Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 20
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I didn't see the edit. It should have been fixed. I will contact the customer and personally make sure it gets resolved.
View Quote
Too late.  I returned the unit for a refund.  I'm over it, and sorry if my post reflected poorly on Vortex.  Maybe I'll revisit the UH-1 at a later date when these issues seem to be resolved.  My experience was similar to other posters here in finding a "sweet spot" where the optic remained useful under varied lighting.  I don't often have to adjust my other optics back and forth for them to be easily usable.  Perhaps I was being too picky, but has someone who has owned/still owns multiple optics to include aimpoint, eotech, and trijicon, I don't feel my expectations were too high.  I still like the reticle and the optic itself seems very robust, but the settings seem too sensitive.  Vortex has gone out of their way to resolve this, I just don't care to deal with it.  So don't let this sour your opinion on their products or customer service.
Link Posted: 8/25/2017 4:58:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 1:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Yes, we know the cause and are implementing improvements. 

We are currently inspecting every sight we ship to make sure all of them are in spec, but there may be some out there that we are unaware of.

At this point if anyone gets a sight that they think isn't in spec please contact us directly and we will take care of it.
View Quote
Thank you for your candor.

Based on this info I have ordered one from Kenzie's who has a pre Labor Day coupon available.
Link Posted: 8/26/2017 8:01:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Got mine yesterday.
Reticle looks fine on the appropriate brightness.
I can't use it without glasses as its just a bunch of dots but that's on me.
Haven't mounted it yet.
Will go on a 10.5 SBR that should be approved soon.
Link Posted: 8/28/2017 2:55:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I don't think I have ever heard of anyone having had a "bad" experience with Vortex before...what happened?
View Quote
No follow through on what they said they were going to do.  And then I had someone reach out to me from Vortex on 8/21 via PM regarding this and no response after I answered their PM.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 3:55:17 PM EDT
[#6]
$425 shipped at SWFA
In stock as of right now.
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 4:28:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
$425 shipped at SWFA
View Quote
Must
Not
Spend
$
Link Posted: 8/29/2017 9:59:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
$425 shipped at SWFA
View Quote
Where you see that? When I look it says backorder and $499
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 1:31:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Do you guys think this issue with multiple reticles is slowing down the shipping process? Don't want to wait for more than six months just to receive an item with an issue just to send it back for a replacement.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$425 shipped at SWFA
All red dots and holographic sights are 15% off when added to cart.
No code needed.
SHIP49 is for free shipping.
Link Posted: 8/30/2017 5:51:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
No code needed.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
$425 shipped at SWFA
No code needed.
Backorder

Gave me 15% off but there wasn't anywhere to enter code SHIP49.
Link Posted: 8/31/2017 8:25:44 PM EDT
[#12]
I found one in stock on Cabela's website this past weekend. Received it yesterday and cancelled my Optics Planet preorder from back in February.  No multi reticle unless set on top 3 brightness settings while indoors.  Hopefully I will get to try it out this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/1/2017 12:01:51 PM EDT
[#13]
Picked up one the other day that they had in stock at a local Cabelas.

Here's a cellphone shot. I was expecting the ring to be a little more crisp, but I don't have anything to compare it to. Should work just fine though. A very unscientific test, but I looked to see how much parallax deviation there would be. Seem to be at or near zero vertical deviation at 100 yards, and maybe 3" horizontal deviation (at most).

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 10:29:03 AM EDT
[#14]
I received mine from Kenzie's yesterday. I had put an order note in to check and make sure I wasn't shipped one with reticle blooming.

This one was built in march and looks different than the one I saw in Cabela's a couple of weeks ago.

The Cabela's one would bloom when I cranked the brightness up a few clicks and exhibited the multiple reticle seen in some of the photos in this thread where you see reticle offset from the main reticle.

The one I got from Kenzie's does not have this effect. If the brightness is nearly maxed out indoors you can see a faint reticle ghost above and below the real reticle. I don't think you could even see them outdoors in super bright conditions where you would use that level of brightness.

Kenzie's did good by me. Got 10% off and free shipping too!

I put this on my X95 and can share some photos if desired. The optic is quite tall and a bit heavy compared to my MROs but really nice option for a small CQB rifle like my X95.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 2:59:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine was labeled June/17 but has the ghost/bloom.  Sending it in to Vortex.   I have no doubt they'll take care of it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:14:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:16:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I received mine from Kenzie's yesterday. I had put an order note in to check and make sure I wasn't shipped one with reticle blooming.

