BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2017 10:16:54 PM EDT
Not really enjoying my PA 1-6 as it makes the rifle to heavy for my liking especially as my go to HD rifle so Im thinking about going back to a red dot.   Id like to get that Vortex razor UH-1 but it seems they are on backorder every where.  Are Eotechs ok now? I owned a 512 and 552 few years ago no problems with either the XPS2.0 on sale at midway for 424 plus rebate.  Looking at the MRO and the aimpoint pro also. Had a Comp M3 years ago but just never liked having just the red dot the circle dot like the eotech Ive always liked the best.   Then again on the cheaper end I have had great success with my holosun 503c, its been on a AR and now my scorpion with no issues either.

What should I go with? Got a co worker in need of an optic so hes prime candidate to buy my PA 1-6
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:28:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy once/cry once. Get a T1 and call it a day.

Better battery life than an EOtech.

Simple reticle.

Lighter.

Proven.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:46:26 PM EDT
[#2]
not sure how much your scope weighs but if you like the scope and are good with it from up close to distance, maybe you could lighten the rifle? skinny barrel, less rail, less stuff?

my rifle with a trijicon TR21 would not be the first rifle i grab for home defense but the scope is light enough it doesnt bother me weight wise since its on a skinny 16" barrel and geissele rail.

my  "HD" rifle has a RX30 with fixed irons. i'm not a big fan of batteries.

weight shouldnt be a problem around the house, in fact i have been known to have my AR10 16" barrel with aimpoint sitting around the livin room before and that sucker aint light!

only you can pick the RDS, they all get the job done. just figure out which size and functions you like best
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 10:48:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Simple reticle.

Lighter.

Proven.
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:19:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd go T2.  Nominal price increase for notable upgrades over a T1.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
To al these people recommending micros, did you even read his post about not liking the single dot?

To OP I would take the EOtech over the vortex. I might go with the xps3/exps3 if you can find a good deal on it over the 2.

It seems you like the full sized optics. I would think a pro would suit you ok IF you did choose to go the single dot route. It is around the same price point as the others you listed.

In the end, you are the one using it. If you prefer the circle dot then go with the EOtech.

ACTUALLY the sig Romeo 4 series can switch between a single dot and a circle dot. Maybe check one of those out?
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:27:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
not sure how much your scope weighs but if you like the scope and are good with it from up close to distance, maybe you could lighten the rifle? skinny barrel, less rail, less stuff?

my rifle with a trijicon TR21 would not be the first rifle i grab for home defense but the scope is light enough it doesnt bother me weight wise since its on a skinny 16" barrel and geissele rail.

my  "HD" rifle has a RX30 with fixed irons. i'm not a big fan of batteries.

weight shouldnt be a problem around the house, in fact i have been known to have my AR10 16" barrel with aimpoint sitting around the livin room before and that sucker aint light!

only you can pick the RDS, they all get the job done. just figure out which size and functions you like best
View Quote
Sorry for the high jack.... how is that rx30?!? I've been playing around with an rx34 to replace my rm06. Just thinking of something different.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:39:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
To al these people recommending micros, did you even read his post about not liking the single dot?

To OP I would take the EOtech over the vortex. I might go with the xps3/exps3 if you can find a good deal on it over the 2.

It seems you like the full sized optics. I would think a pro would suit you ok IF you did choose to go the single dot route. It is around the same price point as the others you listed.

In the end, you are the one using it. If you prefer the circle dot then go with the EOtech.

ACTUALLY the sig Romeo 4 series can switch between a single dot and a circle dot. Maybe check one of those out?
View Quote
He said he was looking at single dot types prior.  And the trade-offs for an Eotech are too great to not work on getting over single dot aversions.
Link Posted: 9/6/2017 11:44:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

He said he was looking at single dot types prior.  And the trade-offs for an Eotech are too great to not work on getting over single dot aversions.
View Quote
He did not. He mentioned going back to red dots then immediately asked about holographic. The OP lumped the two together.

Also, he seems to have an affinity for larger style optics. If one were to suggest something the M4 would fit the best excluding budget.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:06:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
He did not. He mentioned going back to red dots then immediately asked about holographic. The OP lumped the two together.

