AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 12:38:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Sorry about the rant.  I can't remember if I said this, but Stukas87 was one BTDT guy that said he wouldn't hesitate to buy a PA advanced Micro.  I guess he can correct me if I'm wrong.  But I remember filing that in the ole brain bucket.  

Only thing about that is one of the PA red dots didn't do so well with the the parallax test.  But I wasn't sure which one it was exactly cause they called it MD-05.   But having said that, it did a little better than a T-1 it seemed.  So...... there's that.  

Then there is always the Leupold mini rds thingy.  I think those are a good choice.  But then you're getting back into Aimpoint price territory.  

I'm interested in the Burris FF3.  And IMHO, I'm not sure I'm all that concerned how great it is (meaning I'm not sure I feel like I NEED aimpoint, even if it was on my HD rifle).  Any RDS can go kaput when you don't want it to because batteries.  Sure, an aimpoint is less likely.  But it still happens.  Any RDS should probably be run with irons either all up or at least flippable quickly.  And as some said, I'm not going to run it that hard.  Most of us civvies don't.  If you feel like you're going to beat the snot out of it, then you may need to spend more to get more durability.  But there again, the PA seems to do well in the beat it up and still work category.  I'm not sure if the holosun is as good, but you would think it should be if it's made in the same place.  

Now the etched reticle deal, that's a good idea.
View Quote
The LCO? That was one of the worst performers on Green Eye Tacticals tests. 
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 6:57:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Buy once/cry once. Get a T1 and call it a day.

Better battery life than an EOtech.

Simple reticle.

Lighter.

Proven.
View Quote
The mantra of every AR owner...
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The LCO? That was one of the worst performers on Green Eye Tacticals tests. 
View Quote
No, sorry I forgot the name at the time.  The delta point.  I thought saying Mini RDS would make it clear.  My bad.  Kyle Lamb was promoting the Deltapoint and a few on here have said good things about them.  And the view through them is as big as a T-1/2.    But might not have the battery life.......  I think they weren't even saying how long.....  I forget if that's the case or not.   I like how optics like that obscure less of your sight picture.  Easier on my brain.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 4:34:28 PM EDT
[#4]
For under $500 I would recommend the Holosun 503 or 515 if you want the circle dot option and auto sleep/awake. It also has a very nice QD mount with 1/3 co-witness. Very nice but doesn't have a lifetime warranty.

Sig has the new ROMEO5 XDR which has the circle dot option and auto sleep/awake. It has exposed but hidden turrets similar to the MRO plus an absolute co-witness mount that comes with a 1/3 co-witness spacer. It also has a life time warranty (no paperwork needed and passes to future owners).

I'm looking to sell my HS515CU (which I love) for the new Sig XDS.
Link Posted: 9/15/2017 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

No, sorry I forgot the name at the time.  The delta point.  I thought saying Mini RDS would make it clear.  My bad.  Kyle Lamb was promoting the Deltapoint and a few on here have said good things about them.  And the view through them is as big as a T-1/2.    But might not have the battery life.......  I think they weren't even saying how long.....  I forget if that's the case or not.   I like how optics like that obscure less of your sight picture.  Easier on my brain.
View Quote
That's why I went with an RMR.
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:01:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

That's why I went with an RMR.
View Quote
Can we get a pic of your set up?  
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 4:25:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm on my phone and for the life of me can't figure out how to do it
Link Posted: 9/16/2017 9:53:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 10:38:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:20:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Not for my savage but I just ordered a TRS-25 to put on my 15-22
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 4:32:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
i know a lot of folks hate them for various reasons but i am real fan of the trij srs. i like the bigger window and battery life is excellent. weight is really a non issue with me for an RDS they are all lighter than a magnified optics and a few ounces really means nothing on an otherwise 8lb rifle.