This one was built in march and looks different than the one I saw in Cabela's a couple of weeks ago.

The Cabela's one would bloom when I cranked the brightness up a few clicks and exhibited the multiple reticle seen in some of the photos in this thread where you see reticle offset from the main reticle.

The one I got from Kenzie's does not have this effect. If the brightness is nearly maxed out indoors you can see a faint reticle ghost above and below the real reticle. I don't think you could even see them outdoors in super bright conditions where you would use that level of brightness.

Kenzie's did good by me. Got 10% off and free shipping too!

I put this on my X95 and can share some photos if desired. The optic is quite tall and a bit heavy compared to my MROs but really nice option for a small CQB rifle like my X95.
View Quote
Could you post a pic please? Also looking to add one on an X95 or Tavor myself. 
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 4:23:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just posted link above, not sure why it isn't embedded as a picture.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:12:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Awesome thanks for the pic!
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:20:57 PM EDT
[#20]
I can see it fine; upgrade your membership.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:22:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Looks good on a bullpup.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 5:43:43 PM EDT
[#22]
That actually looks really good on that rifle - both kinda have that flat, slab-side look
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

That actually looks really good on that rifle - both kinda have that flat, slab-side look
View Quote
When I saw what the optic looked like it seemed that it was custom built for the angular X95.
Link Posted: 9/2/2017 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's one more, didn't come out as good as the other one, but shows it in profile better;

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 9:38:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I can see it fine; upgrade your membership.
View Quote
I see photos other members embed just not mine.

Not sure if a membership upgrade fixes that, someone else reporting the same thing in the help section was told it displays as a link as spam protection until a certain number of members up vote it. Or some such crap.

Link Posted: 9/2/2017 11:57:09 PM EDT
[#26]
I'm not sure how it all works. But I do know I like your rifle/optic combo. Well done.
Link Posted: 9/4/2017 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#27]
For those of you who want to order one of these from Cabella's, after discounts you can get one of these for $390. They have a 10% off sale right now and free shipping if you purchase by midnight tonight. So that knocks it down to $450. You can get a further 10% off + a $10 sign up bonus if you sign up for Activejunky through this link I'm providing. That would make the final price $390. You must make your purchase through activejunky (I.E., you click through to the Cabella's link while on Activejunky). The $60 is in the form of a rebate check sent to you or credited to a paypal account. This is ending up being an expensive weekend for me at Cabella's.

https://www.activejunky.com/invite/246289

ETA: I just ordered it and with the activejunky discount it came out to be just about $400. It initially said backordered and expected to arrive on or before Sep 13, but now it says in stock so I'm guessing it will arrive much sooner.
Link Posted: 9/7/2017 3:37:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I just got back from my first range trip with the Vortex UH1 on my IMI X95.  I am much more impressed now than I had been previously.

With this particular firearm it is faster to get on target with this optic than with my Trijicon MRO.  Surprisingly so.

Secondly, while there is some astigmatism blur, it is not as bad as it is with Eotech optics which I also have a fair amount of time behind.

Adjustment was quick and easy and in no time I was running failure drills with it at the max range the podunk indoor range near me offers (about 15-20 yards).  At that distance I was grouping 2-3" with quick double taps from a low ready position up to firing as quickly as I comfortably could.

I am liking this enough that there's a decent chance I will pick one up for my primary HD weapon, a .300BO SBR with a 9" barrel and a Silencerco Saker.  It's really that much better for close in shooting... now I just wait until I can get a really good deal on a 2nd one around Black Friday.
Link Posted: 9/8/2017 5:24:38 PM EDT
[#29]
I ordered mine from Cabela's on the 4th and received it today. Between the free shipping, 10% off from Cabela's, and an additional 10% off with the activejunky rebate it ended up being about $400.
It's a March 2017 manufacture. I definitely see the ghosting in the top 4 settings if I'm pointing it at a black surface indoors. If I then look at a bright surface outside, the ghosting disappears, and even at that I still have to turn the settings down as the reticle, even on a sunny day, is too bright on the higher settings. So honestly, the ghosting is not an issue for me whatsoever, it doesn't bother me at all as I don't see where I'll have it set at a level where I'd see it. I don't believe the reticle is night vision compatible as even on the lowest setting, in the dark it is still visible. When looking through the UH-1 with a PVS-14 the reticle is pretty strong but is still usable with a PVS-14 as long as there is some starlight or moonlight. I would only use this with a helmet/head mount setup and definitely not with the PVS-14 hard mounted to the weapon behind the sight. This replaced an EOtech that went bad (it was delaminating) and unusable in brighter light conditions (but it did have NV settings which still work and unfortunately the UH-1 doesn't have this). I'm happy with this sight so far, I'll be taking it out tomorrow, and as long as it does what it's supposed to do, It'll be a keeper.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/12/2017 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#30]
Anyone have any major zero shift issues? Optic remains secure to upper, and while I expected there to be a shift in zeros going from 5300 feet to 9200 feet, on a 25 yard zero at 50 yards i was off by a minimum of ~10moa on elevation and ~8moa on windage. Rifle sat for about a month since previous range session where it functioned fine at 25 yards and in.
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 5:09:12 PM EDT
[#31]
Just got my EO-Tech Settlement checks (WooHoo) . . . . . Was eyeing this UH-1 optic since launch. . . . . This thread has me re-thinking that at this point.

