Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2017 8:08:03 PM EDT
I'll start off by saying my eyes are pretty terrible. I have astigmatism and have had a retinal detachment of my dominant eye which makes any RDS, even shooting with both eyes open, an exercise in futility. I am looking for an optic that has the battery life of an aimpoint, an etched reticle like the Spitfire prism, and something I can trust to put on HD/SHTF rifles. Does such a thing exist? If not, what other options should I be looking for? Thanks.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 3:22:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like u should look at a TA-44 or 1-4 LPV
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:15:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like u should look at a TA-44 or 1-4 LPV
View Quote
This.

1x optics and astigmatism don't mix.  Get an optic like a vortex razor with adjustable diopter and enjoy seeing properly.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
Meprolight’s M21 is one of the only astigmatism friendly red dots I’ve found. Not sure on the Trijicon reflex, but I think their tripower worked well too.  Personally I loved my M21. 

Any scooe/eight with diopter adjustment even with ‘zero’ magnification will work as well since you can focus it to your eye and they usually have etched reticles.  Vortex Spitfire, Leupold Prismatic if you can find one, etc. 

@Tomac any thoughts? You’ve played with a lot more than I have. 
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:39:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Meprolight’s M21 is one of the only astigmatism friendly red dots I’ve found. Not sure on the Trijicon reflex, but I think their tripower worked well too.  Personally I loved my M21. 

Any scooe/eight with diopter adjustment even with ‘zero’ magnification will work as well since you can focus it to your eye and they usually have etched reticles.  Vortex Spitfire, Leupold Prismatic if you can find one, etc. 

View Quote
You've pretty well covered it.
I don't know the technical reasons for it, but the M21's reticle is very sharp/crisp for me whereas the typical Eotech/Aimpoint RDS reticle is somewhat distorted. Combat-tough, biggest downsides are weight & reticle washout under certain lighting conditions. However, I wouldn't lose sleep if the M21 was the only optic I had access to.

If Trijicon would brighten the tritium and change the battery type on their Tri-Power, I would seriously reconsider it, astigmatism or no (however, I've asked and they won't... )

Leupold Prismatic & Vortex Spitfire are great for severe astigmatism but suffer from parallax & restricted eyebox.

Astigmatism sucks and restricts your options, but at least there *are* options.

Tomac
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 5:53:52 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I don't know the technical reasons for it, but the M21's reticle is very sharp/crisp for me whereas the typical Eotech/Aimpoint RDS reticle is somewhat distorted. Combat-tough, biggest downsides are weight & reticle washout under certain lighting conditions. However, I wouldn't lose sleep if the M21 was the only optic I had access to.

If Trijicon would brighten the tritium and change the battery type on their Tri-Power, I would seriously reconsider it, astigmatism or no (however, I've asked and they won't... )

Leupold Prismatic & Vortex Spitfire are great for severe astigmatism but suffer from parallax & restricted eyebox.

Tomac
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tomac
Didnt expect you to be up at this hour when I tagged you. 

I did forget about the parallax though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:07:16 AM EDT
[#6]
IF you can find one, the Leupold prismatic absolutely rocks. I love mine and I am always looking to pick up one or two more. I have several 1-6 and 1-8 scopes, they work great. But the Prismatic is stupid fast, light, and easy. I went from meh with eotechs and aimpoints, to really fast and good with the leupold.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:59:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll start looking into some of these. It's a real pain in the ass dealing with astigmatism. Throw in a retinal detachment on top of that for a real special hell.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Low power variable with a crisp small red dot....turn down the brightness...use a good white light for nigh time

You can get used to shooting with a "good enough" red dot at night to protect whatever it is you need to...a smaller blob is better than a big blob
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top