Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
Posted: 7/8/2016 11:30:19 PM EDT
Anybody try one of these yet? I'm considering this for a carbine build.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 12:27:21 AM EDT
[#1]
I've seen em listed on DSG, tag for info
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 1:31:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Looked them up.   If I hadn't just bought an AccuPower this one seems very viable
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 2:29:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm kind of questioning it because their prism optics are at the same price point, how could they produce a nice 1-4 variable for the same cost? I'm guessing they had to compromise somewhere whether be it in glass or illumination.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 3:23:53 PM EDT
[#4]
Tag. I'm scheduled to review one shortly. I'll post it up when done.
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 5:00:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Oh awesome please do let us know soon as you can !
Link Posted: 7/9/2016 9:36:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Those specs look great and the price is right. I'm sure it's going to do well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:30:48 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Please do!
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 4:06:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Im interested in this as well.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:11:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Looks like it will be priced along side the Accupower (on sale) and the VX-R Patrol.

Looking forward to some reviews.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 1:19:40 PM EDT
[#10]
If this has a daylight bright reticle with a true 1x this could be a winner.
Link Posted: 7/10/2016 3:09:03 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If this has a daylight bright reticle with a true 1x this could be a winner.
View Quote

It looks like the same reticle as their more expensive T and M lines. Those are daylight bright, so fingers crossed.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote

Bumping this. Really wanting to see how this are.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:25:10 AM EDT
[#13]
Anyone have any experience with the warranty process on Steiner products?  Several of their new products have my interest, but I'm hesitant, since it's a German company and I've heard horror stories about other over foreign based optic companies.  I guess Vortex's warranty has spoiled me, not that I've ever had to use it.  Piece of mind I guess.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:28:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with the warranty process on Steiner products?  Several of their new products have my interest, but I'm hesitant, since it's a German company and I've heard horror stories about other over foreign based optic companies.  I guess Vortex's warranty has spoiled me.
View Quote

Its supposed to be similar to vortex here is their warranty page.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Anyone have any experience with the warranty process on Steiner products?  Several of their new products have my interest, but I'm hesitant, since it's a German company and I've heard horror stories about other over foreign based optic companies.  I guess Vortex's warranty has spoiled me, not that I've ever had to use it.  Piece of mind I guess.
View Quote

Steiner is also owned by burris now, so keep that in mind
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Tagged ...
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 12:25:25 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually they're both owned by Beretta Defense.
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 3:21:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Review anywhere?
Link Posted: 7/20/2016 10:49:59 PM EDT
[#19]
On the Steiner product site a rep said the following re the illumination

SteinerOptics3
· 2 days ago  
The Illumination system is nearly identical to the T5Xi, the P4Xi *1-4x* weighs 17.3 oz
View Quote

Interested what the battery life is and how the reticle does without illumination.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 9:07:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I wish people would stop repeating that, because it is in no way true.

Both are owned by Beretta Defense. The umbrella company which owns Beretta, Sako, Benelli, Steiner and others.

It's like saying that Cadillac is owned by Buick.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:12:14 AM EDT
[#21]
Looking at pictures, it seems as if there isn't a throw lever to more easily transition through magnification.  Also curious about glass clarity and reticle ease to use.  

This optic still looks to be a great value.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:39:08 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Both are owned by Beretta Defense. The umbrella company which owns Beretta, Sako, Benelli, Steiner and others.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or you could quite nit picking. They fall under the same group, so for my post that was referencing potential warranty issues, it didn't matter that I wasn't 100% correct because it still gave weight to the idea that warranty issues wouldn't be a big deal as you wouldn't be sending your scope off to some small, foreign company.

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:16:26 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Or you could quite nit picking. They fall under the same group, so for my post that was referencing potential warranty issues, it didn't matter that I wasn't 100% correct because it still gave weight to the idea that warranty issues wouldn't be a big deal as you wouldn't be sending your scope off to some small, foreign company.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually it's not nitpicking, there is a reason he used the Cadillac and Buick comparison. Cadillac is higher end luxury cars and Buick is more aimed at being affordable I believe Buick does have some higher end models but not many. Now if Buick had control over Cadillac some people might think that Buick would push Cadillac to make some of the same affordable and lesser quallity stuff and thus it may effect Cadillacs reputation.

