User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 20
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 10:01:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yeah, they had a coupon code for 15% off.  It was "merica".  You might try it. I wouldn't be shocked if it still worked.  If not, call them. They might just give it to you.  Free shipping, too.  
View Quote
They're OOS but damn 15% off is nice haha.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 2:42:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked one of these up today from my favorite optics dealer AAoptics. It's a nice sight but no rounds through it yet but seems solid.

If anyone is in need of one he has several still in stock.  http://aaoptics.com/  he is a great guy and usually has the lowest prices around.
Link Posted: 7/11/2017 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Turns out I made a good move cancelling from OP and going with Kenzie's.  Mine shipped and is due to arrive Thursday! Can't wait to mount it up and put some rounds down range! I just can't decide upon which of two rifles to mount it. I may wind up with one on each.
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:38:11 AM EDT
[#4]
I never buy a gen 1 product until others have beta tested it. 

That isn't a strike against Vortex - just the nature of releasing a new product.  There will be issues (minor or major) no matter how much testing is done. 

Some of you guys in this thread remind me of the MRO "aimpoint killer" threads haha
Link Posted: 7/12/2017 6:57:47 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I never buy a gen 1 product until others have beta tested it. 

That isn't a strike against Vortex - just the nature of releasing a new product.  There will be issues (minor or major) no matter how much testing is done. 

Some of you guys in this thread remind me of the MRO "aimpoint killer" threads haha
View Quote
I bought a gen 1 MRO and it is still going strong and is my favorite sight.  Just sayin'.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:54:30 AM EDT
[#6]
Had another range session this week with the optic, once again it went really well. Looking forward to running a competition with it in the near future.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:08:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have your sight sitting at my desk right now. It is definitely NOT normal, which is why I was so confused when this was first brought up. What I was used to seeing is very faint secondary reticles that could only be seen with the sight turned up to it's highest intensity indoors. And even then, you had to be trying to look for them.

This one is not like that and certainly isn't acceptable, so I completely understand why you sent it back.

Now that we are aware of it:

1. We are revising the inspection routine to make sure we catch this on the front end.
2. We are studying the issue to make sure as little variance as possible and to eliminate it completely.

Of course, anyone that isn't happy we will take care of it.
View Quote
I want to report that I sent my UH-1 for warranty as my optic had very bright secondary reticles.  I shipped it out late Friday evening and had the quick turn-around time of receiving it this morning (very impressed by this).  Vortex verified the secondary reticles, acknowledged that this was unacceptable, and replaced me with a completely new UH-1. 

The difference is definitely night and day.  What used to be a mess of reticles transitioning from bright-to-low light now has become what VortexSam mentioned highlighted in red above.  Nonetheless, it is a dramatic difference and experience all together. 

There is also no debris/dust in this new UH-1 as compared to the returned one. 

I admit that I was impatient and heavily frustrated at first with this optic (the tease, the waiting, and the multiple reticles issue).  However,  I would publicly say a huge thank you to Vortex for making it right.  The quick turn-around time was unexpected and very impressive.  The UH-1 that I'm holding and viewing right now is by no means the optic I bought a few weeks ago.  This new UH-1 is the optic I read about in SHOT and other sources. 

My only personal issue now is that I bought an MRO Patrol and now have a UH-1 but only need one of them.  I always had an EOTech and lenient toward this new UH-1 for obvious reasons.  Going to try both and see where this goes.  

Worth noting:
On the bottom of the UH-1's are what appears to be manufacturing dates.  The returned optic had a date of "XXXX/2016" (forgot the month).  The new one I received has a date of "March/2017."
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#8]
anyone had a chance for a video review?
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Got mine! No double reticles and no dust.  Looks perfect.  Can't wait to get it to the range! I'll check the manufacture date when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 7/13/2017 11:56:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I want to report that I sent my UH-1 for warranty as my optic had very bright secondary reticles.  I shipped it out late Friday evening and had the quick turn-around time of receiving it this morning (very impressed by this).  Vortex verified the secondary reticles, acknowledged that this was unacceptable, and replaced me with a completely new UH-1. 

