User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:11:42 PM EDT
[#1]
On a side note...

I want to order a EXPS 3 but I notice some sites have the old logo pictured on the display model.  If I order from say DSG Arms do you think they will send me a current build with the new logo?  They have the old logo pictured.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd call them and ask them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:28:19 PM EDT
[#3]
Despite al the internet shit slinging

My old 512 is still performing flawlessly
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 2:45:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Im still on the fence about buying one.  Cant decide if I should get an eotech or get another holosun
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 3:12:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
On a side note...

I want to order a EXPS 3 but I notice some sites have the old logo pictured on the display model.  If I order from say DSG Arms do you think they will send me a current build with the new logo?  They have the old logo pictured.
View Quote
The two I recently ordered from Optics Planet were June 2017 models. I'd assume most places have new stock by now, but just call and ask. @Phildo
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 4:33:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If SOCOM felt they were "duped" into buying Eotechs then they could have walked away from them and never purchased another optic.  The fact that they just recently purchased 13,000 more tells me they still like them just fine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Never stopped everyone and their mama from using them.

I honestly wonder why the Aimpoint never caught on in SOCOM.
The EOTech recticle is better and site body is less obstructive. Also, they were duped like the rest of us who bought Eotechs.
If SOCOM felt they were "duped" into buying Eotechs then they could have walked away from them and never purchased another optic.  The fact that they just recently purchased 13,000 more tells me they still like them just fine.
That standard means little to the average shooter. CAG and SOCOM has a logistics tail and can buy three for every shooter. They can change out batteries daily and if one fails, chucked it and get another one. Most civilian shooters plunk down $400 and this is the optic they are stuck with. If the battery is dead after sitting for a month... oh well.

Posters have been coming on here for years with there one off.. "Mine's been working fine or years" but a the end of the day.... the act remains, they had a shit load of issues... they lied about it... got caught and were penalized.

If that means noting to the average shooter who cares little about any of that as they are just a weekend hobbyist... so be it.. still does not change the facts.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:07:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That standard means little to the average shooter. CAG and SOCOM has a logistics tail and can buy three for every shooter. They can change out batteries daily and if one fails, chucked it and get another one. Most civilian shooters plunk down $400 and this is the optic they are stuck with. If the battery is dead after sitting for a month... oh well.

Posters have been coming on here for years with there one off.. "Mine's been working fine or years" but a the end of the day.... the act remains, they had a shit load of issues... they lied about it... got caught and were penalized.

If that means noting to the average shooter who cares little about any of that as they are just a weekend hobbyist... so be it.. still does not change the facts.
View Quote
Not to mention a shit load of people come here and elsewhere saying theirs broke. Rarely that’s heard with Aimpoint.

I’m surprised those units bought more. Is this a fact?  I’ve seen units dumping EOtech and going to Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 6:46:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Im still on the fence about buying one.  Cant decide if I should get an eotech or get another holosun
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 7:06:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Not to mention a shit load of people come here and elsewhere saying theirs broke. Rarely that’s heard with Aimpoint.

I’m surprised those units bought more. Is this a fact?  I’ve seen units dumping EOtech and going to Aimpoint.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree with Harv, my only point is they could have easily walked away from Eotech and went with AP, or something else.  They instead waited for Eotech to show them they had actually corrected the problems.  Once that request was satisfied they ordered more.  They are now using more robust internals, better epoxy, seal the units better and have significantly tightened their QC.  As I said before, I don't blame anyone who will never buy another Eotech.  I thought for sure I wouldn't.  I am simply answering the OP's question.  According to Eotech, they have fixed all the issues.  While I take that with a grain of salt, the .gov accepted these fixes and are continuing to use them.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 8:16:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I agree with Harv, my only point is they could have easily walked away from Eotech and went with AP, or something else.  They instead waited for Eotech to show them they had actually corrected the problems.  Once that request was satisfied they ordered more.  They are now using more robust internals, better epoxy, seal the units better and have significantly tightened their QC.  As I said before, I don't blame anyone who will never buy another Eotech.  I thought for sure I wouldn't.  I am simply answering the OP's question.  According to Eotech, they have fixed all the issues.  While I take that with a grain of salt, the .gov accepted these fixes and are continuing to use them.
View Quote
But but thermal drift /sarcasm. Every optic has thermal drift. I got rid of my eotech cause it ate the battery while being off. Forget that.
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 9:42:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 10:48:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

And MANY do.

