Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/23/2017 4:31:44 AM EDT
Thinking about picking up another ACOG (unfortunately will probably miss the rebate deadlines), and am leaning towards the LED version as it just seems to be a better choice in the long run given the cost of tritium replacement.  

Im probably going to lean towards the 4x32 as thats what I have currently, though it would be nice to have extra eye relief.  Main question is which has less blooming in sunlight, red or green?  Or is it the same.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 4:36:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure.

I can say that I have used ACOGs in the military and target shooting. Very happy with my LED ACOG... actually prefer it.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
It's fully adjustable, you can dial it up and it'll bloom like crazy but you can see it staring into the sun. Dial it down and it won't bloom. I prefer the LED ACOG for that reason, complete control over the illumination more than worrying about tritium replacment. I have the TA02 with red crosshairs, they make it now in all the recitcles and I'm tempted to sell it and get a horseshoe.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:31:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Yes, Red Chevron.

Adjustable, no blooming.

My favorite personal possession, highly recommended.

(Do like the horseshoe better.  YMMV)
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 7:30:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I have the 3.5x LED (TA110) with green horseshoe. It's awesome.

The ability to control illumination is the perfect upgrade.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 5:51:41 PM EDT
[#5]
i've had all 3 colors in fiber optic scopes and for me the red blooms less and of course, as others said, its LED so you "dial-a-brightness".

my early TA02 failed and had to send it in for repair. i did like the forward mounting of the RMR though, since i'm a big fan of top mounted RMR's but YMMV as does everyone elses.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 10:13:16 PM EDT
[#6]
BROWE. Thank me later
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:43:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BROWE. Thank me later
View Quote
familiar with them...not sure what the real differences are though.

for the LED's one thing that concerns me is battery leakage.  This won't be an issue with lithium batteries will it?  I'd hate to have a $1200 optic ruined by a one dollar battery
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I'd like to see some thoughts on these as well.  I had no idea these were even a thing now and love that one of the weaknesses of the ACOG were addressed in this manner.

It has been about 10 years since I messed with one, besides the LED option has anything else changed?  Are the 3.5x35 models still the only ones with decent eye relief and FOV?

I see that is one of the options for an LED model too.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 6:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got a Red TA02 4x crosshair.  I also have a couple of Accupowers, 1-8x and 3-9x and the TA02 is brighter at setting 4 (out of 6) than the 1-8x's max setting (11).

Glass is very clear and reticle is easy to see..even when not illuminated.  At setting 5..there is a little bit of bloom but disappears when looking at a bright background.  Max setting 6, lots of bloom and its about the same brightness as an Aimpoint T2 max setting.  Very happy I got the LED version vs the fiber.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:33:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Thinking about picking up another ACOG (unfortunately will probably miss the rebate deadlines), and am leaning towards the LED version as it just seems to be a better choice in the long run given the cost of tritium replacement.  

Im probably going to lean towards the 4x32 as thats what I have currently, though it would be nice to have extra eye relief.  Main question is which has less blooming in sunlight, red or green?  Or is it the same.
View Quote

My TA02 review FWIW:

Trijicon TA02 ACOG 4x Battery Illuminated LED Combat Optic Review (HD)

My TA110 should be public in the next week or two which will be followed shortly by the Browe review....

Link Posted: 10/27/2017 1:34:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking forward to it.  Ever since I saw your 4x32 LED review I have been pondering a 3.5x35 LED with the Green Chevron/.308 BDC.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 2:43:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I'd like to see some thoughts on these as well.  I had no idea these were even a thing now and love that one of the weaknesses of the ACOG were addressed in this manner.

It has been about 10 years since I messed with one, besides the LED option has anything else changed?  Are the 3.5x35 models still the only ones with decent eye relief and FOV?

I see that is one of the options for an LED model too.
View Quote
Problem with the LED TA11  is the weight. Trijicon specs the weight as 16.8 oz before mount, and they list the TA51 mount at 4 oz. That's nearly 21oz of optic for a fixed 3.5x optic. You can get the same weight with some 1-4x optics and a mount. 
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:14:23 PM EDT
[#13]
I am not a fan of LPVOs.  I don't like playing with the magnification or the different head positions that are ideal at min or max magnification.

I am strange that way---I can't compromise.

I have 9mm and .45 ACP guns.  I have no interest in .40 S&W

I have 5.56 and 7.62 guns.  I have no interest in 6.8 SPC

For optics, I either do a scope (3-20, 5-25, etc) or a red dot.

I do not like optics advertised as "the best of both worlds" (like those ammo choices above) because IMO they are not.  I have not really looked through an ACOG in 10 years though and have starting thinking about one again since there are LED versions now.  I was in the Army when they first started showing up in large numbers (prior to my '02 deployment to Afghanistan) but I was on a machine gun for so long I only looked through them on other people's rifles and have no experience with using them.  Eventually I was issued an M4 but we still had way more M68s than ACOGs at that time.

