Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2017 7:12:23 PM EDT
I am in the market for a red dot but I unfortunately have an astigmatism which makes most red dots unusable for me.

I came across the Sig Romeo series which say they are a 1x optic which caught my attention because a 1x optic is supposed to help alleviate the blurriness associated with an astigmatism.

So my question is for those who have a Sig Romeo series red dot, is it actually a 1x magnification?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 7:33:26 PM EDT
[#1]
In for info and general review of this optic..??
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 8:03:14 PM EDT
[#2]
The Sig electro optic sights are standard red dot sights. 1x simply means no magnification.

They are not 1x prismatic sights.

Prismatic sights are ones that are astigmatism friendly.

I think EOtech are as well, but I could be wrong on that point.

If you want a prismatic sight, Vortex makes one that won't break the bank.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 2:51:49 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Sig electro optic sights are standard red dot sights. 1x simply means no magnification.

They are not 1x prismatic sights.

Prismatic sights are ones that are astigmatism friendly.

I think EOtech are as well, but I could be wrong on that point.

If you want a prismatic sight, Vortex makes one that won't break the bank.
View Quote
Eotechs are a different form of red dot, and are not astigmatism-friendly, although they aren't bad (at least, to me).
What you're looking for is anything with a diopter adjustment on the ocular lens.  This is usually found in a variable power scope, along with various sights such as the Vortex Spitfire prism scopes (1x and 3x).
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 3:11:10 AM EDT
[#4]
As some one who also suffers an astigmatism, the Sig Romeo's are a no-go. Same with it's cousins the Holosun and Primary Arms micro dots.

A couple options:

Eotech - its similar to a red dot, different tech, may or may not work, probably will get worse with age

1x Prism Scope: Vortex makes the Spitfire, kind of large but works great. Leupold prismatic also is out there.

1-4/6x Variable. This is what I run now. Most are very good at 1x, the flexibility to go to 4x or even 6x on some is awesome, adjustable diopter to adjust to your vision. The only real knock on these (since we can't use red dots) is weight. Some can be freaking heavy when a mount is added.

Bushnell Throwdown PCL on the super budget side seems pretty good, Vortex strike eagle might be best bang for buck in optics, Steiner P4Xi in the middle cost spectrum is awesome, Vortex Razor 1-6x on the high end is great. I personally own the Vortex Razor1-6x, and Burris XTR II 1-5x and love them.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 10:11:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Thanks for the replies so far. I like the reticle of the Spitfire for the most part. If it was just a single circle with dot I would have one on the way to try out already. I don’t tend to like busy reticles.

If any body has a recommendation as far as prism or variable optics with a circle/dot reticle I would greatly appreciate it.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 12:03:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the replies so far. I like the reticle of the Spitfire for the most part. If it was just a single circle with dot I would have one on the way to try out already. I don’t tend to like busy reticles.

If any body has a recommendation as far as prism or variable optics with a circle/dot reticle I would greatly appreciate it.
View Quote
Exactly how bad is your astigmatism?  I have it myself, and find that the average red dot is problematic.  I have the Sig Romeo 7, Aimpoint T1, and Aimpoint CompM4, and all are "usable" at short to medium ranges, but don't present a crisp dot for sighting in or long range shots.

Having said that, I use a Holosun HS503C red dot successfully.  It's cheap, sports a reticle like an Eotech, but sharper, and has solar cells on top for power under normal conditions.  Might be worth a try.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:16:50 PM EDT
[#7]
I've looked through their dot that's their equivalent to the rmr and it has a slight magnification like the mro does. It doesn't bother me on an mro but the sig version of the rmr having that little bit of magnification was kind of annoying.
Link Posted: 10/22/2017 1:54:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Traditional RDS’s have become something of a no-go for me due to my increasingly shitty eyesight. I now use a TA44 Compact ACOG and I’m more than satisfied with its performance.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top