So back to our comparison with Burris owning Steiner, some may think Burris might try to push the lower quality Philippines and Chinese products to be produced by Steiner. So while yes it may not mean anything in terms to the warranty it may have the unintentional effect of damaging Steiners reputation. Also just because 2 companies are owned by the same umbrella corporation wouldn't necessarily mean they have the same warranty policy, obviously in this case they do though. So while it may seem like nitpicking but there is an important distinction.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 11:56:21 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Actually it's not nitpicking, there is a reason he used the Cadillac and Buick comparison. Cadillac is higher end luxury cars and Buick is more aimed at being affordable I believe Buick does have some higher end models but not many. Now if Buick had control over Cadillac some people might think that Buick would push Cadillac to make some of the same affordable and lesser quallity stuff and thus it may effect Cadillacs reputation.

So back to our comparison with Burris owning Steiner, some may think Burris might try to push the lower quality Philippines and Chinese products to be produced by Steiner. So while yes it may not mean anything in terms to the warranty it may have the unintentional effect of damaging Steiners reputation. Also just because 2 companies are owned by the same umbrella corporation wouldn't necessarily mean they have the same warranty policy, obviously in this case they do though. So while it may seem like nitpicking but there is an important distinction.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Except my original post was in direct reference to the warranty. So everything else you said, while true, is irrelevant.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 12:52:24 PM EDT
[#25]
Believe what you like you were incorrect and were therefore corrected.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Believe what you like you were incorrect and were therefore corrected.
View Quote

yes sir, sorry sir, it won't happen again sir

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 4:41:41 PM EDT
[#27]
Back on topic ...Called Steiner today ... Per the rep

Glass:  Uses German glass; same glass as in the T5 and M5
Assembled:  Assembled In Oregon
Illumination:  same as t5 and m5

Link Posted: 7/21/2016 6:32:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote

I wonder how they can sell them so cheap? Sounds like a winner. Have to debate myself if there's something I can actually do with one of these.
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 10:55:16 PM EDT
[#29]
I-4 is much easier to make them a 1-5, etc. A 3-9 is much easier to make them a 1-4.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 12:47:04 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

View Quote

If this is true, idk how steiner is pulling it off. I'm super tempted to try this one out then.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:58:46 AM EDT
[#31]
I called and got some more info ...

- submersible to 33 ft

- I asked about runtime and I got an indirect answer ... they averaged it out across all the levels and said 1000 hours.  Obviously the highest setting will probably be a fraction of that.  Heck, the trijicon accupower said 30 hours on their highest level.  I am guessing they have EOTech XPS like battery life at usable levels during daytime ... 200-300 hours?

-The lower cost is due to the fact the 1-4 assemblies are easier to make compared to the 1-5, no zero stops (but they are capped) and assembled in Oregon

I am really torn if I should get another aimpoint for my rifle or take a dip in the LPVO world.  These things would have to absolutely rock at 1x as an aimpoint replacement.  Not sure I want to roll the dice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 11:37:06 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I called and got some more info ...

- submersible to 33 ft

- I asked about runtime and I got an indirect answer ... they averaged it out across all the levels and said 1000 hours.  Obviously the highest setting will probably be a fraction of that.  Heck, the trijicon accupower said 30 hours on their highest level.  I am guessing they have EOTech XPS like battery life at usable levels during daytime ... 200-300 hours?

