Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 25
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
So I finally picked one of these up. I was using a VX-6 but was finding myself not wanting to use it on 6x often. I also wasn't a huge fine of the reticle and wanted something a bit more tactical (vs 3-Gun marketed) with some sort of ranging feature. So I got rid of the Leupold and picked up one of these guys. I ordered from Sport Optics and paid $520ish (2 day UPS shipping I paid for so I could ensure I received it during my time off from work for my wedding) for the version with a throw lever, it came in yesterday and I mounted it up. The 1x FOV is pretty solid it almost is close to the Razor when you try to get it perfect, and the reticle doesn't look over complicated. The illumination is fantastic I can easily see the red dot on the first daytime setting aiming at an off white wall and illuminating with a Surefire G2X 300 lumen light. The magnification ring on mine isn't tight at all and can easily be moved without the lever. That being said I would prefer to do it one handed so I am still going to use it. The weight with it inside the Aero mount is awesome. The G2X makes it a little front end heavy so I have switched that out to a TLR-1. It seems to balance the same as my rifle with a KAC RAS and M952 with Meprolight Tru Dot. For reference the P4Xi rifle has a DD Omega 7 rail. I can see what people are talking about with the turret clicks but I don't believe my VX-6 was any better. I also feel like the eye box is a little tight. Considering the cost of the optic I think it's an outstanding optic and will easily forget about any issues. I am going to encourage anybody I know looking for a tactical scope for an AR one of these. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:21:15 AM EDT
[#2]
How is the eye relief on it?
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:33:27 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
How is the eye relief on it?
View Quote
It's a longer eye relief around 3-3.5" I would unscientifically estimate. 
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 11:17:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Has anyone gotten their promo mount from Steiner yet?  It's like waiting for something our of the back of a comic when you were a kid.
View Quote
Thanks for the reminder, I still need to submit my rebate form.

http://www.steiner-optics.com/promotions/promotion-ended-still-time-submit-cantilever-mount-giveaway

Buy a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24mm from any authorized Steiner dealer between May 1st 2017 and June 30th, 2017, and get a FREE Steiner cantilever mount.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 8:01:45 AM EDT
[#5]
I submitted my form on the 30th to them and so far no email or anything.I assume itll be a few more weeks at the earliest before anybody hears anything about them.
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 11:14:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I submitted my form on the 30th to them and so far no email or anything.I assume itll be a few more weeks at the earliest before anybody hears anything about them.
View Quote
I'm starting to feel like Bart waiting for his spy camera or Ralph and his decoder ring...lol I need to be more patient.

I sent mine in certified just so I know it got there.

I don't know if the promo mount will raise the objective lens high enough to clear the rear sight on a PTR-91; we will see.  

Anyone running their P4Xi on a roller lock?
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:48:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

http://www.steiner-optics.com/promotions/promotion-ended-still-time-submit-cantilever-mount-giveaway

Buy a Steiner P4Xi 1-4x24mm from any authorized Steiner dealer between May 1st 2017 and June 30th, 2017, and get a FREE Steiner cantilever mount.
View Quote
Damn, that's a nice looking mount. I would've pulled the trigger sooner had I known about that promo

Current promo for now through September is for a damn cup
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Damn, that's a nice looking mount. I would've pulled the trigger sooner had I known about that promo

Current promo for now through September is for a damn cup
View Quote
Looks similar to the night force mounts. I thought that too when I purchased my P4Xi. 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 8:35:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote
Dang, I was a few days late on that one. All I'm getting is a cup.
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 1:40:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Anybody got the objective and eye tube size for cap fitting? 
Link Posted: 7/21/2017 5:51:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I use the Vortex #3 & #5, the 3 I use a small tie wrap to make it extra snug.

Vortex Caps
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 11:51:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I received my promo mount last week.  I actually like it a lot.  Very sturdy and lighter than some of the other options out there.  I would consider buying it to use on other optics.  Here are some picts.  Yest I am in CA.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:02:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Damn that's a nice mount the built in level is a neat feature. 
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Thank you for sharing those pictures.  I think it's an incredible value with the mount.  