Also, he seems to have an affinity for larger style optics. If one were to suggest something the M4 would fit the best excluding budget.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Got it.  So the statement about looking at the MRO and Aimpoint PRO doesn't exist in the OP.  

And the Eotech is a straight compromise.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:23:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Im looking at the MRO the aimpoint pro/carbine, eotechs, and  vortex basically everything in the 500 ish range.  T2/1/h1s are all over my budget.  I do like the eotech recticle but Im not bound to it.

My rifle is a Savage MSR 15 recon 7lbs naked the PA 1-6 plus mount adds almost 2 lbs the only other thing on the rifle is a surefire g2x light

I was always happy with eotech before I sold mine off and went with the 1-6 and other magnified optics scopes for a while now I have a dedicated scoped AR.  I also like vortex optics have used a lot of their stuff. The full sized optics are generally cheaper than micros all the ones Im looking at are less than 500. Range use and HD will be the main use  the zombie fad is over so cant use that excuse sooo antifa riots?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 9:56:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Got it.  So the statement about looking at the MRO and Aimpoint PRO doesn't exist in the OP.  

And the Eotech is a straight compromise.
View Quote
No. The MRO and PRO existed along with a line saying how they prefer circle dot style.

The MRO was ONLY micro style listed. It had one common thing, price. It was pretty clear to deduce that the OP is trying to stay under 500.

OP aimpoint micro's are over priced. If you prefer an EOtech, go eotech. If battery life is a concern then a holosun or sig should combine decent battery life and a circle dot for you. You may be able to train into a single dot, but why do so if you already know your preference? If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Unless you are TRYING to branch out, stick with what you like and can engage effectively with.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:38:25 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:41:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 10:48:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Except the 503c from Holosun.
View Quote
I DO stand corrected. My only counter is that the 503c has the circle dot.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:22:00 AM EDT
[#15]
Thanks for all the advice guys
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Is it just the weight issue? There are 1-4s that are lighter than Eo's...
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:52:49 PM EDT
[#17]
If you like the Holosun, why not get another? I have multiple 503GU's and love them. Like you, I'm not a fan of "dot only" either. I find circle dots WAY faster and easier than dot only (as well as giving you a smaller "dot" for the precise shots).
Also, have you considered PA's "ACSS" reticles? I have no experience with them, but it has the circle (more like horseshoe)/dot configuration. Worth a look! You can even get that ACSS in a trijicon Acog now (44 ACSS model).
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 12:58:54 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you like the Holosun, why not get another? I have multiple 503GU's and love them. Like you, I'm not a fan of "dot only" either. I find circle dots WAY faster and easier than dot only (as well as giving you a smaller "dot" for the precise shots).
Also, have you considered PA's "ACSS" reticles? I have no experience with them, but it has the circle (more like horseshoe)/dot configuration. Worth a look! You can even get that ACSS in a trijicon Acog now (44 ACSS model).
View Quote
No issues with my current holosun which is why I'm still considering one.   I have the acss reticle in the 1-6  don't think I'd ever really need it.

I may hold  out for the vortex
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except the 503c from Holosun.
And how right above your retort he states he's looking at the MRO and PRO. Now we've established single dots are in play, I advised a T2. You caught up?
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:29:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

And how right above your retort he states he's looking at the MRO and PRO. Now we've established single dots are in play, I advised a T2. You caught up?
View Quote
Aimpoint Micro's are too expensive. The Holosun has the circle dot. Are you caught up yet? I know that somebody doesn't want a t2 throws your panties in a loop, but aimpoints aren't end all be all.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 2:58:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:06:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
It's like romper room in here today...
View Quote
I had to look that up. But that is funny (and accurate. I'll stop feeding the fire)
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 5:24:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 3:47:53 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
Parallax fix and flip caps the only difference?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:14:59 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Dot clarity, blue hue mostly gone, and the marketing team would point out the housing change to protect the top elevation cap. That last one does little for me but it's there.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:07:41 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

No issues with my current holosun which is why I'm still considering one.   I have the acss reticle in the 1-6  don't think I'd ever really need it.

