Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 10/6/2017 10:51:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I thought all their advanced line optics had life time
View Quote
I looked up the advanced microdot and what I saw was a three-year warranty. Unless it’s some kind of under the table thing
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:37:53 PM EDT
[#2]
My Holosun 503GUs that I just got have a LIFETIME warranty according to the pamphlet (I think that was a somewhat recent change but I don't know when?). UPDATE:  I stand corrected.  The lifetime is the metal structure, optical is 5 years and electronics is 3 years per their website).  For the $141 each that I paid, still a good buy for my use.

As far as customer service, all I know is that I emailed them with a question and got an answer the very next day.  I then called them and Sean told me that they did sell accessories but I had to call to order because their website wasn't set up to sell accessories yet.  He told me the Holosun flip up caps (with flashkill) would be in October 13th and I could call to order them.  I called and placed my order and a few days later they arrived in the mail.  I don't have any experience with having to send in the optics but so far Holosun customer service has been very helpful and readily available.....no long waits on the phone or unanswered emails.

I have astigmatism and the reticle is crisp for me....in fact I had ordered just one 503GU and when it came in I looked through it and liked what I saw so I ordered two more (the $141 deal from Botach).  I use one on one of my AR15s and one on each of my PS90s.

I am not an avid shooter like I used to be, just plinking at the range mainly. Not doing anything strenuous, mainly paper targets offhand and from a bipod and normally just 25 yards indoor.  I only get outdoors a few times a year.  I will probably end up with a better mount for the Holosun on my AR15 but the low mounts on the PS90s seem fine.

So I think these Holosun 503gu optics are going to be good for me.  The other optics I use off a bipod on some rifles are Vortex Spitfire Prism 1X.  I sometimes have a little eye relief issue with them and am thinking about selling them for some more 503gu optics.  But they are a heavier duty type optic so I will probably end up keeping them.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:33:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My Holosun 503GUs that I just got have a LIFETIME warranty according to the pamphlet (I think that was a somewhat recent change but I don't know when?).

As far as customer service, all I know is that I emailed them with a question and got an answer the very next day.  I then called them and Sean told me that they did sell accessories but I had to call to order because their website wasn't set up to sell accessories yet.  He told me the Holosun flip up caps (with flashkill) would be in October 13th and I could call to order them.  I called and placed my order and a few days later they arrived in the mail.  I don't have any experience with having to send in the optics but so far Holosun customer service has been very helpful and readily available.....no long waits on the phone or unanswered emails.

I have astigmatism and the reticle is crisp for me....in fact I had ordered just one 503GU and when it came in I looked through it and liked what I saw so I ordered two more (the $141 deal from Botach).  I use one on one of my AR15s and one on each of my PS90s.

I am not an avid shooter like I used to be, just plinking at the range mainly. Not doing anything strenuous, mainly paper targets offhand and from a bipod and normally just 25 yards indoor.  I only get outdoors a few times a year.  I will probably end up with a better mount for the Holosun on my AR15 but the low mounts on the PS90s seem fine.

So I think these Holosun 503gu optics are going to be good for me.  The other optics I use off a bipod on some rifles are Vortex Spitfire Prism 1X.  I sometimes have a little eye relief issue with them and am thinking about selling them for some more 503gu optics.  But they are a heavier duty type optic so I will probably end up keeping them.
View Quote
Love my 503GU's. They're my favorite optics (especially for HD, with the auto on/sleep). I sold off my 503C's and don't miss them one bit.
The GU is the way to go (auto wake/sleep, tooless baterry replacement, buttons on top, etc).
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:39:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Love my 503GU's. They're my favorite optics (especially for HD, with the auto on/sleep). I sold off my 503C's and don't miss them one bit.
The GU is the way to go (auto wake/sleep, tooless baterry replacement, buttons on top, etc).
View Quote
'

Try the ACSS Version for your next one.  You get all of the same features but a better reticle IMO.  If you don't plan on putting a magnifier on it then it isn't as big of a deal but if you do then the ACSS is worth it for sure.  Even without the magnifier I still prefer the way the ACSS one looks with the horseshoe reticle turned on.  It also gives you the option to turn off the horseshoe.