-The lower cost is due to the fact the 1-4 assemblies are easier to make compared to the 1-5, no zero stops (but they are capped) and assembled in Oregon

I am really torn if I should get another aimpoint for my rifle or take a dip in the LPVO world.  These things would have to absolutely rock at 1x as an aimpoint replacement.  Not sure I want to roll the dice.
View Quote

Do you have other available uppers/rifles with aimpoints? If so, I'd take a chance on an lpvo.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 2:16:57 PM EDT
[#33]
I'd get the variable honestly I'm considering selling my Aimpoints to get one of those. As long as the variable is duty grade (this one seems to be made for that purpose) I believe variables with a QD mount and BUIS have the advantage. I like to remove the variable optics and just use the flip up sights for HD. My only hesitation on this is that the operating temperature range bottoms out at -13 F and it does get colder than that in December through February in AK.
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 10:09:21 AM EDT
[#34]
Anyone order one of these yet?  I can't make up my mind.  Should I get this or the Combat Scope 3x?  I've already got a 30mm Aero mount...

I need glass for my 14.5" upper.  It wore a Primary Arms 1-6 previously.

Link Posted: 7/26/2016 12:41:17 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Anyone order one of these yet?  I can't make up my mind.  Should I get this or the Combat Scope 3x?  I've already got a 30mm Aero mount...

I need glass for my 14.5" upper.  It wore a Primary Arms 1-6 previously.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/tiluftlk/media/crap/20160304_180719_zpsahswjusz.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v325/tiluftlk/crap/20160304_180719_zpsahswjusz.jpg</a>

View Quote

I would get one of these for the 1x setting. The glass is said to be on par with the T5xi
Link Posted: 7/26/2016 11:29:35 PM EDT
[#36]
I'm in for 2.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 1:25:16 AM EDT
[#37]
Bumping this because I'm curious about this scope.

Has anyone actually gotten their hands on one yet?
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 12:29:35 AM EDT
[#38]
That looks like glass made in Germany, assembled in the US and the rest of the scope is made in China (or alike).

What absolutely kills it for me are those 17 ounces. I don't spent an extra grand or two in order to save a couple pounds on my builds just so I can slap it right back on with a cheap heavy weight.

Talking about close(r) range combat scopes, I wish we could have a sub 7 ounce 1-4 illuminated scope with proper hold over reticle, best possible glass, true 1x, 1” tube and everything made in Europe, like a Kahles or Bender & Schmidt. I’d drop $2k or $3k on that. The only lightweight 1 – 4 scopes are Asian made crap with a tiny box, fake 1x, useless pic reticle and magnification rings that need a crowbar to operate.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 8:08:10 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
That looks like glass made in Germany, assembled in the US and the rest of the scope is made in China (or alike).

What absolutely kills it for me are those 17 ounces. I don't spent an extra grand or two in order to save a couple pounds on my builds just so I can slap it right back on with a cheap heavy weight.

Talking about close(r) range combat scopes, I wish we could have a sub 7 ounce 1-4 illuminated scope with proper hold over reticle, best possible glass, true 1x, 1” tube and everything made in Europe, like a Kahles or Bender & Schmidt. I’d drop $2k or $3k on that. The only lightweight 1 – 4 scopes are Asian made crap with a tiny box, fake 1x, useless pic reticle and magnification rings that need a crowbar to operate.
View Quote

Thin tubes are lighter weight but more easily bent / dented when dropped.  I recall a thread where a TR24 (trijicon accupoint) tube was bent after the rifle rear sling swivel let go and it the rifle hit the dirt ... A 3 foot fall.

No free lunch unfortunately.

Don't forget the mount - a typical mount (larue, bobro, adm, pepr) are all in the 7 oz range .  Aero mounts are 3 oz but I just saw a pic from superset recently of one of those broken at the hinge.  Cutting weight typically means less material and that makes it more susceptible to deformation.

I'm inline with your thinking though. The question I'm still debating is it the higher cost/weight, lower battery life (for daylight bright 1x use) and lower toughness - are worth the 4/5/6x magnification.  This is compared to an Aimpoint ml3 and mount which I can get for sub $500 / 12 oz / multi year battery life and great 1x performance.

ETA:  there is no info on Chinese parts. I would guess anything non-us or German is manufactured in the phillipines given the relationship with Burris.  Steiner and Burris seem to be sharing design elements in a few of their lines given common ownership.