And many eat batteries and experience de-lam of the glass. Or need a battery compartment fix.

I have never owned one, personally.  I have come close a few times, just can't justify the "chance" of issues. 4 AP sights now, zero issues.

Not saying they are "better" than Eotech, just better for me.
View Quote
TPNI. This is what it's about for me. I'm not made of money and can't invest every penny I own into optics like these so I can't afford to spend $500 on an optic and have it shit the bed at some point. I would still like to give Eotech a chance but at this point in my life it isn't worth the coin to risk it. 
Link Posted: 9/24/2017 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#13]
They need to incorporate an Aimpoint style switch into the sight body. I'm thinking on the lower right side.( looking from the rear) This will eliminate one major problem; battery drain.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 12:04:27 PM EDT
[#14]
As far as the battery eating issue, Eotech is saying that they are using improved circuitry that gives a little better batter life, I believe they are saying 600 hours on a single CR 123, and 1000 hours on their AA models.  Again this is a claim from Eotech so take it for what it's worth.

Edited to add, this is still a far cry from the battery life of LED red dots like Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:08:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
On a side note...

View Quote
I just ordered an OPMOD from OpticsPlanet.   Inspection date on the box says 08/09/2017.  New logo on the box at least.
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 5:11:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
I just picked this EXPS last week.  My first eotech.  I'm REALLY happy with it so far.   I can now see why so many people rave about the reticle and view window.  

Gratuitous pic of my new AR pistol build.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
As far as the battery eating issue, Eotech is saying that they are using improved circuitry that gives a little better batter life, I believe they are saying 600 hours on a single CR 123, and 1000 hours on their AA models.  Again this is a claim from Eotech so take it for what it's worth.

Edited to add, this is still a far cry from the battery life of LED red dots like Aimpoint.
View Quote
They were saying 1,000 hours with lithiums and 600 hours with alkaline before.

If you can actually get close to that in actual useage that would be ok...
but no matter what, as long as they keep using the electronic switch, it's going to drain  batteries in storage; unless you remove the batteries or use tape.

If they did in fact improve battery life, all that means is that it will take a little longer before you find your EOTech dead.

A mechanical switch is the only upgrade that will cut power 100% and prevent this..
Link Posted: 9/25/2017 10:16:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

They were saying 1,000 hours with lithiums and 600 hours with alkaline before.

If you can actually get close to that in actual useage that would be ok...
but no matter what, as long as they keep using the electronic switch, it's going to drain  batteries in storage; unless you remove the batteries or use tape.

If they did in fact improve battery life, all that means is that it will take a little longer before you find your EOTech dead.

A mechanical switch is the only upgrade that will cut power 100% and prevent this..
View Quote
What's this method?
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 11:19:34 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What's this method?
View Quote
You take a piece of electrical or even Scotch tape and place it across the battery terminals to prevent contact..

So this way you can store the batteries and cover on the EOTech ,as opposed to removing it.

When you want to use the rifle, you rip the piece of tape off, attach the compartment and turn it on.

If you don't do this, you are going to eventually,  go to turn it on and find it dead. Been there, done that with 4 different Eotechs.

This will NOT prevent an alkaline battery from corroding and exploding.

I had that happen in my 557 and after that I only use lithiums.

With Aimpoints you don't have to do this shit. You can leave them stored for years and they turn on and with several models you can even store them on for years... but I personally don't recommend this because why contribute to the eventual burnout of diode for nothing?
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Had a few in the past,never had a problem with them,but i didnt keep them very long

All Aimpoint now for me mainly because the Eotech is bulky,heavy,and now i just wouldnt trust one period with all these issues people are having
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:17:36 PM EDT
[#22]
I bought a new EXPS-3 with the vouchers they sent.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 1:55:21 PM EDT
[#23]
See.

The battery drain issue is NOT corrected and I knew it couldn't possibly be because of the electronic switch!
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 2:26:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
See.

The battery drain issue is NOT corrected and I knew it couldn't possibly be because of the electronic switch!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
See.

It means that they don't consider it an "issue".  That's just how it works.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 4:05:01 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote
It is an issue for anyone who doesn't change their batteries often; which is the vast majority of  EOTech owners outside the military.