I don't know why it seems like almost everyone skips over the ACSS ones and goes with the solar one or the one with the eotech style reticle.  I still can't believe that Holosun/PA are the only ones to put an actual reticle on a red dot so far.  I mean, you'd think someone like Aimpoint would be the first ones to do this considering its advantages.  In a combat zone they could have their aimpoint with bullet drop reticle like the ACSS and toss on a magnifier if they want to shoot long range just like I do with my Holosun.  I know Eotech has theirs with 3 dots but it has it's own disadvantages and the reticle is just 3 dots which is very lacking.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:22:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Try the ACSS Version for your next one.  You get all of the same features but a better reticle IMO.  
View Quote
Its way too busy for just a RD. I think it sucks. I have the eotech as well with the drop dots and hate it. during recoil and getting back on target there is too many things moving around. if you want to shoot off a bench and take your time its not the right optic

any of the combat zeros will get you on target out to 300, if your primarily using a RD past that, I would re think sighting options.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:03:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Its way too busy for just a RD. I think it sucks. I have the eotech as well with the drop dots and hate it. during recoil and getting back on target there is too many things moving around. if you want to shoot off a bench and take your time its not the right optic

any of the combat zeros will get you on target out to 300, if your primarily using a RD past that, I would re think sighting options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Try the ACSS Version for your next one.  You get all of the same features but a better reticle IMO.  

I tried the ACSS reticle and found it too busy for my eyes. It's a neat concept for sure, but the tiny inverted chevron made my eye hurt. I sold it off with my AK and picked up an additional 503GU to replace it last month and have been very happy. As for the lifetime warranty from Holosun, I believe it's only for the metal body, not the electronic components inside (the parts most likely to break). To me, it's false advertisement, but to the law it doesn't quite meet the technical definition

August 1, 2014
To the original owner, your Holosun product is warranted free of defects in materials and workmanship with the Holosun Limited Lifetime Warranty. This warranty specifically applies to the metal structure of the product and does not apply to the optical and illumination systems. The optical system is covered by the 5 year warranty. The illumination system including electronics is covered by the 3 year warranty. Batteries are not covered under warranty.
In the event of a confirmed defect under this warranty, we will, at our option, repair or replace the product. This Limited Warranty does not apply to: (a) asserted defects caused by normal wear and tear of any part including knobs, camouflage finish, etc.; (b) asserted defects caused by modification, unauthorized service, accidents, neglect, misuse, abuse, improper maintenance, acts of Nature; and (c) asserted defects involving subjective personal likes or judgments. Also, this warranty is null and void if modification or maintenance is provided by someone other than Holosun. Registration is not required to validate this warranty.
With that being said, it's still a great dot for the money and I've had zero issues with the 403A and ACSS I had in the past nor the current 2x 503GU's I use on AKs now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 6:05:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
'

Try the ACSS Version for your next one.  You get all of the same features but a better reticle IMO.  If you don't plan on putting a magnifier on it then it isn't as big of a deal but if you do then the ACSS is worth it for sure.  Even without the magnifier I still prefer the way the ACSS one looks with the horseshoe reticle turned on.  It also gives you the option to turn off the horseshoe.

I don't know why it seems like almost everyone skips over the ACSS ones and goes with the solar one or the one with the eotech style reticle.  I still can't believe that Holosun/PA are the only ones to put an actual reticle on a red dot so far.  I mean, you'd think someone like Aimpoint would be the first ones to do this considering its advantages.  In a combat zone they could have their aimpoint with bullet drop reticle like the ACSS and toss on a magnifier if they want to shoot long range just like I do with my Holosun.  I know Eotech has theirs with 3 dots but it has it's own disadvantages and the reticle is just 3 dots which is very lacking.
View Quote
I thought about it, but when I looked through one, I didn't like how busy it was. For me, it would be trading off a nice clean reticle for a busy one that serves no advantage for me (There's no way I'm realistically making a precision shot past 300m without magnification. A 50m zero will get me "close enough", for my needs, for anything under 250m with a simple dot or circle dot).
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 8:13:23 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
I guess everyone is different but I don't see how it is really any more busy then a regular Eotech reticle.  on 1x it just looks like a tiny little line with a chevron tip and a horseshoe around it.  With the horseshoe off it is just a tiny line with the chevron tip and the line is so small that you can basically use it just like a red dot.  But again I know everyone is different and things work differently for each individual.  

Now with a magnifier on it, I can shoot much more accurately with it on the bench then any other red dot because it enlarges the reticle enough to look as big as a scope reticle and instead of covering it with a dot you can put the chevrons tip precisely in the same spot each time without covering anything up which I really like.  