The difference is definitely night and day.  What used to be a mess of reticles transitioning from bright-to-low light now has become what VortexSam mentioned highlighted in red above.  Nonetheless, it is a dramatic difference and experience all together. 

There is also no debris/dust in this new UH-1 as compared to the returned one. 

I admit that I was impatient and heavily frustrated at first with this optic (the tease, the waiting, and the multiple reticles issue).  However,  I would publicly say a huge thank you to Vortex for making it right.  The quick turn-around time was unexpected and very impressive.  The UH-1 that I'm holding and viewing right now is by no means the optic I bought a few weeks ago.  This new UH-1 is the optic I read about in SHOT and other sources. 

My only personal issue now is that I bought an MRO Patrol and now have a UH-1 but only need one of them.  I always had an EOTech and lenient toward this new UH-1 for obvious reasons.  Going to try both and see where this goes.  

Worth noting:
On the bottom of the UH-1's are what appears to be manufacturing dates.  The returned optic had a date of "XXXX/2016" (forgot the month).  The new one I received has a date of "March/2017."
View Quote
Glad to hear that. 
Link Posted: 7/14/2017 5:51:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Hmmmm...... I am glad Vortex is taking care of those with issues by sending them new units.

However, if they have enough units to send out as warranty items, where are those for the people still waiting on getting their first one? Unless it is some part of a business plan, I cannot understand where mine is considering I ordered in November 2016 directly from them. Yes, I understand I can cancel it and buy from a retailer/distributor. Just wondering.
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 7:41:56 PM EDT
[#12]
what sets this apart from the DI OPTICAL FC1/EG1
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 9:12:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
what sets this apart from the DI OPTICAL FC1/EG1
View Quote
For a start, the Vortex is a holographic sight while the DI sight is a prism sight...
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 5:22:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Well, I just got a hold of mine. Got it Friday from OpticsPlanet and was on a trip so didn't get to it until today.

So far, it's nice. A little big, but sits at the right height imo. However, the multireticle is pretty apparent. Even today with recent rain and current cloud cover i have to turn it up to say 8 or so to get a comfortable reticle, I transition to inside and I get a 80% reticle at the 6' O'Clock position. Anything past 8/9, oh boy it looks like a flower. I can only imagine if it was bright and sunny trying to crank it up...
(Mine says it was made in January)
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 6:13:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Disclaimers: Okay, by NO means am I a photographer. Your high brightness settings bordering on 15 plays havoc with the camera, it's not "That" bright, but still a lot of reticles. However, unless you're looking into the sun, you'll probably never use 13-15.

Outside

Inside - Lights On  (Lights off inside, it starts to multi reticle at 6 rather than 8ish. Too hard to focus with lights off.)

Update: Bit sunny outside now. Takes about 12 to comfortably see it.

Is this typical VortexSam ? I've honestly never owned or even looked through a holographic sight so I don't know.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#16]
I just got mine and I really like it. I'll sight it in Thursday.

I checked for particles that were previously mentioned, didn't see anything.

I cranked it up and there is definite blooming, but at my indoor setting it is just fine.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I just got mine and I really like it. I'll sight it in Thursday.

I checked for particles that were previously mentioned, didn't see anything.

I cranked it up and there is define blooming, but at my indoor setting it is just fine.
View Quote
Yeah, i'd be fine with it simply being "too" bright and blooming. But when you got 8 different Hold Overs

When does yours say it was made? On the bottom.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 9:06:36 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yeah, i'd be fine with it simply being "too" bright and blooming. But when you got 8 different Hold Overs

When does yours say it was made? On the bottom.
View Quote
January 2017
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 7:17:11 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:35:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Yours doesn't look normal. Give us a call and we will exchange it for you.
View Quote
This is why I'm still willing to wait on my order from optics planet for this sight.  The customer service is excellent and even making themselves available on a forum to answer questions and even respond to complaints without degrading into BS excuses.  They stand up for their product and are will do what is right for the customer to make it right with them.
Link Posted: 7/18/2017 10:23:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Yours doesn't look normal. Give us a call and we will exchange it for you.
View Quote
Thanks, sending it in to have a look.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:26:46 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 10:37:51 PM EDT
[#23]
Sighted mine in today with my residual EOTech magnifier I've always had on the gun.