I may hold  out for the vortex
View Quote

Are you aware that the vortex uh1 weighs 12oz?  That's not much less weight than the 15.5oz of your current PA 1-6.  Not to mention the dissatisfaction many in the uh1 thread are reporting.  Just saying.  I don't own either.

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:21:05 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Are you aware that the vortex uh1 weighs 12oz?  That's not much less weight than the 15.5oz of your current PA 1-6.  Not to mention the dissatisfaction many in the uh1 thread are reporting.  Just saying.  I don't own either.

View Quote
 That weight includes the mount. The 1-6 is over 20 with a mount. If you go with a qd you almost double the uh1. 

People bitch about every optic released except apparently aimpoint. Even when they add flip caps and fix what some may call an issue. They can raise the price and still make people smile. It's rather interesting honestly.

I bet that new aimpoint that takes a different battery for some South American narco unit that can't apparently stock battery's will be more expensive. 

Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:21:23 PM EDT
[#28]
Eotech and some LW buis.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:24:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote
You have to add the mount.  He has already figured out how much his set up weighs.  12 ounces would be less.  Albeit there are lighter set ups.  I think the EXPS series eotechs are close to 8 ounces, eh?
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You have to add the mount.  He has already figured out how much his set up weighs.  12 ounces would be less.  Albeit there are lighter set ups.  I think the EXPS series eotechs are close to 8 ounces, eh?
View Quote
No those are still 11 ozs. 
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:03:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Simple reticle.

Lighter.

Proven.
View Quote
T2, not T1. T2 is better in so many ways. Less parallax shift, crisper dot, less lens tint, better battery life, better turret set up.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:12:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yeah, but that's like not recommending a Vortex Razor Gen II because you don't like the color anodizing on the tube... it is not of sufficient consequence to change a recommendation. Liking a dot or not is largely meaningless.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:19:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Aimpoint Micro's are too expensive. The Holosun has the circle dot. Are you caught up yet? I know that somebody doesn't want a t2 throws your panties in a loop, but aimpoints aren't end all be all.
View Quote
Lol at a Holosun as somehow being the contemporary of a T2. They may be expensive, but "too expensive" depends on your income and required level of durability and reliability. If you make 50k or more a year and are betting your life on the optic it is not "too expensive" IMO.
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:36:15 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lol at a Holosun as somehow being the contemporary of a T2. They may be expensive, but "too expensive" depends on your income and required level of durability and reliability. If you make 50k or more a year and are betting your life on the optic it is not "too expensive" IMO.
View Quote
The OP wishes to stay sub $500 and prefers the circle dot. I would be certain for 99% of the people on here the level of durability in an aimpoint isn't required.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 1:53:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
The OP wishes to stay sub $500 and prefers the circle dot. I would be certain for 99% of the people on here the level of durability in an aimpoint isn't required.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i think what DevL is getting at is......alot of us (more than you realize) see these rifles as a tool for a life and death situation. that being the case, one would expect their life is worth more that a cheap chinese made electro-optic that could fail at anytime.  

if someones rifle is a range toy and not to be used in defense of ones life, than any'ol RDS should work of course YMMV.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:10:00 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

i think what DevL is getting at is......alot of us (more thatn 99%) see these rifles as a tool for a life and death situation. that being the case, one would expect their life is worth more that a cheap chinese made electro-optic that could fail at anytime.  

