Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/14/2010 7:00:30 PM EDT
I just received my Eotech 553 FDE and to my HORROR, it has a set of QD's for rail mounting BUILT into it! As in, they CANNOT be removed unless you disassemble the WHOLE UNIT. It seems pretty solid though, and are made by a company named ARMS, but you cannot tighten or loosen tension easily like you can with Larue, and does not have a locking mechanism.
I wanted to mount a Larue LT110 with the adapter for my PVS 14. But now I can't.

Even though I was planning a FDE build, I am probably going to return these and get the eotech 552/LT110 Larue Combo

What are the differences between the 553 and 552? Besides available colors?

Thanks

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:24:19 PM EDT
The 553 uses two CR123 batteries. The 552 uses two AA batteries. The 553 also has a small amount of extra height built into it. The 553 has been plagued with reliability issues that may or may not have been solved.

I would recommend the new XPS 3-0, it is NV compatible and uses a transverse mounted single CR123 that should alleviate some of the issues that cropped up with the other types. I have been using an XPS 2-0 with success for a few months, and have yet to see any reports of issues like the 553s had.
Link Posted: 9/15/2010 2:37:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 2:38:01 PM EDT by Policetacteam]
The 553 has been plagued with reliability issues that may or may not have been solved.

Hmm....this is the first I've heard of it. I've been running a 553 on my entry rifle for well over a year and I've encountered ZERO issues! Great optic...a tad bit heavy but it's solid!
Top Top