Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/10/2017 9:58:03 PM EDT
So I'm pretty much an AR novice.  I owned 1 AR before and lost it last year in a home fire.  I have replaced it, after much research, with a BCM Recce 16.  From what I've read/heard, a true Recce should wear a 1x variable optic but I am open to anything really.  I have no experience with anything optic wise on an AR.  I have rifles with various scopes.  So, I want something illuminated that is versatile.  From close range (not HD I have another firearm for that) to 100-200 yards.  I don't feel like I skimped on the gun so I wont be skimping on the optic either.  Probably willing to spend 1500 for optic and mount.  Also, let me know what mount I should be looking at.  Thanks all
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 10:51:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
So I'm pretty much an AR novice.  I owned 1 AR before and lost it last year in a home fire.  I have replaced it, after much research, with a BCM Recce 16.  From what I've read/heard, a true Recce should wear a 1x variable optic but I am open to anything really.  I have no experience with anything optic wise on an AR.  I have rifles with various scopes.  So, I want something illuminated that is versatile.  From close range (not HD I have another firearm for that) to 100-200 yards.  I don't feel like I skimped on the gun so I wont be skimping on the optic either.  Probably willing to spend 1500 for optic and mount.  Also, let me know what mount I should be looking at.  Thanks all
View Quote

True Recce rifles were used before 1-4x or 1-6x scopes were invented.  Most "in the wild" Recce photos sport 3-9x or 2.5-8x type scopes.  I run a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol with Firedot TMR motion activated illuminated reticle on my Recce, built around the authentic Lilja 16" barrel as supplied by them to NSWC Crane for Navy seals.

A common scope was the Leupold TS-30A2 which was 2.5-8x.  It is a part of the Mark 4 line.  My VX-R Patrol is not a true duplicate, but has some more advanced features.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 11:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

True Recce rifles were used before 1-4x or 1-6x scopes were invented.  Most "in the wild" Recce photos sport 3-9x or 2.5-8x type scopes.  I run a Leupold VX-R 3-9x40mm Patrol with Firedot TMR motion activated illuminated reticle on my Recce, built around the authentic Lilja 16" barrel as supplied by them to NSWC Crane for Navy seals.

A common scope was the Leupold TS-30A2 which was 2.5x8.
View Quote
I appreciate the input. I'm open to any configuration or optic really.  Not particularly concerned with staying authentic above all else.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:41:54 AM EDT
[#3]
I like a low power scope for that type rifle, 1-4/6/8x, generally 1-4/6x due to weight considerations. Plenty of power for mid ranges out to 4-500 yards. About the max range an AR is effective for anyway, and that's pushing the effective range a bit.

Trijicon makes very nice low power scopes... in 1-4/6/8x configurations.

The Accupower are nice options, they have 1-4x and 1-8x... The 8x version is not light enough for me to consider it. I like to keep my low power optics around 16oz plus or minus a bit. Most 1-8x scopes are above 25oz. There are some 1-6 scopes out there staying under 20oz and even close to 16oz. I like to keep any scope under 20oz if I can.

The 1-4 cost about $700, the 1-8 is $1400 or so.

The VCOG  is nice, bit heavy, but very rugged... Very expensive as well.

Other high end scope makers also make low power scopes in the 1-4/6/8x range... All at various price points, with many going for $1000-1500... And some for much more than that.

You can spend $500 or less if you want from some of the mid tier makers. Some also have higher end models at close to a grand as well. Brands like Vortex Primary Arms, and SWFA.

Best advice... Look around at all the available options from the respected scope manufacturers... Then pick the scope that has the features you want in your scope, and you will likely be fine. As I said, I prefer low power optics for that type rifle, better field of view and quick to use.

My primary wants in a scope are clear enough glass for the magnification and ranges it is to be used for, reticle design, weight, and ruggedness.

I find that you need to spend $500+ for good glass in this class scope. Very good glass is $900+...With my good meaning little to no noticable distortion or clarity issues.

The scopes that cost less, range from ok glass, to good/decent.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Ever try an ACOG.
TA31 or TA11 models are almost a no brainer.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:33:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ever try an ACOG.
TA31 or TA11 models are almost a no brainer.
View Quote
Marine6680 thank you for the detailed information, I appreciate it.

Edwin 907-

To answer you question, no I have never even looked through an ACOG.  I have been reading everything I can on them as well as other options.  I keep reading the ACOGs really lack at close range, and potentially much more than a 1x variable will. While the variable optic will outshine it at much longer ranges as well.  I'm just in parallisis by analysis mode to be honest.  I think with my lack of experience with any of the optics I probably won't realize what I'm missing or what I really need until after I get something and spend some time behind the glass so to speak.  I just would prefer to get it right the first time.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 12:56:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the eye relief worse on the ACOGs than a lower power variable?
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:41:31 PM EDT
[#7]
For 1500 I'd get a good 1-6x or 1-8x.  The PA Platinum is a very nice 1-8x.

