Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/1/2017 2:20:18 PM EDT
Yesterday I was looking at a Leupold VX-6HD 1-6x24 BDC scope number 171556.  It's in the same price range as the Vortex Razor 1-6. but only weights in at a little over 13oz.  The glass looked good, but I was in a store so it's really hard to get a true feel.  The big negative I saw was it has the push button illumination control on the side, personally I think a rotating knob works better, but that is personal preference.  Is anyone running on of these?  The information out there seems to mostly be on an older model.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:21:31 PM EDT
[#1]
YouTube has several videos about that particular scope you may want to check out.  I would also read the comments about them as well.  Good luck with your optic search.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not tried the HD version so can only comment on the prior version.

If you are comparing the 2 scopes, it's a pretty straight up comparison.  
The Vortex has brighter illumination, better illumination control, flatter 1X view and a thinner reticle (which I like).  
The Leupold is much lighter and zoom knob spins much smoother.
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:42:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Relevant topic on the cmr2 version: https://www.ar15.com/forums/ar-15/Leupold-VX-6HD-w-CMR-2-multigun--NOW-compared-with-a-STEINER-P4xi--/18-717691/
Link Posted: 10/3/2017 5:14:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I don't mind the push button control on my VXR 1-4.
With the auto off and motion sensor activation I figure it should have excellent battery life.

I chose it because I wanted a daylight bright dot on a scope that was really light.

The Razor is supposed to be awesome but heavy.

Good luck in your search.
Link Posted: 10/12/2017 10:23:56 PM EDT
[#5]
It's overpriced, best feature is weight, not daylight bright, comparing to a Vortex gen2 is bizarre.

TTC
Link Posted: 10/13/2017 3:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
You all will have to school me on the reticle on the gen 2, HD version of this scope.  Is this Firedot like on the VX-R?  If so, I do know something about that.   Leupold's web site suggests that it does use Firedot technology and that there are several different reticle choices.

I have a VX-R Patrol with Firedot TMR reticle.  If the VX6 HD 1-6 HD has Firedot technology, it ought to be capable of blazing, daylight brightness.  My VX-R is, or it can be brought down to very low for HD at night.  Just curious if it uses a different system.   My VX-R has the push button.  I like it a lot, it contributes to the light weight and gets the mechanism off of the eyepiece.   It activates a diode that feeds a fiber optic tube to the reticle.  Mine is also motion-activated, which means years of battery life, leaving it on 24/7 and always ready without having to do anything.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have the model you describe.  I've never mounted it so can only give feedback from looking through it in different lighting at my place.  During the brightest time of the day the green dot is still noticeable but not as bright as a Steiner or a Razor.  I don't mind the push button for illumination but I'd prefer a rotating knob.  It's incredibly light, and the auto shut off feature works well and is a nice feature.  I actually have mine for sale because I want to go with a 1-8 instead, but if it doesn't sell I'm quite fine with keeping it and enjoying what it offers.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 9:43:33 PM EDT
[#8]
Good glass quality and light weight.

No daylight illumination makes it an also-ran.  I wouldn't even consider it.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 12:44:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Good glass quality and light weight.

No daylight illumination makes it an also-ran.  I wouldn't even consider it.
View Quote
Ah, OP's question is about the model with the Firedot G (green) reticle.  I now understand the illumination issue.  Other VX-6 HD models have the red Firedot.  Big difference.  Every red Firedot I've ever seen is daylight bright capable.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top