BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/8/2017 4:49:44 PM EDT
So the new Aimpoint CompM5 has been released.  

Unfortunately the first production batch(es) are bound for .gov sales so it sounds like the first units for commercial sale won't fit the shelves for a few moths yet.  

The CompM5, for those who haven't heard, is close in size to the T1/T2 but runs on a AAA battery.  It uses the T1 format mounting holes so any of the Scalarworks or other cool mounting options will apply to the M5.  The M5 also has an additional piece of glass up front--or maybe a thicker front lens?--to improve the optic's durability in case of severe impact.

Otherwise, it sounds like the optic is pretty much the same stuff we've come to expect.  Long battery life, 4 NV 10 Daytime settings, etc.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 4:51:14 PM EDT
[#1]
Need an M5s model.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#2]
As I understand this the M5 is being made at the request of groups who work OCONUS who want a small T1-type but might have a hard time finding batteries overseas. The little lithium button battery is easy to find here but probably ain't super common in Africa or the Middle East.

An "S" model certainly would have seemed the most logical choice. Unless there's some kind of compatibility issues with a low compartment and legacy T1 mounts.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 6:55:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Need an M5s model.
View Quote
Got to sell the original model in hundreds of thousands of units first, then release the M5s to sell an upgraded model and make even more money. Capitalism bitches 
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 7:07:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Needs a 25mm window and on their choice of battery compartment position

Do they not see what's happening with the MRO that has slight magnification, fisheye, couldn't be uglier, but has a slightly larger ocular lens for cheekweld tolerance which creates its demand?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 8:29:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Needs a 25mm window and on their choice of battery compartment position

Do they not see what's happening with the MRO that has slight magnification, fisheye, couldn't be uglier, but has a slightly larger ocular lens for cheekweld tolerance which creates its demand?
View Quote
I have an MRO and, while it works okay in most cases, I prefer the T1. Yeah the field of view is slightly larger but the fisheye is annoying. Also the two NV settings (really dim and very dim) don't work with illumination and wash out too easily.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:18:56 AM EDT
[#6]
The M5 takes AAA batteries?

I still say the M2, M3 Carbine, or PRO is the best choice all around.

What was wrong that they had to switch from the cr 1/3n to the AA in the first place?

The Cr 1/3ns are tiny, not expensive when you buy them online; last a very long time and don't corrode like alkaline AAs do.

I love the Aimpoints I have.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:22:36 AM EDT
[#7]
I feel like some of our market demand analysis from a few minutes of reading makes their full time employees focused on this stuff seem negligent
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:34:27 AM EDT
[#8]
Nothing is wrong with the CR 1/3N but is it an international standard?

That's the idea with the M5. To provide an optic that uses a battery that's common in far corners of the globe.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:05:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Nothing is wrong with the CR 1/3N but is it an international standard?

That's the idea with the M5. To provide an optic that uses a battery that's common in far corners of the globe.
View Quote
Whether it's common or not, the Cr 1/3n can be purchased anywhere, as far as I know and lasts an extremely long time in Aimpoints; so.you only need one for several years and that's if you leave the Aimpoints on all of the time.

I am still on the original battery in a couple of my Aimpoints from at least 8 years ago. I bought a bunch of extra cheap online a while ago but will probably expire before I need to use them.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:12:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 12:59:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok. Understood.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:19:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What was wrong that they had to switch from the cr 1/3n to the AA in the first place?

The Cr 1/3ns are tiny, not expensive when you buy them online; last a very long time and don't corrode like alkaline AAs do.

View Quote
Who the hell buys a $600+ Aimpoint and puts a 50 cent AA in it? Lithium AAs are like only $6 for a 2 or 4 pack. Also here in AK I can't find the damn 2L76 batteries anywhere. I could order them online but no-one seems to want to send lithium batteries to my PO Box. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 4:28:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By  Alaskanforfreedom:
Who the hell buys a $600+ Aimpoint and puts a 50 cent AA in it?
View Quote
Lots of folks including the military. They do the same thing with the pvs 14s and when they corrode and explode, sometimes they get ruined.