i am not a fan of the current "micro" mindset. i want a bigger window with a easy to find reticle. i want a large field of view through the optic. that was one of the great thing eotech had going for it. i get tunnel vision looking through small tubes.
View Quote
Yessir...me too....the Aimpoint CompM4s is my favorite rifle sight for the reason mentioned.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 5:09:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
i know a lot of folks hate them for various reasons but i am real fan of the trij srs. i like the bigger window and battery life is excellent. weight is really a non issue with me for an RDS they are all lighter than a magnified optics and a few ounces really means nothing on an otherwise 8lb rifle.

i am not a fan of the current "micro" mindset. i want a bigger window with a easy to find reticle. i want a large field of view through the optic. that was one of the great thing eotech had going for it. i get tunnel vision looking through small tubes.
View Quote
Ironically me too! Ironic because I use an RMR. I love the SRS. Just don't love it for $1000. If I could find it for 500-600 like they were in sale a few years ago I'd snag one
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Steiner r1x?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Dot clarity, blue hue mostly gone, and the marketing team would point out the housing change to protect the top elevation cap. That last one does little for me but it's there.
View Quote
I read the T2 has less parallax error than the T1.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:22:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Dot clarity, blue hue mostly gone, and the marketing team would point out the housing change to protect the top elevation cap. That last one does little for me but it's there.
By around 1000%.  It's sou ads less dramatic when looking at MOA shifts vs. putting a % on it, but yes, much worse with the T1.  I went all T2 before the test came out.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:11:56 PM EDT
[#16]
OP, I'm in a similar boat. Running a PA 1-4 and, with the mount, I think I'm around 25oz.
No likey.
I'm giving serious consideration to the Holosun HS503G with an abridged acss reticle. You get circle/chevron with ranging dots below for when longer range may be needed and the choice of turning the circle on & off at will.  Lot of great reviews, under 5 oz, a touch over $200.
Is it a T1? No
Am I being dropped into North Korea next week?  Mattis hasn't gotten back to me yet.
I've got one in college, one looking at colleges, and I'll spend my money the way I see fit.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 3:30:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 4:57:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
i got 2 NIB at a local shop for 400.00ea as part of a package deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ironically me too! Ironic because I use an RMR. I love the SRS. Just don't love it for $1000. If I could find it for 500-600 like they were in sale a few years ago I'd snag one
Newer reflective coating updated models?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:04:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

that'd be a good price for a type 2. and still pretty decent for a type 1. I want an FDE one :P
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:16:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
that'd be a good price for a type 2. and still pretty decent for a type 1. I want an FDE one :P
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hd a gen1.  Almost unusable in certain conditions.  Triji would have to still take them back for the update even at that price
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:55:03 PM EDT
[#21]
Hate to say it but the Aimpoint Micro T1/T2 or H1/H2 is the only way to go.  Get the 2 MOA dot.

I've run both the 223 and 556 (week long) courses at Gunsite.  Plenty of failures with cheap equipment, and even issues with EOTech.  The Aimpoints ran flawlessly and instructors only recommended Aimpoint.

Not cheap - but they will last a lifetime and you can leave them on and only need to change the batteries every 5 years!
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I hd a gen1.  Almost unusable in certain conditions.  Triji would have to still take them back for the update even at that price
View Quote
was yours mounted on a pistol? Mine is mounted on my AR and I have had 0 issues with it. The LED models were known for being finicky for pistols. I have no experience in person on this, merely parroting information.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:47:29 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
was yours mounted on a pistol? Mine is mounted on my AR and I have had 0 issues with it. The LED models were known for being finicky for pistols. I have no experience in person on this, merely parroting information.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, rifle.  Bought a gen1 when they first came out.  /internal reflection and better/solar panel were not up to snuff after multiple uses.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 2:55:03 AM EDT
[#24]
OP,

I bought an EXPS2-0 and couldn't be happier. Eotech's issues were fixed on optics produced after Oct 2016. I ended up only paying $380 for it after sale and rebate.