I currently have a T-2 on a 16" .308 that I have been contemplating one of these LED ACOGs for.  I just hate to buy something only to sell it because it was no good up close.  My local range has targets from point  blank to 500m.  I am pretty comfortable red dots out to 300m, moreso than most these days it seems since the targets are just stationary.

The Elcan SpecterTR 1/3/9 looked promising as a "compromise" optic but it seems like it was DOA.  Have never seen a single full on review, just some anecdotes that it was like looking through a straw (remember the Mark 4 CQ/T?) at 1x.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 3:21:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Sometimes I'll put a strip of electrical tape over the FO and boom, adjustable ;)
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:19:57 PM EDT
[#15]
what does any of that have to do with LED ACOG's? but thanks for your life history of shooting.

Quoted:
I am not a fan of LPVOs.  I don't like playing with the magnification or the different head positions that are ideal at min or max magnification.

I am strange that way---I can't compromise.

I have 9mm and .45 ACP guns.  I have no interest in .40 S&W

I have 5.56 and 7.62 guns.  I have no interest in 6.8 SPC

For optics, I either do a scope (3-20, 5-25, etc) or a red dot.

I do not like optics advertised as "the best of both worlds" (like those ammo choices above) because IMO they are not.  I have not really looked through an ACOG in 10 years though and have starting thinking about one again since there are LED versions now.  I was in the Army when they first started showing up in large numbers (prior to my '02 deployment to Afghanistan) but I was on a machine gun for so long I only looked through them on other people's rifles and have no experience with using them.  Eventually I was issued an M4 but we still had way more M68s than ACOGs at that time.

I currently have a T-2 on a 16" .308 that I have been contemplating one of these LED ACOGs for.  I just hate to buy something only to sell it because it was no good up close.  My local range has targets from point  blank to 500m.  I am pretty comfortable red dots out to 300m, moreso than most these days it seems since the targets are just stationary.

The Elcan SpecterTR 1/3/9 looked promising as a "compromise" optic but it seems like it was DOA.  Have never seen a single full on review, just some anecdotes that it was like looking through a straw (remember the Mark 4 CQ/T?) at 1x.
View Quote
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 4:21:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Sometimes I'll put a strip of electrical tape over the FO and boom, adjustable ;)
View Quote
someone just mentioned making tape to me too.
Link Posted: 10/28/2017 5:32:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
what does any of that have to do with LED ACOG's? but thanks for your life history of shooting.
View Quote
Because the guy was saying why a 1-4 would make more sense than an ACOG.

I explained why LPVOs do not interest me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just got a Red TA02 4x crosshair.  I also have a couple of Accupowers, 1-8x and 3-9x and the TA02 is brighter at setting 4 (out of 6) than the 1-8x's max setting (11).

Glass is very clear and reticle is easy to see..even when not illuminated.  At setting 5..there is a little bit of bloom but disappears when looking at a bright background.  Max setting 6, lots of bloom and its about the same brightness as an Aimpoint T2 max setting.  Very happy I got the LED version vs the fiber.
View Quote
For those that are interested in how bright the TA02 compares with other red dots.  Did a comparison on the TA02 Red Corsshair to the MRO and PA MD-06L...IMHO, here is how they match:  
    TA02 setting 5 and 6 to MRO settings 5 and 6.
    TA02 setting 5 and 6 to PA MD-06L settings 7 and 10/11.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:09:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Looking forward to it.  Ever since I saw your 4x32 LED review I have been pondering a 3.5x35 LED with the Green Chevron/.308 BDC.
View Quote
Here you go

Trijicon 3.5x TA110 ACOG: LED Battery Powered Perfection?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 5:50:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Because the guy was saying why a 1-4 would make more sense than an ACOG.

I explained why LPVOs do not interest me.
View Quote
I own a 1-4...I always keep it at 4...
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 6:09:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Im considering a Primary Arms Platinum 1-8 or an ACOG 4x with PA's ACSS.

If they had an ACSS model that was 3.5x and LED for the longer eye relief Id be considering it.

Personally I like the idea of tritium and fiber optic.

Always on, always ready (until you send it off for a couple days for new tritium after a decade plus).
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 9:30:30 PM EDT
[#22]
I had a Browe that I traded for a DBALD2 because I sold the rifle out from under it (7.62x39 Sig 556R).

I’d buy one again in a heartbeat. IMHO, it’s nicer than an ACOG.
Link Posted: 11/10/2017 8:31:37 PM EDT
[#23]
In my attempt to downsize I ended up with 2 cross hair led acogs Really liked my ta11 and will likely pick up an led version somewhere down the road. I'm impressed thus far with the led acog, but will say I like my old donut of death reticle more so than the cross hair, but they are just different. The led cross hair, when turned up, will bloom like crazy. I can't imagine a situation where you would not be able to see that reticle. It is etched, and on mine at least, there is spill of the light into the edges (tempted to send to trijicon to see if this is a woopsie on their part)
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top