I put alkalines in one of my Eotechs and it leaked but no real damage.
After that happened,  I put in lithiums.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 5:23:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Who the hell buys a $600+ Aimpoint and puts a 50 cent AA in it? Lithium AAs are like only $6 for a 2 or 4 pack. Also here in AK I can't find the damn 2L76 batteries anywhere. I could order them online but no-one seems to want to send lithium batteries to my PO Box. 
View Quote
Military uses cheap ass alkaline AAs in the M4/M4s series APs.  It's the only thing we have in our armory.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 6:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Military uses cheap ass alkaline AAs in the M4/M4s series APs.  It's the only thing we have in our armory.
View Quote
Yeah I forgot they issued this one. I remember reading lithiums have more export restrictions or something so I guess that makes sense. 
Link Posted: 9/10/2017 7:47:48 PM EDT
[#16]
So they junked up a nice optic to be mil-spec?  The cloners will pay out for 'em after some 'in the wild' pics get posted.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#17]
$1000.00 MSRP. Check their FB page. I have a post asking questions about it under sean hoody.

Nope. So much nope.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:08:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
$1000.00 MSRP. Check their FB page. I have a post asking questions about it under sean hoody.

Nope. So much nope.
View Quote
They said the MSRP with a standard mount is $922. I believe the MSRP on the T2 with a standard mount is $872 so it looks like a $50 difference. You can get the T2 with a LaRue mount for $759 so this one could possibly be as much as $809.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:18:14 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

They said the MSRP with a standard mount is $922. I believe the MSRP on the T2 with a standard mount is $872 so it looks like a $50 difference. You can get the T2 with a LaRue mount for $759 so this one could possibly be as much as $809.
View Quote
Thats still 800 bucks for a 1x red dot. Aimpoints are great optics but that is insane.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:19:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
So they junked up a nice optic to be mil-spec?  The cloners will pay out for 'em after some 'in the wild' pics get posted.
View Quote
I've never once seen a DSS Mk18 clone...
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:28:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thats still 800 bucks for a 1x red dot. Aimpoints are great optics but that is insane.
View Quote
I agree.

That's why I haven't bought nor will  
ever buy anything else than a M2 ,M3, or PRO. ( or perhaps a Carbine optic with a better mount)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I agree.

That's what I haven't bought nor will  ever buy anything else than a M2 ,M3, or PRO. ( Or perhaps a Carbine optic with a better mount)
View Quote
I'm going to say first and formost, aimpoints are solid amazing optics. But the only aimpoint worth a damn is the PRO. Excluding people that actually NEED the more enhanced features for their job ;)

I remember when the SRS was first announced and everyone shit their pants because of the price. (NOT trying to start an optic war here. Simply price statement)
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:11:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree.

That's why I haven't bought nor will  
ever buy anything else than a M2 ,M3, or PRO. ( or perhaps a Carbine optic with a better mount)
View Quote
I've bought barely used T1s for less than the price of a new PRO and barely used/BNIB "used" T2s for only a little more.

Just have to know where to look and be patient.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:07:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:13:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I agree with the post above on the why. Even for civilian use. But at some point one has to begin to wonder... a lot of this technology is ancient. This should have been a 600 optic.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 7:33:38 PM EDT
[#26]
There is no reason other then $ that AP's cost so much.....  You KNOW they must make a ton of $ on each one.

But I'll keep my M4s.  I like that when I run out of bullets, I can release the quick mount & then bash the M4s into a BG's head knock them out, remount it then go get more ammo.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:12:50 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
There is no reason other then $ that AP's cost so much.....  You KNOW they must make a ton of $ on each one.
View Quote
I agree.

That being said, the PRO is, the by far best bang for your buck; with the modern Aimpoint offerings.

I'd even buy a Carbine optic and used mount over the more expensive Aimpoints

The carbine is the old ML2 and Pro is the almost M3. It's like an M 2.5 lol.

The micros and other offerings don't justify the much higher price tag. ( Imo)

The government and military has the green;so cost isn't an issue to them.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:23:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I'll wait patiently for the inevitable M5s variant.    Until then my T2 and M4s still reign supreme in the RDS world.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:23:57 PM EDT
[#29]
Concerning Aimpoint cost...  Aren't they made in Sweden?