This is like the 4th time I've went with a product despite what forums and the internet has to say about it, and due to further investigating in the real world I ended 100% satisfied with said product.
I based my decision off not being impressed with red dots in general. Witnessing 2 M68s fail while serving before we even made it in theater, and just not falling into the hype.
Secondly, is the fact that the EXPS3's have been the most common sight I've seen in Afghanistan while doing force protection on ranger and ODA compounds, Elcan is second, despite seeing Polish and Hungarian forces with Eotechs also.
I have made side chat with a few Rangers and 1 co-worker who was a former and they've either stated they have had ZERO issues or, haven't been effected by it since they re-zero once in theater and consistently check zero. One stating he wasn't even aware of the Eotech ordeal until a year after. I've spoken with a MARSOC captain about SOCOM purchasing Aimpoints to replace Eotech and he bluntly stated: "yeah, we're still going to use Eotechs"

These statements made me think, really how big is the Eotech problem? Well, Eotech sales have not been affected by the faults and they're still TOP selling optics, which supports my theory regarding negative criticism being an internet trend:
20 users have a fault, and it will be told and retold to 5000 others, 10,000 times over again. 5,000 users are completely satisfied, and no one will hear about it.

I did not go around asking questions to be convinced to buy the product, I went around asking questions because I was convinced there is a day and night difference between the internet and real life. Just get what YOU want. I'm happy I did

Also if you're not already aware, If you want something light on the wallet you can get a 512 for around $260 after rebate. The rebate period expires in November though.

-Whiskey
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:38:00 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 12:44:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
OP,

I bought an EXPS2-0 and couldn't be happier. Eotech's issues were fixed on optics produced after Oct 2016. I ended up only paying $380 for it after sale and rebate.

This is like the 4th time I've went with a product despite what forums and the internet has to say about it, and due to further investigating in the real world I ended 100% satisfied with said product.
I based my decision off not being impressed with red dots in general. Witnessing 2 M68s fail while serving before we even made it in theater, and just not falling into the hype.
Secondly, is the fact that the EXPS3's have been the most common sight I've seen in Afghanistan while doing force protection on ranger and ODA compounds, Elcan is second, despite seeing Polish and Hungarian forces with Eotechs also.
I have made side chat with a few Rangers and 1 co-worker who was a former and they've either stated they have had ZERO issues or, haven't been effected by it since they re-zero once in theater and consistently check zero. One stating he wasn't even aware of the Eotech ordeal until a year after. I've spoken with a MARSOC captain about SOCOM purchasing Aimpoints to replace Eotech and he bluntly stated: "yeah, we're still going to use Eotechs"

These statements made me think, really how big is the Eotech problem? Well, Eotech sales have not been affected by the faults and they're still TOP selling optics, which supports my theory regarding negative criticism being an internet trend:
20 users have a fault, and it will be told and retold to 5000 others, 10,000 times over again. 5,000 users are completely satisfied, and no one will hear about it.

I did not go around asking questions to be convinced to buy the product, I went around asking questions because I was convinced there is a day and night difference between the internet and real life. Just get what YOU want. I'm happy I did

Also if you're not already aware, If you want something light on the wallet you can get a 512 for around $260 after rebate. The rebate period expires in November though.

-Whiskey
View Quote
I wish we had a place we could tack stuff like this.   Thank you for your service.   And thank you for your input.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 1:43:26 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
one of each gen. no real issues with either, they do have some internal reflection but it has never bothered me nor made it unusable. then again i shoot both eyes open and my primary eye is picking up a dot not a "target". solar panel is fine on both no issues at all. 

i can see how the internal reflection in bright sun would bother some, but it's a non issue for me. to be honest i really can't tell a difference on either of them
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, rifle.  Bought a gen1 when they first came out.  /internal reflection and better/solar panel were not up to snuff after multiple uses.
one of each gen. no real issues with either, they do have some internal reflection but it has never bothered me nor made it unusable. then again i shoot both eyes open and my primary eye is picking up a dot not a "target". solar panel is fine on both no issues at all. 

i can see how the internal reflection in bright sun would bother some, but it's a non issue for me. to be honest i really can't tell a difference on either of them
Interesting.  On mine I had three dots in certain lighting and angles.  I did like the way it looked and the field of dot flexibility due to large ocular lens.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:27:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:41:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Hate to say it but the Aimpoint Micro T1/T2 or H1/H2 is the only way to go.  Get the 2 MOA dot.

