirely on how much it's adjusted.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huge +1 to that.

Correct. My point was where everyone perceives the reticle to be clear or perceives zero eye strain at 1x is going to be different. This leads it to be set at a different 1x magnification for different people. Cheers
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 5:48:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Correct. My point was where everyone perceives the reticle to be clear or perceives zero eye strain at 1x is going to be different. This leads it to be set at a different 1x magnification for different people. Cheers
View Quote
True. Just asked a buddy of mine to take a look through his ATACR at 1x and report his findings. I suppose it's also important to note that some objects that are closer will appear slightly larger (1.1x), while objects a bit farther away will appear as if there's no magnification at all (true 1x). At least that's what I've observed.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:46:49 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Anyone know best deal on NX8 right now?

Optics planet quoted $1,564, Kenzies has 10% off & free ship, eurooptic out of stock.

Sounds like there's a lot of room in these below MAP.
View Quote
I got mine from erooptic a month ago for $1540 shipped. But you have to call or use the chat feature and a sales rep will call you. To get that price.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 8:50:21 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 6/13/2018 8:11:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Anybody know the Butler Creek sizes for the NX8?
Link Posted: 6/14/2018 8:25:11 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anybody know the Butler Creek sizes for the NX8?
View Quote
I think they're the same as the NXS 1-4:  13 eye; 2A obj.
Link Posted: 6/18/2018 5:28:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top