As a 1-4x owner, I wish I had higher end magnification.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 3:57:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Is the eye relief worse on the ACOGs than a lower power variable?
View Quote
You can't beat physics. The smaller the optic, the worse the eye relief.  If you want eye relief and an ACOG, look at the TA11. It's the larger and heavier one.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 4:51:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Eye relief is pretty short on many of the ACOG scopes.

I have a 1-4x Trijicon, and I like it a lot... I wouldn't be remiss of having a bit more magnification though.

With the 1-6x optics that are coming in at the same or similar weight as 1-4x scopes, I think the 1-6x is ideal for that form factor.

So long as the other important aspects, like glass quality, and reticle meet my needs/requirements...  I would prefer one now.

The price for the 1-6x scopes is higher than the same/similar model in 1-4x. So keep that in mind.

Really, for a man sized target, 1-4x is plenty, especially with a moving target, but 6x let's you get a bit more accuracy... Which is really more of a range thing in the end. You do lose some field of view with the higher magnification as well.

Though it can be useful in the right roles. The same pros and cons, goes for 1-8x, but more so as it's yet more magnification.
Link Posted: 10/11/2017 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok, so another question thrown into the mix.  What's the best reticle in your opinion?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 2:04:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Ok, so another question thrown into the mix.  What's the best reticle in your opinion?
View Quote
I like a simple reticle that provides some basic ranging and BDC... But BDC can be a finicky thing, as the reticle may not be calibrated to your ammo, or is a compromise of several ammo types. Meaning the reticle is "close enough" to correct, or you have to remember what each hash mark represents.

Picking a reticle that is calibrated for your ammo type makes BDC easy. Usually they are calibrated to 55gr or 62gr 5.56 spec ammo.

Some really like the ACSS reticle from Primary Arms.

I have the Trijicon segmented circle that is calibrated to 55gr. It has a good BDC, with range estimation built in.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 9:55:02 AM EDT
[#12]
So for your purpose I would recommend the TR25 1-6 by trijicon. I have two TR24's 1-4 and I love them, a friend has the TR25 mil dot and it's a great optic. The eye relief is great, it's light, glass quality is top notch and it has mil dot, moa dot, or the triangle if you want something that is bright simple and clean. Some people hate the triangle but if I'm using it where I don't need to do significant holds then it's my favorite reticle. If you want hits out to 300 on a man size then the triangle is perfectly fine it's a 2.8 moa triangle so it's not really that big. I also would recommend the accupower 1-8 in red moa or mil. The red is daylight bright and on 1x it's like an eotech reticle then on 8x it looks like the night force MOAR. I've been using it in 3gun and it has helped me a lot since I moved on from the TR24's. It is heavy but it's lighter than the vortex and I like the reticle so much more. Glass quality is phenomenal in the 1-8. You can find them on gun broker for $1300 or so.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
So for your purpose I would recommend the TR25 1-6 by trijicon. I have two TR24's 1-4 and I love them, a friend has the TR25 mil dot and it's a great optic. The eye relief is great, it's light, glass quality is top notch and it has mil dot, moa dot, or the triangle if you want something that is bright simple and clean. Some people hate the triangle but if I'm using it where I don't need to do significant holds then it's my favorite reticle. If you want hits out to 300 on a man size then the triangle is perfectly fine it's a 2.8 moa triangle so it's not really that big. I also would recommend the accupower 1-8 in red moa or mil. The red is daylight bright and on 1x it's like an eotech reticle then on 8x it looks like the night force MOAR. I've been using it in 3gun and it has helped me a lot since I moved on from the TR24's. It is heavy but it's lighter than the vortex and I like the reticle so much more. Glass quality is phenomenal in the 1-8. You can find them on gun broker for $1300 or so.
View Quote
Excellent feedback, thank you.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 4:08:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Remember... Weight is important.

It may not feel too heavy now, but after carrying it around for a while, it sure will.

And what works on a static range, is not always going to work in the field.

What do you want to use the rifle for?
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It may not feel too heavy now, but after carrying it around for a while, it sure will.

View Quote
I went with this rifle specifically for an all around AR.  It's the only one I have right now.  I'm not sure how soon I will be buying another at this point.  So I going to use this setup for range fun, probably some coyote hunting and everything in between.  I don't shoot 3 gun or anything like that.  I honestly went with this rifle because I liked the 16" length.  I have handguns and a shotgun for HD right now
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:51:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
I agree, the recce is a very light rifle, the 1-8 is a little heavy but using an aero or warne x skel can off set some of that weight. The TR25 is light weight  as are all of the accupoints.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I agree, the recce is a very light rifle, the 1-8 is a little heavy but using an aero or warne x skel can off set some of that weight. The TR25 is light weight  as are all of the accupoints.
View Quote
Not sure if you're aware but the TR25 series scopes are 19.2 oz.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#18]
The Leupold VX-R Patrol 3-9x I recommended weighs 15.3 ounces and gets you all the way up to 9x and with a big 40mm objective that is superior in low light performance and provides a more forgiving exit pupil than scopes with only 24mm objectives.

I paired mine with the 1.9 ounce Leupold Deltapoint Pro mini-reflex.   You can mount it up with the scope or offset it 45 degrees.   Both work.  I tried it both ways and ended up with the 45 degree offset, just rotate the rifle to bring it up and you have instant 1x.