I am looking to replace (2) MPO II sights that I sent in. . . . Magnifiers and NVG compatibility are nice but NOT necessary.

If money was no object, what should I be considering?
Link Posted: 9/19/2017 8:50:11 PM EDT
[#32]
Just received a tracking number from SWFA today.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 3:59:41 PM EDT
[#33]
So where is the best place to buy one of these right now? I've been itching to try a new red dot sight and a holographic seems like it may be worth the try. Is there a serial number range to watch for when it comes to the reticle issue? Also if I did run into it what kind of turnaround time is Vortex having with the issue fix? Seems like these are a few bucks cheaper than the EXPS 2. So are these NV capable at all? 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
So where is the best place to buy one of these right now? I've been itching to try a new red dot sight and a holographic seems like it may be worth the try. Is there a serial number range to watch for when it comes to the reticle issue? Also if I did run into it what kind of turnaround time is Vortex having with the issue fix? Seems like these are a few bucks cheaper than the EXPS 2. So are these NV capable at all? 
View Quote
Anywhere you can find it in stock.

They told me 3-5 days turnaround. However, they received mine approximately 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep.  Still worth it if it comes back working how it should.  I really do like the sight.

No bonafide NV settings.   The lowest setting might work, but I didn't try it.
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:00:49 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 7:11:04 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Anywhere you can find it in stock.

They told me 3-5 days turnaround. However, they received mine approximately 2 weeks ago and I haven't heard a peep.  Still worth it if it comes back working how it should.  I really do like the sight.

No bonafide NV settings.   The lowest setting might work, but I didn't try it.
View Quote
Any regrets even with the reticle issue? 
Link Posted: 9/23/2017 10:59:13 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Can you send me your contact info? It shouldn't have taken that long. I will look into it on Monday for you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Can you send me your contact info? It shouldn't have taken that long. I will look into it on Monday for you.
Will do.

Quoted:

Any regrets even with the reticle issue? 
Not at all.   After I get a proper one back, I plan to run the heck out it. If I'm satisfied with the results I'll eventually put it on my patrol rifle.

I like the design of the reticle more than other HWS I've had in the past.   The view thru the window with both eyes open is excellent.  Works great with a magnifier. Despite getting a bum sight with ghost/bloom, I think Vortex is definitely onto something.  

There is room for improvement like side buttons, NV, and the ability to use different mounts.  If Vortex puts out a next gen at some point with that, I'd buy several of them, no doubt.
Link Posted: 9/26/2017 10:26:02 PM EDT
[#38]
Vortex expediently sent me a different unit (Thanks Sam).  No ghost reticle this time.  Exceptionally pleased with it.   It's much easier to set it in a sweet spot for transitioning from extremely varied lighting. The reticle looks absolutely superb through my G33 magnifier.

This is the HWS I was expecting.  

Rain or shine I'm going to shoot the frak out of it tomorrow.

B&H Photo has them in stock BTW.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#39]
My UH-1 arrived a few days ago and I've not had a chance to zero it.

As some others have said I thought the reticle would be more crisp.

I don't see any ghost imaging and as expected in low light the reticle will "bloom" if the brightness is too high.

I reall like the field of view.

For now I've mounted it on my MPX and plan on using it this weekend for the local USPSA match. It will be an interesting change from the Vortex Razor red dot I'm currently using.

Looking forward to shooting it this weekend.
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 11:00:17 AM EDT
[#40]
Well, dang. I really want to try one out now. Hadn't been paying attention to them since SHOT.

