BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Page / 25
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 10:50:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I used a 19 eye butler creek cap. The 18 eye I had seemed to small.
Link Posted: 10/17/2017 11:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Specs on the upper?  I like it.
View Quote

The upper receiver is a CMT UPUR-2 and the handguard is an SLR ION 10.7" Ultra Lite MLOK.
Link Posted: 10/18/2017 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ISEtXKU.jpg

The upper receiver is a CMT UPUR-2 and the handguard is an SLR ION 10.7" Ultra Lite MLOK.
View Quote
Damn those Geissele mounts are sexy. Almost makes me want to switch. Almost.
Link Posted: 10/19/2017 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#4]
They are back on sale for $459.  Is there anything better than the P4Xi at this price with this type of quality glass?  I prefer this type of cross hair with red dot.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 11:14:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
They are back on sale for $459.  Is there anything better than the P4Xi at this price with this type of quality glass?  I prefer this type of cross hair with red dot.
View Quote
Not that I've seen. The glass is clear and bright, the 1x is true, the illumination is daylight visible, and I really like the crosshairs and BDC reticle. The shape of the crosshairs allows the reticle to be usable with or without illumination in a wide variety of lighting conditions. I've had mine for a few weeks and ran it in 3gun over the weekend, we didn't have any super long shots but it was great taking shots from 3 to 230 yards.

That said, I have two criticisms:
1. The turrets are mushy (as others have said). Not a biggie, but they are worse than they should be at this price point. I'd also prefer 0.1 MIL or 0.25 MOA clicks over the .5 MOA clicks.  
2. The eyebox is not as large as I would like. It's noticeably smaller than my old MTAC, for example.

Even with that, I really like the scope a lot. At this point, the only scopes I would consider a worthwhile upgrade cost 3x as much. And the Steiner lifetime transferrable warranty is a big plus.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 1:38:55 PM EDT
[#6]
So is the general consensus that this is the best LPVO out right now under $1000 if a 1-4x is adequate magnification?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:08:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So is the general consensus that this is the best LPVO out right now under $1000 if a 1-4x is adequate magnification?
View Quote
I would say a more accurate description is the best LPVO under $500 
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
It's certainly possible. For a $1000 budget, I think the Trijicon Accupower 1-4x gives it a run for its money, but you're gonna pay ~$200 more for the Trij and lose daylight brightness.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 2:33:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep coming back to the AccuPoint TR24 for this reason. I don't need night illumination really, but bright, clear and light are big bonuses and why I'm staying in the 1-4 category.

Does anyone know how the eyebox and glass quality is between the p4xi and the tr24?
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 3:50:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I keep coming back to the AccuPoint TR24 for this reason. I don't need night illumination really, but bright, clear and light are big bonuses and why I'm staying in the 1-4 category.

Does anyone know how the eyebox and glass quality is between the p4xi and the tr24?
View Quote
I've never handled the AccuPoint. I've only handled AccuPowers in stores, so I don't have a good direct comparison. That said, going just on memory, I think the glass brightness/clarity is about the same, and the AccuPower had a slightly wider eyebox, with about the same eye relief.
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:09:21 PM EDT
[#11]
Having had the TR24 I'll opine that... yes the eye box was very nice. But the reticle design was not optimal for the type of shooting I wanted to do with an AR. Plus I dropped mine, the tube bent, and Trijicon couldn't fix it. Then I got a VCOG (red). Felt more robust but not daylight bright and the reticle was too coarse. I really haven't been impressed with anything from Trijicon except for the HD pistol sights.

Quoted:

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2017 6:17:05 PM EDT
[#12]
So what is your recommendation?
Link Posted: 10/24/2017 8:43:28 PM EDT
[#13]
For me I like my P4Xi's reticle better than I did my Accupower. Very clean and daylight bright. I shoot it like my T2.
Link Posted: 10/25/2017 2:24:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
For me I like my P4Xi's reticle better than I did my Accupower. Very clean and daylight bright. I shoot it like my T2.
View Quote
I agree with this but I'm not fond of the tight eyebox on the Steiner I don't remember if it was an issue with the Accupower. 
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 12:01:05 PM EDT
[#15]
So are these living up to the hype?  How are they doing durability wise?  When the Strike Eagle came out I jumped on the bandwagon and just wasn't satisfied.  Looking to find a better optic to replace it with.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 5:14:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I agree with this but I'm not fond of the tight eyebox on the Steiner I don't remember if it was an issue with the Accupower. 
View Quote
I replaced an accupower 1-4 (green bdc) with the P4xi. Eyebox 'tightness' feels the same.
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 6:10:49 PM EDT
[#17]
I know this is apples and oranges at different price ranges but has anyone compared the eyebox to a Razor Gen 2 or PST Gen 2 to a P4Xi?
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 7:31:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I replaced an accupower 1-4 (green bdc) with the P4xi. Eyebox 'tightness' feels the same.
View Quote
Fair enough my Accupower was about 4 scopes ago. 
Link Posted: 10/27/2017 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I know this is apples and oranges at different price ranges but has anyone compared the eyebox to a Razor Gen 2 or PST Gen 2 to a P4Xi?
View Quote
I'll be able to tell you soon. Just ordered a 1-4.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 1:27:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
I've compared the P4Xi to the PST Gen 2, so it's not really apples to oranges.

