Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2017 11:01:19 PM EDT
Luepold Mark AR Mod 1 3x9 Duplex reticle inbound for a lightweight AR.

What rings to get absolute but minimum clearance of the bell?

Experiences?

Features, benefits, advantages you appreciate?

How does that elevation turret work?

Thanks for looking
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:20:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

Experiences?

Thanks for looking
View Quote

no experience with the turret, but it's 0.1 mil and supposedly the elevation dial is marked for BDC of 55 gr FMJ projectiles. your rifle will need to be pretty close to 3100 FPS muzzle velocity though. I've always been a little skeptical of those turret systems. You will still need to test it to confirm.

And what about height over bore? I would assume since it's an AR scope you would not want minimum clearance of the objective bell, but rather 1.5" centerline. If not, you will not have a proper cheek weld.  I would go with the Larue LT104 mount.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:13:21 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a few of them... Elevation/wind are in mils, .1 per. Good glass, repeatable, non mushy knobs. I dont like push button illum, but that wont effect you. I run the leupold mounts on my AR, low rings on my 700.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:30:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

no experience with the turret, but it's 0.1 mil and supposedly the elevation dial is marked for BDC of 55 gr FMJ projectiles. your rifle will need to be pretty close to 3100 FPS muzzle velocity though. I've always been a little skeptical of those turret systems. You will still need to test it to confirm.

And what about height over bore? I would assume since it's an AR scope you would not want minimum clearance of the objective bell, but rather 1.5" centerline. If not, you will not have a proper cheek weld.  I would go with the Larue LT104 mount.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Experiences?

Thanks for looking

I have the 1.5-4x version. Put it on a 13.8in running mostly 62grn, was most definitely not pushing 3100fps. Works totally fine.

The turrets are resetable to zero, so if you do match the 3100fps 55grn it asks for, then there's large numbers that correspond to the distance (x100, can't remember if it's yards or meters though). If you don't match these ballistics - then no problem. It's a mil/Mil based scope with full mil click marks on the turret, so just work with those same as any other scope.

I was able to dial mine in, guesstimate the fps/bc I was pushing, punch it into strelok, and never bother dialing. Just worked off of knowing the holds with the SPR reticle. Worked plenty well at CWTX out to 300yds, even though I hadn't taken the rifle past 25yd at that time. Short while ago, it worked the same out to 420yds.

Get a solid AR one piece mount, not rings. I ran the ADM Scout for QD, but there's plenty of cheaper non QD options. AP and Geissele both make some super lightweight mounts. From there, just count the clicks, reset to zero once it's dialed in, and you're good to go!
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Low rings don't work on AR-15's. The stock design requires super high or high rings or you'll be straining to see through the scope.

The absolute lowest rings that I can use on an AR is a 1.375" centerline. I like low rings, but anything lower than this is too much of a good thing. Standard AR iron sights ate 1.50" to 1.60 high if that helps you understand the problem.

1.4" to 1.5" works best for most. Cantilevered one piece rings and bases are the only way to go.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 2:32:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm probably hi-jacking here but here goes....I bought an AR Mod 1 3x9 mil-dot yesterday. I haven't opened it yet and may return it for a vx2 CDS. I bought it for a Ruger RAR 450BM, pretty much the opposite of a .223 but I figured it would work ok, and I was in a rush to get the order in.
My question about this scope is, what is with the .1 MOA adjustments? .1 MOA seems like an awfully fine adjustment even with a really accurate rifle in 223. Is that going to be a good thing with my poorer trajectory (450BM) or a pain in the ass that limits my vertical adjustments? I've never had an exposed  elevation turret scope and I'm no MOA guru.

Also, are the larger numbers on the elevation turret the BDC numbers or the generic MOA numbers? I couldn't tell from Leupolds website.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 8:32:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm probably hi-jacking here but here goes....I bought an AR Mod 1 3x9 mil-dot yesterday. I haven't opened it yet and may return it for a vx2 CDS. I bought it for a Ruger RAR 450BM, pretty much the opposite of a .223 but I figured it would work ok, and I was in a rush to get the order in.
My question about this scope is, what is with the .1 MOA adjustments? .1 MOA seems like an awfully fine adjustment even with a really accurate rifle in 223. Is that going to be a good thing with my poorer trajectory (450BM) or a pain in the ass that limits my vertical adjustments? I've never had an exposed  elevation turret scope and I'm no MOA guru.

Also, are the larger numbers on the elevation turret the BDC numbers or the generic MOA numbers? I couldn't tell from Leupolds website.
View Quote
The scopes are in MILS, not MOA... The large numbers are yards, its designed for a 55gr @ 3100fps.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:13:07 AM EDT
[#7]
For a mount, use any standard one piece cantilever fixed mount designed AR specific.  Leupold's own Mark 2 IMS would be a good choice.  Perfect height to match the AR stock,  moves the scope forward for proper eye relief position, and keeps all mounting points on the upper receiver.  I avoid separate rings on the short upper of AR15/M4 rifles, as there is not enough room to space the rings and get eye relief right.  The one piece cantilever mounts have that all worked out for you.  Prices are in the $70-85 range.

Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
The larger numbers reflect yardage or meters, read the owners manual. (.1 mil .36" @ 100 yards) clicks. Once zeroed with 5.56mm ammo you simply click to the larger numbers for known range BDC.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:30:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
For a mount, use any standard one piece cantilever fixed mount designed AR specific.  Leupold's own Mark 2 IMS would be a good choice.  The one piece cantilever mounts have that all worked out for you.  Prices are in the $70-85 range.

http://lghttp.38886.nexcesscdn.net/801385D/sportoptics/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/700x700/17f82f742ffe127f42dca9de82fb58b1/1/1/110290_leupold_mark-2-ims_1-inch_d2_700.jpg
View Quote
Leupold bases their Mark 2 IMS scope centreline @ 1.4" above the rail. Perfect height for most people.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 12:43:24 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

The larger numbers reflect yardage or meters, read the owners manual. (.1 mil .36" @ 100 yards) clicks. Once zeroed with 5.56mm ammo you simply click to the larger numbers for known range BDC.
View Quote
Well that's not going to work well for this gun, I'm going to exchange it. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 11:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
With as short range as the 450 Bushmaster is I’d just zero the Luepold Mark AR Mod 1 at whatever range gives you the best mean zero and use the mil dots for hold over.   I have a Mark AR in 3-9X40 with mildot reticle that I use on my 16” 6.5 Grendel.   Mine is not the Mark AR Mod 1 (but 1st Gen)  but has MOA adjustments and capped turrets.  The 6.5 Grendel’s trajectory is pretty close to 7.62X51 175 grain SMK so the scopes works very well for me.  The Mark AR booklet explains how to use the turrets for 5.56 or 7.62.  Once zeroed I can turn the dial to the yardage and the 6.5 Grendel hits really close to 600 yards.  I ran out of elevation adjustment around 700 to 800 yards depending on elevation so I have since added a 20 MOA mount.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top