I'm still interested in this scope, the xtr ii 1-5 and the tr24 green triangle.   Will be 6 months before I make a purchase though.
Link Posted: 7/31/2016 3:00:22 PM EDT
[#40]
Who ever snapped that Aero mount must have been really torquing on it, it only takes 18-20inch pounds to lock down a scope. I have been using them since they cam out, currently running two of them and have had zero issues, admittedly it is a slight pain in the ass to level scope due to the hinge design tends to roll the scope a bit when tightening but once you have used them enough it quite east to set the proper amount of pre-cant to get it level when torquing. The only reason I would use a different mount is if I where going with a QD mount and then it would be an American Defense or maybe another Larue.
Link Posted: 8/1/2016 6:36:37 PM EDT
[#41]
Damn no one has one for a review???
Link Posted: 8/2/2016 9:19:53 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Thin tubes are lighter weight but more easily bent / dented when dropped.  I recall a thread where a TR24 (trijicon accupoint) tube was bent after the rifle rear sling swivel let go and it the rifle hit the dirt ... A 3 foot fall.
View Quote

I’ve got an Aero 1” mount, they are 3 ounces, I bet I could stand on one without breaking it. I also own the pig scope from Leupold and the muzzleloader scope from Vortex, both are around 8 ounces with 1” tube. Bending either will require a lot of abuse which will not happen with my gear, not at the range, not at 3 gun, not in a SD situation and not even in a SHTF scenario.

I’m in the carbon fiber tubing industry. I bet I could develop a 1-4 scope below 6 ounces. Maybe I’ll look into it… those 14 - 17 ounce 1 - 4/5/6 scopes are really out of place. Many of them are being used at 3 gun and most 3 gun pros try to save weight where they can. Spending $500 on small Titanium parts from V7 and spending $3000 on that Bender & Schmidt 1-8 fat ass scope at 23 ounces don’t really match that well. I bought the Kahles 1-6 at 16.9 ounces instead, still too heavy.

Link Posted: 8/3/2016 3:07:59 PM EDT
[#43]
My friend bought one this week, daylight visable dot in sunlight.

One thing though, you can't set the turrets to zero after sighting it in, I emailed Steiner asking about this and was told no can do.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 4:02:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I’ve got an Aero 1” mount, they are 3 ounces, I bet I could stand on one without breaking it. I also own the pig scope from Leupold and the muzzleloader scope from Vortex, both are around 8 ounces with 1” tube. Bending either will require a lot of abuse which will not happen with my gear, not at the range, not at 3 gun, not in a SD situation and not even in a SHTF scenario.

I’m in the carbon fiber tubing industry. I bet I could develop a 1-4 scope below 6 ounces. Maybe I’ll look into it… those 14 - 17 ounce 1 - 4/5/6 scopes are really out of place. Many of them are being used at 3 gun and most 3 gun pros try to save weight where they can. Spending $500 on small Titanium parts from V7 and spending $3000 on that Bender & Schmidt 1-8 fat ass scope at 23 ounces don’t really match that well. I bought the Kahles 1-6 at 16.9 ounces instead, still too heavy.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you know more than the manufacturers that have been doing this stuff for decades.
Link Posted: 8/3/2016 5:38:39 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If it's that easy, just do it.
Link Posted: 8/6/2016 8:25:49 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
My friend bought one this week, daylight visable dot in sunlight.

One thing though, you can't set the turrets to zero after sighting it in, I emailed Steiner asking about this and was told no can do.
View Quote

Can you / your buddy post some pics and a review?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 2:23:40 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Any update on your review?
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 3:01:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Still don't have it yet. If I had to guess, they are filling orders before sending out test units. Can't blame them, really.
Link Posted: 8/15/2016 9:13:59 PM EDT
[#49]
I have one coming to me this week and will post what I think when I get it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2016 12:27:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I have one coming to me this week and will post what I think when I get it.
View Quote

Excellent.

I've been poised to buy this a few times but lack of reviews has kept me on the sideline.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 25
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top