I went from EOTech to MRO to UH-1. Returned the EOTech, still have the MRO.

I loved it.

Getting just short of 1" groups at 50yds, which is my sight in distance. (Using Speer GDs)

That's better than my MRO, but I was one of the guys who always saw the "comet tail".

My eyes just pick it up better, and I can focus better on it, personally.

I really, really like it.

My buddy enjoyed it as well.

I'm not selling my MRO yet, but I much prefer the UH-1.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:52:36 PM EDT
[#24]
So...whens the vid?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:40:00 AM EDT
[#25]
I signed up for an expertcity account to get the .mil discount, but no longer seeing the UH1 listed on their site. Anyone else having the same issue?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 2:46:25 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I signed up for an expertcity account to get the .mil discount, but no longer seeing the UH1 listed on their site. Anyone else having the same issue?
View Quote
A guy I work with ordered two of them back in February, so I know they were on there, but I can't seem to find them currently either.

For the record, they still haven't shown up. Experticity must be pretty far down the list.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 9:26:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote
Several years ago I had military pro-pricing accounts with North Face, Mountain Hardwear, MSR, and many others; some of them were basically wholesale prices.  Most of them dropped their programs (Benchmade and Mountain Hardwear are still going) and referred you to one of those aggregate sites that charge money to "join" and in the end there really isn't any savings.  I'm on Outdoor Prolink since it's free, but haven't ever used it.

All to ask, why aren't you going through Vortex to buy it?
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:22:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Several years ago I had military pro-pricing accounts with North Face, Mountain Hardwear, MSR, and many others; some of them were basically wholesale prices.  Most of them dropped their programs (Benchmade and Mountain Hardwear are still going) and referred you to one of those aggregate sites that charge money to "join" and in the end there really isn't any savings.  I'm on Outdoor Prolink since it's free, but haven't ever used it.

All to ask, why aren't you going through Vortex to buy it?
View Quote
 I don't see the uh1 on their site either. I purchased mine from it.

Vortex is revamping their program so they use Experticity ATM. Buying from that site is going through vortex just a 3rd party for the discount for mil and LEO.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 6:56:48 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

A guy I work with ordered two of them back in February, so I know they were on there, but I can't seem to find them currently either.

For the record, they still haven't shown up. Experticity must be pretty far down the list.
View Quote
I bought mine from AA Optics.

I'd never used them before, but it was the same $499 price and it shipped within 24 hours.

Good experience on my end.

Link - Currently In Stock
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:47:20 PM EDT
[#30]
@VortexSam

I got the UH-1 a few weeks ago from SWFA.  Manuf Date on the bottom of the optic is January 2017.  I love the optic..compared to my XPS2.  However I do see the double reticles like other posters.  Unsure whether I have a model that is anomalous or the double reticles is "feature" of my UH-1 and I have to just have to deal with it.  

On startup, inside day lighting conditions, I barely notice a double reticle, but two button pushes up from startup, its now more noticeable (6:00 position from reticle, center brighter than circle).

I tired to take a bunch of photos at various lighting conditions and camera exposures to try to depict what I'm seeing.  Any and all comments/analysis will be greatly appreciated.

At about two/three button pushes up, no background...just black:

Here is a picture, optic indoors, looking out at near max or max bright, six/seven button pushes from startup:

Outdoors, sunny, unsure of the setting on the UH-1:
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 2:25:26 PM EDT
[#31]
@Vortexsam Can the Huey handle the Scar 17, and will you offer it in FDE?
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 5:47:30 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 10:30:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Thanks for posting the pictures. Could you send me an email and I would be happy to take care of this for you as soon as I get back into the office on Monday.
View Quote
I am interested in this optic but some of these early reports are troubling. Has Vortex determined how many of the production u its are affected?