ETA:  The gentleman I spoke with during my purchase at Sport Optics quoted a MSRP of $299.99 for the scope mount.  That number seems accurate based on the cost of Steiner rings.  

I think you'd be hard pressed to find a comparable quality set up at ~$470 shipped with mount.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 3:17:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm pretty sure there will be a few of these showing up in the E&E - like when I finally get mine.  I like the QD that came with my bundle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2017 7:13:00 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote
For the Butler Creek Blizzard caps you need size 2 and 6. The number 2 will be a little loose but the 6 should be about perfect. You could use a 5 on the rear but if you put it on all the way it will deform the shape enough that the cap won't lock properly.

Gander Mountain had a bunch on clearance last time I was there and their chart wasn't new enough to have the P4xi in it so I went off similar sized scopes and bought a couple different sizes thinking one of the two would be right, neither were. Right now I robbed a set off another scope I'm not using but they aren't the greatest.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 8:24:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Can anyone comment on the eye box at 4x vs a 4-x scope at 4x? Say, a Viper 4-16x at 4x.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 11:56:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Can anyone comment on the eye box at 4x vs a 4-x scope at 4x? Say, a Viper 4-16x at 4x.
View Quote
Apples to oranges. It just doesn't make much sense to compare the two in such a way. Eyebox is by and large a function of exit pupil, so comparing the exit pupil of a 50mm objective scope at low power to the exit pupil of a 24mm scope at high power isn't a good comparison. But, if that's your only point of reference, the best answer is "less than half". In other words, your Viper at 4x has a 12.5mm exit pupil and the P4Xi at 4x has a 6mm exit pupil, then you also need to factor in eye relief and such which play a smaller role in eyebox if your scope is set up properly. Long story short, you can guesstimate that the Vortex at low power is twice as forgiving as the Steiner at high power.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:19:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Apples to oranges. It just doesn't make much sense to compare the two in such a way. Eyebox is by and large a function of exit pupil, so comparing the exit pupil of a 50mm objective scope at low power to the exit pupil of a 24mm scope at high power isn't a good comparison. But, if that's your only point of reference, the best answer is "less than half". In other words, your Viper at 4x has a 12.5mm exit pupil and the P4Xi at 4x has a 6mm exit pupil, then you also need to factor in eye relief and such which play a smaller role in eyebox if your scope is set up properly. Long story short, you can guesstimate that the Vortex at low power is twice as forgiving as the Steiner at high power.
View Quote
I was going to mention the apples to oranges bit. This is a short to medium range optic while the Vortex would be more medium to long range. 
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 3:54:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
I haven't thought about the geometry. It makes sense why 1-4x scopes at 4x can never have the ample eye box and relief compared to a fixed 3x or 4x scope. I've found them to be a PITA to run on max magnification constantly. Bring up on 1x, take a shot or adjust magnification - well enough. Leave on 4x, bring up the gun, spend 2-3sec moving the head around. And shooting something bigger, like 308, forces me to reposition after each shot, too
Link Posted: 7/26/2017 1:57:01 PM EDT
[#21]
If you're running it at 4x most of the time, it's better to get a prism or some other fixed 3x or 4x optic instead. It will be much better suited for the type of shooting it sounds like you're doing.

I think of a 1-4x as something I'm going to run on 1x 95% of the time, not the other way around. Basically a red dot replacement that compensates for flawed eyesight (I am nearsighted and have astigmatism). But, unlike a 1x prism which is closer to an actual red dot alternative, the 1-4x has enough added versatility to justify the increased size and weight, therefore it's a better option than 1x prisms (in my opinion). Magnification only comes into play for precision work or the occasional longer shot to 400 yards or so, neither of which are things I primarily use my carbine for. This is why a center illuminated dot that is daylight visible is so important and makes the P4Xi a better choice than something like a Strike Eagle, Gen 1 PST, or any of the other dozens of <$600 optics out there.