Also I don't see how this is the wrong optic for longer ranges either.  While a variable 4-16x etc would do better the ACSS dot with a 6x magnifier will do just as well as the variable 1-6s everyone else runs except I can take off the bulkier part anytime I want and switch back to true 1x and also have a lot less moving parts.  I agree if you left it on 1x the reticle is pretty much useless for longer ranges and it may not even be that great on 3x as I have only ever tried 6x magnifiers.  It is unbelievable how clear the reticle really is on 6x, it is identical to looking through a 6x scope.  So to anyone who considers a 1-6 variable good enough for a certain range, then this setup should also be considered the same IMO.  

For a CQB/longer range setup it works great for me.  1x eotech style reticle up close, and a nice ACSS reticle with a magnifier for shooting out to 600 if you feel like it.  I understand completely if some don't like it - I guess it is just one of those things that everyone needs to try for themselves because I love it and so does all of my friends who have tried it out, some of which have gotten the same setup themselves.  I just wish there was more companies out there offering the same.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 11:50:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I guess everyone is different but I don't see how it is really any more busy then a regular Eotech reticle.  on 1x it just looks like a tiny little line with a chevron tip and a horseshoe around it.  With the horseshoe off it is just a tiny line with the chevron tip and the line is so small that you can basically use it just like a red dot.  But again I know everyone is different and things work differently for each individual.  

Now with a magnifier on it, I can shoot much more accurately with it on the bench then any other red dot because it enlarges the reticle enough to look as big as a scope reticle and instead of covering it with a dot you can put the chevrons tip precisely in the same spot each time without covering anything up which I really like.  

Also I don't see how this is the wrong optic for longer ranges either.  While a variable 4-16x etc would do better the ACSS dot with a 6x magnifier will do just as well as the variable 1-6s everyone else runs except I can take off the bulkier part anytime I want and switch back to true 1x and also have a lot less moving parts.  I agree if you left it on 1x the reticle is pretty much useless for longer ranges and it may not even be that great on 3x as I have only ever tried 6x magnifiers.  It is unbelievable how clear the reticle really is on 6x, it is identical to looking through a 6x scope.  So to anyone who considers a 1-6 variable good enough for a certain range, then this setup should also be considered the same IMO.  

For a CQB/longer range setup it works great for me.  1x eotech style reticle up close, and a nice ACSS reticle with a magnifier for shooting out to 600 if you feel like it.  I understand completely if some don't like it - I guess it is just one of those things that everyone needs to try for themselves because I love it and so does all of my friends who have tried it out, some of which have gotten the same setup themselves.  I just wish there was more companies out there offering the same.
View Quote
Yeah, I can totally see the advantage of using the ACSS if also using a magnifier (however unpopular they've become). Most people aren't using them that way though. I know for certain that my eyes won't ever be able to properly use the ACSS to any advantage (I'm envious of anyone that can see that sharply!!).
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:10:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yeah, I can totally see the advantage of using the ACSS if also using a magnifier (however unpopular they've become). Most people aren't using them that way though. I know for certain that my eyes won't ever be able to properly use the ACSS to any advantage (I'm envious of anyone that can see that sharply!!).
View Quote
To be honest I don't think most people could use the reticle that well on 1x even with perfect vision.  I mean, it does give you a reference point for trying to use kentucky windage but it is still too hard to make out the dots clearly.  So on 1x I don't really consider it any better then any other dot out there - maybe slightly if you have perfect vision.  It may also do better if you practiced with it some on 1x and got a good idea on where to hold.  

That said, you put the 6x magnifier on it and it really wakes up.  I don't see why magnifiers are so unpopular and the variable 1-6x scopes seem to be in.  I know it's just my opinion but I trust a red dot a lot more then I trust a variable power scope that has a lot more moving parts.  And it is also nice having a true 1x power on the low end and 6x on the high end since nobody ever really uses anything in-between anyways.  I have both the red dot and magnifier on a QD mount with a KAC back up sight since it is one of the few that will fit under a 6x magnifier.  So the magnifier stays off the gun unless I plan on target shooting or hitting up longer range shots.  

I really recommend you give the ACSS one more shot with a 6x magnifier before writing it off.  That is if you have any interest in using a magnified optic to start with.  I am comfortable shooting irons, red dots, or variables but have come to love the way the red dots work.  My vision has really started to fall off the last couple of years and I can see a big advantage shooting them over irons that I didn't use to notice as much.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top