Is there a serial range or manufacturing date that is free of the problem?

I would like to give six months for this to shake out but really need to make a purchase for a new rifle in the next couple of months.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 9:24:33 AM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:35:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
@VortexSam

I got the UH-1 a few weeks ago from SWFA.  Manuf Date on the bottom of the optic is January 2017.  I love the optic..compared to my XPS2.  However I do see the double reticles like other posters.  Unsure whether I have a model that is anomalous or the double reticles is "feature" of my UH-1 and I have to just have to deal with it.  

On startup, inside day lighting conditions, I barely notice a double reticle, but two button pushes up from startup, its now more noticeable (6:00 position from reticle, center brighter than circle).

I tired to take a bunch of photos at various lighting conditions and camera exposures to try to depict what I'm seeing.  Any and all comments/analysis will be greatly appreciated.

At about two/three button pushes up, I see the following indoors, day lighting conditions, darkish background:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/F2uSDs_TlZgRYFO_9MQM5whECL-tknrEY5tFMVh-dCHaAxO1a_Ri5_JZ1hFbz883nUjXTqIUJobS__BCq3WMGn72w0OLpfd1KtOq8erjhMGI17y-bI2xh15yaBt46xO63ByCQpeSFBw=w734-h1100-no

Here is a picture, optic indoors, looking out at near max or max bright, six/seven button pushes from startup:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/jOJHWhx40RM02wn5NOUu-X8fEEIoKKYNaqv-2raghI6Osd6PRNe8hX9VmVxaGNpiIOJCz3ox-SKSvw7bT9xswIzhVVWU-N9_snkr2-otpYG2CjSAh4_50bqam55g0LjcdBdpK7cmmAk=w1656-h1104-no
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/roMSBxpHV7evHzRCI8vS1dx30-JyJJupN53pXbmSO25Su1RIV03bdKQLQ9-AYOU5MqZTpqxoPC4p-_9E6_qAkG1qtXevvzJStdoaJYChhuQk1eiKA24UbqSNNsG71kVCUJQn7hHAiN0=w1651-h1100-no

Outdoors, sunny, unsure of the setting on the UH-1:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/Sfu6ztIwzYvkXERYW91OsnsnY_I3uqIF-ZiOGMlM5zQgBcfV2SPKwtEhLqrfBRMFA8qAOICKrsCUP78j6Jru00CDg0OKmVI2_nBAlsjbjfoT0EezBGJpTyeSeg7YJi7hNnPadl8ggr4=w1657-h1105-no
View Quote
Is this really what people are complaining about? I don't find that to be distracting at all. Especially considering that brightness setting is entirely too much for indoors/dark anyway.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:35:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Is this really what people are complaining about? I don't find that to be distracting at all. Especially considering that brightness setting is entirely too much for indoors/dark anyway.
View Quote
Well, it's more about (mind you this is more for LE/People Traininging and such) having it set on a satisfactory setting of say 10 for outside use and if you were to transition inside/shaded area instead of simply being "too bright" you get like 6 extra hold overs.

Obviously if you're staring into the sun at 15 brightness and transition into a shaded environment you're going to get multiple reticles if you look for them. I'd be fine with that, but mine even on setting 8 which would be reasonable on a moderately sunny day and slightly on the bright side for a darker area. was pushing out more reticles.

And, it really is one of those things that "once you notice it, you can't take your eyes off it."

I understand that no matter how well you think you went through all the quality control, it will never be equivalent to what it's subjected to outside.
Knocking it aside, I have no plans of getting rid of it. It's very well made. I trust i'll get a satisfactory one back.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 5:43:10 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Currently, it seems to be pretty random. We have only gotten a couple back. That being said, we are inspecting for it now and not putting units through that have this issue. We will replace the unit if anyone gets one that isn't acceptable.

