Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 11:21:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

They use commas instead of a dot for a decimal over yonder(Europe). It's down right un-American if you ask me.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

They use commas instead of a dot for a decimal over yonder(Europe). It's down right un-American if you ask me.
Quoted:
Is that part of Swedish language or is the implication that they don't understand English perfectly? 
See above.

ETA: In my experience, Swedes speak better English than many Americans.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:10:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I'll wait patiently for the inevitable M5s variant.    Until then my T2 and M4s still reign supreme in the RDS world.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 1:28:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
This
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'll wait patiently for the inevitable M5s variant.    Until then my T2 and M4s still reign supreme in the RDS world.
This
Not happening due to the mount.
Link Posted: 10/15/2017 6:48:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
ETA: About the time this was first announced there was also suddenly AA and AAA weapon lights and IR laser systems announced that points to there being groups of people who need the ability to use cheap standard batteries where lithium batteries can't be found or shipped to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
ETA: About the time this was first announced there was also suddenly AA and AAA weapon lights and IR laser systems announced that points to there being groups of people who need the ability to use cheap standard batteries where lithium batteries can't be found or shipped to.
Quoted:
Who the hell buys a $600+ Aimpoint and puts a 50 cent AA in it? Lithium AAs are like only $6 for a 2 or 4 pack. Also here in AK I can't find the damn 2L76 batteries anywhere. I could order them online but no-one seems to want to send lithium batteries to my PO Box.
They are a pain in the rear, check out the 49 CFR (Code, Federal Regulations) regarding HAZMAT shipments and then you have books for vessel and air (commercial and military air)

Quoted:
Lots of folks including the military. They do the same thing with the pvs 14s and when they corrode and explode, sometimes they get ruined.
I put alkalines in one of my Eotechs and it leaked but no real damage.
After that happened,  I put in lithiums.
In my unit, we use lithium batteries in ALL our gear (I have yet to see a battery that is not a BB-390 NiMH or lithium).

Quoted:
Yeah I forgot they issued this one. I remember reading lithiums have more export restrictions or something so I guess that makes sense.
They are a pain-in-the-arse. I had to ship some (.mil transport) just last month overseas. It can be done, just need a person who is qualified to ship the HAZMAT material do the packaging and paperwork (even in the US there are tight restrictions).

Quoted:
Concerning Aimpoint cost...  Aren't they made in Sweden?
Have you guys ever looked at the exchange rate between the USD and Swedish Kroner?
When I was there just last month, roughly 12 cents US to $1 Kronor (or about a 1 to 8 ratio)

Quoted:
Everything is high in Sweden.  LOL
A beer at a bar was over $10 when I was there back in 2002.  
4 shots of Absinthe was around $35 (US dollars, don't ask for kronor). A 1 cL "shot" of this nice rum (Smelled like coconut and chocolate, went down smooth) was $32 Kronor. I pulled out $1,000 kronor to spend, $126 was all that was charged to my account for that.

Quoted:
Correct. This optic was designed almost exclusively for DSS. They have agents literally throughout the globe in just about every country imaginable. DSS does not have the logistical support required to ship HAZMAT batteries to supply current optics. The state Dept. didn't want to go with Eotech and aimpoint catered to the contract.
Reports from DSS guys are that the glass is better and this comp m5 is the most durable aimpoint made to date. I know I'll be keeping my eye on it
Why not use standard air mail? As a HAZMAT certifiable official I have only ever done it international on a .mil transport. So I do not know when it is state department

Quoted:
The diplomatic pouch people at Dulles suck...  Shipping Li-on batteries isn't even the half of it.    Shipping normal items through the pouch sucks.
Come to think of it, I bet they make shipping regular alkaline batteries a son of a bitch too.  I'd have to check the regs again as I haven't been assigned overseas for a while.  :(
Just curious, is it more restricted using diplomatic post? Why not send lithium batteries via normal air freight? It can be done (I have done it, as recently as last month).

Quoted:
I don't think anyone will have an issue with a 2032 given how long the batteries last
I hate trying to pull out that button battery from the battery holder in my T2, afraid I'll bust one of the contacts (had a bad battery and had to pull it). Other than that, love my T2 on my AR pistol.

Quoted:
Aimpoint is Swedish after all.
Don't they have manufacturing here in the states as well though?

Quoted:
ETA: In my experience, Swedes speak better English than many Americans.
I was just there last month (September), to me it was like a New Yorker going South (different accent). But if they didn't know the American English term for a word, some of the things they'd say (mostly talking about teaching us their parachute procedures and what not).
Link Posted: 10/16/2017 4:56:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I've got the Pro and the M4. The M5 may have been made for a specific use elsewhere, but surely the engineers knew they would be liked here stateside.
I like the look of the M5, because it resembles a M4. But short of the M5 being a different battery, it's a T1/T2 with a foreign disease. I still like like the look of it.
I don't know if I can rationalize the want
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:10:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are my photos of the M5 with mount as issued to a certain named agency.  Didn't take any shots from the front or back, sorry.

Link Posted: 10/17/2017 12:55:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm digging that mount, appears to be reasonably priced as well.  I like how it doesn't have anything on the sides to snag on.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 2:14:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Can you verify the ocular lens size is the same as the T2?  It's spec'ed as such, but a lot of people believe it too be larger for some reason.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:22:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
You can buy a 3 pack of CR123s and shit in the fan until your guts blow out or you starve to death.
View Quote
Not in many countries outside of the United State you can't.  

And it is in those countries that this optic is aimed.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 2:02:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Can you verify the ocular lens size is the same as the T2?  It's spec'ed as such, but a lot of people believe it too be larger for some reason.
View Quote
I won't have one in front of me again for some time but I believe that is 100% true.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:53:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I like the way it looks and will probably get one eventually.

Especially if the lens and optical clarity of the dot are as good or better than the T2. It has to have a clean, round dot for me.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 7:21:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
This
Not seeing it, i think it can be easly done just like the M4S.  Look at the dimensions in relation to the battery compartment.  Who ever at Aimpoint told you that just wants to sell a bunch of the M5 first.
I will bet there is a Comp M5S
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 9:57:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I was told to off on an M5 on good authority...

Link Posted: 10/20/2017 5:16:37 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
Based on what? An upcoming M5S or something else? Some flaw in the design?
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 2:00:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do tell...
Link Posted: 10/20/2017 10:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
The only thing I can think of is that all of us who shot with the M5 went blind within a few days of using them.  Not a big deal.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 10:26:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Any practical advantage here (newer glass, battery life) vs the T-2?

I finally took the plunge and sold my last M4 to convert fully over to T-2s but the ability to use AAA lithium batteries is intriguing.
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 1:23:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Any practical advantage here (newer glass, battery life) vs the T-2?

I finally took the plunge and sold my last M4 to convert fully over to T-2s but the ability to use AAA lithium batteries is intriguing.
View Quote
No difference in battery life. It’d be nice to get a comparison vid
Link Posted: 11/7/2017 12:25:35 PM EDT
[#19]
It's funny, anytime someone releases some kind of new product they're is so much whining about it on here, I don't get it.  You know, 15-20 years ago there were way way less choices of what one might pick for good equipment.  Now people whine about having more, good choices.  It's weird.  I'm not saying people should just love a product because it's another choice.  But it's a longer T1/T2 that takes AAA batteries.  I mean, what is there to be curmudgeon about?   So don't buy one if you don't want AAA capability.  But some people might like that option.  

The only thing not to like is the price.  I'm with everyone about the whining about that.  
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top