if someones rifle is a range toy and not to be used in defense of ones life, than any'ol RDS should work of course YMMV.
View Quote
While I generally agree with this, assuming that anything that isn't aimpoint is crap is generally foolish. There was a time when eotech rulled the world. To say that something that gets 50,000 hours of battery life and an occasional range use has a high likelihood of failing is also foolish. Aimpoints may be better constructed, but look at the application. I would assume the vast majority of persons on this forum would not need an aimpoint for self defense and the occasional range day. Remember, we aren't talking service rifles being used OCONUS under extreme conditions.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:32:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 2:34:03 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
take a look at the vortex spitfire. i have had one on a duty rifle for a year now. it's tough as nails. circle dot etched reticle so batteries aren't even required
View Quote
another solid choice
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well currently I use a Primary arms 1-6 as my HD rifle and its Chinese made. Also have a holoson on my scorpion which is also in a defensive truck gun roll.  I make more than 50k but dropping 700 bucks on an optic just isnt in the cards.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 9:50:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Yeah, I'm not sure why one thinks if you make 50K you're going to have all this discretionary income for gun stuff.  Maybe if you live alone you might.  But if you have a family with kids and a house and a couple of cars, pfffffffft.  That barely pays the bills.  If that.  I suppose it might depend on where you live.  But really.  Or I guess if your kids or you never get sick and you can eat raman many meals without getting rickets.  And your son and daughter don't need braces or eyeglasses.  Etc etc on and on and on.
Link Posted: 9/11/2017 10:02:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 1:44:03 AM EDT
[#42]
(back on track)...
I think you'll find there aren't that many circle dot reticle RDS's out there. There is the (now hated) Eotech, The Holosun's (which bring out the haters who despise a decent RDS at budget cost), PA ADSS reticle versions (which are also made by.... you guessed it... Holosun. Surprise! Heck, even the Sig is made by Holosun). Now there's Trijicon ACSS versions (which no one would knock, but few would spend the $ for them).
There may be others, but I'm not aware of them.
So you basically have two choices for circle dot (Eotech and HS variants), and a few more for ACSS (which is probably as close to a circle dot as you'll get).

Good luck with your search and keep us posted on what you chose and why! People's choices and why they chose them are always helpful for others who may be in the same search.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 3:33:01 PM EDT
[#43]
With the recent proof that the T1 has some concerning parallax issues, I would skip and either go straight to the T2 or...
Find a new model MRO and see if the magnification is corrected and less blue tint. There are rumors going around of improvement on I think 91,000 serial numbers and above?

Or get a new EOTech and rock it till it fails. I've yet to see any issues with the new logo EOTechs. If someone has had issues, please step forward.
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 7:12:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
With the recent proof that the T1 has some concerning parallax issues, I would skip and either go straight to the T2 or...
Find a new model MRO and see if the magnification is corrected and less blue tint. There are rumors going around of improvement on I think 91,000 serial numbers and above?

Or get a new EOTech and rock it till it fails. I've yet to see any issues with the new logo EOTechs. If someone has had issues, please step forward.
View Quote
The parallax was worse in the MRO than T1. Does the update fix that as well?
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 9:39:48 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote
I second your post.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:41:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Im waiting on Mrgunsngears review on the UH1 before I decide on that one.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 8:58:14 AM EDT
[#47]
I've been very pleased with my MRO.

Quite a bit less than the Aimpoint micros and so far, no complaints.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 9:59:16 AM EDT
[#48]
For 300m and under T1 or T2 is what you seek.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 5:32:47 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Goodbye tech..hello GD.
View Quote
Sorry about the rant.  I can't remember if I said this, but Stukas87 was one BTDT guy that said he wouldn't hesitate to buy a PA advanced Micro.  I guess he can correct me if I'm wrong.  But I remember filing that in the ole brain bucket.  

Only thing about that is one of the PA red dots didn't do so well with the the parallax test.  But I wasn't sure which one it was exactly cause they called it MD-05.   But having said that, it did a little better than a T-1 it seemed.  So...... there's that.  

Then there is always the Leupold mini rds thingy.  I think those are a good choice.  But then you're getting back into Aimpoint price territory.  

I'm interested in the Burris FF3.  And IMHO, I'm not sure I'm all that concerned how great it is (meaning I'm not sure I feel like I NEED aimpoint, even if it was on my HD rifle).  Any RDS can go kaput when you don't want it to because batteries.  Sure, an aimpoint is less likely.  But it still happens.  Any RDS should probably be run with irons either all up or at least flippable quickly.  And as some said, I'm not going to run it that hard.  Most of us civvies don't.  If you feel like you're going to beat the snot out of it, then you may need to spend more to get more durability.  But there again, the PA seems to do well in the beat it up and still work category.  I'm not sure if the holosun is as good, but you would think it should be if it's made in the same place.  

Now the etched reticle deal, that's a good idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2017 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#50]
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top