Of course it all depends on the application and YMMV.
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:05:08 PM EDT
[#22]
I've had the P4xi for a bit now but I think I set it up incorrectly because to me the eye box doesnt seem very wide.  What I mean is that I have to be perfectly behind the scope or else I don't get the full sight picture and I get vignetting.  Is eye box the right term for this? Pretty new to rifle scopes still.  

Should I take it to get professionally installed or is this a waste of money?
Link Posted: 7/27/2017 7:18:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I've had the P4xi for a bit now but I think I set it up incorrectly because to me the eye box doesnt seem very wide.  What I mean is that I have to be perfectly behind the scope or else I don't get the full sight picture and I get vignetting.  Is eye box the right term for this? Pretty new to rifle scopes still.  

View Quote
Mounting a scope is not rocket science, you should be able to do it on your own. I believe this scope has an ideal eye relief in the 3.75ish inch range. Meaning, your eye, should be, 3.75ish inches from the objective lens. For most, this puts the objective lens ending at about the back side of the upper receiver.

Where does yours end?

Snipers hide (I think) had some good videos I believe on youtube about scope mounting to ensure the optic is adjusted properly for you to naturally fall into the scopes ideal range. My rifles all come up to my head and require nearly 0 adjustment of any kind to be in the sweet spot.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 8:30:31 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Mounting a scope is not rocket science, you should be able to do it on your own. I believe this scope has an ideal eye relief in the 3.75ish inch range. Meaning, your eye, should be, 3.75ish inches from the objective lens. For most, this puts the objective lens ending at about the back side of the upper receiver.

Where does yours end?

Snipers hide (I think) had some good videos I believe on youtube about scope mounting to ensure the optic is adjusted properly for you to naturally fall into the scopes ideal range. My rifles all come up to my head and require nearly 0 adjustment of any kind to be in the sweet spot.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where does yours end?

Scope mounting starts around 1:20 on this video.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DKUbfGyn3c0
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:50:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Just got mine and am excited to try it out. Looks simple but clear and awesome. Definitely seems daylight bright. I had a Burris Mtac before and just couldn't stand the huge reticle and the horrible daytime brightness with it
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 1:52:07 PM EDT
[#26]
bubble level on a 1-4X scope is eye candy and not much more...  as you're not dialing come ups... just saying.....
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 2:32:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
bubble level on a 1-4X scope is eye candy and not much more...  as you're not dialing come ups... just saying.....
View Quote
Not dialing, but a canted rifle trying to shoot small steel at 500ish, it can make a difference.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 5:20:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Not dialing, but a canted rifle trying to shoot small steel at 500ish, it can make a difference.
View Quote
Funny how no one could engage out to 500 ish prior to scope mount makers building scope mounts with bubble levels built into them.... Just saying.

To me, its eye candy...on that set up.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:07:35 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Funny how no one could engage out to 500 ish prior to scope mount makers building scope mounts with bubble levels built into them.... Just saying.

View Quote
are you really complaining that they threw an integrated bubble level into the mount? you aren't stuck only using this on a 1-4 you know lol.Steiner makes great stuff and i'm more than pleased to get a free mount even if it was super basic.I dont even have a need for it right now and ill just throw it in the parts drawer and be happy I have an extra to save myself some money down the road.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 7:55:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
are you really complaining that they threw an integrated bubble level into the mount? you aren't stuck only using this on a 1-4 you know lol.Steiner makes great stuff and i'm more than pleased to get a free mount even if it was super basic.I dont even have a need for it right now and ill just throw it in the parts drawer and be happy I have an extra to save myself some money down the road.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All I'm saying is for THAT set up, it's more for looks and let for function. lelvel have there place, but on a 1-4 that ain't it.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did I say that?  