I've run both the 223 and 556 (week long) courses at Gunsite.  Plenty of failures with cheap equipment, and even issues with EOTech.  The Aimpoints ran flawlessly and instructors only recommended Aimpoint.

Not cheap - but they will last a lifetime and you can leave them on and only need to change the batteries every 5 years!
View Quote
5 years? not on higher settings.

do people really leave their aimpoints on when they are not being used?  i guess those would be the random threads we see of dead battery aimpoints.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:35:47 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

do people really leave their aimpoints on when they are not being used?  i guess those would be the random threads we see of dead battery aimpoints.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I change my batteries every two years and of course leave them on
Link Posted: 9/20/2017 9:23:36 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
OP,

-Whiskey
View Quote
Any idea where I can find one at that price? I had a 512 years ago and liked it
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 12:43:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I saw 2 512's in the ee last night.  Along with some newer exps's.  The 512's were $285 and $325 if memory serves me correctly.    

There was one guy selling 2 exps's that were kind of special.  Had a reticle with another dot below the center dot.  Calibrated for 7 yards.   Those were $ 425 I think.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:19:54 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I wish we had a place we could tack stuff like this.   Thank you for your service.   And thank you for your input.
View Quote
I wish there was also. I've expressed these points before. And thank you, I'm no longer in the military but a private security contractor.
Link Posted: 9/21/2017 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Any idea where I can find one at that price? I had a 512 years ago and liked it
View Quote
Sure, I went on gun.deals (slickguns) and did a search for eotech 512 and this was the first result (most current):

"EOtech 512.A65 / 1 Reflex Sight - $343.99 after coupon "SK1625" (Members Only) $268 after $75 MIR"

gun.deals

The Sportsmans Guide membership has a free 30day trial, so you don't have to do anything special but checkout and click "trial". IMO there is no other red dot type optic even close for the price and definitely nothing battle proven for this price 'new'.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#35]
I really like my Aimpoint PRO, durable and great battery life. The included mount isn't terrible for a factory job either, The rifle I have put mine on has been used and shot quite a bit with no shift, would buy again.
Link Posted: 9/22/2017 3:00:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote
Aimpoint designed the optics to be left on. Why else would they list 50,000 hour battery life? Also as far as your higher settings comment,  it depends on the optic my Comp M4 has an 80,000 hour battery life on setting 10/12 that's with an alkaline battery. I use lithium A As and leave it on setting 10 which is bright enough to leave the dot able to be picked up easily even when using a 500 lumen light pointed at an off white wall. What's more surprising is people turn their Aimpoints off. Actually depending upon which Aimpoint you have there may not be an off setting. Many NV capable Aimpoints don't have off settings but NV settings were the eye can't pick up the dot. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:27:07 PM EDT
[#37]
how about the HS510c?

I've never had an eotech but compared the holosun side by side with a buddy's eotech. The holosun has better glass, a crisper reticle, the body has less of an outline and is less visible in your field of view, and it has about 30x the battery life, auto off and on, and solar. It is better in every regard. It has a stout aluminum unibody and a titanium hood. It is my favorite red dot and the easiest one I've ever shot through. My only complaint is that they didn't partner with primary arms for the ACSS red dot reticle.

