Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 8:29:21 AM EDT
Awhile back I decided to try one of the PA micro dots as a proof of concept before I actually considered putting down the $$$ for the aimpoint.   I really like the PA Micro and found it just as easy to hit with as my Eotech and maybe even a little faster.   Now I want one on my go-to rifle.  With the PA I see a lack of decent lens covers.   The Bikini cover is somewhat useable but lacking.  Is there a flip up cover available for the Aimpoint Micro?    Also I'm not so sure I like the lower 1/3 cowitness but it may grow on me however I'd like to know mounting options for absolute cowitness.  

Practical differences between the H1 and T1?   ( if I'm underwater I'm in alot of trouble since I can barely dogpaddle)

What are the cons to the Micro series vs the larger units like the M2/M3/M4 ?  

I'm retiring my Eotech from service on my HD rifle due to it's 2nd trip back for repairs (would not come up to full brightness)  

Also I noticed on the Vortex Sparc they have a screw in magnifier, is there something comparable for the Aimpoint of am I just going to have to swing for the $$$ aimpoint magnifier with FTS mount?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:16:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Awhile back I decided to try one of the PA micro dots as a proof of concept before I actually considered putting down the $$$ for the aimpoint.   I really like the PA Micro and found it just as easy to hit with as my Eotech and maybe even a little faster.   Now I want one on my go-to rifle.  With the PA I see a lack of decent lens covers.   The Bikini cover is somewhat useable but lacking.  Is there a flip up cover available for the Aimpoint Micro?

No, there is not a separate flip up cover for the Micro, but GG&G makes a mount with an integral flip up covers.

Also I'm not so sure I like the lower 1/3 cowitness but it may grow on me however I'd like to know mounting options for absolute cowitness.  

GG&G is absolute - and I agree with you, 1/3 co-witness suck (IMHO).  If you wanted to go cheap, you can use a 1/2" riser (such as YHM) on your flat top and the original rail grabber that the Micro comes with, but you'll be stuck with the rubber bikini covers.

Practical differences between the H1 and T1?   ( if I'm underwater I'm in alot of trouble since I can barely dogpaddle)

H1 has no night vision capability and is not rated for depth as much as the T1.  I also HEAR, do not know how true it is, that the T1 has better lens coating than the H1.  Someone should come in and provide more info about this.

What are the cons to the Micro series vs the larger units like the M2/M3/M4 ?  

I do not like the rheostat control for the Micro T-1s that I have - I had to constantly switch between 8 - 10 depends on overcast / day condition.  For self defense use, my default setting for the T-1 is at "10".  With the M4, I can set it at "11" and it will work for 99% of shooting conditions I do.  I also find that the rheostat control on some T-1s to be "positive" and others to be somewhat "slushy", but that's a minor "issue" (not even an issue, actually).

I also do not like the battery cap on the T-1.  Some T-1 you need to tighten the hell out of the battery cap (or else you'll have the "disappearing dot blues" due to recoil), while others need only to be finger tightened.  I have one that I had to crank super super tight with a quarter before the dot would stay on reliably, while the other - I just needed my finger to tighten the cap and it still good unitl now.

I'm retiring my Eotech from service on my HD rifle due to it's 2nd trip back for repairs (would not come up to full brightness)  

Also I noticed on the Vortex Sparc they have a screw in magnifier, is there something comparable for the Aimpoint of am I just going to have to swing for the $$$ aimpoint magnifier with FTS mount?

I can't comment on this one, sorry.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I know LaRue just came out with an absolute co-witness mount for the T1/H1 combo.

I have an H1 that I got in a trade with a friend and I love it. I haven't heard about the different lens coating, and I figured that if I get night vision, I'll have enough to get a T1...haha.

I haven't had any problems with it being 'slushie' and I just tighten the battery finger tight.

I had an ML2 back in the day and I like the H1 a little bit more. It is smaller and lighter and I just like it better, also the 2032 batteries are wicked cheaper than the N1/3 batteries.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 10:27:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Really?  You are not talking about the HK type QD mount for the T-1?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:26:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=475
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 1:32:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://stores.homestead.com/Laruetactical/Detail.bok?no=475

Its about friggin' time.  I don't know why Larue said for SO LONG that there was no need
for an absolute co-witness mount for the micros.  They repeated several times that they
would NEVER make one.......I see now that customers DO get what they want.  This is a
good example of even the best manufacturers in the business learning from their loyal
customers.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top