I don't have the scope mount, probably won't have the scope mount.  It's still not a bad idea.  They will get used for other scopes with 30mm tubes.
Link Posted: 7/31/2017 1:32:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Where did I say that?  

I don't have the scope mount, probably won't have the scope mount.  It's still not a bad idea.  They will get used for other scopes with 30mm tubes.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where did I say that?  

Relax... You didn't.... I'm not calling you out for ass raping a Kitten....

I get it, its a 30MM mount that you could use for anything. I simply made the observation that a bubble level in a 1-4 is a waste (I used the term Eye candy, cause a lot of shooters like shit that is cool, but not necessarily functional).

And even with a larger precision scope, you're never going to see that level when your head is in a shooting position to  see thru the scope, unless you break your check weld. which makes it eye candy.

now back to the Steiner thread....
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 8:39:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Relax... You didn't.... I'm not calling you out for ass raping a Kitten....

I get it, its a 30MM mount that you could use for anything. I simply made the observation that a bubble level in a 1-4 is a waste (I used the term Eye candy, cause a lot of shooters like shit that is cool, but not necessarily functional).

And even with a larger precision scope, you're never going to see that level when your head is in a shooting position to  see thru the scope, unless you break your check weld. which makes it eye candy.

now back to the Steiner thread....
View Quote
Lol @kitten.

Fair points.  I still want to try one of these and see if it is light enough to not change the handling on my suppressed AR pistol.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:14:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Lol @kitten.

Fair points.  I still want to try one of these and see if it is light enough to not change the handling on my suppressed AR pistol.
View Quote
Grab aero precision lightweight mount. I have spr and it's 3.5 oz
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 11:48:57 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Grab aero precision lightweight mount. I have spr and it's 3.5 oz
View Quote
This is good advice.

Due to worsening eyesight, I went from a 7.5oz Sparc AR to a 24.5oz P4Xi in an ADM mount on my SBR. The weight difference was definitely noticeable and I didn't like that it felt top-heavy. I switched to an Aero Precision 30mm SPR mount and dropped the BUIS (since I was now using a non-QD mount anyways) and those two changes allowed me to drop 7oz total from the top rail. It still gained 5/8ths of a pound vs. the already heavy red dot (comparatively speaking), but now I can actually see my target quickly and clearly with or without corrective lenses.

It's definitely a pain in the ass to level your scope in the Aero mounts due to the shape of the cantilever and the fact that the torque from the ring screws will rotate the scope clockwise as you tighten them, so it takes trial and error to get it properly installed. But, once you get it aligned, properly torqued, and blue Loctite applied, it's a very solid setup and it weighs half of what just about every other mount on the market does.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 1:54:47 AM EDT
[#36]
Went to range with Steiner for first time and it was money. Very clear. Excellent daytime brightness. Eye relief might be a little less than anticipated but just have to set up a little more precise.
Link Posted: 8/7/2017 12:08:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Was able to put some rounds behind mine and noticed something with the reticle and was wondering if anyone elses is the same or if mine is messed up.

First, i do understand the lines are thicker on the outer edge and thin out as they go to the center,  but on the line that goes up from the center, it gets thicker.  From the top of the scope it starts out thick and thins out as it goes to thr center, but then thickens up again.  It also almost looks like that line is off to the right, not making a perfect cross.

Ill try and get some pics when i can, but hopfully the description makes sense.  Anyone elses  notice this or seeing this on theirs?

Really liking everything elses about it though.

Thanks
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 2:59:14 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Was able to put some rounds behind mine and noticed something with the reticle and was wondering if anyone elses is the same or if mine is messed up.

First, i do understand the lines are thicker on the outer edge and thin out as they go to the center,  but on the line that goes up from the center, it gets thicker.  From the top of the scope it starts out thick and thins out as it goes to thr center, but then thickens up again.  It also almost looks like that line is off to the right, not making a perfect cross.

Ill try and get some pics when i can, but hopfully the description makes sense.  Anyone elses  notice this or seeing this on theirs?