It is nowhere near as proven as the eotech though
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 3:09:25 PM EDT
[#38]
OP, for serious work the only RDS I'll buy going forward is the T2 or the new CompM5, and I'd also consider the LCO.  That said, i wouldn't hesitate to put a post-2016 EOTech XPS or EXPS on a carbine or two, but more because I love HWS tech and it's great to train with.  For range toys (e.g. HK SP5K, HK416 22LR, etc.) I'm quite happy with the Holosun HS503GU.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 9:34:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Here's mine
- RM06 Type 2 (3.25 MOA)
- ADM Absolue co-witness mount

Link Posted: 10/8/2017 5:43:45 PM EDT
[#40]
For HD, a red dot is the way to go. Anything with magnification, or an etched reticle introduces limitations, that an electronic sight does not have.

For me, always on is a must have in a HD optic, I don't want to be messing with buttons and knobs when suddenly awoken in the middle of the night. So battery life is king...

The sights that have motion-sense, can work, but it depends on their sensitivity, auto-shutoff, and base battery life. Doing some rough figures, if the optic is sensative enough that it turns on when you do something simple, like closing the closet door, or some other souch thing... With an auto shutoff of 10hrs... And it has a base battery life of 3000hrs on your brightness setting... Assuming it only gets activated inadvertently once a day...

After 300 days, it will be dead, not even a full year... But if the motion activation causes it to turn off after only a few minutes, then its likely not an issue.

As far as optic size... I find that an uncluttered micro sized sight, pushed forward on the receiver rail, makes the smaller field of view through the optic a non-issue, with it forward, it obscures less of your vision, and using both eyes, you get a fairly clear and unobstructed view.

And as for the reticle... Personal preference is important... But many guys who are in harms way use simple dot reticles, and they seem to have no issues. Most of the electronic sights I see, seem to be dot reticle types.

When it comes to sight options, this is my take on it...

The Aimpoint micro sights are awesome, but a bit too expensive for me. You are looking at $850 with a mount, and there are other well respected sights that cost less.

The Aimpoint PRO, is a great optic, for that $425, you get a robust sight, with great battery life, and an included QD mount. I'm a fan of smaller sights, but I still like the PRO.

The Eotech sights are nice, the reticle is really quick to use, but I don't like the low battery life. Do they offer verions with motion activation? If so, I am guessing that is in the higher end, and higher priced, models.

The Sig Romeo sights offer a circle dot option, and have great battery life... If you get the nicer Romeo 4 versions anyway... They are similar to micro sized optics, so if you like a larger sight, then they may not be the way to go.

The Trijicon RMR sights... Small, uncluttered. Push that out on the receiver rail, and it will not obscure much of anything in your field of view. They seem to me, that they are more suited to a role as a backup/supliment to a magnified optic... But people use them as primary sights just fine. Get one with a larger 6moa or 9moa dot, very quick to find and get on target, and at typical HD distances, its not going to affect accuracy... At longer ranges, yeah.

The Trijicon MRO... I really do like this sight, as far as using it. The feild of view is very good. It is a bit bigger than the micro sized Aimpoints, but much smaller than the PRO, yet still has that wide feild of view... My biggest grip with the MRO is the exposed zero adjustment controls, and the mushy feeling adjustments, they just don't feel positive. I think the adjustments needed to be at least recessed a bit more, or have the adjustments be more possitive... Preferably both... I don't know if inadvertant zero adjustment is something to really be worried over, whether it actually happens for some people... Or if its just a theoretical possibility only in my head... But if that is not a concern to you, its a great way to go. Price is pretty good too.

There are also the lower cost options, like the Primary Arms red dots, or Holosun... Many models with awesome battery life, and some have the circle dot reticle. They seem to be plenty robust for HD work, maybe more... But the overall fit/finish and quality is not up to the levels of Aimpoint and the other higher end brands. I have a couple PA red dots, and like them.

Many of the Vortex options suffer from similar issues as the Eotechs... Low battery life, and must be manually activated.

Thats my take on things.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top