Pros: P4Xi is $150 cheaper at a minimum, comes with a throw lever, has a wider field of view across the board, and is more than 1/2" shorter and 5 ounces lighter than the PST.

Similarities: The glass and illumination seemed to be about equal as far as I could tell in a store. Both had edge-to-edge clarity above their price points. The illumination controls are similar in design and function.

Cons: Obviously the Vortex is a 6x and the extra magnification is nice to have, but it also seemed to have better light transmission. There is no comparison on the turrets - Vortex's are excellent and Steiner's are mediocre at best. The PST had a much more forgiving eyebox and double the exit pupil on paper. In addition, Vortex's ocular lens design gives less of a tube effect when looking through it with both eyes open at close distances than the P4Xi. The PST Gen 2 is almost as good in that regard as the Razor Gen 2, but not quite. Overall, the Vortex looks and feels like a more premium optic.

At the end of the day, I was shopping for a scope for an SBR. Size, weight, and daylight bright illumination were my primary considerations, and the extra magnification was sort of a moot point. I would have originally gone with a TR24, but the Steiner came along and checked all the same boxes at half the price. If I was buying this for a full-size carbine and wanted the best scope I could afford without size and weight being as much of a concern, I would've chosen the PST Gen 2 over the P4Xi. YMMV.
Link Posted: 10/31/2017 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

https://i.imgur.com/ISEtXKU.jpg

View Quote
Thanks!

Got to try a P4Xi today... definitely will be buying one soon. The illumination is great on these. Definitely daylight visible. Question is do I sell my Vortex 1-4 PST to buy one, or just wait and pick one up later. The glass on the PST is super clear, but the illumination sucks.
Link Posted: 11/1/2017 12:54:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Thanks!

Got to try a P4Xi today... definitely will be buying one soon. The illumination is great on these. Definitely daylight visible. Question is do I sell my Vortex 1-4 PST to buy one, or just wait and pick one up later. The glass on the PST is super clear, but the illumination sucks.
View Quote
If you like the BDC reticle in the Steiner why keep the Vortex? unless you have another rifle to outfit. 
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 2:49:10 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Thanks!

View Quote
I keep my older capped 1-4x PST around to throw on whatever I might happen to need it for. It's a great scope and yeah the illumination sucks but it's small and light and the non-BDC reticle is universal so it can work well on just about anything in a pinch. I'm glad I didn't sell mine cheap when everyone else started ditching theirs because it's actually made itself useful on a few different occasions since then.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 2:56:27 PM EDT
[#24]
Can someone please post a pic of the illumination maxed out in full daylight pointed at something not in shadow?
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 3:44:57 PM EDT
[#25]
I just received a text saying my Steiner P4Xi was delivered today.  I'm looking forward to mounting that bad boy after work and range here we come this weekend.
Link Posted: 11/2/2017 7:20:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Can someone please post a pic of the illumination maxed out in full daylight pointed at something not in shadow?
View Quote
We haven't had enough sunlight here lately to get a picture like this but the reticle is really bright. I run mine on the dimmest daylight setting and it's plenty bright.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:47:24 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you like the BDC reticle in the Steiner why keep the Vortex? unless you have another rifle to outfit. 
View Quote
I have the PST on a CZ527. Saving up for something else not gun related right now so it’s going to have to wait if I were to keep the PST. I’ll keep one on the “buy” list for now but I’m definitely going to be putting one on my 6.5 Grendel RECCE build.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:59:39 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

We haven't had enough sunlight here lately to get a picture like this but the reticle is really bright. I run mine on the dimmest daylight setting and it's plenty bright.
View Quote
This. It's bright enough to be easily visible against a white wall and a 500 lumen surefire lighting it up. 

ETA: I'd say the top brightness setting on the Steiner is pretty comparable to my Aimpoint Comp M4 on setting 2 down from Max brightness. 
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 6:18:16 AM EDT
[#29]
Is the dot a decent size when cranked up?

For reference, the firedot is pretty bright, but tiny.
Link Posted: 11/3/2017 1:54:27 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Is the dot a decent size when cranked up?

