Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/20/2017 8:25:03 PM EDT
I know this type of thing has been discussed many times, but I'm lazy and discussions are fun....

My only AR is an M&P 15 Sport II.  This is my general purpose HD/SHTF/Range rifle. Until today, I had a borrowed Aimpoint Comp M2 on it, along with the stock folding MAGPUL backup sight. (Standard front post)  The M2 has to go back to the owner (long story - not going to tell it here).  I don't care for the mbus sights - especially as a primary sight - so I find myself in the market for a different optic or sight.

I like the carry handle rear sights on Colt rifles, but I loved the M2.  I had originally intended to get a Bushnell TRS-25 before the m2 landed in my lap, but now I'm worried that I'm not going to like the TRS-25 after using the m2.  

I can get the trs-25 for $60 +/-.  Would I be better off with a carry handle?  Can I get a decent carry handle for that, or is it stupid to replace a red dot with irons, when I already have useable backup sights?

What says the hive?
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 8:31:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Get another Aimpoint. Your choice which
And carry handle mounts all suck.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:34:17 PM EDT
[#2]
What am I looking at for a functional (doesn't need to be pretty) m2 or m3?  Prices seem all over the place, and i know theres an issue with counterfeits. Where is a safe place to pick up a used one?  (I'm poor - pretty safe to assume even an m3 is likely north of my budget.)
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:41:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:50:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an aimpoint pro and a bushnell trs-25 . I use the trs 25 on my pistol caliber carbine uspsa matches and have no issues . the dot is round like its suppose to be , I have yet to have it wash out in bright sunlight the difference is the aimpoint pro has a 2 moa dot and the bushnell has a 3 moa dot . since you said the rifle will be used for home defense then between the two the only real choice is the aimpoint pro . turn it on and leave it on battery life is not an issue my last battery I changed at 3.5 years and it wasnt dead yet I was just paranoid . the down side to the trs is you have to turn it off or the battery will run down , they do have decent life but none the less it wont last like the pro . I have also found the dial to be a bit stiff . not much of an issue for competition but at 2 am trying to grab your rifle and turn it on while seeming simple it is not . personal experience with coyotes in the barn yard and a german shepard going nuts at the same time . just my 2 cents but for serious stuff save your money and get the real deal , for punching paper , hunting or fun then the trs is a bargin .
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 10:58:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Get another Aimpoint. Your choice which
And carry handle mounts all suck.
View Quote
Yeah, get a compM3 used. Great optic
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top