Thanks
View Quote
I took a look at mine and I don't see the line getting thick again above center. The crosshairs look in line too and seem to make a good cross. Definitely tapers thinner inward but don't see anything that gets thicker
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:36:58 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I took a look at mine and I don't see the line getting thick again above center. The crosshairs look in line too and seem to make a good cross. Definitely tapers thinner inward but don't see anything that gets thicker
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks
Thanks for checking, i have been talking with another member and getting the same info, ive got a repair deal started with steiner, havent heard back yet.

Has anyone been able to get them on the phone?  No one is answering...
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 7:52:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
View Quote
Here's one of my reference pics so see if yours is different:

Link Posted: 8/11/2017 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#41]
Here are kirbykid's

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Here's mine

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Something just looks a little odd with that vertical above dead center
Link Posted: 8/11/2017 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Yeah kirbykids does have a weird little blip.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 10:11:31 AM EDT
[#43]
Thanks for posting those!  Like i said have a repair claim started, but no reply and tried calling a bunch of times and their automated thing says no operator was available.

Ill keep trying and update this as it progresses.

Again thanks for the help guys!
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 12:07:29 PM EDT
[#44]
On sale at DVOR for $450

https://www.dvor.com/steiner-1-4x24mm-p4xi-30mm-tactical-riflescope.html?promotion=secret-sale-on-optics-91-2017-08-12

DSG seems to run unadvertised sales. I think they were $550 sometime this week with a Midwest Industries mount. The Strike Eagle 1-8 showed $450 with the MI mount the week before I think. You just have to log in and look every couple of days.
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 6:59:12 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
On sale at DVOR for $450

https://www.dvor.com/steiner-1-4x24mm-p4xi-30mm-tactical-riflescope.html?promotion=secret-sale-on-optics-91-2017-08-12

DSG seems to run unadvertised sales. I think they were $550 sometime this week with a Midwest Industries mount. The Strike Eagle 1-8 showed $450 with the MI mount the week before I think. You just have to log in and look every couple of days.
View Quote
Right now DSG has the Steiner for $525 with a Burris mount. Last week the same combo was $475. With the MI mount they want $589
Link Posted: 8/12/2017 7:32:13 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
On sale at DVOR for $450

View Quote
That is the model 5201 without the throw lever, the model 5202 has the throw lever. DSGarms has the 5202 with no mount for $463.99 if you log-in.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 1:59:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

That is the model 5201 without the throw lever, the model 5202 has the throw lever. DSGarms has the 5202 with no mount for $463.99 if you log-in.
View Quote
Anyone buying the Steiner will want the throw lever.  The adjustment ring is very stiff.  As you stated, you have to be careful with this scope because one comes with the throw lever and one does not.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 2:48:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Anyone buying the Steiner will want the throw lever.  The adjustment ring is very stiff.  As you stated, you have to be careful with this scope because one comes with the throw lever and one does not.
View Quote
Mine wasn't stiff. I could easily move it by hand without a throw lever, but I like the lever anyways.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 12:48:48 AM EDT
[#49]
Can anybody tell me how they feel about the PST Gen II vs the Steiner? Walked into my lgs the other day and they have the Vortex priced at $509 which is a huge discount. DSG has the Steiner at $463. So for my case price isn't much of a difference. It would ride mainly on my 10.3 with the possibility of a future grendel build. My range just added a 500 yard target but i doubt i will do any shooting out to that unless the grendel becomes a reality. So for the focus of right now my main shooting is 300 yards and in.
Link Posted: 8/18/2017 8:20:46 AM EDT
[#50]
I traded an accupower 1-4, green bdc, for a p4xi last week.

First impressions:

- Glass seems about the same, maybe slightly improved
- Much simpler reticle, akin to vortex JM-1
- Bright as fuck illumination
- Main crosshair lines in the reticle are a good bit thicker. One of the main selling points of the accupower was how crisp the lines were.
- The warranty makes me feel all warm and fuzzy.
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top