You shouldn't have to change your batteries daily, weekly or even monthly for a sight you don't use that often and  paid several hundred dollars for.....
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 9:50:46 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
It is an issue for anyone who doesn't change their batteries often; which is the vast majority of  EOTech owners outside the military.

You shouldn't have to change your batteries daily, weekly or even monthly for a sight you don't use that often and  paid several hundred dollars for.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My 558 is still running on the pair of AA Energizer Lithiums I installed in July 2016. It's now September 2017. It's been used and shot plenty in that interval, and has even been used with the EOTech LBC2 laser battery cap, so those same batteries have powered occasional laser usage. It's a March 2016 model.

Either I got a unicorn, or battery drain is way overblown on new model sights.
Link Posted: 9/28/2017 10:32:15 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote
 I just bought an EXPS 3 the rebate plus a sale at sport optics made it impossible to resist for me. I've always been curious about the Eotechs and was getting ready to purchase a 552 before the recall incident. Anyways my point is my plan is to change out the battery very 2 months at minimum and possibly every month. As my screen name gives away I'm also in an appropriate location to determine how bad the thermal issue actually is and I will test it over a 6-8 month period. I  intend to run a fixed LMT style BUIS so even if it does fail I have something for HD. 
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 2:38:08 AM EDT
[#28]
New XPS2 ahould be here tomorrow. My Aimpoints will reunite with an old friend.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#29]
@Frost7

Perhaps because you use lithiums?

With my models, I am lucky to get 6 months with AA alkalines, if I didn't use tape.

The N models I sold years ago, were a disaster. They would be dead within 6 weeks to 2 months;  with little use.

How many hours of actual use would you say you have during this time period?
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:52:24 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I believe that Eotech is erring on the side of caution and overstating any issues that could arise.  I changed batteries in my old 556 annually and it was never a problem.  My Exps was on a as needed bases, but I know it was longer than six months.  Having battery commonality with all my equipment is important to me, so I have plenty of CR123's on hand.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
@Frost7

With my models, I am lucky to get 6 months with AA alkalines, if I didn't use tape.

The N models I sold years ago, were a disaster. They would be dead within 6 weeks to 2 months;  with little use.

View Quote
The N models were awful and notorious for shit battery life.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 12:47:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
@Frost7

View Quote
Just FYI alkalines are shit batteries to use because of the chance of leakage and ruining the optic.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#33]
I just picked up a brand new XPS3-0 (Inspection Date: June 2017) on ebay for $430 shipped. As always, going to have a set of BUIS (Magpul Pro) just in case.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:14:01 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just FYI alkalines are shit batteries to use because of the chance of leakage and ruining the optic.
View Quote
I'm aware of that and had one bust on me and made a mess but fortunately It didn't damage anything.

After that I only use lithiums.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 5:15:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Double post.
Link Posted: 9/29/2017 10:05:13 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@Frost7

View All Quotes
Quoted:
@Frost7

I'm really not sure, but ballpark estimate would be about 200-300 hours on the sight, maybe about 8-10 hours of red laser usage, and 2-3 hours of IR laser usage, with 14 months and counting of being off with batteries installed and no tape when not in use. Haven't reached the point where the sight is doing the "feed me new batteries" blink yet.

It's also taken about 1K rounds of .308 beating in that time as well from my Colt 901, seen 60+ degree temperature swings, gone on hikes, been in rain, dirt, been dropped a couple times, and took about a 10 mile 60 mph ride over broken terrain in the back of a Ford Raptor (not mine, sadly). No issues arising from that either, including holding zero.

Frankly, the sight is GTG in my book.

Quoted:
Yep. One of my irreplaceable Gentex 1030A Wolf Ears headsets was ruined by a fucking leaking N alkaline last year.

I keep the battery OUTSIDE the remaining headset now, with my Sordins being my grab-in-case-of-emergency headset.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 9:02:53 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a XPS2-1 that I bought in 2012 for a steal at $420. I hadn't noticed any real issue with it other than the battery drain though I don't visit the range as often as I like, once or twice a year tops.

I like the Eotech design but is it worth sending the sight back for a refund and replacing it with a new Eotech sight?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 12:24:11 PM EDT
[#38]
My 518 still has same battery from last year and going strong. Must have a good unit. When I was looking for a new red dot for my 300 BO pistol I just built, almost purchased another eotech. Instead went with a Sig Romeo5 XDR ($249.00). Has the same reticle as the Eotech and has an auto shut off when not used. Plus uses a single AAA battery. Works awesome. Still like my Eotech though.
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 9:56:45 PM EDT
[#39]
I have 3 EOtechs on 3 rifles plus one spare (that I just took off  a rifle I sold).

