Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/15/2017 1:56:43 PM EDT
I'm halfway kicking around putting a red dot on one of my rifles, but I'd like to have some sort of BDC on it.

What are my options?

What have you guys used & liked?
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:35:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Primary Arms ACSS reticle is the tits.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:38:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Eotech EXPS 3-4 also
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:38:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Had this on one of my AKs, it's a good reticle, but if you have any kind of astigmatism, your eyes may have issues acquiring a clear picture.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:40:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Also you have a magnifier right? Hard to pick up the dots without one
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Holosun 503g with 3x magnifier is what i have and like very much.  very crisp when under 3x.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:19:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Long time lurker and I know I have very little clout here due to post history, but +1 on the Holosun ACSS.

I just got one and it's GTG.

If you got some time check out the torture tests. That's what sold me.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#8]
You might also look at what Sig Arms has coming out in their Electro-Optics line.

They have some very interesting items in the Romeo 4, 5, & 6 lines.  Several reticle choices with outstanding battery life.  And several also have alternative power options like solar and now a capacitor battery/storage feature.

https://www.sigsauer.com/products/electro-optics/

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/electro-optics.html?product_sub_category=766%2C765

https://youtu.be/PJ78hecTcdU
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:04:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I saw that one, but I'm not a fan of the chevron & was really interested in something that's 30mmish in size.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Eotech EXPS 3-4 also
View Quote
The Eotech is the leading contender right now.

Wasn't planning on using a magnifier though, how necessary are they for this sight?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 5:28:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Wasn't planning on using a magnifier though, how necessary are they for this sight?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eotech EXPS 3-4 also

I tried one of the EOTech 3-4 for Limited Division 3-gun (where you can't use a magnifier), and I found the BDC capabilities useless.  Not that it is a bad idea, but because I simply can't see the target if it is far enough away that I need to use a BDC drop.  I can't physically see an 8" plate at 400 yards without magnification, so the BDC on a 1x red dot did me no good. YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:23:54 PM EDT
[#12]
not exactly the same, but take a look at the Burris XTR-ii 1.5-8x scope.  It has a "dual focal plane" which puts the red dot in the SFP, thus keeping a steady non-changing red dot, and the BDC reticle (which is damn good, btw) in the FFP, so it moves as you change the zoom.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:39:59 PM EDT
[#13]
Kinda want to try the acss with my 6 second mount for the more significant pistol drop out to 200yd.  Anyone tried one on a pistol or pcc?
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 7:55:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Unless you have excellent eye sight, the drops will look like a line at 1x instead of individual drops. It's really made to use with a magnifier.
Also, I'm not sure you can get the 3-4 models anymore as they weren't popular so maybe EOTech doesn't sell them anymore.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:24:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I tried one of the EOTech 3-4 for Limited Division 3-gun (where you can't use a magnifier), and I found the BDC capabilities useless.  Not that it is a bad idea, but because I simply can't see the target if it is far enough away that I need to use a BDC drop.  I can't physically see an 8" plate at 400 yards without magnification, so the BDC on a 1x red dot did me no good. YMMV.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Eotech EXPS 3-4 also

Hmm...that's a bummer.

Shooting limited in 3 gun was one of the reasons I was thinking about it.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 11:56:44 AM EDT
[#16]
For Limited/Tac-Irons, you may want to look at the Vortex Spitfire with the BDC turret cap.

Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
For Limited/Tac-Irons, you may want to look at the Vortex Spitfire with the BDC turret cap.

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DSC_0058.jpg
View Quote
I did not know that existed. Not exactly what I had in mind but interesting none the less.

Have you ever used one?  What's your thoughts on it?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:19:59 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

http://www.alloutdoor.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/DSC_0058.jpg
View Quote
Ooh. 3 MOA dot? How's it track?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I did not know that existed. Not exactly what I had in mind but interesting none the less.

View Quote
Sorry, no first hand experience. I only heard about it from a Limited shooter when he was also looking for a red dot with a BDC.
I think it's a cool concept although it's different than I thought it would work. The turret marks aren't MOA but are actual 100 yard increments. So, you zero at the 1 for 100 yards and 'dial' on the clock for anything longer.  The manual also says it's calibrated for 62gr at 2850fps so you could just do the conversion math to find the actual MOA on the turrets or maybe Vortex could just let you know.

I tried Limited/Tac Irons for long range for about 4 months and gave up and went back to scopes. It's for the young kids with young eyes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:18:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
-snip-
I tried Limited/Tac Irons for long range for about 4 months and gave up and went back to scopes. It's for the young kids with young eyes.
View Quote
What irons setup did you have?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:24:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

What irons setup did you have?
View Quote
I shot a red dot with an EOTech EXPS model.  The short range stuff was fine but I got tired of not being able to see the long range targets, let alone trying to hit them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:26:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Sorry, no first hand experience. I only heard about it from a Limited shooter when he was also looking for a red dot with a BDC.
I think it's a cool concept although it's different than I thought it would work. The turret marks aren't MOA but are actual 100 yard increments. So, you zero at the 1 for 100 yards and 'dial' on the clock for anything longer.  The manual also says it's calibrated for 62gr at 2850fps so you could just do the conversion math to find the actual MOA on the turrets or maybe Vortex could just let you know.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to do Heavy Metal using iron sights, but got away from it.