If anyone wants to trade theirs for a Lightly used CompM4(ETA: Thats not a joke,  I listed it in the EE)
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 7:59:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Is this thing setup at absolute co-witness or lower 1/3 co-witness
Link Posted: 9/27/2017 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Is this thing setup at absolute co-witness or lower 1/3 co-witness
View Quote
Lower 1/3
Link Posted: 10/1/2017 3:27:25 PM EDT
[#43]
I've been so busy since my UH-1 arrived I haven't even had a chance to properly mount it on my MPX.  Just sort of a mock up.

So Saturday literally 45 minutes before my local USPSA match I mounted it and did a quick zero.

To my dissapointment once I had it locked down the reticle was very blurry and odd looking. So I went ahead and zeroed it for 25 yards.
Once I had a moment to breathe before first shots I got a good look at the rear lens which had a great big greasy fingerprint right in the middle of it.
A quick clean and the reticle was clear and much better defined.

I'm used to a single dot and the dot in a circle was almost too busy to my eye. It will take some getting used to.
Link Posted: 10/8/2017 6:29:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Received one from Sport  Optics that has mid July date. It has miner ghosting but in no way would you confuse the recital with the ghost.
   Have not had any bright sun to test outside to in.
Link Posted: 10/9/2017 5:22:19 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd love to get one of these, working for a vortex dealer, however i was told 9-12 months to be able to purchase one :(
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:16:53 AM EDT
[#46]
It looks like MidwayUSA has the UH-1 in stock.
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 5:48:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It looks like MidwayUSA has the UH-1 in stock.
View Quote
They're now sold out. But Cabela's has them in stock for the same $499 with free shipping. If you purchase through the Activejunky link, you can get 6% ($30) cashback plus and additional $10 for signing up, so it would end up costing $460.

For those interested, the link to my activejunky invite: https://www.activejunky.com/invite/246289
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 7:59:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Im not trolling I’m genuinely curious. How does something like this get passed QC?  Wasn’t there a delay too?
Link Posted: 10/10/2017 8:12:35 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Im not trolling I’m genuinely curious. How does something like this get passed QC?  Wasn’t there a delay too?
View Quote
That's all you do is troll

Vortex admitted that some units had ghosting reticles but they are making good on it.  

My Eotech did the same but outdoors it was a non issue.
Link Posted: 10/21/2017 1:45:48 PM EDT
[#50]
The cycle of all new things:
-Company: Hey new awesome thing coming out soon. We are targeting a release in “xxxxxx”

-Consumers: Hell yeah! Does it do xyz? Please tell me every obscure spec. I’ll buy 8 of them!

-Company: We are going to miss our targeted release timeframe. Now mind you it was never a ‘promise’ or ‘blood oath’ or even a ‘pinky swear’ when we have a release window. Manufacturing complex stuff is hard.

-Consumers: Suck it company! You guys ‘lied’ to me! I had a super awesome project that I was waiting on your widget for. I’ll never buy any of your stuff again! I’m gonna use my money to just buy your competitors item!

-Company: Sorry it was late, but our new wonder widget is now shipping!

-Consumers: I got my preorder in finally and XYZ is wrong with it.

Now here is the point where good companies are separated from the mediocre and the outright bad.

Good Company: Damn! Sorry about that. We’ll get you taken care of and refine our processes to make our widget better.

Bad Company: Suck it consumer! That’s the way they’re supposed to be. Or, request an RMA by filling out this form in triplicate and having it notarized and we MAY get around to taking care of you.

Consumers (irrational): I won’t buy that widget cause a few dudes on the internet had some issues with some early units.

Consumers (rational): Hmmm new product. Some dudes had issues. How were they taken care of by the company? Now that there are more of these widgets in the wild, am I hearing more and more reports of issues or has it seemed to level off? Will this widget meet my needs as well or better than the competition?

Consumers (who were never gonna buy or do more typing than buying): Suck it Company. Your widget was late and had issues. I’m gonna save up and buy Brand X! Suck it consumers who bought one! My Brand X is better (or it will be when I get it)!

By the way: preordered my UH-1 after seeing it at SHOT. Finally arrived last week. Yeah it was late. But I’m not ‘operational’ or anything and I did not have a penny down on the preorder so I have not been fretting over it. Mounted up real nice. Have not shot it yet, but have done mock raids in my MultiCam thong in both dark and bright conditions as well as transitioning between the two. No issues. Reticle looks great. Will continue with the confidence that if there is an issue that Vortex will take care of it.
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top