Never had any problems with any one of them even though I shot them in 19F laid the gun in the snow for hours with unit turned on, or at 100F ..
never saw any issues w/ zeroes..

then again I usually shoot only up to 100 yards ( on 4 inch plate) still a zero drift would have made that target difficult since only being 3 MOA off would have given em consistent misses.

My most used EOtech saw approx 20,000 rounds on the rifle it was on in rain, shine and snow.
So no complaints here.

All were the 512 models.
I run Ultra Lithiums and the 1000 hr battery seems very realistic to me.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 9:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
I hope they do get their shit together or someone comes out with a similar product with none of the issues.  Elcan HCO, what happened to you?

The reticle and "window" viewing aperture really make me want to try one again but don't want to get bit.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 12:23:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Last month I bought a new production EXPS3 to try to do my own testing on it to see if there's any serious drifting issue.  It's not a very scientific test but if enough people are interested I may start a thread on it here. 
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#42]
You can bet there is interest. If possible can you do some side by side with some other models like the T-1/2, MRO, PRO, etc?
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
that's the best attempt at sarcasm yet!
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 3:52:58 PM EDT
[#44]
I have an 11.5" SBR in NFA prison that I likely won't see for at least 6 months.

I would really like something like an Eotech for it so I guess I can monitor this thread over the months for some user reviews on the latest generation.

What is the difference between the XPS3 and EXPS3?  Both look like they are NV compatible, it looks to me like it is:

XPS3---front buttons (preferred by me) absolute co-witness (preferred by me) and screws directly to the rail.

EXPS3---side buttons, lower 1/3 co-witness, QD
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 7:03:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
You can bet there is interest. If possible can you do some side by side with some other models like the T-1/2, MRO, PRO, etc?
View Quote
I'm very hesitant to even make my own thread simply because I'm a very average shooter (that's been put of practice for 4 or 5 months) and I won't be shooting match ammo. The idea is to zero it and note the temp and shoot it other temps.

I have a 50 yard zero at 11 degrees Fahrenheit. My plan is to wait for it to get colder (-20) and shoot again. Then if it holds try to shoot in 50 degree weather on up to 80+ temps in the summer. So this is obviously something that will take awhile and as I said before very unscientific.

The only other RDS I have is a Comp M4 and I would like to shoot the Eotech on the same gun without detaching it and creating potential for testing error in RTZ. My test rifle is a PSA premium upper with a 1/7 CL barrel with a DD Omega rail (FF) and my only other rifle is a Faxon barreled BCM KMR gun so the accuracy differences between the 2 rifles already have a chance to be significant. If there's still enough interest in my testing results I will start my own thread. But I will advice everyone right now, that my job really picks up around November and usually doesn't slow until March so there's even potential I won't have time to get to the range. 
Link Posted: 10/26/2017 10:47:36 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
This YouTube video makes it sound like they fixed all their problems. We all know they rebranded themselves with a new logo and all right at shotshow this year. I made a thread on it from my shotshow visit.
I had 4 eotechs all have nitrogen leaking issues and took advantage of the return program they had. However I kept one and had them recharge the nitrogen and sent it back to me. That was an 2014 exps3. Anyone have thoughts on them fixing the issues? They say it's in par with aim point t2 now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x8qympAk-HA

My Pic from shotshow this year.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/296004/IMG_2234-287706.JPG
View Quote

How do you check for nitrogen leaks?

I saw some reports that at SHOT they only gave vague answers as to whether or not they addressed all of their issues.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 2:54:41 AM EDT
[#47]
HOws battery life these days? I've got 2 and I'm actually shopping for another sight and leaning toward another eotech.

Just wish they still made the one with the green laser on the side.
Link Posted: 10/29/2017 4:20:09 AM EDT
[#48]
I bought an N model years ago from Larue.  Absolutely loved it for weeks.
Drained the battery turned even when turned off.

I was happier when I sold that thing on Ebay than when it first arrived.  I put a Leupold 1.25-4 VX-Patrol or whatever on it and couldn't be happier.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top