I'd like to do limited, but don't really want to fidddle with irons again.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:00:45 PM EDT
[#23]
I'm in the same boat, looking for a prism 1x optic. I like the thought of never fully relying on a battery. Anybody have experience with the Burris 1x prism optic?
My brother has one of their 3x prism scopes, but this is for my AR pistol and I don't want magnification.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:23:19 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote
Why would junk from that sleeze ball company that costs twice as much and probably be less reliable than the Holosun be the leading contender?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:31:15 PM EDT
[#25]
BTW...

Here are the reticles the user can select with the upcoming Sig Sauer Romeo4H optic:

Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:14:37 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
BTW...

Here are the reticles the user can select with the upcoming Sig Sauer Romeo4H optic:

https://media.midwayusa.com/productimages/880x660/alt1/829/circledot.jpg
View Quote
A couple interesting looking reticles.

Any experience with them?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:46:58 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

A couple interesting looking reticles.

Any experience with them?
View Quote
I have a Romeo 4C with the single dot or circle dot like an Eotech (I usually run with the circle dot).  So far it's been great.  50,000 hour battery life with a solar power backup.  In fact, the solar plate works well enough that it's usually powering the optic during the day (indoors or out) and will automatically switch to the battery if the ambient light isn't enough to light the reticle to whatever illumination setting I chose.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:05:54 PM EDT
[#28]

http://bushnell.com/all-products/rifle-scopes/ar-optics/1-4x-24mm-throw-down-pcl

Not sure this is what you would be looking for. It's a dot on 1 power, then go to 4 and you see the reticle.

http://www.vortexoptics.com/uploads/ret_strike-eagle_ar-bdc2_full-view.jpg

I think the Vortex is the same as the Bushnell.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Why would junk from that sleeze ball company that costs twice as much and probably be less reliable than the Holosun be the leading contender?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

L3 is just a bit higher-end than an aimpoint cloner.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 7:19:47 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hmm...that's a bummer.

Shooting limited in 3 gun was one of the reasons I was thinking about it.
View Quote
Non-magnified optic (as in 1x dot prismatic type or plain red dot) is best kept at the simple dot. BDC for anything out to 400 yds (99% of targets in 3 gun matches) is useless, way too clutter to see. A prime example of what looks good on paper doesn't translate to practical usage is the Burris AR1X with bdc.  Its open hash marks are 18" apart with the idea of fitting an IPSC sized target inside.  However, at 1x, to maintain correct bdc for 556, the marks are way too close together.  I tried it for one single match and pulled it off immediately after.  Perhaps okay for when you're just plinking, but in a match under the clock, there is no time to waste finding the target within the cluttered reticle.  I use the Leupold Prismatic 3 moa dot for hold over for targets beyond 250 yds (zero distance of my 55 gr blitzking load), very simple and quick.

Best 1x out there right now is the old Leupold Prismatic.  Ignore its piss poor illumination (don't need it anyway since reticle is etched, but coming from Leupold, this illumination design is well below par).  Too bad the Prismatic is discontinued.  The closest rival is Vortex Spitfire, the only thing negative about it is its factory mounting height, its a tad too high for me so I put it on my practice gun.  Burris is supposedly working on a replacement reticle for its AR1X with input from 3 gunners, but this has been put on the back burner due to other hot projects in front.

ETA - Another interesting option I saw this year at one of the matches, a customized Nightforce 1-4 that has bdc with its power ring permanently disabled by a custom shop.  Not cheap I'm sure but its legal in 1x/limited class.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 9:36:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Primary Arms ACSS reticle is the tits.
View Quote
Amen
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 1:15:29 PM EDT
[#32]
I've used the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism for Limited division 3gun. And for bay style rifle/carbine and 2gun matches. I have it on an 12.5" SBR.

Works great. Fast with crisp glass and dot. Hardly ever use illumination. Don't need it for daylight with white steel and tan cardboard. Some don't like the small center dot, but to me that's a huge plus, as I feel it is easier for +200 yard hits, which come up quite a bit where I normally shoot.

It outperforms it's price point, imo.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've used the Vortex Spitfire 1x Prism for Limited division 3gun. And for bay style rifle/carbine and 2gun matches. I have it on an 12.5" SBR.

Works great. Fast with crisp glass and dot. Hardly ever use illumination. Don't need it for daylight with white steel and tan cardboard. Some don't like the small center dot, but to me that's a huge plus, as I feel it is easier for +200 yard hits, which come up quite a bit where I normally shoot.

It outperforms it's price point, imo.
View Quote
Yep, its price point is spot on!  The small center dot is the same as Leupold, 3 moa, which is very good.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 11:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote
There was a guy here earlier by the name of "invictous" who would shit post in every optic thread just like you are now, and he is no longer with us.

Just a heads up if you like it here

If not, than continue shit posting to your heart's content

LOL on top of that you are criticising a "sleeze ball" company who was dishonest, yet you have a - 50% negative feedback here yourself?  I guess no one here should ever deal with you again on the EE either?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top