Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/14/2017 6:22:21 PM EDT
Trying to decide on an optic for my new build and have narrowed it down to three optics; Nightforce SHV F1 4-14x50, Burris XTR II 3-15x50 and the Burris XTR II 4-20x50. The reason I have the 4-20x50 in there is because I do plan to shoot this gun out to 1000 yards on occasion but it'll only be punching paper which I can do with x14 or x15 but the extra magnification would be nice. Primary use of this rifle will be target and hunting (coyote and hog) out to about 600 yards. What would you choose? I know the Nightforce uses NXS glass but haven't looked through either.

It'll be going on an Aero Precision M5E1 20" 6.5 Creedmoor.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 6:33:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have looked through both and my eyes prefer the Nightforce glass.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. Wish I could look through both but haven't seen either around here. I like the reticle on the Nightforce slightly more but not enough to sway me from the Burris.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:40:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I own two Burris XTR-II scopes. Nightforce SHV, all day.
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 3:48:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd want more magnification than 14x and the Burris XTR II's glass is poor on the 4-20 and 5-25 models.

Personally I'd go with a Bushnell DMR II which can be found for $1,200-1400 new or one of the Weaver Tactical 6-30's that Natchez has for $750 right now.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-super-slam-tactical-rifle-scope-6-30x56mm-34mm.html
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 9:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Appreciate the replies.

Not really in any hurry to pick something up so I'm going to try and swing by Cabelas soon. Supposedly they have the XTR II in stock so I should be able to look at it. For a little more money I've been eyeing the Steiner T5XI and the Bushnell DMRII-i. I use Zeiss Victory Diavaris on my bolt action hunting rigs so I know what good glass looks like and don't want to be disappointed with whatever I choose. On the other hand I don't really want to spend $2000+ on another optic. Would love to have a Gen 2 Razor though.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 8:06:35 PM EDT
[#6]
I'd take a Vortex PST 2 over the Burris XTR-II. The only thing keeping me from buying a Razor Gen 2 is the weight and a wish they would put a floating dot in the middle of the open reticle.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top