Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2017 1:37:35 PM EDT
Only red dot I've ever owned is a Aimpoint Pro.  I've been really happy with it.  I need another red dot or two for a couple more ARs.  How do the Vortex compare.  Obviously they are cheaper and the PSA deal with the 10 pmags is great.  Am I going to be totally let down compared to the Aimpoint?  How do the different Sparcs compare to the Strikefire II?   Maybe I should just buy one of each?
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:42:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The vortex works great on my 22lr. Can’t say as to how they hold up to bigger guns. 
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Interested in this as well sub’d
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:58:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I've always been an Aimpoint guy and own half a dozen but I need a new optic and I was considering Vortex due to good reviews
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 2:58:14 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Strikefire IIRG which is red and green.i would go with red only if I were to do it again. Red only is brighter. I also run with the standard height Mount because I don't have irons. 
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 3:37:09 PM EDT
[#5]
They say the primary arms red dots are supposed to be good. I'm going to buy one.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 5:45:14 PM EDT
[#6]
I own a
Strike Fire II (red only)
PA advanced micro dot
PA Micro Dot with removeable base
Sign Sauer Romeo 4b with circle dot

The advantage of the Strikefire is its included cantilever mount which allows a magnifier to be easily mounted behind the optic.  Well, that and the deal from PSA with 10 pmags.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:18:12 PM EDT
[#7]
Brownell's has the Sig small/micro red dot on sale->

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/electronic-sights/red-dot-sights/romeo5-compact-red-dot-sight-prod87941.aspx

Search out a $10 off code w/ free shipping
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 6:37:55 PM EDT
[#8]
The SPARC AR has held up fine for me, range use. No complaints other than the lack of flip caps. I previously was striving for an Aimpoint PRO but when I read that study...where is it...?
On the paralax issues I sort of became skeptical....now I dont know where the Vortex falls regarding that issue but I mean I thought the whole point of a good red dot was that you do not have rely on a perfect cheek weld as long as the dot is on target....Now I am not so sure since the all clain to be paralax free and have been proven otherwise.... someone will have to link to the thread in question.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:11:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Regarding 30mm Red Dots

Strikefire is quality but the battery life is dated. The red only version has longer battery life IIRC. But not by much.

The Primary Arms Advanced 30mm is really nice. But compared next to my PRO it's obvious which is the better quality. The glass/tint is similar, and the aimpoint is brighter, but the PA comes close.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 7:24:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I had two of the original Strikefire red/green dots and an Aimpoint PRO, I liked the PRO better. One of the Strikefires had to be sent back because it quit working, it didn't cost me anything other than a week without an optic on that rifle.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 9:54:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I have 2 of the three  the op stated an aimpoint pro and a strike fire with red and green bunch of grapes reticle . just my personal experience and I am not knocking anybody elses optic  . I have never had an issue with the aimpoint pro its always on and always there waiting  I use it on a carbine when hunting in heavy timber and for night time varmint control on my small farm , battery cost is nile compared to the service you get out of them . My strikefire has an issue turning off and on  , it is a 1st gen and I think they built a fence around the on off buttons to rectify this but Im not for sure , the red dot is kind of usable but the green is horrible for the price I say pass . I thought I had a vision pproblem but I did own an eotech and do own a c-more railway sight and a bushnell trs25 both of these along with my aimpoint have a nice round dot . I suppose I should send the strike fire back and see if they could fix it but I have just lost all intrest . I other people have them and they work as stated then good for them Im glad they got their moneys worth.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 10:32:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The vortex works great on my 22lr. Can’t say as to how they hold up to bigger guns. 
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/225920/D4C977A3-91C0-4E70-A198-E79239F697D8-339893.JPG
View Quote
I put a couple on 5.56 ARs and they have held up and worked perfectly.

Battery life is much shorter than an AimPoint (obviously!) but it is a 2 MOA dot with adjustable brightness.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
I have an Aimpoint PRO on a 300BO pistol, and Strikefire II's on a 16" rifle and a 10.5" pistol.  

They have all worked great.  I like the green of the Strikefire better than the red on either of them.  

For me, the PSA deal with 10 mags basically for free with the Strikefire II makes it a much better value.  

I also run a Primary Arms Advanced Microdot on a 10.5" 9mm AR that works well.  I don't feel that that optic is nearly as robust as the others though.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 9:17:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have 2 of the three  the op stated an aimpoint pro and a strike fire with red and green bunch of grapes reticle . just my personal experience and I am not knocking anybody elses optic  . I have never had an issue with the aimpoint pro its always on and always there waiting  I use it on a carbine when hunting in heavy timber and for night time varmint control on my small farm , battery cost is nile compared to the service you get out of them . My strikefire has an issue turning off and on  , it is a 1st gen and I think they built a fence around the on off buttons to rectify this but Im not for sure , the red dot is kind of usable but the green is horrible for the price I say pass . I thought I had a vision pproblem but I did own an eotech and do own a c-more railway sight and a bushnell trs25 both of these along with my aimpoint have a nice round dot . I suppose I should send the strike fire back and see if they could fix it but I have just lost all intrest . I other people have them and they work as stated then good for them Im glad they got their moneys worth.
View Quote
The II and original are apples and oranges.  First gen kinda sucked.  I like a cheap Tasco I have on a pellet gun better than the gen 1, but I have 2 gen II's
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:22:32 PM EDT
[#15]
I have a Gen 1 Strikefire red only I use on a 22 LR AR-15.   I have not had any battery life issues but you can inadvertently activate the Night Vision and is hard to tell if the sight is on or off.   I wouldn’t personally use a Strikefire on a defensive rifle/carbine.  My Strikefire has a 4 MOA dot but I would prefer 2 MOA.  My Son in Law bought the SPAR AR through PSA with the 10 PMags.  I really like the 2 MOA dot, on off control and mount on the SPARC AR.   My SinL is full time LE and bought the SPARC AR after shooting a co workers SPARC AR.  Their duty rifles have iron sights just in case the red dot goes out.

If I needed another red dot sight I’d get a SPARC AR with PMags from PSA, may give into temptation and get them anyway.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 12:59:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I have the strikefire II red/green.

It's still got the same battery in it that it came with, (last november) seems to hold zero fine, works for what I want.

Only con is the dot is a bit big I want to say it's a 4, but not sure.

It rides my cheapy m&p sport 2 just fine. It co-witnesses with the mbuis and front a2 fine.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#17]
Never had a Pro but have 2 Red/Green Strikefire II's with 4 MOA dots. No issues with either. The dots are highly visible in red or green (I prefer green) under any lighting condition. Of course, the 4 MOA dot is larger than a 1 or 2 MOA but red dots are made for killing bad guys and varmints at close range not precision shooting so I don't consider the size of the dot to be an issue. As far as battery life goes, I turn off my units after use and carry an extra battery just in case. I see no reason to leave them on 24/7. Consequently, I've never had a problem in that area. I figure in the event of battery failure, I have my trusty iron sights to fall back on until a replacement battery can be found.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top