Have you guys ever looked at the exchange rate between the USD and Swedish Kroner?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:24:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
I'll wait patiently for the inevitable M5s variant.    Until then my T2 and M4s still reign supreme in the RDS world.
View Quote
And DS has been using EOtechs up to this point... 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
View Quote
They stated that the s variant will not be made. It interfered with mounts
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Concerning Aimpoint cost...  Aren't they made in Sweden?

Have you guys ever looked at the exchange rate between the USD and Swedish Kroner?
View Quote
I know that labor rates are high in Sweden.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:39:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I know that labor rates are high in Sweden.
View Quote
Everything is high in Sweden.  LOL

A beer at a bar was over $10 when I was there back in 2002. 
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:49:56 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

They stated that the s variant will not be made. It interfered with mounts
View Quote
That's too bad.  Then again the high mount battery housing might not be that bad on such a compact unit.  I guess I'll just have to play around with one when available.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 10:52:11 PM EDT
[#35]
No pics?
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 11:13:36 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
No pics?
View Quote
Pics Here
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#37]
Looks like internally it's the same as a t2 with the added length being used for a sacrificial window. You can see the slanted and red coated lens back inside and then a flat clear lense out front.

Kinda cool you can clean the lense without worrying about scratching the shit out of the coating.

Wonder if the ocular has a similar set up?
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:10:37 PM EDT
[#38]
You can scour the EE and find very lightly used T2's with larue mounts for $600-$625
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Need an M5s model.
View Quote
Not happening due to mount obstruction apparently.

Need a T3 25mm micro
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Last successive post but interesting - the M5 product page shows a 1.0 magnification with a +/- 3%.  What I'm reading is this is basically saying 1.03 magnification.  The first you'll see on an AP product page.  This is probably in line with their other RDS's as most know they aren't true 1x
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Last successive post but interesting - the M5 product page shows a 1.0 magnification with a +/- 3%.  What I'm reading is this is basically saying 1.03 magnification.  The first you'll see on an AP product page.  This is probably in line with their other RDS's as most know they aren't true 1x
View Quote
Pretty close to the 1.05x that Trijicon claims for their MRO.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 5:26:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I totally get the "why" of this optic.

But I'll agree with those who see little point to it for the civilian shooter.

I've also noticed that AP seems to slowly raise their prices about $75 with each feature release and slowly raised them to stupid cash levels.
View Quote
To me, it's worth it if it has animated emojis.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:09:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

To me, it's worth it if it has animated emojis.
View Quote
Looking forward to you reviewing this, but I wager won't be much of a difference between the T1/T2 in terms of performance/benefits and downsides.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 8:25:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Looking forward to you reviewing this, but I wager won't be much of a difference between the T1/T2 in terms of performance/benefits and downsides.
View Quote
Sorry man, not doing videos at this time. But, I betcha Garand Thumb will get one though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:19:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Yep, a 25mm Micro with a AAA battery compartment built into the mount, preferably lower third would be perfect for the T3.  But even keeping the 2032 batteries are not an issue CONUS.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:49:29 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeap.

I have convinced myself the M3 is the best all around Aimpoint.

I foolishly sold mine to buy Micros, but then I realized my mistake and have been hoarding M3 Aimpoints whenever I can find them.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 9:53:41 PM EDT
[#47]
The problem with the M4 is it is too bulky and has no provision for a rubber overcover.

The T2 will reign supreme over the M5 due to the M5 having a high AAA battery compartment that obstructs view.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 10:09:37 PM EDT
[#48]
what size is the lens on the M5? I feel like its a major fail if its a similar size to the T2 rather then the M4. I mean who needs another T2 variant. Well whatever, I am not a T2 fan the window is just to small for picking up the dot quickly but I am pretty picky and want the best of both world when I purchase things.
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 11:48:38 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The problem with the M4 is it is too bulky and has no provision for a rubber overcover.

The T2 will reign supreme over the M5 due to the M5 having a high AAA battery compartment that obstructs view.
View Quote
To be fair the compartment is on the right side, the same as the eye looking through it for righties.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 2:58:01 AM EDT
[#50]
Did you guys not read the thread? This was designed to be a micro that takes a common battery for users in various environments that have a hard time getting 2032 batteries. IMO it was not designed to compete with the MRO or another Aimpoint product. It was a specific product developed to cater to a very specific user issue. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top