For reference, the firedot is pretty bright, but tiny.
View Quote
The firedot is the perfect size and the different levels of brightness are amazing.  I purchased an Aero SPR extended mount and it works flawlessly and the edge to edge clarity is fantastic.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 10:53:38 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
The firedot is the perfect size and the different levels of brightness are amazing.  I purchased an Aero SPR extended mount and it works flawlessly and the edge to edge clarity is fantastic.
View Quote
I just ordered a P4XI (currently have a Strike Eagle 1-6 mounted, probably going to return it if I like the P4XI better - which I suspect I will). How's the red dot for CQC work? As much as folks hate this term, I'd like my rifle set up as a sort of SHTF, do-it-all type. The red dot size was my only concern. While the Strike Eagle has a nice horseshoe, I don't like how large it is when illuminated in conjunction with the BDC being lit.
Link Posted: 11/8/2017 6:56:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

I just ordered a P4XI (currently have a Strike Eagle 1-6 mounted, probably going to return it if I like the P4XI better - which I suspect I will). How's the red dot for CQC work? As much as folks hate this term, I'd like my rifle set up as a sort of SHTF, do-it-all type. The red dot size was my only concern. While the Strike Eagle has a nice horseshoe, I don't like how large it is when illuminated in conjunction with the BDC being lit.
View Quote
For me, the red dot is similar to using my T2.
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:03:57 AM EDT
[#33]
I had the P4XI for almost a year..it’s gresr scope for the money, but I want an upgrade. My eyes are on mark 6 1-6. But I just not sure what does extra 1k can give me in terms of performance..
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 12:13:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I had the P4XI for almost a year..it’s gresr scope for the money, but I want an upgrade. My eyes are on mark 6 1-6. But I just not sure what does extra 1k can give me in terms of performance..
View Quote
Depends on what you mean by upgrade... More magnification? Better low light performance? Different reticle? Exposed turrets? Better eyebox? Larger objective?
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 2:36:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Depends on what you mean by upgrade... More magnification? Better low light performance? Different reticle? Exposed turrets? Better eyebox? Larger objective?
View Quote
More magnification for sure. Better low light performance for sure....34mm...better glass...i also like the idea of FFP....red dot at 1x....other than that...i'm not sure sure....both scope probably has the same eyebox forgiveness, i think P4xi has better FOV than Luppy. Luppy probably is more ruggged as I heard and flatter at 1x

anyway, dont wanna steal the thread....overall P4xi is great scope, i have 2k NF scope and honestly i dont know if NF have that much better glass than P4xi
Link Posted: 11/9/2017 4:38:07 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

For me, the red dot is similar to using my T2.
View Quote
Perfect, that's what i was hoping for. Thanks for the info! Mine should be delivered tomorrow. Maybe Ill post some comparisons between it and the SE 1-6 if anyone is interested.
Link Posted: 11/11/2017 1:26:12 AM EDT
[#37]
As promised If these are not showing up, it is probably because of my low post count.

Link Posted: 11/11/2017 6:33:07 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I wouldn't have a problem using it for that.  The 1X feature is great plus both eyes open so your set and its lower NVG settings work too.
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 8:19:57 AM EDT
[#39]
Steiner P4Xi $382.49 shipped from OpticsPlanet with code DEALS
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 12:58:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
this is for the model without throw lever. Any idea guys which aftermarket throw lever will work on this scope?
Link Posted: 11/15/2017 1:36:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

this is for the model without throw lever. Any idea guys which aftermarket throw lever will work on this scope?
View Quote
OEM?
Steiner throw lever
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 10:21:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
To be blunt, fuck them.  When they had their sale last week and had the P4XI on sale as well they magically marked the scope as LE/MIL/GOV only and required a sign off letter from an agency.

I now see that restriction is removed since they jacked the price back up.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:30:43 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
To be blunt, fuck them.  When they had their sale last week and had the P4XI on sale as well they magically marked the scope as LE/MIL/GOV only and required a sign off letter from an agency.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is some bullshit.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:35:48 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
That is some bullshit.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is some bullshit.
Odd, I got in on the sale and I was not asked for any LE/MIL credentials.  I noticed the scope I ordered had LE in the part number but the only difference I saw was it included a throw lever..?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 11:55:24 AM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 5:03:10 PM EDT
[#46]
I dont want to derail this thread but quick question. Im building up another AR and want to dabble in a low power variable scope and this is one of them. Also considering the PA 1-6x ACSS and the Trijicon Accupower 1-4. Price wise, this falls right in the middle. How does it compare in terms of glass, clarity, etc.. to Trijicon?
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:16:50 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I dont want to derail this thread but quick question. Im building up another AR and want to dabble in a low power variable scope and this is one of them. Also considering the PA 1-6x ACSS and the Trijicon Accupower 1-4. Price wise, this falls right in the middle. How does it compare in terms of glass, clarity, etc.. to Trijicon?
View Quote
I have no experience with the Trijicon, but I'd venture to say that it's likely on par at least. It's German schott glass which is the same used by Steiner in their higher end optics.
Link Posted: 11/16/2017 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#48]
Yep, OpticsPlanet sucks ass. DSG had these (with throwlever) for $440 shipped this week, not sure how long that sale runs for though. I picked up another one.
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 1:52:07 AM EDT
[#49]
I've had the Accupower before and they're comparable scopes. The Accupower works with CQB with the broken up circle reticle and the Steiner does well with the daylight bright center dot. The Accupower is an oz lighter and has crisper turrets IIRC, for the price though the Steiner is hard to beat. The price difference is like $175
Link Posted: 11/17/2017 2:27:28 AM EDT
[#50]
That wasn't a shot at you SDMF_Rebel that was directed at Optics Planet.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top