Both are motion-activated, thus always ready, and daylight bright illumination.  The scope is mil/mil with .1 mil per click on the turrets and matching milrad based reticle.   The turrets track true and the combo makes it a lot easier to take shots beyond 300 yards, while also having instant point blank capability from the end of the barrel out to 300 without holdovers.

Just a thought.  Sometimes one optic can't do everything without significant compromises.  You could get both, including good QD mounts within your budget, OP.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Yeah, it's under 20oz so not bad for a 1-8x.

Still think that a 4 or 6 max power works better for a fighting rifle...

But it really depends on the field of view of the optic on max magnification. If you can get the same FoV in an 8x as a 6x, then go for it.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 8:16:04 PM EDT
[#20]
A Swarovski or Kahles 1-6 is going to be the ticket to keeping a high quality 16in gun light and handy.

I can highly reccomend both for their 1x capability, quality of glass, and daylight bright center dots.

The price is high, yes. However, buying used can save you quite a bit and it's worth the price of admission.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:39:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I went with this rifle specifically for an all around AR.  It's the only one I have right now.  I'm not sure how soon I will be buying another at this point.  So I going to use this setup for range fun, probably some coyote hunting and everything in between.  I don't shoot 3 gun or anything like that.  I honestly went with this rifle because I liked the 16" length.  I have handguns and a shotgun for HD right now
View Quote
A "do it all" rifle is not feasible. Usually it does nothing very well.

A 1-6 or 1-8 can make for a fairly versatile rifle, but it will not be the best for any one thing.

If HD is not a concern, then it's no problem going with a magnified optic. The downsides are limited in that light.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 11:05:13 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

A "do it all" rifle is not feasible. Usually it does nothing very well.

A 1-6 or 1-8 can make for a fairly versatile rifle, but it will not be the best for any one thing.

If HD is not a concern, then it's no problem going with a magnified optic. The downsides are limited in that light.
View Quote
For what I'm looking to do, I think this will cover those bases very well.  Some bases better than others depending on the optic, which is why I'm here.  A RDS is out of the equation, simply because the thing it does best is not what this rifle will be used for.  On another thread someone stated a duel illuminated ACOG 4x32 with mount will be 19oz.  That's close to or approaching a magnified optic.  I'm just trying to narrow it down to the best option for my budget ($1500 with mount).

Once again, I appreciate everyone's perspective.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:34:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Your budget is large enough to put you into some pretty decent glass. I would recommend that you take a look at the Nightforce NXS 1-4x and the Vortex Razor 1-6x.
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 12:42:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

For what I'm looking to do, I think this will cover those bases very well.  Some bases better than others depending on the optic, which is why I'm here.  A RDS is out of the equation, simply because the thing it does best is not what this rifle will be used for.  On another thread someone stated a duel illuminated ACOG 4x32 with mount will be 19oz.  That's close to or approaching a magnified optic.  I'm just trying to narrow it down to the best option for my budget ($1500 with mount).

Once again, I appreciate everyone's perspective.
View Quote
No the TA02 he mentioned IS the LED powered ACOG. The battery powered ones have a large compartment that adds a significant amount of weight. The dual illuminated 4x ACOGs are closer to a pound. 
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 1:41:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Ok, that makes sense
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:22:24 AM EDT
[#26]
With your intended uses... a low power variable is a good way to go.

Now you just need to pick one you like.
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 3:33:45 AM EDT
[#27]
If your willing to spend 1500 then Id pick up a Primary Arms platinum 1-8 ACSS and mount it up in a Larue and call it a day.

link
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 12:59:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Get the Vortex Razor 1-6 X24 with the JM reticle.
Black Friday sales not too far off
I am thinking maybe they will bring out a 1-8 Razor this year so the 1-6s should have a nice price drop after that.?
Link Posted: 10/14/2017 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Get the Vortex Razor 1-6 X24 with the JM reticle.
Black Friday sales not too far off
I am thinking maybe they will bring out a 1-8 Razor this year so the 1-6s should have a nice price drop after that.?
View Quote
The only thing stopping me from Vortex or the Primary Arms is the weight.  The Black Friday sales has got me itching though.  It's a good time to be a buyer.

On another note,....I must resist the Kahles K16i but I'm not sure if I can.  The weight is fantastic.  I have a little over $800 Cabela's points saved up, Cabela's wants $1999 for it which is high.  I've been saving those points for another firearm purchase.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 2:03:51 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

The only thing stopping me from Vortex or the Primary Arms is the weight.  The Black Friday sales has got me itching though.  It's a good time to be a buyer.

On another note,....I must resist the Kahles K16i but I'm not sure if I can.  The weight is fantastic.  I have a little over $800 Cabela's points saved up, Cabela's wants $1999 for it which is high.  I've been saving those points for another firearm purchase.
View Quote
Yeah my BCM upper/bushy lower is a pig with the PA 1-6 on it compared to an aimpoint but I've got used to it.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 7:14:40 PM EDT
[#31]
Dvor.com has a sale on the accupower 1-8
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top