As stated earlier, there will still be some amount of secondary reticles if you look for them, but it shouldn't be distracting, only if you have the sight turned up way to bright for conditions. We are working to eliminate it completely.

If you need a sight, no need to worry, we will take care of you and make sure you are happy with it.
View Quote
I shouldn't play Russian Roulette.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 8:54:36 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
We are working to eliminate it completely.
View Quote
This is the version ill wait for
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 3:46:39 PM EDT
[#40]
I'm a bit surprised, I shipped mine out on a weekend basically from Texas and got a replacement already.

Replacement is substantially better than my original one, as others have said it you look for it at higher than normal brightness you'll find a faint one. But now I can set it to a perfectly useable brightness outside and transition to inside and not see any noticeable multireticle.
(#1 UH-1 manufacture month:January)
(#2 UH-1 manufacture month:March)
For those who care.

Hopefully the return units can be fixed easily.
Thanks VortexSam

psst- Now y'all need to come out with a Razor HD 1-8
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 6:55:27 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Glad we were able to get you taken care of! 

We have lots of cool stuff in the works! 
View Quote
Tease
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 11:44:34 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Glad we were able to get you taken care of! 

We have lots of cool stuff in the works! 
View Quote
Shall I just give you my credit card and just get the shipments as they are ready.  Geez you guys produce excellent products with excellent customer service.  I'm going to have to build more ARs to put your stuff on them.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:26:27 PM EDT
[#44]
I just picked one of these up a few weeks back.  Mine is going back for the multiple reticle issue.  That said, I really like the optic.  Built in mount is nice, the reticle is good, and it performed well on the range.  Looking forward to getting it back.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy another, and quite frankly prefer it to my T1.  I'm not LE or military and feel like that every new product to market typically has unforeseen issues.  I remember when the MRO was released there were multiple threads on here regarding issues.  I feel like getting these things to market and getting any potential bugs worked out by people unlikely to do anything but punch paper or bang steel is honestly beneficial to those who may end up using them to go in harms way.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:30:28 AM EDT
[#45]
VortexSam --

I tried to send a PM through here about my reticle issues across 3 UH-1s that I received but I'm being I'm being denied. I appear to have the same as illustrated earlier and have similar photos. Mine are January manufacture dates too. What is the best way to contact you?

This is turned on inside and 3 up from default

This is 6 up from default, BTW looking at a TV that's turned off thus the dark background/target but the lighting conditions are the same.)

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:58:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I remember when the MRO was released there were multiple threads on here regarding issues.  I feel like getting these things to market and getting any potential bugs worked out by people unlikely to do anything but punch paper or bang steel is honestly beneficial to those who may end up using them to go in harms way.
View Quote
That's the most insightful thought on this I've read, anywhere.  Proud to see it came from a fellow Hoosier!

I've got an MRO that is awesome, and a UH-1 with no double reticle, even on brightest setting in complete darkness.  That means these issues are totally solveable and you'll wind up with an outstanding optic.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 9:53:16 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:41:45 PM EDT
[#48]
I was just at the Vortex both at Triggercon in Tacoma, WA and I looked through the UH-1 they had on display.   My unit definitely displays multi reticles more so than the Vortex booth display unit.

Using the Vortex display booth UH-1, at 3 button pushes from startup,  there was very minimal reticle "ghosting" while  looking through a covered objective.   At max bright, the reticle blooming resulted in very minimal reticle ghosting compared to my Jan 2017 unit.

So....i think now I know what a "good" UH-1 looks like.   I think I'm gonna be contacting VortexSam for recourse.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:48:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Just speculation, but since the holographic film that the reticle is on is from the U.K., could the pronounced diffraction of the laser light be attributed to faulty film?
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#50]
My UH-1 is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm very excited and not concerned at all about any issues. Looked through one at a gun show this weekend and the only multi reticle I saw was if it was adjusted well beyond anything you'd be using indoors anyway. Looked out through a window with the same setting and it was extremely minimal - far from distracting for sure.
Page / 20
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top