Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2017 12:31:01 AM EDT
I have an rm06 I am thinking about throwing on top of an acog. For those of you that have done this, which RMR did you use? All the ones I have experience with piggyback are the auto adjust only. Do you think it would be wise to use a different RMR?

Thanks in advance but I am not interested in a lpvo. I know I can offset it, but I'm not going too.

I know chin weld typically has a learning curve. I have experience so it's not an issue.

I am very familiar with BAC.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 2:36:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I've got a TA31F with an rm06 piggybacked on it. I think it's great. I previously had a dual illuminated rmr on it and hated it. The rm06 has an auto adjust mode as well as the manual adjustment.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 3:40:46 AM EDT
[#2]
I bought mine as a factory paired combo, as did my sister.  Hers is the most common version with the 4X ACOG/red chevron reticle paired with the top mounted Dual Illumination RMR and mines the TA11J-RMR 3.5X ACOG/crosshair reticle with the top mounted Dual Illumination RMR (both with red dots).  

After using different guns with only red dots, red dots with magnifiers and magnified optics with offset RMRs, I definitely prefer the ACOG with the RMR mounted topside.  It's extremely fast and easy to go from the ACOG to the RMR and since it's a straight up and down of a very short distance you almost don't even notice you're doing it once you are used to it.  I can't speak for the LED and adjustable RMR's, I've always used the Dual Illumination models and I love them.  No concerns about batteries with the optic or the RMR, they are both almost bombproof and Trijicon's reliability and quality reputation is well known and unquestionable.  I'm a former LEO but I'm just a normal citizen these days so my reasons for spending that kind of money on this gun are very simple.  I wanted a carbine that was reliable, accurate and tough enough to survive a "worst case scenario" should it ever happen.  I wanted the gun and it's accessories to be tough as hell and remove as much potential for things going wrong (like broken optics or batteries dying) as I could.

Mines a plain jane Colt LE6920 with a Magpul MOE buttstock, BCM Gunfighter charging handle (research showed it to be the strongest at the time, dunno if it still is), a Troy free float BattleRail quad rail (mounted pre-Mlok/Keymod slimline rails.  It clamps to the barrel nut so it's free floated and incredibly strong. It's not the lightest and it's outdated but you could beat a rhino to death with it and I doubt it would even ding the rail), Ergo grips, a Crimson Trace MVF-515 light/laser vertical grip (built like a tank and even if it failed it still functions as a vertical grip) and of course, the Trijicon ACOG/RMR.

My set up isn't the most up to date, coolest super tactical double SOCOM model these days but should the "worst case scenario" happen I have faith that it will do what it needs to do without major issue and that's all I need from it.  

I'm not sure what the MOA of my RMR is because the website descriptions has changed since I bought mine.  I know it's considerably smaller than my Dual Illumination RM 04 which I have mounted on my .44 magnum S&W revolver so it's either a 3.25 or 4 MOA red dot Dual Illumination.  I highly recommend the smaller MOA dots for mounting on an ACOG or rifle use in general, the larger dots are perfect for handguns but tend to block too much of the target at longer rifle distances.

I wanted to post a pic but since Photobucket turned into a greedy money leech of a photo storage site my photos are all but impossible to retrieve and post via other methods.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 4:04:18 PM EDT
[#3]
i think we talked on IM about this a bit too right?  i'm using a dual illumination on my TA33. i can't see have a battery powered RMR backup on an acog that is Apocalypse proof. kinda defeats the purpose in my book. i've looked through the LED versions and they remind my of tiny aimpoints which is a cool deal but the battery life is too short for me and removing a sight to install a new battery is not appealing.

at inside 50 yds, the dual has never presented a problem, outdoors.  the dual sucks indoors but i'm not overly concerned about sweeping a house since i'm not an LEO.

in the event of an EOTWAWKI event i'd be perfectly happy with my ACOG/RMR equipped rifle....but a house clearing event is just looking for trouble i'd rather avoid with any weapon. probably rather use a pistol anyway.
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 6:57:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
i think we talked on IM about this a bit too right?  i'm using a dual illumination on my TA33. i can't see have a battery powered RMR backup on an acog that is Apocalypse proof. kinda defeats the purpose in my book. i've looked through the LED versions and they remind my of tiny aimpoints which is a cool deal but the battery life is too short for me and removing a sight to install a new battery is not appealing.

at inside 50 yds, the dual has never presented a problem, outdoors.  the dual sucks indoors but i'm not overly concerned about sweeping a house since i'm not an LEO.

in the event of an EOTWAWKI event i'd be perfectly happy with my ACOG/RMR equipped rifle....but a house clearing event is just looking for trouble i'd rather avoid with any weapon. probably rather use a pistol anyway.
View Quote
We did! I appreciate the input!
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 11:01:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I ran this setup and didn't like it.  The RMR sits too high to be truly effective; you have a chin weld.  It's not worth it for the price.

Practically, I used it for hunting hogs and coyote.  It's a confusing optic (training might help), but I can't see how it's better than a red dot (weight) or LPV (more intuitive)
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
I went with the dual illuminated simply because I don't want to go through the hassle of taking it all apart to change the battery and then re-zeroing the RMR.  Zeroing the RMR is a pain in the ass, by the way.  Plus, I wanted to try an ACOG.

Attachment Attached File

If I had a mulligan, I'd probably just do another AP M4 with a G33 magnifier though.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 8:17:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I ran this setup and didn't like it.  The RMR sits too high to be truly effective; you have a chin weld.  It's not worth it for the price.

Practically, I used it for hunting hogs and coyote.  It's a confusing optic (training might help), but I can't see how it's better than a red dot (weight) or LPV (more intuitive)
View Quote
I agreed with this once.

But someone on this site suggested an option that actually works pretty darn great.

If you are right handed & right eyed, try rotating your firearm 45 degrees to the left.  Then use your left eye to look thru the RMR.  It actually works!
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top